Encouragement for those turned off by the difficulty

AndresLionheart

@Dragon-Archon Nice =D. I hope you enjoy it (and suffer a bit, too, since it's part of the experience =p)

One thing I commented on that guide was that Bibliophilia is labeled as a collectable. I'm not even sure if you can read the final entry other than outside the final boss door.

When I did it I was on my third character and had read like 3 entries. The door to the final boss was closed and it didn't open until I read the book right before it. It then gave me the trophy and unlocked all the other 20 or so entries I never found. In other words, it is actually just an unmissable.

35 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

@Dragon-Archon Nice =D. I hope you enjoy it (and suffer a bit, too, since it's part of the experience =p)

One thing I commented on that guide was that Bibliophilia is labeled as a collectable. I'm not even sure if you can read the final entry other than outside the final boss door.

When I did it I was on my third character and had read like 3 entries. The door to the final boss was closed and it didn't open until I read the book right before it. It then gave me the trophy and unlocked all the other 20 or so entries I never found. In other words, it is actually just an unmissable.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it and suffering a lot :lol: . I saw that comment, will test it out before adding it just in case :) .

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 6:05 PM, AndresLionheart said:

Got the trophy too for all journal entries. Stopped at entry #20, then read entry #25 before the final boss and got them all. I'll add it to the guide with a credit to you.

Also unlocked all the remix bosses and those are a huge step up. Can't even deplete half the health bar before dying.

18 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Got the trophy too for all journal entries. Stopped at entry #20, then read entry #25 before the final boss and got them all. I'll add it to the guide with a credit to you.

Also unlocked all the remix bosses and those are a huge step up. Can't even deplete half the health bar before dying.

Nice. Thanks =).

The remix bosses may be difficult, but at least you can try as many times as you like with no penalty. From hardest to easiest I would rank them: Neo Khidr > Alexander the IV > Ponce de Freon > Astrodotus > 5th boss (its name kinda spoils it).

I was also wondering, since I don't remember my PS4 version updating, if they added the thing to pay gold in front of the remix boss door to improve the character, like they did for the Steam version a few months ago.

I just happened to be doing the achievements there and they added that right after I was done, so I didn't even get to check the prices and how much it helps.

27 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

Nice. Thanks =).

The remix bosses may be difficult, but at least you can try as many times as you like with no penalty. From hardest to easiest I would rank them: Neo Khidr > Alexander the IV > Ponce de Freon > Astrodotus > 5th boss (its name kinda spoils it).

I was also wondering, since I don't remember my PS4 version updating, if they added the thing to pay gold in front of the remix boss door to improve the character, like they did for the Steam version a few months ago.

I just happened to be doing the achievements there and they added that right after I was done, so I didn't even get to check the prices and how much it helps.

Yeah, I'm glad dying during those fights doesn't count as an actual death. Would've been a nightmare otherwise. Managed to defeat Astrodotus after ~5 hours of trying. I was getting frustrated and tried to vent by continuously pressing the attack button... suddenly I'm down to 2 of the smallest blobs :lol: . Thanks for the recommendation, I've tried the first 4 bosses and Ponce the Freon does seem like the least hardest of them. Just have to find a good path to take, just wish the barbarian did more damage.

I'm playing on the vita and didn't see any method to offer gold.

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Yeah, I'm glad dying during those fights doesn't count as an actual death. Would've been a nightmare otherwise. Managed to defeat Astrodotus after ~5 hours of trying. I was getting frustrated and tried to vent by continuously pressing the attack button... suddenly I'm down to 2 of the smallest blobs :lol: . Thanks for the recommendation, I've tried the first 4 bosses and Ponce the Freon does seem like the least hardest of them. Just have to find a good path to take, just wish the barbarian did more damage.

I'm playing on the vita and didn't see any method to offer gold.

Lol, yeah, usually I'm very meticulous with Astrodotus, killing only the smallest thing first to reduce clutter, but last time I did it I was failing. After 3 attempts I went in, a bit angry with myself, so I mashed square and only focused on dodging. I got it first try, lol.

For Ponce de Freon there are no good paths. The best I could find is going around the as close to the walls as possible, and finagle a bit around the fire in the lower corners whenever possible, as to give some time to the rest of the fires in the way to go out. On the next lap you do the same but in the other corner, simce the first one is gonna be a mess. It is not that hard, but it is annoying if you aren't fluent in the art of attacking while walking backwards, lol.

Good to know they didn't add the cheap way of doing it for the PS4/3/Vita versions. It would lessen the value of the trophy =p

12 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

Lol, yeah, usually I'm very meticulous with Astrodotus, killing only the smallest thing first to reduce clutter, but last time I did it I was failing. After 3 attempts I went in, a bit angry with myself, so I mashed square and only focused on dodging. I got it first try, lol.

