Can you get banned for boosting? Has it happened?

a-m-j-w

Hello,

very tempted to start playing this but I don't want to get banned half way through and not be able to finish getting the trophies (I want 100% completion). Also, assuming boosting is possible, how is it done? (since the game have to be played on quick or competitive play for most if not all trophies)

Boosting kills? I think someone was banned for it, but thats if they find out? idk, will have to google around to find that article. But i think it was a PC user.

21 hours ago, AydenBonnette said:

Whelp this sucks I'm absolute trash at this game and was hoping to boost some of the ultra difficult ones like the floor is lava so I guess it's do them all legit with a couple hundred hours of gameplay or boost one or two of the last ones you need and hopefully not get banned

The floor is lava isn't as hard as it seems, especially since Lucio was buffed.. You just wait until you're either on Ilios or Lijang tower, hide and lure people next to an edge, boop them off and then wallride as you get the kill.. Repeat another 2 times

It's Rapid Discord that's the ridiculous one.. There's so many different factors that you need to go your way in order to get that trophy, literally one of those things where you need RNJesus to be on your side for it..

Edited by SlimSanta94
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Maxie Mouse said:

I wanted to take boosting as a last resort for getting trophies I may have been incapable to do. Well, it turned out that I managed to do everything legit! Even the DLC trophies!

And since, Overwatch is one of my proudest Platinums ever! :D

Same here, apart from Meat Boy I haven't done anything as satisfying since..

I was very close to boosting Rapid Discord after 40 hours of trying to get it.. The second I stopped trying to get it I got it xD 

Edited by SlimSanta94
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've boosted a few of the trophies and I haven't been banned. Then again, this was well before the console reporting feature was added into the game. Nowadays, I would be careful on boosting. I wouldn't say that they would ban you, but if the enemy team tries to report you enough, then I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard took action. I would simply say to be very cautious if you were to boost...

On 11/9/2017 at 8:53 PM, Vermachtnis said:

The Path is Closed is such a pain in the ass.  I've been to two so many times just to have some one else break one or to have her switch.

Yeah. This trophy took me some time. I would get two and someone on my team would randomly take out the third one, causing me to lose the trophy... Also, Symmetra players tend to switch out if they lose the first point in a given match. What I did to get it was use a great flanker like Reaper or Tracer if you haven't already. Reaper I would highly recommend: his shotguns take out her teleporters pretty quick.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I honestly don't know why you would waste your time banning boosters. If they're doing it in a separate game with a few people not impacting the rest of the players then what's the problem? I imagine they don't care too much about the integrity of earning the trophies so much as they are about whether or not it disrupts a game, and if they do it just seems like a fairly petty thing to do to someone who has paid for your product. This just seems like a good way to alienate a portion of users who paid for it. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 1:05 PM, DarkSoleride said:

practice, practice, practice a friend @IRATEEE of mine sucked at this game to begin with but he went hardcore playing it and got better and better and managed to get the platinum trophy. You just need to constantly play it. It will be worth it in the end. 

Agreed, there's a reason they make them difficult.. They purposely make them hard so you have to get good at each character, learn the game and build your awareness and game sense ready for if you choose to grind the competitive ladder.

• Like 2

Helpful Tips:
- You cannot be banned if you're inviting a Silver or Gold into your Party and playing Ranked, the Silver/Gold will be an expert player, hopefully, because they're linked to you (If you're lower SR) they're brought into lower ranked matches w/ you, It's essentially bringing a Nuke to a Gun fight. My friend managed to go up in SR because he kept destroying inexperienced players by leeching through me. Invite higher SR players to your party, then you search for the game, you'll be bringing muscle into the match and you'll be overpowered and should easily win the game so long as you aren't relying on the Higher SR players, you need to actually be good yourself.

- You can still receive penalties in Quick Play for leaving matches too frequently, there's an invisible counter that counts up to three and warns you, basically only ever leave two matches in a row and on the third match you HAVE to play it, it resets the counter completely. I did this three times in a row, left twice, played once, left twice, played once, so long as you never leave three times in a row you're good.

