Kill Your Completion V

On 11/8/2017 at 5:03 AM, Kevvik said:

While I am originally from Thunder Bay, I am currently working about an hour north of Toronto.  Nice to see someone who realizes there is more to Ontario than the GTA and NCR since the governments often forget.

Finally catching up with this thread after a BUSY family wedding weekend. 

Ontario, to me, is Thunder Bay and Quetico bc I grew up in Minnesota. In fact, I'm planning to take the family on a Circle Tour of Lake Superior. I think it will take a week to 10 days at a leisurely pace, but we'll definitely stop in at Fort William and Sleeping Giant Prov. Park. 

In college, we used to drive up to Fort Frances to take advantage of the Canadian drinking age. Paper mills make that town a bit stinky but we didn't seem to mind the odor afer a few Labatts. ;)

On 11/10/2017 at 2:29 PM, MarkusT1992 said:

You can just use the hint feature to see where you can do something. All Artifex Mundi games I played so far don't have a trophy for not using any hints, only for not using them in HO scenes.

Did I mention jet lag? Kidding, in all honesty, I didn't study the trophy list very hard but I knew there was something about not using hints. Thanks for the heads-up in that you can use that in normal play, just not the mini-games.

I forgot to download Oxenfree and I still have an hour left, so I’ll give my expectations.

I bought this game after going to a roundtable discussion about game narrative and the proctor pulled this game up because of the choice mechanic. Otherwise, I really don’t know anything about it, so I guess this expectation is rather short. I’m expecting a good story and the narration to flow well together. I decided that I'm probably going to do bad playthrough, silent playthrough, good playthrough since the bad playthrough would make me interested in the good playthrough, but doing the silent in the middle would ensure I get it done.

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

Ontario, to me, is Thunder Bay and Quetico bc I grew up in Minnesota. In fact, I'm planning to take the family on a Circle Tour of Lake Superior. I think it will take a week to 10 days at a leisurely pace, but we'll definitely stop in at Fort William and Sleeping Giant Prov. Park. 

In college, we used to drive up to Fort Frances to take advantage of the Canadian drinking age. Paper mills make that town a bit stinky but we didn't seem to mind the odor afer a few Labatts. ;)

A fellow Minnesotan! :) 

4 minutes ago, Melanogaster1987 said:

Game #4 of 10: Broken Age

This is only the second time I have played a point-and-click adventure game, and my first for many years. Not since trying out Blade Runner on PC, circa 1999, have I dipped my toes into this genre. And my experience with Blade Runner wasn't great - If I remember correctly, I somehow managed to fumble my way through Act 1 via almost pure trial and error, but gave up on trying to make any further progress, and just played the shooting range section for high scores thereafter. Will my second foray into the genre be more successful than my first?

-snip-

Current completion rate: 58.17% [Down 1.66% since start of event]

Down 0.88% due to Pinball Arcade
Down 0.58% due to Thief
Down 0.09% due to Ratchet & Clank
Down 0.59% due to Broken Age
Up 0.48% due to other games not part of this event

This was one point-and-click game I was happy I used a guide for because I would never have figured out any of the puzzles and don't have the patience for trial and error. The story is really nice and you still get it if you go the guide route. BTW, how did you calculate the percentage of each game like that? It's really cool.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Melanogaster1987 said:

Game #4 of 10: Broken Age

This is only the second time I have played a point-and-click adventure game, and my first for many years. Not since trying out Blade Runner on PC, circa 1999, have I dipped my toes into this genre. And my experience with Blade Runner wasn't great - If I remember correctly, I somehow managed to fumble my way through Act 1 via almost pure trial and error, but gave up on trying to make any further progress, and just played the shooting range section for high scores thereafter. Will my second foray into the genre be more successful than my first?

Broken Age is a game that's split into two character's stories, that, while completely separated so far, I assume will intertwine later on in the game. In one story, we play as Shay, a teenage boy living on a spaceship, who clearly wants to break free from the overbearing "parenting" of the ship's computer, which treats him like a toddler. In the other story, we're taking control of teenage girl Vella, who's attempting to escape a land where girls of her age are ceremonially sacrificed to a monster called Mog Chothra, in order to prevent the monster from devouring their entire villages.

You probably know what to expect gameplay-wise from a point-and-click adventure game; look around for objects, and use them to interact with your surroundings in order to solve puzzles and advance the plot. It's all about these puzzles, it seems like there will be no other kind of gameplay in Broken Age. You can switch between Vella and Shay's stories at any time - a nice feature that gives you a second puzzle to have a go at if the first one has you stumped. So how am I finding these puzzles? Not terribly good...

