Mein Leben Runs.

15 minutes ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Out of curiosity, how do each of you approach practice for the Mein Leben run?

So far, on my 2nd IADI run, I've made a save at the beginning of each level, learned/followed an optimal route via video, and then immediately replayed each level at least 3 times to better memorize what I had just learned and iron out any kinks. I'm about to start learning Venus and beyond before attempting actual Mein Leben runs but I feel like I'm gradually developing an overconfidence in myself that will inevitably lead to many unfortunate failures when I finally start. What mistakes did you make most often and which levels did you have to practice the most?

I believe the level I died most often at was the one where you have to reach the obercommando, particularly the section where that giant robot spawns after you have pulled a leaver. Also the panzerhund ride gives me some huge problems, regardless how many times I have practiced it.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 9:52 PM, ExistentialSolid said:

Out of curiosity, how do each of you approach practice for the Mein Leben run?

So far, on my 2nd IADI run, I've made a save at the beginning of each level, learned/followed an optimal route via video, and then immediately replayed each level at least 3 times to better memorize what I had just learned and iron out any kinks. I'm about to start learning Venus and beyond before attempting actual Mein Leben runs but I feel like I'm gradually developing an overconfidence in myself that will inevitably lead to many unfortunate failures when I finally start. What mistakes did you make most often and which levels did you have to practice the most?

I mostly replicated BigBossImBeamer strats, and just wing it throughout my 35 attempts but there are two sections that I intensively practiced before my 1st Mein Leben attempt which were the courtroom, and the two Zerstörer at the top of the Ausmerzer.

Most of the time that I died was at the wheelchair section, and just me being a overconfident dumbfuck in the later levels so yeah be sure to be humble throughout your Mein Leben run(s), there's a couple of times that I died because of skipping gone wrong by falling to my death so if you're glitching/skipping be sure to follow exactly what's in the video and don't wander or you might fall to your death.

Edited by pokwey
Typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Out of curiosity, how do each of you practice for the Mein Leben run?

So far, on my 2nd IADI run, I've made a save at the beginning of each level, learned/followed an optimal route via video, and then immediately replayed each level at least 3 times to better memorize what I had just learned and iron out any kinks. I'm about to start learning Venus and beyond before attempting actual Mein Leben runs but I feel like I'm gradually developing an overconfidence in myself that will inevitably lead to many careless mistakes when I finally start. What mistakes did you make most often, which levels did you have to practice the most, and how did you practice?

In my case I wanted to do the Wyatt timeline but really didn't bother to finish it, anyway the Fergus timeline is much better so I sticked with that and I just started to do the runs, I knew that I'll get better in time so eventually I found faster ways to finish every chapter and later on I learned how to keep my Health and Armor at full most of the times. I have to admit I died more from bugs than everything else really. the Shockhammer really makes this game easier, the most important thing is your loadout, know exactly what to upgrade and if it is not necessary keep it for later.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 10:10 AM, Jasko_SOA said:

I believe the level I died most often at was the one where you have to reach the obercommando, particularly the section where that giant robot spawns after you have pulled a leaver. Also the panzerhund ride gives me some huge problems, regardless how many times I have practiced it.

Yeah, Venus has been rough for me in practice too. So much can go wrong so quickly that you usually can't fall back on a Plan B. I'll definitely need to focus my efforts there. It seems like the panzerhund section causes a lot of players trouble so I'll be sure to practice one of the strategies that opts for a safer on-foot approach before attempting Mein Leben.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:17 AM, pokwey said:

I mostly replicated BigBossImBeamer strats, and just wing it throughout my 35 attempts but there are two sections that I intensively practiced before my 1st Mein Leben attempt which were the courtroom, and the two Zerstörer at the top of the Ausmerzer.

Most of the time that I died was at the wheelchair section, and just me being a overconfident dumbfuck in the later levels so yeah be sure to be humble throughout your Mein Leben run(s), there's a couple of times that I died because of skipping gone wrong by falling to my death so if you're glitching/skipping by sure to follow exactly what's in the video and don't wander or you might fall to your death.

My overconfidence kills me often too. Little things like not taking cover when there's only 1 or 2 enemies left or rushing through a section for no good reason has already cost me dozens of lives in practice. I'm confident in courtroom but I'm definitely going to need to practice the final boss more before committing to Mein Lebin.

20 hours ago, mataningo said:

In my case I wanted to do the Wyatt timeline but really didn't bother to finish it, anyway the Fergus timeline is much better so I sticked with that and I just started to do the runs, I knew that I'll get better in time so eventually I found faster ways to finish every chapter and later on I learned how to keep my Health and Armor at full most of the times. I have to admit I died more from bugs than everything else really. the Shockhammer really makes this game easier, the most important thing is your loadout, know exactly what to upgrade and if it is not necessary keep it for later.

I agree that keeping track of where upgrade kits are is essential to success. I've actually been keeping a note next to me showing which levels have kits in them so I don't forget about them. The rest is just practice, practice, practice I suppose.

Thank you all for the input! After learning each of the levels, it seems like the next logical step for me is to do several more IADI runs to identify areas that could benefit from more practice or a change in strategy. Once I can finish an IADI run with less than 3 deaths, then I'll shift over to Mein Leben. Wish me luck and thanks again!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eqill5 said:

This has to be one of the most friendly and helpful threads I’ve come across. I don’t even have the game but I find myself often returning just to see if anyone else has finished their run, what a feeling of accomplishment it must be, and relief haha! The advice in here is invaluable and it’s great to see so many coming together and sharing tips and strategies to aid others. I plan on getting this myself, eventually, so thanks to everyone that has contributed so far, and good luck to those still going for it ?

