Nier 3 / Automata 2

Not surprising considering they said that Nier would become a "significant franchise" after the success of Automata.

However, don't expect it to be like Automata. SE is going full-blown GaaS/microtransaction/F2P model now, if their investor reports are anything to go by.

4 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Not surprising considering they said that Nier would become a "significant franchise" after the success of Automata.

However, don't expect it to be like Automata. SE is going full-blown GaaS/microtransaction/F2P model now, if their investor reports are anything to go by.

Personally those things don't really bother me well the Micro-transactions side since its all optional cosmetic items that have no real impact on the game i mean ideally would be nice to unlock it through normal play as a bonus but in 2017 the days of the PS2 style of gaming is dead. But yes i am very much looking forward to another instalment

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

Personally those things don't really bother me well the Micro-transactions side since its all optional cosmetic items that have no real impact on the game i mean ideally would be nice to unlock it through normal play as a bonus but in 2017 the days of the PS2 style of gaming is dead. But yes i am very much looking forward to another instalment

:(

1. It's not all cosmetics anymore, and honestly it never was. #notAll
  2. They want you to buy it so they change how the game works. It would have been different had it not had the micro transactions.

I know it doesn't make much of a difference, especially short term, but I pretty much don't buy these games. I don't want the games. Simple as that. The games they usually do this kind of stuff with is polished for the masses, so they are games I usually wouldn't want anyway.

Sorry, just had to comment when you said what you did. It's hard for me to believe people actually hold this view. Maybe I misunderstood and what you said was just a joke?

31 minutes ago, MMDE said:

2. They want you to buy it so they change how the game works. It would have been different had it not had the micro transactions.

I know it doesn't make much of a difference, especially short term, but I pretty much don't buy these games. I don't want the games. Simple as that. The games they usually do this kind of stuff with is polished for the masses, so they are games I usually wouldn't want anyway.

Sorry, just had to comment when you said what you did. It's hard for me to believe people actually hold this view. Maybe I misunderstood and what you said was just a joke?

No it was not a joke.

I have played plenty of games riddled with Micro-transactions they have been there since the dawn of the Smartphone, not something that have ever been uncommon, they are all optional and do not affect the game in ways that interfear with the core game besides maybe speeding certain parts up or increasing statistical effects etc. These items are usually rare items or RNG or something of the sorts to tempt you to buy the microtransactions but are still in the game itself. You personally don't buy them is fine that is your opinion much to say i do not assume you are joking like i say it does not bother me adding micros-transactions to a game. 

At the end of the day for every one gamer that does not support it there are 10 gamers that will probably go for the Microtransaction. DLC back in 2005 on consoles enticed us into buying more of a game to increase its longevity and PS+ back in 2007/08 got us buying digital games with introducing people into the digital age and its connivence Micro-transactions is just another way of keeping people engaged just like these are and make games either free or cheaper to produce.

I might have gone slightly off topic but like i said so long as it does not interfear with the core aspect of the game its fine with me. IF there ever came to a point where something was a huge lackluster of content the gaming media would have an uproar, the community would have a uproar and the game dev would lose a buck load of cash in this process and will have more bad rep than is worth being remembered for that the second release would probably not be so succesful i would image. 

2 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Does Automata have micro-transactions?

Not to my knowledge no, all extra content has been either free from the store or provided free via update.

• Like 1

This makes me both excited and nervous both to excessive degrees.  Do I want more NieR, 100% yes, that being said if it is not Platinum Games + Square Enix + Taro-san is it more of what we loved or will it be mainstreamed loot box filled paywalled hand holding episodic shovelware?  Are we getting the same composer?  Is Taro-san in charge or has this been usurped? Same voice actors? Etc, etc.

