Expected prices for the PS4 games

Aranea Highwind

From IGN

http://www.ign.com/a...mes-price-point

Speaking with CNBC, SCEA President and CEO Jack Tretton clarified the price we can expect to pay for PS4 titles. The system will support free-to-play games, and Sony, "will offer games with prices ranging from $0.99 to the more traditional $60 range with the ability for players to sample games before they buy."

Tretton also talked a bit about how Sony didn't actually show what the hardware itself looked like. "I can promise you that it will be plastic, it won't be triangle shaped or round. You'll see the box in due time."

Do Tretton's coments make you feel better? Doesn't sound like any of us will be paying the $90 to $100 we have for games in past generations.

So it sounds like the PS4 games will cost the same as the PS3 games do now? :hmm:

Does that mean once the PS4 is released the price will drop for the PS3... interesting.

It may be a bit of a shift. I can foresee PS3 console prices increasing (or staying as they are), yet PS3 games themselves dropping. More so in individual value rather than retail sales price.

Either way, with as many as Sony has shipped versus units sold, and with the PS4 not playing PS3 retail titles (or even PSN titles for that matter), it'll be an odd predicament.

Great find! (I say that alot :P ) I am a bit suprised though. I would have thought thay games would be cheaper this gen. Sure they are infinitely more incredible looking, but it's supposed to be MUCH easier to develop these games. Also if we buy digitally, there should be a large discount of like 10-20 dollars. Regardless, I will be happy to pay the money for KZ4 and I3 among other titles. GOD I CAN'T FRICKIN WAIT!

• Like 2

I agree! Games back when the PS2 was still sold was around the same price a PS3 games cost today. At least, where I live that is! If they say it'll cost an average 60$, then that's what Metal Gear Rising cost me without taxes when I bought it (59,99$ canadian).

Edited by Crisis001

• 2 weeks later...

I agree! Games back when the PS2 was still sold was around the same price a PS3 games cost today. At least, where I live that is! If they say it'll cost an average 60$, then that's what Metal Gear Rising cost me without taxes when I bought it (59,99$ canadian).

What is this Taxes ppl talks about?

It's sales tax.

For example, prices in the US usually are quoted before sales tax, therefore, depending on which state the item is purchased, you need to add on the applicable sales tax.

In the UK, sales tax is known as VAT (value added tax) and is a fixed rate for the whole country (20%) and is already added to the price of the item.

Wait $90 US? I doubt they'll change in Australia and we will still have to pay $80-$100.

Good grief.  You know, I understand the cost of importing, however, you poor Aussies are getting ripped off.  If enough of one item is imported, the price is usually cheaper to import per item.  That savings should be passed on to the consumer.  Unless you guys have an outrageous tax rate, then that's different.

It's the money a country's citizens give back to the government so they can fund things like building and maintaining roads, keeping bridges from falling into water, keeping a postal system running, feeding the poor....you know, civilized stuff.

It's sales tax.

For example, prices in the US usually are quoted before sales tax, therefore, depending on which state the item is purchased, you need to add on the applicable sales tax.

In the UK, sales tax is known as VAT (value added tax) and is a fixed rate for the whole country (20%) and is already added to the price of the item.

Ah you mean Moms and it's 25% in Denmark

To believe that PS4 games would be priced significantly higher than PS3 games once the system launched is nothing more than scare tactics rumors. Sony realizes that even when the PS4 drops they still have an extremely significant revenue stream to earn from with the PS3. That is the reason why they are not making the system backwards compatible. This is Sony trying to milk every dollar out of all revenue streams before trying to take more money out of the gamers pocket to fund their production. People need to stop worrying so much about how Sony is trying to screw over the "average gamer" and needs to look at all the efforts they are putting in to appease the " average gamer" instead. 

To believe that PS4 games would be priced significantly higher than PS3 games once the system launched is nothing more than scare tactics rumors. Sony realizes that even when the PS4 drops they still have an extremely significant revenue stream to earn from with the PS3. That is the reason why they are not making the system backwards compatible. This is Sony trying to milk every dollar out of all revenue streams before trying to take more money out of the gamers pocket to fund their production. People need to stop worrying so much about how Sony is trying to screw over the "average gamer" and needs to look at all the efforts they are putting in to appease the " average gamer" instead. 

So how will Sony earn money on me, when I rocking my PS3 games on my PS3?

So how will Sony earn money on me, when I rocking my PS3 games on my PS3?

Artemisthemp, I meant it like this, since the PS3 is still selling strong, Sony is able to use the resources from that revenue stream to fund its development and production of PS4 products, i.e. consoles, accessories, games etc. So this is what is going to allow Sony to launch the PS4, for the same price, if not a few dollars cheaper than what the PS3 launched at and is also going to keep the PS4 games priced comparable to PS3 games. If the PS3 was not still selling strong, we the consumers would have had to pick up some more of the cost of production of the PS4. How would Sony do that, i.e. higher prices for consoles, games and accessories. So Sony is earning money off you like they do the rest of us gamers. The point I was trying to make was take a deeper look at how Sony is trying to appease the gamers from a sales/marketing point of view.

Over the years I paid many prices for video games for instance I paid for back in the day Baldur's Gate 49.99 while Landstalker 100.00, FF IX 40.00 and finally to make my point Final Fantasy 12 was priced 49.99 the exact same price I'd paid for Heroes of Might and Magic 5 vanilla game for that price. It depends on the market really EA and Patcher wants it at 69.99 so their investors can make that money while Sony want those PS 4 games to be in the 1 dollar to 59.99 range. I think it will be 59.99 range while PS 3 games will be 39.99 to 49.99 range. 

To be honest it's up to how the market plays it. EA can put an 6 hour campaign game for 69.99 while Level 5 can put an 60 hour plus game for 59.99. Still we can predict the future so when those prices hits they will hit.