Beware spoilers below!

Hide contents

There are some puzzles have nice logical, intuitive soultions. For example, in one part of Vella's story, you hitch a ride on a bird to a village in the clouds; your presence there startles a woman, causing her to drop a vital knife, which you find out of reach in a raised part of another area. How to retrieve it? Find the boy who has a ladder, ask if you can borrow it, use it to retrieve the knife, and return it to the woman, who gives you a reward. A nice simple, logical puzzle that won't really challenge your brain, but works perfectly well for something so early in the game.

On the other hand, how did you get Vella get to this place in the clouds, given that she was all set to be sacrificed to Mog Chothra along with 4 other girls in the previous scene? You had to convince one girl to give you a bottle of pop, which you then trade for another girl's fried chicken wing (but not until the beast has eaten all but you and her, else she won't agree to the trade). Then, use the chicken wing to attract a nearby bird, which will fly you to safety - if only you could grab on to it. How to grab hold? Use a corset that you obtained from one of the other girls before she was killed as a makeshift harness, of course! Maybe that didn't sound too bad to you, but in my opinion, that solution was too convoluted, especially given the many dialogue options when talking to the other 4 girls here. I found the solution by brute force - just trying every permutation until something worked. And this is just the second puzzle, so it's probably easier than most - just how far out of left field are the solutions to the late-game puzzles going to be!?

As for Shay's half of the game, I seem to have hit a complete roadblock. It seems that I need to escape the room without the ship's computer detecting Shay and dragging him back to bed. But I've tried using every item I have on every interactive part of the scene, and still no dice. Brute force hasn't worked, so I can only conclude that either there's a trick I'm missing, I need to make more progress with Vella before I can continue with Shay, or that I did something very wrong earlier, and my actions have now made this part of the game unbeatable (If you've read the "Unwinnable" section on TV Tropes, you'll know that this is a common problem in adventure games. Totally unacceptable game design, though, so please let that not be the case here!).

Whatever the puzzle creators were going for, I seem to be unable to catch their train of thought, and this is mostly reducing the game to pure trial and error for me. I'm finding it exactly as much fun as trying to open a combination lock that I've forgotten the code for. Did 000 work? No? Try 001, try 002, try 003... and so on.

Any redeeming features? Well, at least the cursor changes when placed over things you can interact with, and these interactive objects can be easily selected by moving the right stick, which eliminates an infamous problem with many point-and-click games; hunting for exactly the right pixel to click in order to do something. I also like the art style - I likely wouldn't have taken the opportunity to download this from PS Plus had that not attracted me.

But in summary, it's been a painful, turgid slog so far. My play time sits at 2 h 42 min, but I've probably only made 10 minutes worth of progress. Are the puzzle solutions too obscure, or do I totally suck at this game... or this genre, for that matter? Whatever it is, I just haven't enjoyed my time with Broken Age. The story has potential, but if I'm going to see how it pans out, it'll probably be by blindly following a walkthrough click by click the rest of the way.

My rating: :bronze::bronze::hidden:Bronze/Bronze/Black:bronze::bronze::hidden: These last 3 days with Broken Age haven't been much fun. But I can't say with any authority that this is a bad game, given my inexperience of the genre and its kind of puzzles. Maybe point-and-click adventures just aren't my thing and never will be. If you've played this game, I'd love to hear your opinion!

---

Trophies earned in this game: 5 (1:silver:, 4:bronze:) for 90 points [8% completion]
Total trophies earned in this event: 42 (2:gold:, 9:silver:, 31:bronze:) for 915 points

Current completion rate: 58.17% [Down 1.66% since start of event]

Down 0.88% due to Pinball Arcade
Down 0.58% due to Thief
Down 0.09% due to Ratchet & Clank
Down 0.59% due to Broken Age
Up 0.48% due to other games not part of this event

Just a little hint what to do on Shay's side

The only thing you can do is selecting "missions" to do, am I right? If so, select the one with the train. When you have to click on the mountain to open his mouth do so and wait till you drive again. Then immediately click on the mountain again to close his mouth. If done corecctly you should crash.

If you have already done this you have to escape throught the vent in your room. For this you have to use the inflatable raft as cover. use the gas tank on it and put it on the bed.

