Kill Your Completion V

9 hours ago, jasondm300 said:

L0d0a4f.png

√Letter 

7/27 Trophies 19%

Rating E

5 hours

Root letter is a Visual Novel where your character is trying to re-connect with your penpal Fumino Aya form 15 years past.  Going by the letters you received, you go back to her hometown of Matsue to talk to her after finding one additional letter that states she killed someone.  Upon arriving, you find out that no one named Fumino Aya was alive 15 years ago, but a girl with the same name died 25 years prior, and is said to haunt the high school.  You only clues are her friends mentioned in the letters, and to find them and ask questions.  The gameplay is more reminiscent of Ace Attorney as opposed to a straight VN.  It probably is the most hand holding VN game I have ever played as well.  The story seems ok, but it hasn't grasped me fully yet.  That is a sentence that I feel I think on a lot of VNs but then something happens to kick it up into high gear.  I am looking forward to finishing the story.  The chapters are nice a quick, so far only about 20 minutes each.  and I'm 4 out of 10 chapters done.  there are multiple endings, but the main story is the same, with just the final 2 chapters differentiating.  It will be an easy platinum once I finish the first playthrough.

Funny to see Root Letter again. I don't think we've had a KYC event without someone playing this game. 

3 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

I’ll be starting Unravel probably tomorrow, but I’ll give my expectations today.

I saw the Unravel artwork on a gamer card and quickly tracked down what game it was and purchased it last December when it was half off. I played it for about twenty minutes but got distracted by other games quickly afterward.

I’m expecting a cozy game with an equally cozy story. I’m interested to see how the strings work as a mechanic and if they found some unique uses for that. I love the artwork and I hope I find another string thing to make friends with. I equally hope not to encounter a cat.

I played this game in KYC3. Your profile doesn't indicate you're a Completionist, so you should enjoy this one a bit more than I did at first. There's a trophy for beating all levels without dying and that was frustrating at many spots.  I eventually completed them all for the plat but this one was tougher than I expected for an "artsy" game.

If you're not hell-bent on the platinum, then you'll really enjoy it. The visuals are great, soundtrack is wonderful and how the developers incorporate the scenery into the game is clever. Have fun!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, vin_rob said:

Le9e2b9.png

I’ve had some experiences with infamous since I’ve got the infamous games for the ps4 and I got the plat for both of them. But this is the first one I’m playing for the ps3,

Good luck on finishing the game; I bought the first two after enjoying the PS4 games and I find the PS3 titles to be unbelievably slow and dull. Still haven't finished the first one.

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

My completion percentage is going the wrong way.

I'm down 0,13% after three games with at least one trophy earned but my list of games has become big enough that adding a new game does not have a huge impact any more. Still, couple of big games with little time to go...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cubone said:

I'm down 0,13% after three games with at least one trophy earned but my list of games has become big enough that adding a new game does not have a huge impact any more. Still, couple of big games with little time to go...

I did put the shorter games to the front of my list, so the latter half is probably going to be a lot worse. Lol. I wasn't sure I'd actually complete Starwhal, either. Had my doubts at first. 

10 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Funny to see Root Letter again. I don't think we've had a KYC event without someone playing this game. 

I picked it up on the cheap ($5 ish) and it really is Gamer's first VN.  really simple story, and the game literally tells you were to go every step of the way.  It also really short.  I'm at 6 hours of clock time, with it idleing about 1-1.5 hours, and I'm almost done with chapter 8 of 10 for the first playthrough.  the next 4 will be really quick

4 hours ago, jasondm300 said:

I picked it up on the cheap ($5 ish) and it really is Gamer's first VN.  really simple story, and the game literally tells you were to go every step of the way.  It also really short.  I'm at 6 hours of clock time, with it idleing about 1-1.5 hours, and I'm almost done with chapter 8 of 10 for the first playthrough.  the next 4 will be really quick

I better grab it on a sale and keep the Root Letter streak alive in KYC VI! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

So I've put an hour in this game so far and completed 20 levels. I gotta say, it's very meh. The game feels lackluster in every aspect so far and I'm quite sure that won't change. The gadgets are fiddly as hell and some have way too long cooldowns. If I have to stand idle just to wait for something to recharge, that's something that makes me question the game design.

I hope this isn't another Amnesia: Memories.. I can't be the only one that liked Volume? Surely it doesn't have anything to do with the main character's name. :ninja:

5 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I better grab it on a sale and keep the Root Letter streak alive in KYC VI! 