I want more NieR: Automata, but it will probably not be the same feel as the previous game, that was lightning in a bottle, it's pretty rare to do that twice.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Seabound117 said:

This makes me both excited and nervous both to excessive degrees.  Do I want more NieR, 100% yes, that being said if it is not Platinum Games + Square Enix + Taro-san is it more of what we loved or will it be mainstreamed loot box filled paywalled hand holding episodic shovelware?  Are we getting the same composer?  Is Taro-san in charge or has this been usurped? Same voice actors? Etc, etc.

I want more NieR: Automata, but it will probably not be the same feel as the previous game, that was lightning in a bottle, it's pretty rare to do that twice.

I totally agree the move with Square Enix to work alongside with Platinum Games was a step in the right direction with Taro if anymore success is to be made i feel like it would be by this joint-venture.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MMDE said:

I think the paranoia and fear-mongering around microtransactions is getting a bit excessive... especially when it comes to single player games.  There's a very real threat of games including that kind of functionality, but there's absolutely no basis in which to think the game will be broken for the sake of including it.  Even Shadow of War, for all it's pre-release scares, by all accounts ended up being very mild in its usage.

Then again, this is the internet.  Which is nothing if not outraged by anything and everything.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

I think the paranoia and fear-mongering around microtransactions is getting a bit excessive... especially when it comes to single player games... but this is the internet.  Which is nothing if not outraged by anything and everything.

Fear-mongering??? ?

I was responding to what could just as well have been a joke or some strawman argument coming from the opposite direction.

We've already seen it in action, time after time. Yes, I fear it will come to games I love. Why wouldn't I? :S To be honest, it hasn't so far, and I'm glad about that. I totally get why people get frustrated over this. We all know why they do it. It can double or even triple income for a game. There are definitely better and worse ways to implement it, but it's getting more and more aggressive in a market where you already paid a lot to even play the game already. I totally get it with free to play games, but it's just a bit sickening to see in some of these full priced games. I'm simply not interested, so I won't partake in that part of the gaming industry, simple as that.

Also, we know not everyone buys microtransactions, so how can the publisher earn so much extra from it? Well, it's money rather directly into their own pockets, and we know it's often done in a way it's taking advantage of certain types of people, just like gambling and various other addictions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Fear-mongering??? 1f914.png

I was responding to what could just as well have been a joke or some strawman argument coming from the opposite direction.

We've already seen it in action, time after time. Yes, I fear it will come to games I love. Why wouldn't I? :S To be honest, it hasn't so far, and I'm glad about that. I totally get why people get frustrated over this. We all know why they do it. It can double or even triple income for a game. There are definitely better and worse ways to implement it, but it's getting more and more aggressive in a market where you already paid a lot to even play the game already. I totally get it with free to play games, but it's just a bit sickening to see in some of these full priced games. I'm simply not interested, so I won't partake in that part of the gaming industry, simple as that.

Yes, fear mongering.

#1 isn't true, and #2 is speculative at best... especially since I don't think we're talking about any specific, or existing, games at the moment.

I personally don't have an issue with your stance on it.  Buy games you want, don't buy games you don't.  Why should I care.  But as I said, I'm tired of the excessive paranoia.  It's ultimately what leads to a lot of toxicity in the gaming community, because it makes people very knee-jerky and irrational.

Edited by Dreakon13

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/10/16/yoko-taro-wants-make-drakengard-nier-sequels-well-adult-video-someday/

Q: What if you were to make the next NieR title?

Yoko Taro: I think I’d imagine a NieR: Automata sequel that everyone is thinking about, then make something that is not that. I’m going to ruin it, is what I’m thinking.

I hope he gets his chance.

Edited by xZoneHunter

9 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Yes, fear mongering.

#1 isn't true, and #2 is speculative at best... especially since I don't think we're talking about any specific, or existing games at the moment.

I personally don't have an issue with your stance on it.  Buy games you want, don't buy games you don't.  Why should I care.  But as I said, I'm tired of the excessive paranoia.  It's ultimately what leads to a lot of toxicity in the gaming community, because it makes people very knee-jerky and irrational.