For Ponce de Freon there are no good paths. The best I could find is going around the as close to the walls as possible, and finagle a bit around the fire in the lower corners whenever possible, as to give some time to the rest of the fires in the way to go out. On the next lap you do the same but in the other corner, simce the first one is gonna be a mess. It is not that hard, but it is annoying if you aren't fluent in the art of attacking while walking backwards, lol.

Good to know they didn't add the cheap way of doing it for the PS4/3/Vita versions. It would lessen the value of the trophy =p

That's how I was trying to beat the boss too :lol: .

Thanks, I'll try that. Attacking while walking backwards would be so much easier if the controls could be adjusted to a twin stick shooter.

I'm amazed Neo Khidr is the least rarest trophy out of all remix bosses. Already tried defeating it for 3 hours and only managed to reduce half of the health bar twice :| .

Just now, daftprophet said:

I've always been interested in this game, but haven't had the time/energy to give it a go.  That's a bummer that they made it easier, but you can still play it as originally intended, right?  Like you don't have to select the option to re-do stats at the door? 

Thanks in advance!

Good luck and have fun @Dragon-Archon

Thanks :D . There's no option to make the remix bosses easier on the PS version, only on the PC version.

43 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I'm amazed Neo Khidr is the least rarest trophy out of all remix bosses. Already tried defeating it for 3 hours and only managed to reduce half of the health bar twice :| .

For that one don't forget you are a Spellthief, so dump all your MP in the empowered spell and use attacks mostly just to recover MP. I wasn't used to Spellthieves so I was doing the whole thing just with melee attacks. Then I realized what class I was and had a much easier time dealing damage =p.

I also always wondered about the rarity, but it may just simply be that more people get to it because it's the first one, and then, after spending hours on it, drop the game thinking the others are gonna be harder, lol.

Edited by AndresLionheart

11 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

For that one don't forget you are a Spellthief, so dump all your MP in the empowered spell and use attacks mostly just to recover MP. I wasn't used to Spellthieves so I was doing the whole thing just with melee attacks. Then I realized what class I was and had a much easier time dealing damage =p.

I also always wondered about the rarity, but it may just simply be that more people get to it because its the first one, and then, after spending hours on it, drop the game thinking the others are gonna be harder, lol.

Yep I've been using the extra powerful spells with :triangle: . It's the small area, constant attacks, and extra fast character that reacts to the slightest movement that make this hard.

Could be, it was the first remix boss I tried.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Managed to defeat all the remix bosses. From hardest to easiest I'd rate them: Alexander IV > Neo Khidr > Astrodotus > Ponce de Freon > Bro Knights. Already started the Thanatophobia playthrough and at 1 death already :lol: .

I can see Alexander being harder that Khidr, it's pretty close. The last one is such a joke, you have so much health and each of them is easier than what the original boss was by himself.

If worst comes to worst, don't forget you can cheese it by save scumming if you are close to running out of deaths!

Looking forward to your final stats =).

2 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

I can see Alexander being harder that Khidr, it's pretty close. The last one is such a joke, you have so much health and each of them is easier than what the original boss was by himself.

If worst comes to worst, don't forget you can cheese it by save scumming if you are close to running out of deaths!

Looking forward to your final stats =).

It was indeed a close call, the reason why I found Alex to be harder was due to the randomness of moving around, his speed boost, and the unlimited skulls. Neo Khidr was motionless and had 4 attacks. While those were random too, once you'd learn how to evade them, it boiled down to recognizing them and reacting. Alex just seems to move in random directions all the time. And yeah, the bro knights were a joke, I had a lot more trouble with the final boss during the first playthrough. The new class it unlocks is amazing, completely destroyed the final boss on NG+ with that.

Farmed a bit of gold with the first life, the  died when exploring the Maya/Tower due to the Forest having a long row of ceiling turrets and I'd have to against the turrets to reach the other side with each hit doing 35% damage. At least I got an air jump and a dash now, so things will go much better. Forgot how hard the game is without those.

So far I had 304 deaths on the first save file and spent a little over 54 hours on those. Will post the Thanatophobia stats after beating the game.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2017 at 3:18 AM, AndresLionheart said:

Since this forum doesn't move I just wanted to leave behind some words of encouragement for those wanting to get the Platinum for this amazing game but think is too hard from their first impression during the beginning of the game or just from reading the guide and forum posts.

Backstory

I played this game back when it was released for PC. I got the DRM free version straight from the devs site so I didn't have any steam achievements attached to my game. When I began playing for the first time I could barely do the castle part without dying and then I would die to the boss. Still, I loved the game. It was so addictive and fun to get a bit farther each time I tried, to discover what was beyond each door. The first time I set foot in the land of darkness I thought it would take me so long to be able to traverse it with ease. It probably took me around 30 or 40 deaths until I beat it. After that point I had learned so much that playing again was nothing like it, I could do pretty much everything fairly easily.

