PS4 Won't Support Dual Shock 3

Chambers35

dshock3610.jpg

According to Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, the next-gen PlayStation won't support the PS3's Dual Shock controller. However, the original Move motion controller will be a part of Sony's next-gen plan

Yoshida said, "No, [PS4] doesn't support DualShock 3, but it does support PS Move."

This isn't surprising news, given that the new Dual Shock controller features a touchpad that presumably offers new controller input mechanics for games that wouldn't be possible with the previous iteration of the controller. Move support was also expected, as the new Dual Shock actually features a move sensor built into the controller. However, it does mean that, if you want to play multiplayer amongst friends on the couch, you'll have to pony up the money for all-new controllers.

Source

Can't say that I didn't expect it, but I suppose it would have been nice to have some backup pads.

Edited by Chambers35

that is good to be aware of. I have one DS3 (my spare) on its last legs and I aint replacing it if its sun sets on me now.

As for the existing move being supported - well I am delighted to hear that, as I splurged over £100 on two moves and one navi 2 years ago that now only get switched on to drain out and be recharged :(

So with better move games they might finally see some use!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not surprised, just like PS2 controllers are not compatable for the PS3, i figured as much for the PS3 controllers to the PS4. only reason why is cause they make money of people having to buy another 3 controllers for there house instead of just getting there old PS3 controllers. only makes sense. -_-  

The more important question is, WILL THE PS4 Controllers work on PS3 systems!!!? All of you saying you aint gonna buy a DS3 cause it wont work on PS4, are you saying you are NOT going to play PS3 games!? Sony knows this! They know you will still play PS3 games on a PS3 system so you will still need DS3 controllers. Sony wants to market 2 consoles!! why do you think PS4 cant play Ps3 games!? Like itll cost that much more to somehow build a PS4 that also plays PS3 game in some form. It is way better to have us buy a seperate PS3 at 300$~ to play PS3 games. I dont think itll cost 300$~ to somehow incorporate Ps3 backwards compatibility, but they just wont because theykll make more money.

Remember how expensive the PlayStation 3 was on launch? A lot of that was because of the massive cost to have the PS3 be backwards compatible, so the cost was put on the consumer. I'm sure there is a way to make the PS4 backwards compatible but then the PS4 will have a massive launch price and Sony will have a PS3 on their hands all over again.

I have a launch 60gb PS3 and I can count on both hands the amount of times I've played PS2 games on it. The games don't play as well as they did on PS2 and hardly any one used the BC so Sony axed it and in turn was able to drop the system price as well.

Parker