An old blooded review

The first time I gotten to play this game was a long while back when it was somewhat still new and I remember that I had a lot of fun and now that I have gotten to replay it for this month to refresh for this, it still has that fun I remember but it also has a few problems with it but let's stop there and just say that there will be abit of story spoilers in this review so you have been warned and with that said let's get on with the review shall we.

So the set up is you looking for the file on the location of Deathshead compound and on the way you get put into a cell very early and must use a rusty old pipe to get out of castle wolfenstein. The game's story is well ok nothing ground braking but it has a lot of good moments, so let's go for the good parts of it.

The gameplay is fun and rewarding when you get to ether take down all of the 10 Nazis in the room and plus the uber solider with just barely any ammo left or only 20hp left, some of the perks are good and easy to get while only the odd one or two might be hard most are easy, also it kinda shows how far you gone in the game by seeing all the perks you got so far and the fun fact in this game is very high. The shooting has a good feel to them making guns feel powerful when used and not useless pea shooters that do hardly nothing and the impact of it on the enemy makes it all the more enjoyable. Also the difficulty modes that are there are mostly fair and give the player a even field to fight on and both ways of play can work, the stealth way or the Rambo way works, however, the only time stealth does not work is later on in the game when the undead come into play. I think right now would be a good place to talk about the bad now.

The problems the game has are very few and am really digging deep for most of the problems I will talk about here. The main in your face problem I see is that near the end the Nazis turn into zombies and become bullet spongy unless you go for the headshots or use a shotgun on them to take them down fast and easy. The other problems with the game is that in terms of sticking to the wall abit too much when trying to peek your head out to take out an enemy solider while in cover your character sticks to the walls too much and can be annoying if your trying to just get a pop out fast and shoot going your view may screw up from this. Another problem I faced is that when doing a take down and there is enemies attacking you, your not invisible and are taking dmg fast and can be killed while doing a long take down, this is a lot more annoying in the hardest mode as if you were to use a knife in your hand then a gun you end up doing a take down unless you attack and go abit close to make it hit them in time without the take down. I know it is a lot spoken here of both good and bad but I think we need a short recap of both with added a few things not spoke here and my final thoughts on it.

The good.

• Guns feel powerful and not weak.
  • Many ways to take out the enemies.
  • Pure thrill when beating all odds that are not in your favour.
  • Stealth works mostly.
  • Fair difficulty.
  • Cheap price.

The bad.

• shotguners and zombies are bullet sponges.
  • sticking to walls too much.
  • Not invisible when doing take downs.
  • When one person sees you they all know where you are.
  • Slow start.

Final thought.

The game is fun and is worth putting the name of wolfenstein on it as it makes you feel powerful and like you would in the past games and while it has a few problems it can be overlooked for the most part as of how fun the game is and the thrill you get for killing Nazis all over again with BJ in this. I give this game a 4.6/5 and I would recommend this to anyone who loves the old doom, wolfenstein games.

Hope this review helped you all and if you have any feedback let me know down below. Also the next game I will review is wolfenstein the new order so look out for that.

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I agree with the ^some of your criticism. Though not all.

I don't feel that it was a problem that you sometimes had to stick to the walls. I think it worked as a valid strategy when needed. 

And I don't think you should be invisible just because you perform a takedown. When people notice you they yell or shoot thus alarming others. Makes sense.

And lastly, I really enjoyed the prologue, didn't think it was too slow.

Just a note

Even though I don't agree with the points doesn't invalidate them. Every review is subjective.^^ 

Edited by isaacoomer4

11 hours ago, isaacoomer4 said:

I agree with the ^some of your criticism. Though not all.

I don't feel that it was a problem that you sometimes had to stick to the walls. I think it worked as a valid strategy when needed. 

And I don't think you should be invisible just you perform a takedown. When people notice you they yell or shoot thus alarming others. Makes sense.

And lastly, I really enjoyed the prologue, didn't think it was too slow.

Just a note

Even though I don't agree with the points doesn't invalidate them. Every review is subjective.^^ 

Thanks for the feedback, I only reviewed all the now time wolfenstein games by comparing them to the past games and how they are as to me if a game goes too far out and brakes many of the things that made it what it is to start with kind of kills it in my mind, it is like dead rising going from killing zombies and saving people while being timed to a hack and slash with monsters that are not zombies and doing a way with doing everything in a time. It can work but it needs to do a lot of work to make it well work as it were.

Edit: I do think the same that all are subjective but as a reviewer I try my best to show everyone the ups and downs I had and try and use all the view points I know of and put them to the review and see if it works, it does and does not but yeah I try my best.

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Still got a few challenges remaining but really enjoyed the game. 

I found this more difficult than The New Order, but also a lot more fair. For example. The shotgunners in this game can be taken out with one shot if you snipe the head or shoot the gas packs on them. There were a few sections where you can get instantly killed due to no indication but its very doable, though it can break the flow and feel like control was taken from the gamer. Enemies will grenade spam you when you get closed in which is actually really smart of the AI. Might feel cheap but its how its done in war no doubt.

The set pieces are stunning and some real depth went into making the game. Shame the story was on the weak side. It sort of feels like how certain Far Cry games feel more like expansions due to enough game content but lack of story, but Old Blood seems to have far more effort put into level design. 

Really glad I played it.