Marvel's Spiderman PGW 2017 {Trailer and Discussion}

Lawless_Llama

Game looks well made, but for my part I am rather disappointed that a studio that good is wasting it’s considerable talents on a Spiderman licenced game.

those should be left to lower tier studios with less creative talent, while top tier studios make their own IP.

35 minutes ago, Freelancer Tex said:

What the fuck did I just read? A waste of talent? Just because it’s based on a licensed property that means it can’t be creative? What a load of bullshit.

No need to be rude.

I’m not saying that the developer can’t be creative, I’m saying that their creativity will be severely curtailed. 

They can craft a story in their way - and I imagine they will manage to craft a good one (or at least one that Spiderman fans will like) - but it has to be within a set, very specific framework. It cannot deviate from the defined characters, characteristics, aesthetic, tone, location and general mood set by the owners of the IP. 

Working with someone elses IP means that that outside party has final control over the content of the game - not the developers themselves. Marvel will have the right to veto any content they feel is ‘off-brand’ or not in keeping with their own views of their IP.

The developer is therefore, by definition, unable to be as creative as they would if they were in control of their own IP.

I think a studio this talented deserves full control of their content, and as a consumer I want to see the fruits that a talanted developer can reap when working with full creative freedom.

42 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No need to be rude.

I’m not saying that the developer can’t be creative, I’m saying that their creativity will be severely curtailed. 

They can craft a story in their way - and I imagine they will manage to craft a good one (or at least one that Spiderman fans will like) - but it has to be within a set, very specific framework. It cannot deviate from the defined characters, characteristics, aesthetic, tone, location and general mood set by the owners of the IP. 

Working with someone elses IP means that that outside party has final control over the content of the game - not the developers themselves. Marvel will have the right to veto any content they feel is ‘off-brand’ or not in keeping with their own views of their IP.

The developer is therefore, by definition, unable to be as creative as they would if they were in control of their own IP.

I think a studio this talented deserves full control of their content, and as a consumer I want to see the fruits that a talanted developer can reap when working with full creative freedom.

There is always that one guy that tries to degrade something everybody is hype for lol

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

those should be left to lower tier studios with less creative talent, while top tier studios make their own IP.

It's been that way way for years and the games have been average at best, although I still enjoyed the games that I did play. I don't see why a high tier studio with creative talent can't work on an IP like this. 

Anyway, the last Spider-Man games I thought were awesome was Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man back on the PS2. I think this is going to be equally as good, if not better. I'm leaning towards better but it's early days and I shouldn't get over excited.

But damn it looks good though! :holy:

Also does anyone know who the villain at 1:46 in the video is? Shocker comes to mind but I'm not too sure.

I appreciate Insomniac Games putting real effort into a series that has long been plagued with either not so great or downright bad games.

This new game looks to be more of what we we used to when we watched the Spiderman trilogy a decade ago, or even the cartoons for that matter. Hopefully they will come through.

6 hours ago, Slipknot_rooney said:

It's been that way way for years and the games have been average at best, although I still enjoyed the games that I did play. I don't see why a high tier studio with creative talent can't work on an IP like this. 

Anyway, the last Spider-Man games I thought were awesome was Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man back on the PS2. I think this is going to be equally as good, if not better. I'm leaning towards better but it's early days and I shouldn't get over excited.

But damn it looks good though! :holy:

Also does anyone know who the villain at 1:46 in the video is? Shocker comes to mind but I'm not too sure.

The villain is Mr. Negative. He is able to switch his body from a positive charge to a negative one at will and wields black electricity. 

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No need to be rude.

I’m sorry, I was rude, but the lack of any explanation set me off. 

1 hour ago, olimoo101 said:

Sorry backlog, old games and other games highly regarded games I'll never get around to, 2017 and 2018 has taken you away.

I still got games I bought in early - mid 2015 I haven't gotten around to yet. Like the Prince of Persia games on the PS3, Metro Last Light Redux on the PS4, Far Cry 4 on the PS4, and Bloodborne.

So don't feel too bad.

14 minutes ago, Freelancer Tex said:

I’m sorry, I was rude, but the lack of any explanation set me off. 

