What Small Details In Videogames Do You Love?

Lawless_Llama

Animal Crossing: New Leaf on Nintendo 3DS has amazing attention to detail which makes the game feel like a living world. To mention a few things:

- Footprints in sand vary between animals and the player character depending on if he/she is barefoot or wearing shoes

- The footprint sounds vary depending on the material you're walking on and if the ground is wet or snowy

- When there's a thunderstorm, the lightning strikes affect the lighting even when inside a house

- The instruments used in the music change depending on weather

- You can hear a waterfall inside a house if it's near one

- The animals who move to your town from other players' towns (via StreetPass for example) remember their old town, talk about it and its mayor and hum its town tune

- The animals remember you after you meet them in your friends' towns

- There's a funny hidden luck mechanic: when you have bad physical luck you may fall when running, angry bees catch you easier or a chair might creak when you sit on it

- When an animal has argued with another one you might see them moping or angry and their feelings affect the dialogue with you

Another game with impressive level of detail was Odin Sphere Leifthrasir where each food in a restaurant looked different right down to the utensils and the platter. The merchants offering wares actually took the items out of a sack or chest and presented each one to you.

tumblr_o9lo0hW5Xw1tyw21qo1_400.gif

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any game that has graduating walking-to-running animation cycles with analog control. Way too many games have been one or the other, or one and the other, and I always appreciate developers including the in-between. It’s been a while, but it was a noticeable annoyance in the DC/PS2/GCN/Xbox and 360/Wii/PS3 gens for me.

On a related note, I love games that change animations with momentum, or just with continued movement over time, or that include superficial animations tied to functions you never actually need to perform so you may not see. Most 3D Mario and Zelda, for example, including a dive animation when running and / or jumping into a long fall. Or the continued buildup of life from Amaterasu’s footfalls in Ōkami. Dolphin breaching as Zora Link in Majora’s Mask was an early favorite, and later it was building up a run into all-fours during the Stranger portion of Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath. Bayonetta’s catwalk gets a nod from me too.

Edited by Zondares
  • Like 1