You can complete each side without doing anything with the other character.

Edited by MarkusT1992
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Melanogaster1987 said:

But in summary, it's been a painful, turgid slog so far. My play time sits at 2 h 42 min, but I've probably only made 10 minutes worth of progress. Are the puzzle solutions too obscure, or do I totally suck at this game... or this genre, for that matter? Whatever it is, I just haven't enjoyed my time with Broken Age. The story has potential, but if I'm going to see how it pans out, it'll probably be by blindly following a walkthrough click by click the rest of the way.

I feel that that is the issue most point-and-click games have, which is why they usually have to be carried by their story/characters. Most Lucas Arts and Double Fine games of the genre aren't very logical in the puzzle department, but usually have a good story and/or great characters. I despised Broken Age, because it had neither, as well as the puzzles not being very intuitive

I feel more accessible games of that kind are the Broken Sword games. Yesterday Origins is another good one when it comes to offering a good story and reasonable puzzles.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Canadian drinking age and real beer, best of both worlds for you (though I prefer Molson to Labatts).

For me growing up in that neck of the woods, vacation was heading down to Duluth/Superior with the odd run down to the Twin a Cities for North Stars games. That and an eternal appreciation of classic movies from watching the Matinee Money Movie on Duluth TV (all the Abbott & Costello, Japanese monster movies plus endless just awesome old black and whites).  Between that and UMD hockey games, I miss those channels.

• Like 1

On 12-11-2017 at 10:47 AM, Myu said:

Day 12 - Game 2

Dungeon Travelers 2

2133091445007457180card.jpg

738841dungeont.jpg

Time played : 9 hours

Completion rate : 86.77% (-0.95% since the beginning of the event)

Dungeon Travelers 2 is a dungeon crawler from 2013. 

You are Fried, a man obsessed with monsterology and your job is to seal monsters into your Grand Sealbook to help reduce their ever increasing population.

On your first mission, you get trapped underground and meet Alisia and Melvy, two childhood friends that are here to help you. Alisia is from the Fighter class and Melvy is a mage.

The story is very basic : you get a mission, you go seal the monster with your team and you go back to headquarters to report.

Being the second game of the franchise, there are a lot of private jokes and references to the first game and I don't understand any of them, the 1st game being in Japanese. Some dialogues are still very funny though. There's this comic duo you encounter in every dungeon and they frequently breach the 4th wall.7

Reveal hidden contents

27915620171110170941.jpg

There's also a lot of references to other games and anime. It makes the tutorials less boring

So far, I got a new member to join my team in every chapter. I now have a Spieler, a Maid (yes, that's a class in this game...) and a Scout. When they reach lvl15, you have the possibility to upgrade their class. For example, the Maid can become a Bard that will help with buffs or a Dancer with debuff skills.

They also change costume which is pretty nice.

The dungeons are very short and there's nothing to do in them, except opening treasure chests and finding the boss.

Fried has the ability to transform mobs and bosses into Seal Books that have different effects. Since the beginning of the game, the only book I've equipped is a book that ups the enemy encounters. There are not that many enemies in the dungeons and I often have to wander aimlessly for a while to grind a couple of levels or to find better equipment. I wish they did it just like in Demon Gaze and Operaton Abyss/Babel, where you get an enemy encounter every time you go through a door.

You can only get new equipment from treasure chests and monster drops (and also from a wandering seller, but those are so expensive that it's really not worth it) and it takes a while to find something useful.

When I got the game, I noticed the 16+ PEGI rating and it was kinda intrigued because the game's cover is pretty innocent. Well I think male players will be very happy with this title because there is a ton of CGs with very-lightly dressed ladies of all kinds because guess what, the so-called « monsters » are in fact human-shaped and apparently, nobody told them you're supposed to wear clothes.

Reveal hidden contents

10 minutes into the game

76931520171110165445.jpg

'Monsters'

78446220171110201238.jpg

This game is full of fan service. When you defeat a boss, you get a CG, there also are scenes and dialogues between two expeditions and of course, you get a CG. And let's not even talk about the class costumes.

Funny things is, the MC is not really disturbed by all that nudity.

Reveal hidden contents

68214120171111151125.jpg

I think Dungeon Travelers is not bad but it's not a good dungeon crawler either.

I prefer Operation Babel/Abyss for the lengthy dungeons, the interesting story and the great chara-design. Dungeon Travelers is lacking on many points and I just hope it won't take too long to plat it.