What is not true about #1? :S It even started as not just being cosmetics, and goes back at least 6-7 years on the mobile market. It's been dripping more and more into the paid game market. Dead Space 3 is a pretty known example going back to 2013. It's not to give players more choice, it's about earning much more money.

I'm not saying you should care about what games I buy or not. :S I'm just saying, I don't want to play those games, and luckily so far it hasn't been anything I want to play that has been affected by this bs, but I can see how frustrating it is for those affected.

There's no paranoia, we've already seen it and it's still happening. Not sure where the paranoia is. Even when it's "just cosmetics", and it "doesn't change the gameplay fundamentally to make you pay more", it's still putting parts of the game behind an additional paywall. Sadly, it often do change the gameplay fundamentally, and they do it in such a way you should be tempted to buy it, because that's why they put it in there in the first place. It's not to be nice and give you options.

And take Dead Space 3, we saw how the series changed to implement the micro transactions and tempt you to pay for that. From what we've seen of the new SW Battlefront, we can see the changes made. Same with Destiny 2, the new Forza etc. This is not speculative. I'm more inclined to say what you do is pretend you don't see what is happening.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MMDE said:

What is not true about #1? :S It even started as not just being cosmetics, and goes back at least 6-7 years on the mobile market. It's been dripping more and more into the paid game market. Dead Space 3 is a pretty known example going back to 2013. It's not to give players more choice, it's about earning much more money.

I'm not saying you should care about what games I buy or not. :S I'm just saying, I don't want to play those games, and luckily so far it hasn't been anything I want to play that has been affected by this bs, but I can see how frustrating it is for those affected.

There's no paranoia, we've already seen it and it's still happening. Not sure where the paranoia is. Even when it's "just cosmetics", and it "doesn't change the gameplay fundamentally to make you pay more", it's still putting parts of the game behind an additional paywall. Sadly, it often do change the gameplay fundamentally, and they do it in such a way you should be tempted to buy it, because that's why they put it in there in the first place. It's not to be nice and give you options.

The paranoia is being concerned every game is going to be the worst-case scenario (or I suppose convincing yourself even minor things like "just cosmetics" are the worst-case scenario as well).  The fear mongering is saying it "often does change the gameplay functionality", particularly in single player games, when there's no possible way you could know what went on behind the scenes with any given game.  Correlation does not imply causation.  Yes, they want to make money, but they also want repeat customers and don't want to inevitably spur the wrath of the internet by doing something unconscionable.

EDIT: Maybe we just take a deep breath and see what becomes of a Nier 3, if anything, before casting too much doom on the non-existent hypothetical game because someone said something about Square-Enix's fiscal report.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Yes, they want to make money, but they also want repeat customers and don't want to inevitably spur the wrath of the internet

^^^^sic. Konami (let's see how metal gear sells now) 

37 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

EDIT: Maybe we just take a deep breath and see what becomes of a Nier 3, if anything, before casting too much doom on the non-existent hypothetical game because someone said something about Square-Enix's fiscal report.

^^^^This

57 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Same with Destiny 2, the new Forza etc. This is not speculative. I'm more inclined to say what you do is pretend you don't see what is happening.

I wish I kept playing after dead space 2 so I knew what was being talked about. Not sure I wanna know how they implemented micro transactions in that game. 

But so far with destiny 2 (and destiny 1(though I will never forgive them for not transferring at least the emotes from d1 to d2)) I think bungie handled it really really well. You can still get the stuff by leveling, but if you don't, you're really not missing out. There's nothing at Tes Everis that will change the gameplay for d2 for you, unless we're talking cosmetic. 

Which if that's the case the Tales series has been selling costumes seperately for a while now, as well as other games, I either buy it because of nostalgia, or usually just ignore it. And the other Tales stuff you can buy will save you a few hours tops on a 60+ hour game, more if you're going for the platinum. 