It's easy to throw mud at the licensed franchises because of their history of making shitty games. Spiderman had a couple on the Nintendo Game Boy and Sega Genesis that were just utter crap.

No franchise can compare to Superman. He's had the absolute worst treatment when it comes to games. I guess people were so disgusted with Superman 64 that nobody is willing to step up and produce a good AAA game for this console generation.

16 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

There is always that one guy that tries to degrade something everybody is hype for lol

...and such words should definitely be heeded in the back of the mind. Bloodmoney might be incorrect in his analysis, but there is nothing wrong with some healthy skepticism for a trailer that showed delightful looking cut scenes, but somewhat pedestrian in-game combat.

I love that Marvel is finally getting behind Spider-Man again, and I think a great Spider-Man video game is out there. But I hope there is more to it than simply CGI explosions and cool facial animations. Spidey sense becomes fairly stupid in a game where you charge into enemies, e.g., but has a lot to offer in a game with a heavy stealth component. 

So, long story short, we'll see.

10 hours ago, Freelancer Tex said:

The villain is Mr. Negative. He is able to switch his body from a positive charge to a negative one at will and wields black electricity. 

Yeah - let's hope he's a one-off (or that we have some 4th-wall-breaking commentary explaining that with all of the money put into the special effects, the game could only afford loser villains like Mr. Negative).

19 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Yeah - let's hope he's a one-off (or that we have some 4th-wall-breaking commentary explaining that with all of the money put into the special effects, the game could only afford loser villains like Mr. Negative).

Kingpin is possibly seen getting into a vehicle near the beginning though. 

I also like diving into more C and D list villains.  Hell, clayface from the Batman comics is still one of my favs even though he's C at best. (Even though he has a pretty big role in detective comics right now and bombshells United) Can make the game more interesting like throwing clue master into the plot of Batman eternal, a very low D ranked villain.  I don't know much about marvel comics but I can still find interest in a not well known villain.  If you've ever played the Deadpool video game they use the lesser know villains as goofs which I found highly entertaining

Edited by Muskratateer

1 minute ago, Muskratateer said:

Kingpin is possibly seen getting into a vehicle near the beginning though. 

I also like diving into more C and D list villains.  Hell, clayface from the Batman comics is still one of my favs even though he's C at best. (Even though he has a pretty big role in detective comics right now and bombshells United) Can make the game more interesting like throwing clue master into the plot of Batman eternal, a very low D ranked villain.  I don't know much about marvel comics but I can still find interest in a not well known villain.  If you've ever played the Deadpool video game they use the lesser know villains as goofs which I found highly entertaining

A lot of Batman villains got new life thanks to Bruce Timm's animated series. Prior to that, I would have agreed that Clayface was a dud (particularly the Matt Hagan version that the show used), but after what Timm did, that changed everything for Batman.

Clue Master, though, is still a complete dud for me. xD

• Like 1

@starcrunch061 good point about the animated series. 

Although clue master is a dud there are a lot of unused villains that could use the Bruce tim treatment.  The movie/video game scene is oversaturated with villains like the joker (cough cough Arkham Knight), doctor doom, and the like who show up everywhere because companies go, "oh it's the joker he will sell the movie on his own".  So I am open arms to any non-major villain at this point taking center stage (as long as it's done well of course)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't come across Mr.Negative in the comics yet, I'm still new to Spidey comics, Dying Wish being the last comic I read. I'm pretty happy though that they have used a relatively unknown villain. With the Arkham series, Joker got old pretty quick in my opinion, Batman has a pretty diverse rogues gallery so seeing Joker yet again was a little annoying, so I'm pleased to see Insomniac go with a new villain instead of someone we all know. One of the problems I had with Arkham Origins.

On 31/10/2017 at 4:15 PM, Muskratateer said:

who show up everywhere because companies go, "oh it's the joker he will sell the movie on his own".  So I am open arms to any non-major villain at this point taking center stage (as long as it's done well of course)

I'd really like to see Morbius in a Spidey game. I've been reading Agent Venom lately and I've really enjoyed Jack O'lantern so I'd be really happy to see him appear at some point, unlikely though. A game based on Agent Venom with Jack as the main villain would be cool! Getting ahead of myself now. A nice thought though. So many cool comic book characters, it's a shame they don't get more attention.