I think I've got this game somewhere, your review makes me wanna play it :)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

BTW, how did you calculate the percentage of each game like that? It's really cool.

Just by noting my overall completion rate before and after each time I sync my trophies.

13 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Just a little hint what to do on Shay's side

Reveal hidden contents

If you have already done this you have to escape throught the vent in your room. For this you have to use the inflatable raft as cover. use the gas tank on it and put it on the bed.

You can complete each side without doing anything with the other character.

Thanks for letting me know - it never occurred to me to use an item on another item in your inventory like this.

11 hours ago, Ditto said:

And then on Day 2 when I first booted it up, Garrett was stuck in a wall, forcing me to reload an earlier save. Still playable, but I feel like I'm not getting the whole story here. 

Something similar happened to me - I saved while in a vent, and when I resumed, I had clipped through the top of it, unable to move. I've read about others finding themselves stuck in vents, walls and rafters too upon reloading; there seems to be a problem with the game not positioning Garrett correctly when resuming. I don't think I will try saving when in a confined space again.

Edited by Melanogaster1987
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Melanogaster1987 said:

That's a shame you feel that way. I played Broken Age last event and it isn't nearly as obtuse as old point and click games. The formula is mostly 1) walk around the environment and pick up EVERYTHING you can 2) try and solve puzzles using the items you have collected 3) any puzzles you can't find, randomly try and use items with puzzles that make no sense to try and make a solution pop 4) repeat. I loved the humor in it though. Thought that was it's most redeeming quality. 

@Myu I was really intrigued initially by your Dungeon Traveler review. Thanks for the honest assessment. And btw, that totally reinforces the terrible stereotype that most westerners that have zero interest in anime have about anime: women are going to be naked or scantily clad for no reason at all. Lol. 

Edited by Jaguargenie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vin_rob said:

I did got it 100%, but that’s mostly because I liked the story but didn’t really liked the endings so I just wanted to keep playing till I had a ending I really liked.. of course that was the final one, with 1 trophy left till plat I just couldn’t help myself.

Yeah, I really liked the game, but most of the endings didn't do it for me. The ending you're talking about was great, though. 

1 hour ago, Melanogaster1987 said:

Something similar happened to me - I saved while in a vent, and when I resumed, I had clipped through the top of it, unable to move. I've read about others finding themselves stuck in vents, walls and rafters too upon reloading; there seems to be a problem with the game not positioning Garrett correctly when resuming. I don't think I will try saving when in a confined space again.

I saved while I was on top of something, and couldn't jump down off it. Lol. But that's a shame it has those problems.. At least it autosaves, too, so I wasn't set back too much. 

11 minutes ago, Jaguargenie said:

And btw, that totally reinforces the terrible stereotype that most westerners that have zero interest in anime have about anime: women are going to be naked or scantily clad for no reason at all.

1zax2j.jpg

• Like 1

@vin_rob If you're not afraid to die repeatedly against a stupid boss, be my guest. :P 

I've played a little more of the game and I can say that the Catacombs dungeon is a step-up : more enemies, a bigger map, and secret passages to find. There is now a blacksmith to upgrade weapons.

@Ditto I don't mind fanservice up to a certain point. I enjoy fanservice when it's oriented towards females so I understand how those CGs are interesting to males but I prefer when it serves a purpose or when it's more subtle. Fanservice for the sake of fanservice is kinda meh.

@Jaguargenie since I mostly play Japanese games, I can tell you from experience that fanservice is almost everywhere (and especially in dungeon crawlers). On my Vita shelf, there are very few titles that are "fanservice free". Most VNs have some fanservice scenes, even Stein's Gate with the shower scenes. I can't remember well but Root Letter might be the exception. 

My next game is Criminal Girl 2, another dungeon crawler with a lot of fanservice. :P 

• Like 3

Just a small update related to a previous game form these events. Okage plat is finally out of the way. As mentioned in the previous thread, not a fan of it and the final boss fight is one of the most anticlimactic boss fights ever. Well, at least it's one more game off the backlog list.

• Like 3

Life is simply unfair. I joined the event late, got all pumped to start a bunch of games... and today I found out I'll be working crazy hours for the next 3 weeks. I'm talking like 8:30am-11pm hours. Needless to say I won't have as much time to play games so I'm going to cut my list down from 7 games to "I'll do what I can". I'll still have time on the weekends and over Thanksgiving so I'll try and play some stuff.

Sorry everyone ?