At least opinions on this one seem a bit more positive. There are those that didn't care for it, though. I loved it, so yes, definitely do so. ;) 

Game #3

Day 1....there is noooooooooooo Day 1...

Too busy teaching all day and out the door for stuff with the kids half hour after getting home from work.  Just got in and heading to ground for another day of teaching all day tomorrow, then babysit my god-daughter. Might have some time after work while my wife takes my oldest to the dentist.

Knew this three day block was going to be busy but had an extra 6 hrs of teaching over today and tomorrow dropped in my lap this morning. I'll be happy if I actually get something started but I hate playing something new when I've got like 15 min of spare time. Hardly get through opening cinematics in that time let alone getting a handle on a new playing style.

Cross your fingers for me the next couple days....cheers!

• Like 3

On 11/6/2017 at 3:52 PM, voodoo_eyes said:

Game #2 - Final Impressions

L152065.png

The soundtrack for those that are curious

Reveal hidden contents

Mafia III Soundtrack

• "Mother's Little Helper" by the Rolling Stones
  • "Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones
  • "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones
  • "Street Fighting Man" by the Rolling Stones
  • "Chain Gang" by Sam Cooke
  • "Wonderful World" by Sam Cooke
  • "Bring it on Home to Me" by Sam Cooke
  • "Another Saturday Night" by Sam Cooke
  • "I'm Gonna Forget About You" by Sam Cooke
  • "Ninety-Six Tears" by Question Mark and the Mysterians
  • "Go Go Shoes" by Lonnie Youngblood
  • "Take me for What I Am" by L.C. Cooke
  • "I Let a Good Thing Go By" by Dewey Edwards
  • "Dance of the Hours" by Beethoven Ben
  • "Hang Ten" by the Fun Sons
  • "Proud Mary" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals
  • "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • "You" by Marvin Gaye
  • "Hold On, I’m Comin’" by Sam and Dave
  • "Pictures Of Matchstick Men" by Status Quo
  • "Chain Of Fools" by Aretha Franklin
  • "Respect" by Aretha Franklin
  • "Piece Of My Heart" by Big Brother & the Holding Company
  • "I Fought the Law" by Bobby Fuller Four
  • "The Letter" by Box Tops
  • "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brothers
  • "Slip Away" by Clarence Carter
  • "Psychotic Reaction" by Count Five
  • "White Room" by Cream
  • "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • "Born On The Bayou" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • "Palisades Park" by Freddy Cannon
  • "Somebody To Love" by Jefferson Airplane
  • "Folsom Prison Blues (Live)" by Johnny Cash
  • "Shotgun" by Jr. Walker and the All Stars
  • "Nowhere To Run" by Martha and the Vendellas
  • "(Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding
  • "Palisades Park" by Ramones
  • "King of the Road" by Roger Miller
  • "Soul Man" by Sam and Dave
  • "Li'l Red Riding Hood" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs
  • "Desperation" by Steppenwolf
  • "You Keep Me Hangin’ On [#1]" by the Supremes
  • "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" by the Temptations
  • "Wild Thing" by the Troggs
  • "One" by Three Dog Night
  • "You Keep Me Hangin' On" by Vanilla Fudge
  • "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" by John Lee Hooker
  • "Good Times are so Hard to Find" by Blue Cheer
  • "Ay-Tete Fee" by Clifton Chenier
  • "You Belong To Me" by The Duprees
  • "Take Me for What I'm Worth" by the Searchers
  • "What Kind of Fool (Do You Think I Am)" by The Tams
  • "Black Ghost Blues" by Lightnin' Hopkins
  • "Green River" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • "Walking the Dog" by Rufus Thomas
  • "I Got My Mojo Working" by the Shadows of Knight
  • "You Belong To Me" by Misfits
  • "Bad Moon Rising" by Mourning Ritual ft Peter Dreimanis
  • "Tramp" by Otis Redding & Carla Thomas
  • "On The Road Again" by Canned Heat
  • "Don't Go To Strangers" by Etta James
  • "Long Tall Sally" by Little Richard
  • "Running Scared" by Roy Orbison
  • "Crazy" by Patsy Cline
  • "Runaway (1967 version)" by Del Shannon
  • "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire
  • "Knock on Wood" by Eddie Floyd
  • "Help Me, Rhonda" by Beach Boys
  • "Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolf
  • "I Wish It Would Rain" by Temptations
  • "Heroes and Villains Beach Boys
  • "Reach Out, I'll Be There" by Four Tops
  • "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane
  • "G.I. Blues" by Lightnin' Slim
  • "Keep Searchin’ (We’ll Follow The Sun)" by Del Shannon
  • "Love Child" by Diana Ross & the Supremes
  • "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" by the Miracles
  • "Baby Love" by the Supremes
  • "Son of a Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield
  • "Wouldn’t It Be Nice" by Beach Boys
  • "Get Up and Get Down" by the Dramatics
  • "Bottom of the River" by Delta Rae
  • "Ring Of Fire" by Johnny Cash
  • "Kicks" by Paul Revere and the Raiders
  • "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" by the Animals
  • "Needles & Pins" by the Searchers
  • "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly
  • "I Can't Turn You Loose" by Chambers Brothers
  • "Hard to Handle"by Otis Redding
  • "The Weight" by The Band
  • "Paint it Black" by the Avengers
  • "Five Card Hand" by Mercy Dee Walton
  • "You Better Stop" by Sonny Rhodes
  • "Must Have Been the Devil" by Otis Spann
  • "I Got You (I Feel Good)" by James Brown
  • "Hey Big Momma" by Roosevelt Sykes
  • "Sinner's Prayer" by Lightnin' Hopkins
  • "The Howling Wolf" by Lightnin' Hopkins
  • "A Little Less Conversation" by Elvis

