Undecided theory about a new PS Vita

OJ9999vr

I think there's a bigger chance that we have people living in Mars than Sony's creating a new handheld. The Vita had all the ingredients to be a reasonable success and they blew it all from the beginning. They over promised, then stopped supporting it expecting that the console would sell for itself. No decent mainstream titles and most good stuff was niche items (yes niche items, what sells consoles unfortunately is GTA, Fifa, Madden, WWE, and similar titles). And Sony doesn't have the "flair" titles that Nintendo has, not even close. Even more stupid the Vita lacks kids games in quantity, that also killed it. Nintendo sells zillions of kids games, Sony doesn't have the slightest idea what that market is. And they still are arrogant pricks that think they can do what they want because they're Sony. So all ingredients were there for a smashing failure, and unfortunately it's what happened.

A pity, it's still the best handheld ever made.

Just buy a Switch.

It's got Doom, Skyrim, Super Mario, Splatoon, Rocket League, LA Noire, Lego, Minecraft, Mario Kart, a shitload of NEOGEO and indie games, FIFA, Zelda, Sonic, and so on, with only more things in the works.

Switch is what the Vita should have been. Of course, pair a Vita with a PS TV and you've got the foundations of a Switch anyway, in that you can shove your card in a portable or the home variant and continue the same game, just without the auto resuming. 

Anyway, yeah. Go buy a Switch. I still play my PSP, it's fucking great. I only bust out the Vita occasionally, at this point, Switch is just way better in pretty much every way.

A couple of years ago I wanted to get a Vita 2000 & locally there were only one or two places that still sold them. I just ended up importing a Japanese model, it was more or less the same price as a retail store here & I had a choice of colours as well. I'd imagine these days that's probably the best option for getting a brand new model.

Would kill for a 'Vita 2' with micro SD & multiple account support.

56 minutes ago, colinnola said:

It is unlikely that they'll release another one.  Which is a pity, as I've been looking for one for a couple of weeks and can't find one anywhere (New Zealand).  

Gumtree in Australia isn't too bad. I picked up a spare and one for my missus from there for around a hundred each. One was 100 but came with no charger, but the guy did include a 16gb card which was pretty cool. The other one wanted 200 but I ended up giving him an old PS4 remote and a hundred bucks, he threw in a 32gb card (!!!!!!) without mentioning it too which was really nice considering they're 70 preowned at EB even now, which is ridiculous.

Anyway, try your luck on Gumtree, postage from Australia to New Zealand should only be a couple bucks too, so if you find a good one on the Aussie Gumtree, toss them an extra 5 or so and they should be able to post it to you. 

That is to say, if you don't mind a preowned one, which is basically your only real option now anyways.

Edit: Also, the first one was a 3G model, which means nothing to us really, but they used to go for a hundred or so more IIRC.

Edit II: Here's a guy selling an OLED model for 125 with a 16gb card which is a perfectly usable size and would save you a bit alone (EB only sell the bigger ones now apparently, 8gb ones were 28 preowned a week ago when they listed them online though, so use your imagination on the value) anyway, it says you can make an offer too, so maybe offer the guy a bit less and see what happens? Either way, keep checking Gumtree and I'm sure you'll find one soon enough that's fine for you. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/blacktown/playstation/playstation-vita/1161775910

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

56 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Just buy a Switch.

It's got Doom, Skyrim, Super Mario, Splatoon, Rocket League, LA Noire, Lego, Minecraft, Mario Kart, a shitload of NEOGEO and indie games, FIFA, Zelda, Sonic, and so on, with only more things in the works.

Switch is what the Vita should have been. Of course, pair a Vita with a PS TV and you've got the foundations of a Switch anyway, in that you can shove your card in a portable or the home variant and continue the same game, just without the auto resuming. 

Anyway, yeah. Go buy a Switch. I still play my PSP, it's fucking great. I only bust out the Vita occasionally, at this point, Switch is just way better in pretty much every way.

How much are Nintendo paying you for that one? And no, I think I'll pass. :P Just because you don't play Vita anymore doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else. I'd much rather play my Vita JRPG's/VN's than a downgraded version of a console game. ;) Oh, and Skyrim/LA Noire aren't selling points btw. They came out 6 years ago. :P

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

How much are Nintendo paying you for that one? And no, I think I'll pass. :P Just because you don't play Vita anymore doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else. I'd much rather play my Vita JRPG's/VN's than a downgraded version of a console game. ;) Oh, and Skyrim/LA Noire aren't selling points btw. They came out 6 years ago. :P

I mean, there's a bunch of JRPGs on Switch and plenty more to come presumably. As for downgraded ports, well, it's still a lot better than the Vita could handle, look at Borderlands, it couldn't even handle THAT. Skyrim and LA Noire ARE selling points btw way, it shows that more games will be coming over, and that they'll actually run, unlike how Borderlands and Minecraft took years to put out a pathetic imitation of the real versions too.

Almost like they do similar things, but the Switch is newer and does them better.

I'm all for the Vita though, it's great and all, but it's dead. Jumping in now isn't really the best idea, games are still expensive and there's not really any future for the machine. Switch is the future, for now at least. Vita might be worthwhile in another five years when games are a dollar anywhere, but since you can barely find any games as it is, that probably won't even happen.

1 minute ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I mean, there's a bunch of JRPGs on Switch and plenty more to come presumably.

Yeah, well there's a whole "bunch" more JRPG's on Vita, many of them exclusive, so until these games in the pipeline you speak of materialise, the Vita is still the go-to place for JRPG's.

27 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

As for downgraded ports, well, it's still a lot better than the Vita could handle, look at Borderlands, it couldn't even handle THAT.

The difference is that nobody is recommending the Vita because of games like Borderlands 2, lol. That's what a console is for. Nintendo are trying to get these AAA games onto Switch, but at the end of the day, they're always going to look/play worse than their PS4/Xbone counterparts. I don't think a handheld should try and compete in that space, but maybe that's just me. And yes, I get that the Switch is supposed to be some console/handheld hybrid, but it fails to impress as a console by a large margin.

27 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Skyrim and LA Noire ARE selling points btw way, it shows that more games will be coming over, and that they'll actually run, unlike how Borderlands and Minecraft took years to put out a pathetic imitation of the real versions too.

Skyrim/LA Norie have already been released on a multitude of platforms, and everyone who wanted to play those games probably already have, so I'm sorry, but I don't think yet another port of them is a selling point (an inferior port at that).

31 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'm all for the Vita though, it's great and all, but it's dead. Jumping in now isn't really the best idea, games are still expensive and there's not really any future for the machine. Switch is the future, for now at least. Vita might be worthwhile in another five years when games are a dollar anywhere, but since you can barely find any games as it is, that probably won't even happen.

Physical games maybe, but digital Vita games are always on sale on the PSN store. Also, assuming people have PS+ and have been redeeming the monthly Vita game offerings, they most likely already have a large library of things to play on it, even more so thanks to cross buy. The Vita is cheaper than a Switch and has a much larger library, so I see it as much better value tbh. I'd argue that it's probably better to get a Switch five years down the line when they've come out with a console revision and the library of games is decent. Vita is definitely worth it now, though. ;)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Vita.  Hopefully, there will continue to be worthwhile downloadable content for it for the foreseeable future, as some of the physical game prices are already crazy expensive.  And no, I too don't see Sony trying their hand at another hand held gaming system.