- This technique doesn't work for Competitive though, you'll just be outright given a suspension, there are ways around it though, nobody actually ever gets banned in Overwatch because if Blizzard actually cracked down on the amount of players they claim to ban, they would see a massive drop in players. You get a little slap on the wrist at the most. Never rage quit though, that gets you a Season ban and you'll have to wait till this Season ends, they don't ban you from future Seasons because that's Business Suicide 101, you're essentially "Forgiven" during the next season because they're not complete idiots.

- If you're playing Ranked by yourself write this down 100 times, there is no such f*cking thing as "Match Making" in Overwatch, It's artificial match making, it doesn't actually pair you with experienced players or even helpful teammates, it pairs you based on active players, recent players and whether or not you're searching for a game, do not go into this game thinking you're going to be paired with people that know what they're doing because that's about as rare as getting the Platinum trophy for the Last of Us.

- It also generates artificial player numbers too, they will deliberately pair you up with troll players (ever notice how troll players are never snuffed out?) so that the match is ruined, you lose SR and you have to make the climb back up to the SR you just lost, this will continue for several hours and it ALWAYS happens at 1900 SR every single troll player is between 1600 - 1900 SR everyone past that is actually trying to win the game.

If you're wondering why it's always happens between those numbers It's because the Trolls rise and fall between those exact numbers, never below 1600 and they're never good enough to get past 1900, you will ONLY overcome this by asking a Silver or Gold to help you get past it. Oh and keep in mind Competitive is not for the weak, your entire SR can be brought down by players ruining the match, abandoning the game and essentially your SR is brought down by other players ruining the match rather than whether or not you got kills, held the point or won the match, it's entirely based on team work and Jeff is Satan because he knows damn well nobody is working together in this game. If you thought your SR was based on whether or not you were good at this game you're a certified idiot. It's entirely based on team work that's why your group has its own separate score. The entirety of SR is based on the length of the Match (More points if you win faster) and whether or not you lost. That's it. "Oh I got play of the Game." doesn't mean a f*cking thing. Did you get Gold Medal in kills? Cool, means absolutely nothing. It's just a bragging right. It doesn't not net you anymore SR.

Wanna know what does? Literally just win. Just win in the fasted amount of time. That's literally it.

On 2/2/2018 at 5:14 PM, SlimSanta94 said:

Agreed, there's a reason they make them difficult.. They purposely make them hard so you have to get good at each character, learn the game and build your awareness and game sense ready for if you choose to grind the competitive ladder.

The one where you hit 6 people with winstons ult....thats impossible since you never see 6 people together

2 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

The one where you hit 6 people with winstons ult....thats impossible since you never see 6 people together

If you keep playing you'll eventually find a team that will group up together, or you can gather a team of 6 friends and try it with them as when you're in a group of 6 the matchmaker will only match you against another team of 6 and groups are always more likely to group up together. Or you can just do it in Competitive, where the game is taken a lot more seriously.

I got everything legit so nothing in the game is impossible, you just need to think outside the box a little bit.. Plan out how you're going to get each trophy, get friends to help if you need them and most importantly understand that the trophies are only as difficult as people make them, it's going to take a while, you won't get the trophies on your first match as Winston. Winston is my main tank and it still took me 12 hours to get his trophies.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 5:02 AM, SlimSanta94 said:

Or you can just do it in Competitive, where the game is taken a lot more seriously.

This is what I'll be doing for Moira's "Antipode" trophy. It's easy in practice, but I just cannot get my team and the enemy team at the perfect place at the perfect time. The Zarya's I (and sometimes the enemy team) get in quick play don't really use their ultimates to its full advantage and only get one or two people caught in them. With that said, I've had an unusually difficult time with this trophy and it's starting to irritate me. I've also noticed that you now have to hit seven people for the trophy to pop. I could have sworn that it used to be six...

