Undecided theory about a new PS Vita

OJ9999vr

*Either it just didn't sell or...

The past couple days i've been looking around webpages, looking for vita prices.

• From all non international pages i only found one for vita wifi (94,91 Euros) and one for vita series 2000 (142,42 Euros) both with a decent price. I went to the store myself today asking what they had in stock, the only one they found was a "recycled" vita for (105,47 Euros). It was shoved down a plastic bag with a charger, no box what so ever. I didn't have any experience with vitas, so i asked if they knew which model it might be, i even pulled up there site for details, but they didn't figure it out.
  • An hour from now i did some more digging, the gamestop site had a map for click&collect availability around my country, actually no stores had it in stock. Going over a few more sites i found the word "retracted" and "no price", even 2016 bundles wasn't available.
  • Normally i have no problem finding what i search for, so this has made me believe something is going on, my theory: A new one is about to be released.

Why?

• The first was released globally February 2012, the newer on in June 2014 (according to the gamester site). And now they might have taken some extra time to refurbish the console (might also have been used on PS VR), possibly for a release near the holidays. Which brings me to the next point.
  • They might try to remove as much as possible for stores (hence the price change), so people only have the option to buy the new one.
  • This might seem a bit out of context, but after E3 Sucker Punch didn't show their new IP (still hope for sly 5). But they now is going to show it near the holidays (I forget where). Which has lead me to think, maybe Sony is releasing it there. It's just some of my thoughts.

What do you guys think?

Edited by OJ9999vr

4 minutes ago, itachi-destroyer said:

I think you are thinking way too much. I personally don't see Playstation creating a new handheld in the near future, if ever, unfortunately.

It just seems weird to me, that there's no stores in my country having it for sale. (besides the used one)

The reason why you're having trouble finding new Vita's is simple: it doesn't sell. Stores have no reason to keep them in stock. Sony gave up on the Vita a long time ago, so you're not going to see a new model or any new first party exclusives. They've made their position clear many times over. Developers that were working on Vita exclusives were moved onto other things. Sucker Punch's next game will be for PS4.

It's nice that you're enthusiastic about this, but those of us who are into the Vita gave up on all that a while ago. :P

• Like 1

No, it's pretty much the opposite, the Vita is nearly dead. Sony already ended first party game production completely and the Vita stopped production and shipping in several countries last year. Even here in a decently sized US city I can't find any Vitas or games in big stores. Considering the sales numbers, I really heavily doubt they would make another version of it. 

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

The reason why you're having trouble finding new Vita's is simple: it doesn't sell. Stores have no reason to keep them in stock. Sony gave up on the Vita a long time ago, so you're not going to see a new model or any new first party exclusives. They've made their position clear many times over. Developers that were working on Vita exclusives were moved onto other things. Sucker Punch's next game will be for PS4.

It's nice that you're enthusiastic about this, but those of us who are into the Vita gave up on all that a while ago. :P

1 minute ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

No, it's pretty much the opposite, the Vita is nearly dead. Sony already ended first party game production completely and the Vita stopped production and shipping in several countries last year. Even here in a decently sized US city I can't find any Vitas or games in big stores. Considering the sales numbers, I really heavily doubt they would make another version of it. 

Well, that pretty much answers my question why it's not for sale anywhere. I guess this is what happens with close to no knowledge about the console.

2 minutes ago, mariosF94 said:

If they're going to release a new vita(doubt it) they might actually announce it at PlayStation live at Paris on 10/30 I think. Who knows?!

If they were going to do that anywhere, it would be at the Tokyo Game Show since that's the only place where Vita does decently.

• Like 1

A new Vita would be cool, but Sony would be putting themselves in a tough position as it would have to compete with the growing mobile gaming marketplace as well as the Nintendo Switch, which is a console/handheld hybrid. Some individuals also still have a sour taste in their mouth after Sony basically shoved its focus on the handheld to the wayside in pursuit of other things on their agenda.

I will never stop believing in handheld gaming, it's been a thing since the first Game Boy, but I don't like Nintendo (I don't even understand how everyone can love them, it's like a disease), in fact, I don't even like PlayStation as it is today. But they are the only ones capable of doing the ultimate handheld, that's what I think at least. All the good memories with the PSP and all the GREAT memories with the PS Vita... I just want a place to go when everything ends, but that place is not the PS4. And I'm not buying any Switch, it's not for me, I'm stuck here forever. For now, I'm just glad that stupid piece of shit Andrew House is leaving SIE. What he said is unforgivable.

I would love for Sony to make a new handheld but with today's smartphone market and mobile gaming, It's highly unlikely. It's easy for me to find a Vita here because of GameStop but honestly if I didn't have that, I wouldn't know where to get one over than online. 

29 minutes ago, Katt said:

I will never stop believing in handheld gaming, it's been a thing since the first Game Boy, but I don't like Nintendo (I don't even understand how everyone can love them, it's like a disease), in fact, I don't even like PlayStation as it is today. But they are the only ones capable of doing the ultimate handheld, that's what I think at least. All the good memories with the PSP and all the GREAT memories with the PS Vita... I just want a place to go when everything ends, but that place is not the PS4. And I'm not buying any Switch, it's not for me, I'm stuck here forever. For now, I'm just glad that stupid piece of shit Andrew House is leaving SIE. What he said is unforgivable.

I just went up and ordered one from eBay, newest model as far as i can tell (2000-series, or 2006 to be exact). It came in at 267$ with shipping and import. It should be a fair price (I guess)

I think the chance of Sony ever releasing a new handheld is now bigger than ever. Out of the three, Sony currently holds the market leader position with the success of PS4 which means they have more room to experiment (PSVR). More importantly they also have a habit of copying their competitors market strategies. With the switch being as successful as it is, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony tries to jump on that hype train with a new vita.

Spoiler

Ofcourse this is coming from someone who would absolutely love a vita 2. Vita = life

Edited by xZoneHunter

1 hour ago, itachi-destroyer said:

I think you are thinking way too much. I personally don't see Playstation creating a new handheld in the near future, if ever, unfortunately.

Agreed. It's not gonna happen. Sony took a bath on the Vita, and honestly, they didn't seem particular warm to it from the beginning.

Nowhere near me sells them either, or the games for that matter, purely because they don't sell. It's a waste of shelf space to display something that probably won't sell instead of stocking something that's guaranteed to sell.

I can't see Sony ever really trying a handheld again, if only for their paranoia over piracy and their stubbornness at forcing people to use massively overpriced Sony brand memory cards. I still think the Vita would've done a lot better had they allowed the use of other brand cards.