A few days ago I found out it was released on PS4 at some point so I decided to check the trophies. I was surprised at the raritiy of the plat and it was mostly tied to Thanatophobia (beat the game dying less than 15 times). I read the guide and a few forum posts and saw that it was that and the remix bosses what made it ultra rare. I thought of my experience years ago and knew it couldn't be that difficult, so I bought the game and started playing.

Some recommendations

Just how I imagined, I easily beat the game after a quick refresher of every enemy I came across.
I'm not gonna lie, I did take advantage of the special rooms being farmable, but not for gold, for health. I would sometimes do that until I got a comfortable amount of health back and then continued exploring.
With only that and my experience from years past I beat the game dying twice. I probably could have done it in like 10 deaths if I didn't use the farmable rooms for health.

A quick recommendation for upgrades distribution and class choice: Don't pick stuff like the Barbarian, its a trap. High health seems tempting but the low attack ends up making you take more hits. One shotting Mimics, Wolves or any other quick moving enemy makes it a lot easier.
Unlock the Hokage ASAP. He may have lower health, but the massive attack means you can one shot enemies early, and since he can't crit you can ignore those perks altogether and focus on purchasing health, armor and more attack! (with some weight increase every here and there to equip good armor and weapons when you get the blueprints, since eventually it becomes more efficient). With this I could beat the game with my character at level 43. Yes, you gotta be careful, but thats the best way to play this game.
Don't unlock other classes you don't want to use. The more classes you have, the lesser the chances of getting a Shinobi/Hokage each time you die.
The other recommended class is Knight/Paladin.
Learn how enemies behave and develop strategies for them. My archnemesis were the wolves, but then I learned the distance they started running at me and that I can force them to jump by jumping a bit when they are in a platform that is just a bit lower than mine.

Remix Bosses

I won't comment much on the remix bosses strategies because this isn't a guide, plus how difficult they are is really up to each individual player. Personally I only found Neo Khidr a bit annoying just because of the little amount of room to maneuver.
I do have a lot of experience with platformers so that may have something do with it. So if you are someone who has played games like Megaman, Mario, Shovel Knight, etc, and are any good at them, it shouldn't be much of a problem.
If I read the posts of people talking about their difficulty before playing I would have been turned off by how they talked about it, but it really isn't THAT difficult.

Personal opinion on difficulty

The guide puts it at 9/10. I think its a 5/10 for people who are good at tight controlled platformers.

tl;dr

Its not as bad as people make it out to be. Its much easier the second time through.

For me it's a 10/10 as it requires a superhuman level of patience and tolerance for tedium as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure I could do it if I was willing to keep trying again and again and again. But I really can't cope with the boredom. 

1 hour ago, thefourfoldroot said:

For me it's a 10/10 as it requires a superhuman level of patience and tolerance for tedium as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure I could do it if I was willing to keep trying again and again and again. But I really can't cope with the boredom. 

Hmmm... I never felt that my patience was put to the test. Everytime I died I knew it was my fault and I knew I could do better now that I knew what I was fighting. I actually saw it as a challenge by the game, so going back in and beating what killed me before felt even better. The difficulty is only unfair from New Game +5 and further.

I always saw patience as something needed when it's about RNG, when you have to try and try again until RNGsus decides is time to give you what you need. In other words, when it is out of your control.

I undertand we are better or worse at different genres (like how I'm awful at FPS using sticks to aim), but if you had any experience with platformers this shouldn't break any new grounds.

But now that I think about it I had my patience tested a bit while doing Mega Man 11's speedrun, since I was repeating the exact same thing over and over until I got a decent run in, kinda like what happens when farming something. In Rogue Legacy the map changes, so you are never doing the exact same thing every time =p.

15 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

Hmmm... I never felt that my patience was put to the test. Everytime I died I knew it was my fault and I knew I could do better now that I knew what I was fighting. I actually saw it as a challenge by the game, so going back in and beating what killed me before felt even better. The difficulty is only unfair from New Game +5 and further.

I always saw patience as something needed when it's about RNG, when you have to try and try again until RNGsus decides is time to give you what you need. In other words, when it is out of your control.

I undertand we are better or worse at different genres (like how I'm awful at FPS using sticks to aim), but if you had any experience with platformers this shouldn't break any new grounds.

But now that I think about it I had my patience tested a bit while doing Mega Man 11's speedrun, since I was repeating the exact same thing over and over until I got a decent run in, kinda like what happens when farming something. In Rogue Legacy the map changes, so you are never doing the exact same thing every time =p.

I guess this is the difference, if the map stayed the same I could learn to get better at it (I wouldn't as I find trial and error boring, but I could), whereas because everything is new every time I feel like it's just lick based with games like this. You just have to keep trying until you get a lucky random set up...I'm likely being unfair as I didn't give the game much time though. 