1 hour ago, ARB1992 said:

This is what I'll be doing for Moira's "Antipode" trophy. It's easy in practice, but I just cannot get my team and the enemy team at the perfect place at the perfect time. The Zarya's I (and sometimes the enemy team) get in quick play don't really use their ultimates to its full advantage and only get one or two people caught in them. With that said, I've had an unusually difficult time with this trophy and it's starting to irritate me. I've also noticed that you now have to hit seven people for the trophy to pop. I could have sworn that it used to be six...

Agreed you very rarely find people that play Zarya on quickplay amongst all of the Genji/Hanzo mains and a lot of the time they just throw their ultimate as soon as they get it with nobody there to follow up on it. Junkrat traps, Zarya's bubbles & Symettra's turrets also count as targets towards the trophy too so that makes it somewhat easier to pull off. For example if an enemy has Zarya's bubble over them they'll count as 2 targets toward the trophy. It's always been 7, there hasn't been a patch to change it :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SlimSanta94 said:

Junkrat traps, Zarya's bubbles & Symettra's turrets also count as targets towards the trophy too so that makes it somewhat easier to pull off. For example if an enemy has Zarya's bubble over them they'll count as 2 targets toward the trophy. It's always been 7, there hasn't been a patch to change it :) 

Very interesting. I'll be sure to keep all of that in mind. Thanks for the input and advice, much appreciated.

2 hours ago, SlimSanta94 said:

quickplay amongst all of the Genji/Hanzo mains

And let's not forget the influx of Widowmakers as of late...

20 hours ago, MMDE said:

You can probably even get banned for posting memes on youtube. (no joke btw)

Some streamers have been banned from the game for things they say on their Twitch stream, so we're not too far off of that happening :P 

18 hours ago, ARB1992 said:

Very interesting. I'll be sure to keep all of that in mind. Thanks for the input and advice, much appreciated.

And let's not forget the influx of Widowmakers as of late...

No problem at all, hope that helps :) I'm glad i'm not the only one that noticed that there was a Widowmaker in every single game recently xD 

I'm a tank/Zenyatta main and I play a lot of Zarya, if you need a hand with anything feel free to add me and i'll help whenever i'm playing the game :) 

Edited by SlimSanta94

9 minutes ago, SlimSanta94 said:

Some streamers have been banned from the game for things they say on their Twitch stream, so we're not too far off of that happening :P 

Well, they have said they ban toxic people for things they do on other sites before they ever do something bannable in the game. This to create a better community. Haven't they been adding gamification elements to the report system too?

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2018 at 0:09 PM, SlimSanta94 said:

I'm a tank/Zenyatta main and I play a lot of Zarya, if you need a hand with anything feel free to add me and i'll help whenever i'm playing the game :) 

You don't mind I add you? I barely see any Zarya, so the ''Hit/Kill 4 or 6 characters'' trophies are very situational for me.

Edited by HiryuMK

On 2/14/2018 at 5:21 PM, MMDE said:

Well, they have said they ban toxic people for things they do on other sites before they ever do something bannable in the game. This to create a better community. Haven't they been adding gamification elements to the report system too?

Indeed they have and I agree with that, people look up to streamers and they should really act professional to set a good standard. They claim to have been improving the report system somewhat and making it clearer what you should be reporting people for but it honestly just seems like the report system only makes a significant impact on PC.. It really doesn't seem to do much on consoles :/ 

37 minutes ago, HiryuMK said:

You don't mind I add you? I barely see any Zarya, so the ''Hit/Kill 4 or 6 characters'' trophies are very situational for me.

Sure, go ahead.. I'm always happy to help people out if i'm playing the game :) 

1 hour ago, SlimSanta94 said:

They claim to have been improving the report system somewhat and making it clearer what you should be reporting people for but it honestly just seems like the report system only makes a significant impact on PC.. It really doesn't seem to do much on consoles :/

I know what you're saying with this. I've reported numerous amounts of people for spamming "Thanks!" and/or "I Need Healing" after every time they die, lose a capture point, etc. The former is especially annoying since I'm a Lucio/Support main in-game. It'd be nice if Blizzard could personally message us if action has been taken with the reports we send.