I have no experience with forza 

(I've played anthousand hours of destiny 1 and 2(probably more), including all hard mode raids dozens and dozens of times with my clan(which btw prestige leviathan can kiss my :ahem: for crap loot, making it the most useless endgame in all of destiny. At least the raid is fun by itself, especially on normal when you just want to have a good time with friends)) 

I think gamers are becomingly increasingly paranoid about the microtransaction model due to the abuses it brought in elements of the mobile market.  Things like limiting the amount you could play a game without opening the wallet or significant game advantage items hidden away in RNG loot boxes.  

My concern is that we are in an era where feature complete games are being chopped apart and resold to us as DLC packs or Season Passes.  Pay to use cosmetics are an unavoidable evolution of the gaming scene, as an MMO player I surrendered that argument years ago as a unobtrusive way for devs to fund game operations going forward.  My worry is the whole it's already in the game you just need to "unlock" it.

I will give a new NieR project a chance, I just don't want to have to buy it three times over to finish it.

43 minutes ago, Seabound117 said:

I think gamers are becomingly increasingly paranoid about the microtransaction model due to the abuses it brought in elements of the mobile market.  Things like limiting the amount you could play a game without opening the wallet or significant game advantage items hidden away in RNG loot boxes.  

My concern is that we are in an era where feature complete games are being chopped apart and resold to us as DLC packs or Season Passes.  Pay to use cosmetics are an unavoidable evolution of the gaming scene, as an MMO player I surrendered that argument years ago as a unobtrusive way for devs to fund game operations going forward.  My worry is the whole it's already in the game you just need to "unlock" it.

I will give a new NieR project a chance, I just don't want to have to buy it three times over to finish it.

I don't blame gamers for being wary, it's smart to understand the industry and what you personally want to support/don't want to support.  But I do blame them for writing off games in the 'hypothetical' stages based on virtually nothing more than someone saying the word "microtransactions".  And for re-writing history to enable their paranoia/outrage by claiming things like "no game has ever had only cosmetic microtransactions."  And for becoming so utterly flabbergasted at the idea of someone not as paranoid as them, that it MUST be a joke. xD

Give pea- I mean, games, a chance. ;)  (EDIT: Even if that just means hearing it out, and not actually buying it.)

Edited by Dreakon13

Just read an article about Squareenix and their mobile game dimensions 2. 

Doesn't seem like all hope is lost at all for no micro transactions even on mobile games. 

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/01/square-enix-released-final-fantasy-dimensions-ii-free-play-rpg-gone-premium/

Let's just watch and wait 

2 hours ago, MMDE said:

And take Dead Space 3, we saw how the series changed to implement the micro transactions and tempt you to pay for that. From what we've seen of the new SW Battlefront, we can see the changes made. Same with Destiny 2, the new Forza etc. This is not speculative. I'm more inclined to say what you do is pretend you don't see what is happening.

I'm sure if you wanted to, you could name 100 games with microtransactions.

I'm not denying that they're a part of the industry now.  I just believe in the console/non-mobile space most games handle them well, and games will continue to handle them well, and they *typically* find themselves in genre's predisposed to that sort of thing (ie. repetitive open world games where small bonuses can make a difference, repetitive multiplayer games where small bonuses can make a difference, etc).

With a few exceptions (like Dead Space I guess), games aren't really changed to accommodate microtransactions... but rather microtransactions are added to games in which they sort of "make sense" or outside the scope of a games campaign/story mode.  Of course, you can argue that games are being made more repetitive and open world, which is leading to more opportunities for microtransactions to be implemented.  But look at how happy people were with the butchering of The Evil Within's linear pacing in favor of the sequels repetitive open world drivel.  I said it before and I'll say it again, you have only yourselves to blame.

Edited by Dreakon13

It's fine if they relegate the microtransactions to only cosmetic items and not to game affecting content (I'm going to be mad if square enix pulls an EA, or activision esque stunt.). Otherwise, I'm fine, also I don't mind them hiring. 