7 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

I guess this is the difference, if the map stayed the same I could learn to get better at it (I wouldn't as I find trial and error boring, but I could), whereas because everything is new every time I feel like it's just lick based with games like this. You just have to keep trying until you get a lucky random set up...I'm likely being unfair as I didn't give the game much time though. 

But the layout of the map makes little to no difference, in my opinion. There are very rare cases which you get a bullshit room with some annoying enemies for the type of room it is, and even when that happens, most of the time, there are other ways around.

Your ability to progress through these random rooms comes from learning ways to deal with each trap and enemy type.

How to approach them and how to minimize potential health loss from a badly thought out fight. If you just rush in and bash everything a couple of time you will most likely find yourself in a tight spot. For example, the picture frame ghosts can be a pain if you attack 2 or 3 of them at the same time, so throwing around pojectiles is a bad idea. What you do is approach one, jump toward it and preemptively attack so that your attack comes off CD faster, allowing you to immediately hit it again and kill it (they usually die in 2 hits when just starting). By doing this you don't even need to avoid them, nullifying any chance to get hit.

It may seem like a lot, but it becomes second nature after just casually playing through. That's why I say that the second time through (as in the second playthrough after seeing the whole game) everything is so much easier.

It seems like you are getting ahead of yourself, thinking too much about having to beat it with less than 15 deaths. Since you said you didn't play much, my recommendation for you would be to forget about the trophies and just play the game at you own pace. You can get into trophies during New Game + while trying out the remix bosses (for which you get infinite tries with no penalty for dying).

None of us did it on our first playthrough, we all had to learn the game first by playing it.

Hard to believe some of you are rating this game a 9 - 10 out of 10 in difficulty.

@Dragon-Archon has spent over 50 hours on the game. It took me just over 20 hours to get all the trophies including beating the game with 15 deaths or less.

I guess we all have our strengths on what we’re good at and what we’re not good at. Sounds like that particularly applies with skill based platinums.

Rogue Legacy is no more than a 6 out of 10 to me. Super Meat Boy on the other hand is around a 9 out of 10, very difficult and requires lots of memorization. 

Good to see people still still posting on this thread. 

Edited by Spaz

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

Hard to believe some of you are rating this game a 9 - 10 out of 10 in difficulty.

@Dragon-Archon has spent over 50 hours on the game. It took me just over 20 hours to get all the trophies including beating the game with 15 deaths or less.

I guess we all have our strengths on what we’re good at and what we’re not good at. Sounds like that particularly applies with skill based platinums.

Rogue Legacy is no more than a 6 out of 10 to me. Super Meat Boy on the other hand is around a 9 out of 10, very difficult and requires lots of memorization. 

Good to see people still still posting on this thread. 

I've had some people saying a 7/10 is a good rating and others say 8/10. I'd say it's between those, but that's not possible with the guide system. Don't know what to do with this one.

No, No, NO! this game was the reason i sold my vita lol,

Just not worth the effort you put in to it, just like super meat boy, but that is my oppinion i'd rather have a grinding game wich takes +200 hours then touch another hard platformer

Though i must say that people that do like platformers,

This game is an indie gem!

But be prepared for the onslaught!

I'd give it a solid 8/10 if you don't save scum the 15 death trophy, 5-6/10 if you do. The remix bosses provided a pretty fair challenge but it's doable with enough patience. The 15 death trophy on the other hand is pretty tough, especially if you're new to platformers / rouge-likes.

Then again that's just my opinion, like any genre difficulty is subjective but even more so with platformers.

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 0:46 PM, SlimSanta94 said:

I'd give it a solid 8/10 if you don't save scum the 15 death trophy, 5-6/10 if you do. The remix bosses provided a pretty fair challenge but it's doable with enough patience. The 15 death trophy on the other hand is pretty tough, especially if you're new to platformers / rouge-likes.

Then again that's just my opinion, like any genre difficulty is subjective but even more so with platformers.

Like anything, difficulty and excitement are subjective. 

I have played platformers for 25 years so Rogue Legacy wasn’t that hard for me. The 15 death trophy I did without save scumming, which I was pretty proud of.

I am terrible at fighting games and racing games. FPS I am ok to mediocre. Strategy games I can manage but I’m no expert in them. 

Most of us gamers tend to specialize in one department. 

• 3 years later...
On 10/26/2017 at 9:18 PM, AndresLionheart said:

Personal opinion on difficulty

The guide puts it at 9/10. I think its a 5/10 for people who are good at tight controlled platformers.

I agree with this, the game on first playthrough tend to feel like this is a 9/10 but after u get used to everything so it becomes way easier.

I came here reading the forums because I miss this game and also Rogue Legacy 2 is out today on Xbox and PC, hope we get a ps4/5 release date soon!

• Like 3