Thanks for including the soundtrack - that's one hell of a list! Can't believe they got the Stones on board with some of their best tracks.  You might be interested in the soundtrack for Ken Burns' Vietnam documentary. It's on iTunes. It has some iconic tracks as well. And it's one phenomenal documentary. 

2 hours ago, Ditto said:

At least opinions on this one seem a bit more positive. There are those that didn't care for it, though. I loved it, so yes, definitely do so. ;) 

Playing Root Letter would be way out of my gaming element. But with a 55% plat, what could go wrong? BTW, I looked in the prior events and DizzyShadow played it in KYC IV and Markus tried it in III. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

Game #3

Day 1....there is noooooooooooo Day 1...

Too busy teaching all day and out the door for stuff with the kids half hour after getting home from work.  Just got in and heading to ground for another day of teaching all day tomorrow, then babysit my god-daughter. Might have some time after work while my wife takes my oldest to the dentist.

Knew this three day block was going to be busy but had an extra 6 hrs of teaching over today and tomorrow dropped in my lap this morning. I'll be happy if I actually get something started but I hate playing something new when I've got like 15 min of spare time. Hardly get through opening cinematics in that time let alone getting a handle on a new playing style.

Cross your fingers for me the next couple days....cheers!

Thanks for the update. And thanks for teaching our youth! 

Are you in the Toronto metroplex of Ontario or out in the NW part (Thunder Bay)?

5 hours ago, mking_63 said:

Speaking of Transistor, that's my third game of the event. I had enough time to get to the first boss encounter. I knew this game was by Supermassive who did Bastion, I read that this game came out first. I was totally surprised by how similar the two games were. Like the engine and the core mechanics are identical, the graphics and sounds are different but they play like the same game. There were further similarities, the vague undefined nature of the game worlds at the start of the games, the constant presence of the narrator. I'm pretty sure it's the same narrator in both games, he just sounds gruffer in Bastion. I guess it's not a bad thing necessarily, to share so much with Bastion because they're both decent games. It just seems a little lazy. I guess I can't point the finger at Transistor since it was released first but that sense of déjà vu certainly dominated my first impressions. I started playing Bastion last month but lost interest not long into it, mainly because I was still focused on Shovel Knight. It was a decent game and I'm sure I'll get back to it but I might as well focus on Transistor now first. I'm going to save a more through description of the game for the final review so it's all in one post.

Just going to add some bits for your info:

• The company is Supergiant Games, Supermassive Games made Until Dawn.
  • Bastion came out first for XBox Live Arcade and was the ported to the PS4.
  • You are quite correct that the narrator is the same, the difference is he actually is present in Transistor (as the Transistor).
  • Give the combat more of a chance, you'll be surprised :)
  • Like 1

@Psy-Tychist Thanks for the corrections, I don't research these reviews, I was just going off of memory of something I'd read a while ago. To be fair Supergiant and Supermassive are probably the two easiest company names to confuse for someone who doesn't follow the industry too closely, even easier that Traveller's Tales and Tell Tale Games. It probably didn't help that I played through Until Dawn a couple of months ago. Regarding the chronological order, I've got no excuse for that, guess I just misread or misremembered. :lol:

@dizzyshadow The part about reusing pieces in different builds sounds interesting. The Lego games were in dire need of something resembling a puzzle mechanic. For all the franchise action games they release I would really like to see a new Lego Racers game. You ever play those?