Edited by wackt1

20 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm sure if you wanted to, you could name 100 games with microtransactions.

I'm not denying that they're a part of the industry now.  I just believe in the console/non-mobile space most games handle them well, and games will continue to handle them well, and they *typically* find themselves in genre's predisposed to that sort of thing (ie. repetitive open world games where small bonuses can make a difference, repetitive multiplayer games where small bonuses can make a difference, etc).

With a few exceptions (like Dead Space I guess), games aren't really changed to accommodate microtransactions... but rather microtransactions are added to games in which they sort of "make sense" or outside the scope of a games campaign/story mode.  Of course, you can argue that games are being made more repetitive and open world, which is leading to more opportunities for microtransactions to be implemented.  But look at how happy people were with the butchering of The Evil Within's linear pacing in favor of the sequels repetitive open world drivel.  I said it before and I'll say it again, you have only yourselves to blame.

I think the reason I mentioned those games flew straight above your head or something. I named those games specifically, because they're both fully paid games, often with expensive special editions and whatnot and more importantly, they are SEQUELS. This was to address that games are changed or designed fundamentally different to accommodate for the inclusion and temptation of micro transactions. This is not paranoia or speculations, and it's pretty damn obvious if you stop to think about it for a second too.

The Evil Within had a rather mixed reception at release. I think the second game reminds them more about the old Resident Evil games and what made them good.

21 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

I wish I kept playing after dead space 2 so I knew what was being talked about. Not sure I wanna know how they implemented micro transactions in that game. 

But so far with destiny 2 (and destiny 1(though I will never forgive them for not transferring at least the emotes from d1 to d2)) I think bungie handled it really really well. You can still get the stuff by leveling, but if you don't, you're really not missing out. There's nothing at Tes Everis that will change the gameplay for d2 for you, unless we're talking cosmetic. 

Which if that's the case the Tales series has been selling costumes seperately for a while now, as well as other games, I either buy it because of nostalgia, or usually just ignore it. And the other Tales stuff you can buy will save you a few hours tops on a 60+ hour game, more if you're going for the platinum. 

I have no experience with forza 

(I've played anthousand hours of destiny 1 and 2(probably more), including all hard mode raids dozens and dozens of times with my clan(which btw prestige leviathan can kiss my :ahem: for crap loot, making it the most useless endgame in all of destiny. At least the raid is fun by itself, especially on normal when you just want to have a good time with friends)) 

So you don't think they changed stuff in the sequel to Destiny to make more money from micro transactions? I'm also not too interested in all the guardians defending that stuff, but do you agree there's at least a sliver of truth to to it?

I think they even had to back peddle a bit with Forza.

Edited by MMDE

12 minutes ago, MMDE said:

This is not paranoia or speculations, and it's pretty damn obvious if you stop to think about it for a second too.

It's not paranoia to name a few egregious examples of micro-transactions gone awry... it's paranoia to think every game is going to be the worst case scenario simply because you can dig up a few examples.  People are acting like dogs who have spent their entire lives being abused and snap at any sign of human contact (or any sign of microtransactions) because they've never known anything else.  Things aren't that bad.  Relax.

Also, I played through the majority of Dead Space 3 coop on PC and didn't even realize it had microtransactions until this thread.  Take that for what it's worth. :shrug:

Edited by Dreakon13

I get Micro transactions on FTP Mobile Games but get annoyed at anyone defending full price console games including them.

Only thing I can think is that people have been indoctrinated by them through their "cosmetic" innocence. The boundaries will and are getting pushed subtly. As far as I'm concerned if you want things in a game, play it and earn it, worked fine through the 80's and 90's and gave a sense of accomplishment.

With the amount of revenue they create though it will keep getting a lot worse.

On saying that hopefully this game will avoid them.

• Like 1