Mein Leben Runs.

48 minutes ago, Spaz said:

As somebody who grew up in the 16 bit era in the early - mid 1990s, I still think some of those games were more difficult than Wolfenstein II.

I also played a few 8 bit games that had no continues, no saves, no extra lives. I played Battletoads on the NES, considered one the hardest games the console ever had. I was stuck on the Turbo Tunnel stage for over an eternity. You are given continues and extra lives sure, but with the game being so difficult I'm willing to bet that less than one percent of players ever got to the end of stage 12 and beat the game. The NES, as great as it was for it's time, had a lot of broken, nearly impossible games that took countless hours to finish. Ninja Gaiden is another example, I don't think any little kid back then was able to beat it.

I suppose Wolfenstein II has been unfair to players who expected another fairly easy platinum. If somebody was able to finish the game in less than two hours and 30 minutes, I say the trophy is completely doable. In all honesty that isn't much more difficult than Dead Space 2 Hardcore, where you could lose two hours or more of progress if you're not careful.

Dead Rising has a trophy that has to be done in one sitting and takes around 12 - 14 hours to do. Outlast 2 has a mode that can send you back to the beginning if you slip up. Where were the complaints then?

I didn't think people were still talking about Call of Duty World at War's spammed grenades on Veteran difficulty.

At the end, play the game to the fullest and enjoy it. If you can't earn the trophy, then I'm sorry. Developers don't care much for trophy hunters, I doubt many of them ever bothered to earn trophies at all.

As I just said to someone, if a player can beat Mein Leben in less than two hours and 30 minutes, the trophy is completely doable. For the average player it may take four to six hours after much practice, those skilled can finish in three hours or less. Completely throws away the idea that Wolfenstein II is over ten hours like many people have claimed it to be.

You're skipping a game because of one trophy? Please. If you're a 100 percent completionist then maybe I can understand why you would. But seriously, one bronze wouldn't make a dent on your profile. You can always come back to the game later after a few weeks or months or however long it takes.

Aye i started out in the 8 bit era with a Sega Master System. The 8/16 bit era was focused on bringing as close as was possible the arcade experience into the home. Tom Kalinske of course got Segas head out of it's arcade focused arse, and created the template for selling successfully home console hardware. Razor and blades strategy first party software with hardware, 3rd party friendly all that good stuff ect. Then Sony took it a step further and arcade and home pretty much by the end of 5th gen diverged from each other.

And that brief bit of history i described is what i think Machinehead is forgetting. I know they want to hark back to the games origins, and they have done a fantastic job of that, But this is the era of cinematic gaming, and not 16 bit where you can go through a game in like 40 minutes on average. Not having a save function on your highest difficulty is the main ludicrous issue that is alienating to the player base. It creates an us and them dynamic. The 1% and 99%. 

And Dead Risings infinity mode, which was stupid, is not a good comparison. All you had to do was get some orange juice, hide in a bathroom and top up your health every so often. A strategy almost anyone can do with virtually no risk of suddenly getting killed having to start over. 

Could you imagine COD WAW with no saves? Would that fall under challenge or bullshit?

Edited by AMadScotsGuy
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, AMadScotsGuy said:

And that brief bit of history i described is what i think Machinehead is forgetting. I know they want to hark back to the games origins, and they have done a fantastic job of that, But this is the era of cinematic gaming, and not 16 bit where you can go through a game in like 40 minutes on average. Not having a save function on your highest difficulty is the main ludicrous issue that is alienating to the player base. It creates an us and them dynamic. The 1% and 99%. 

And Dead Risings infinity mode, which was stupid, is not a good comparison. All you had to do was get some orange juice, hide in a bathroom and top up your health every so often. A strategy almost anyone can do with virtually no risk of suddenly getting killed having to start over. 

Could you imagine COD WAW with no saves? Would that fall under challenge or bullshit?

Wolfenstein 3D wasn't hard at all. I'm aware there was a Wolfenstein game before 3D, but it was 3D that jump started the series.

id Software however put a lot more focus on DOOM and Quake. They were the two big sellers in the PC market. DOOM was one of the very first games where players can fight each other that didn't involve local multiplayer (couch). It wasn't until 2001 that we see another Wolfenstein game, and for the time it was a good entry to move the series forward.

16 bit games were generally easier than 8 bit games. I mentioned Battletoads because that game by and large is extremely difficult. At least in Wolfenstein II you can take your time with it, in Battletoads you need very quick reflexes and a good knowledge of knowing what is coming. Stage 9 is a very good example.

So are you trying to say that Wolfenstein II would have more active players right now if there was no Mein Leben difficulty trophy? Sure seems like it.

Dead Rising required you to play for over 10 hours so as far as time goes and doing it in one sitting it is somewhat a good comparison in my opinion.

World at War was completely random with the grenades. From what I've seen of Wolfenstein II gameplay it doesn't quite have anything that ludicrous in it.

If this trophy bothers you that badly, I strongly suggest watching what GrannyTranny did in his playthrough and try to copy it. People have already said the enemies aren't always going to follow the same patterns so you will have to develop other strategies. Dark has said many times there are a number of areas you can skip, which saves a lot of time and the game has been proven to be beatable in just a few hours.

Wolfenstein II is not trying to be like the 16 bit era, it still has cinematics and good graphics like any other AAA game that requires millions of dollars to make. In comparison a lot of 8 - bit and 16 - bit era games were completely broken, terrible and outdated with horrible controls and lackluster gameplay. One reason why I loved the Angry Video Game Nerd so much, there were a lot of extremely difficult games not because there was a setting, but because the gameplay mechanics were simply broken.

