The Last of Us Part II PGW 2017 Trailer

Azaan60

Really wish I weren't at work right now, because that seems like something I probably don't need playing on my screen.

Looks badass though from what I have seen.  They weren't lying when they said if TLOU1 was about 'love', then Part II would be about 'hate'.  Naughty Dog going darker with this one.

Edited by Dreakon13

I noticed that they call the clickers ''demons'' in this trailers so I definitely think this is just at the beginning of the outbreak. Also, the character that looked a lot like Ellie is probably Ellie's mom. Her attacker also put a knife against her stomach, indicating what could be pregnancy (like the easter-egg in Uncharted 4).

I believe this is a cutscene from a flashback during the main game, like uncharted 4 & 3 had some. This is probably(99%) Ellie's mother played by Laura Bailey.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I noticed that they call the clickers ''demons'' in this trailers so I definitely think this is just at the beginning of the outbreak. Also, the character that looked a lot like Ellie is probably Ellie's mom. Her attacker also put a knife against her stomach, indicating what could be pregnancy (like the easter-egg in Uncharted 4).

Gonna agree on that confirming what I said above.

I feel they could have done better with this than what's essentially five minutes of context-free violence. Call me desensitised, but at this stage I'm so used to seeing it in games - especially when paired with the promise of a mature and gritty storyline - that it's lost all impact, and strikes me mostly as a cynical marketing ploy. Which, of course, it probably is. 

The trailer itself is hard to get excited about. I have no recollection of Ellie mentioning her mother in the first game, and generally have no association of Ellie and her mother, so that particular line of speculation leaves me underwhelmed. Hard to say any more about a teaser, only that I trust the finished product will be more subtle in its exploration of conflict and misery. 

• Like 1

Okay, I'd like to know if I'm the only one slightly disturbed by how unnecessary all the violence in there felt. All I could do was look at a bunch of whatstheirfaces brutally hurting/killing each other. Violence without a clear motif in a narrative-driven game is disturbing in my eyes so I deeply felt the lack of context in this scene. 

It does not take a lot of studying to guess the trailer is set before Ellie was born. Her mom, Anna, is pregnant with her and she seems to be referred to as "the carrier of sin." They also call the infected "demons," leading to believe we're at a point even before TLOU I.

I think the game looks awesome and I have high hopes and confidence that it will become a classic, but this one trailer felt a bit too try-hard for my taste. I'm sure, though, that it is not a statement for the whole game, as Naughty Dog know their pacing. Looking forward to the next showing ^_^ 

• Like 2

Holy crap.. Now I don't get squeamish about violence, Gore, dismemberment, you name it in video games but something about this trailer made me slightly uncomfortable with all of his violence. Maybe the bone crushing got to me( I cant look at broken bones.. Nope!)

Also as some member pointed out, what's with all of the excessive brutal violence. Not saying to make it pg 13 or something but damn TLoU 1 wasn't like that.

• Like 1

The game is looking great. I don't really understand all this uproar about the violence shown off in the trailer. I mean it's a fucked up world, so these sorts of things are bound to happen. I don't think anything should be off limits. It made me uncomfortable to watch, but that's kinda the whole point. Neil Druckmann has mentioned before that while TLoU1 was a story about love, TLoU2 is about hate. It makes perfect sense why there's all this violence when you think of it like that.

At least nobody is specifically mentioning the violence against women which some of the more leftist sites are making a big fuss about. :P

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheArcadeKid said:

I feel they could have done better with this than what's essentially five minutes of context-free violence. Call me desensitised, but at this stage I'm so used to seeing it in games - especially when paired with the promise of a mature and gritty storyline - that it's lost all impact, and strikes me mostly as a cynical marketing ploy. Which, of course, it probably is.

The trailer itself is hard to get excited about. I have no recollection of Ellie mentioning her mother in the first game, and generally have no association of Ellie and her mother, so that particular line of speculation leaves me underwhelmed. Hard to say any more about a teaser, only that I trust the finished product will be more subtle in its exploration of conflict and misery.

Ellie's mother is a huge part of why Ellie is Ellie and why Marlene did what she did, you can learn more about her on the prequel comics.