Encouragement for those turned off by the difficulty

AndresLionheart

Thank you for your creating this topic @AndresLionheart. I was kinda unsure whether to start this game or not but I'm glad I did. Based on my gaming experience so far, I would say that roguelikes/lights are very overrated in terms of difficulty by the community. I reached NG+ at level 100, which was very underpowered, so I did a little research (youtube gameplay and rogue legacy wiki) and found out that I wasn't playing the game how it is supposed to be played. As soon as I started paying more attention reading and choosing the best items to fit my gameplay style, I trivialized the game and made it way easier with only 20 to 25 hours of knowledge. 

When I say that Rogues are overrated in terms of difficulty, I am obviously not talking about games like Isaac and Crypt, which are in very different levels...but overall Rogues are fairly doable. If you are looking for a game that you don't want to think about anything, then they are probably not for you...but if you take it slowly and understand the mechanics and all the game has to offer, you can use that as an advantage. Other than that, Rogue legacy has been a fantastic experience and I am looking forward to play more Roguelikes/lights (suggestions are accepted).

• Like 1

On 28/8/2022 at 4:48 PM, zemiguelreis said:

Thank you for your creating this topic @AndresLionheart. I was kinda unsure whether to start this game or not but I'm glad I did. Based on my gaming experience so far, I would say that roguelikes/lights are very overrated in terms of difficulty by the community. I reached NG+ at level 100, which was very underpowered, so I did a little research (youtube gameplay and rogue legacy wiki) and found out that I wasn't playing the game how it is supposed to be played. As soon as I started paying more attention reading and choosing the best items to fit my gameplay style, I trivialized the game and made it way easier with only 20 to 25 hours of knowledge. 

When I say that Rogues are overrated in terms of difficulty, I am obviously not talking about games like Isaac and Crypt, which are in very different levels...but overall Rogues are fairly doable. If you are looking for a game that you don't want to think about anything, then they are probably not for you...but if you take it slowly and understand the mechanics and all the game has to offer, you can use that as an advantage. Other than that, Rogue legacy has been a fantastic experience and I am looking forward to play more Roguelikes/lights (suggestions are accepted).

Hey there. Nice to know that people still check this thread here and there.

Congrats on the jump to Rogue-lites =p.

It hasn't released on consoles yet, but Rogue Legacy 2 is everything there first one is and much more. Classes actually have different weapon types and movements, bosses are much cooler (not just "biggest regular enemy").

I stopped myself from playing it after beating it once because I want to wait to do the trophies.

Other than that I really enjoyed Enter the Gungeon, although the completion is a lot more annoying (for example doing 5 main floor bosses in a row without being hit).

Loop Hero is a really fun one, especially when you want to sit back and relax. I love playing this one while having a few beers.

If you like card games, Slay the Spire is soooo addicting.

I have yet yo play it, but Dead Cells looks really good.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I also ended up playing the game out of curiosity thanks to this thread and it was a good, surprisingly addicting experience (some remix bosses were unreasonably hard to beat tho). Never played any Roguelikes before so i'll definitely take your list into account the next time i find myself in the mood for more @AndresLionheart, many thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Honestly, the Ponce de Leon remix boss was the only thing holding me up for literally 6 years.

To me, this game was kinda like a 9/10 difficulty... but 9/10 difficulty in getting the plat. The game isn't that hard. As soon as I got ponce de leon, I destroyed the rest of the game, even the 15 death trophy.

Anyways, I think the game's overall low plat rate (PSN and PSNP) is proof of it's general difficulty to the masses. I agree with the sentiment that some folks are just really good at certain departments in video games. I'm decent enough with platformers that the game was overall not that difficult with the exception of two remix bosses, but I know a friend who I think would dominate this game and plat it in 10-20 hours if he really wanted to. (He's not a trophy hunter though haha)

Rogue Legacy taking me six years to plat... I think I'll stick with Rogue Legacy 2 on Steam and go easy on the achievements lol

Edited by h4mx0r
  • Like 1