Personally I think Wolfenstein II so far from what I played on my alt is one of the best first person shooters in recent memory. It takes what made The New Order good and makes it even better.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

As somebody who grew up in the 16 bit era in the early - mid 1990s, I still think some of those games were more difficult than Wolfenstein II.

I also played a few 8 bit games that had no continues, no saves, no extra lives. I played Battletoads on the NES, considered one the hardest games the console ever had. I was stuck on the Turbo Tunnel stage for over an eternity. You are given continues and extra lives sure, but with the game being so difficult I'm willing to bet that less than one percent of players ever got to the end of stage 12 and beat the game. The NES, as great as it was for it's time, had a lot of broken, nearly impossible games that took countless hours to finish. Ninja Gaiden is another example, I don't think any little kid back then was able to beat it.

I suppose Wolfenstein II has been unfair to players who expected another fairly easy platinum. If somebody was able to finish the game in less than two hours and 30 minutes, I say the trophy is completely doable. In all honesty that isn't much more difficult than Dead Space 2 Hardcore, where you could lose two hours or more of progress if you're not careful.

Dead Rising has a trophy that has to be done in one sitting and takes around 12 - 14 hours to do. Outlast 2 has a mode that can send you back to the beginning if you slip up. Where were the complaints then?

I didn't think people were still talking about Call of Duty World at War's spammed grenades on Veteran difficulty.

At the end, play the game to the fullest and enjoy it. If you can't earn the trophy, then I'm sorry. Developers don't care much for trophy hunters, I doubt many of them ever bothered to earn trophies at all.

As I just said to someone, if a player can beat Mein Leben in less than two hours and 30 minutes, the trophy is completely doable. For the average player it may take four to six hours after much practice, those skilled can finish in three hours or less. Completely throws away the idea that Wolfenstein II is over ten hours like many people have claimed it to be.

You're skipping a game because of one trophy? Please. If you're a 100 percent completionist then maybe I can understand why you would. But seriously, one bronze wouldn't make a dent on your profile. You can always come back to the game later after a few weeks or months or however long it takes.

This is why i asked earlier as to how much of that time frame was actual enemy encounters. Cut scenes and traversing mean nothing so we're looking at 1-2 hours of "this game is impossible moments" which makes me wonder where this 10 hour nonsense came from (The reason iv been holding off). Definitely going to hit it up now. 

Oh, and im one of those "100 percent completionists" ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dark said:

When doing Mein Leben runs, just remember the despawning of enemies in previous areas when you progress. That way you can look around for stuff.

Aye i'm catching onto the despawns. Also for section F you should state you need to hold x when swimming towards the wall.

On November 7, 2017 at 0:18 AM, Spaz said:

Sorry for being harsh. Was having a bad mood when I wrote the post.

I typically suck at first person shooters so Shadow Warrior would probably be an 8 or a 9 for me. I would go as far as to rate Super Meat Boy a 6 or a 7 in comparison because the game hasn't really been difficult for me.

I played a lot of Mario and Sonic games growing up so platformers I can adapt to pretty quickly. Also played some insanely difficult NES and SNES games where you had to start over from the very beginning, like Wolfenstein II.

Its all good :P I also played a lot of platformers so I was in good shape to plat SMB, as for FPS games I have played a lot extensively so im probably going to have an easier time on. 

I had 300+ hrs on Bf3 at 5kd, bf4 is at 856hrs or 826hrs at 3.20 and bf1 is 150 hrs at a 4.20kd. Its pretty much same for Halo 3 reach and 4 lol.

Good luck with your SMB plat. As for this trophy ill probably wait till this games on sale and knock it out.

12 hours ago, Spaz said:

100% agree to all this. I think this game is very doable for the average person if they just put a bit of time in. 

• Like 2

I'm up to the farm house on death incarnate with the little time I have had this week. GTs strats are solid, that of the highest caliber of gamer. Though pulling off stealth to get up the elevator on Roswell is really tricky. Overcharging with the laser gun is essential aganist the boss after planting the bomb. But even if you pull that off, it's still a matter of luck if you can run past the grunts. My conclusion so far is mine leben is marginally possible for gamers of lesser skill. But hours of pratice will be required to pull off such a feat, given how much of it is luck based in my experience so far.

Edited by AMadScotsGuy

1 hour ago, AMadScotsGuy said:

I'm up to the farm house on death incarnate with the little time I have had this week. GTs strats are solid, that of the highest caliber of gamer. Though pulling off stealth to get up the elevator on Roswell is really tricky. Overcharging with the laser gun is essential aganist the boss after planting the bomb. But even if you pull that off, it's still a matter of luck if you can run past the grunts. My conclusion so far is mine leben is marginally possible for gamers of lesser skill. But hours of pratice will be required to pull off such a feat, given how much of it is luck based in my experience so far.

GT’s strat for the Roswell bunker boss is great, only reason I recommend Fergus’ timeline. I can actually do that part fine, destroy the boss, quickly wipe out the 5 grunts in the way and run to the exit while reaping the boss's armour. It’s a hard strategy but it’s way better than trying to stealth that part since the detection is stupid.

Edit: just got me a Venus run. I died due to messing up a stealth section near the end. Getting there.

Edited by Dark

1 hour ago, Dark said:

GT’s strat for the Roswell bunker boss is great, only reason I recommend Fergus’ timeline. I can actually do that part fine, destroy the boss, quickly wipe out the 5 grunts in the way and run to the exit while reaping the boss's armour. It’s a hard strategy but it’s way better than trying to stealth that part since the detection is stupid.

Edit: just got me a Venus run. I died due to messing up a stealth section near the end. Getting there.

Venus on mine leben?