Trophy hunters need to help each other, right?:P But I agree with you, I have seen that friendly environment as well in the Super Meat Boy threads, so I guess the harder the game the nicer the people lol.

@ExistentialSolid

Your plan sounds good, definitely keep us updated! I will return to wolfenstein 2 soon as well.

Btw there is a saying in the german language :“Wer sparen will, zahlt viel.“

This basically translates to the following: „Someone trying to save (time/money, ...) pays a lot.“

I guess this is something I have to keep in mind more often as well, since I tend to rush or get impatient during these runs as well?.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Yeah, Venus has been rough for me in practice too. So much can go wrong so quickly that you usually can't fall back on a Plan B. I'll definitely need to focus my efforts there. It seems like the panzerhund section causes a lot of players trouble so I'll be sure to practice one of the strategies that opts for a safer on-foot approach before attempting Mein Leben.

My overconfidence kills me often too. Little things like not taking cover when there's only 1 or 2 enemies left or rushing through a section for no good reason has already cost me dozens of lives in practice. I'm confident in courtroom but I'm definitely going to need to practice the final boss more before committing to Mein Lebin.

I agree that keeping track of where upgrade kits are is essential to success. I've actually been keeping a note next to me showing which levels have kits in them so I don't forget about them. The rest is just practice, practice, practice I suppose.

Thank you all for the input! After learning each of the levels, it seems like the next logical step for me is to do several more IADI runs to identify areas that could benefit from more practice or a change in strategy. Once I can finish an IADI run with less than 3 deaths, then I'll shift over to Mein Leben. Wish me luck and thanks again!

good luck, don't rush it just relax and get to know the game, i'm familiar with the series but this game was a different gem, and just as I told u the most important thing is your load out and just look what ways suits you, you really don't need to kill every enemy and every commander just get to the checkpoints.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Venus is, by far, the hardest level in the game in my personal opinion, and AI on there felt more inconsistent that on the other levels since some of the strategies that worked on IADI didn't work 100% on Mein Leben (I've failed at Venus I 3 times, and at Venus II 2 times and that honestly sucked lol). You can follow BigBossImBeamer's video guide for Mein Leben but his strategy for Venus I was risky for me and one of my fails came from that strategy. However, I can share the strategy that worked for me (for Venus I) on my successful Mein Leben run, maybe that can make things slightly easier for you.

Venus I Strategy (from 1:07 to 5:49):

As for general Mein Leben run, I mixed the strategies from BigBossImBeamer and Flipy Fliperson's videos (used sebby412's video I'm posting here for Venus I strategy and some minor adjustments) which helped me out significantly. Good luck with your Mein Leben adventure.

Edited by XxIsa-GxX
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, XxIsa-GxX said:

Venus is, by far, the hardest level in the game in my personal opinion, and AI on there felt more inconsistent that on the other levels since some of the strategies that worked on IADI didn't work 100% on Mein Leben (I've failed at Venus I 3 times, and at Venus II 2 times and that honestly sucked lol). You can follow BigBossImBeamer's video guide for Mein Leben but his strategy for Venus I was risky for me and one of my fails came from that strategy. However, I can share the strategy that worked for me (for Venus I) on my successful Mein Leben run, maybe that can make things slightly easier for you.

As for general Mein Leben run, I mixed the strategies from BigBossImBeamer and Flipy Fliperson's videos (used sebby412's video I'm posting here for Venus I strategy and some minor adjustments) which helped me out significantly. Good luck with your Mein Leben adventure.

Thanks! This looks like a much safer strategy than what I've been doing (running straight for the exit shortly after killing the 1st commander and hoping the dog doesn't bite me in a bad spot). I'll have to give this a try the next time I practice Venus. I've been mixing strategies up to this point from BigBossImBeamer and Kreeper V with occasional substitutions for the trickier sections when neither worked for me (like Gaming With Abyss's great strategy for the courtroom and Mi2Lethal's final boss tactic) so there's always room to improve. I'll have to start looking into Flipy's work if new troubles pop up.

So far, I think the areas that have been the roughest for me are: the latter half of the Ausmerzer, Venus I, and a few tricky sections in New Orleans and early Manhattan. But luckily, everything feels within reach and there are no sections left that terrify me. It should just be a matter of practice and persistence at this point.

23 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Thanks! This looks like a much safer strategy than what I've been doing (running straight for the exit shortly after killing the 1st commander and hoping the dog doesn't bite me in a bad spot). I'll have to give this a try the next time I practice Venus. I've been mixing strategies up to this point from BigBossImBeamer and Kreeper V with occasional substitutions for the trickier sections when neither worked for me (like Gaming With Abyss's great strategy for the courtroom and Mi2Lethal's final boss tactic) so there's always room to improve. I'll have to start looking into Flipy's work if new troubles pop up.

So far, I think the areas that have been the roughest for me are: the latter half of the Ausmerzer, Venus I, and a few tricky sections in New Orleans and early Manhattan. But luckily, everything feels within reach and there are no sections left that terrify me. It should just be a matter of practice and persistence at this point.

for Venus(Aerostat Habitat) I simply run straight to the room with the suit killing everything in my way with the dual shotguns, worked for me every time. just clear the first area take the upgrade kit and open the door let the supersoldier walk to the right than move forward kill the soldier in front of you than make a run and kill the dog and the soldier close to him, than just run to the suit and keep killing everything in front of you.

Edited by mataningo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mataningo said:

for Venus(Aerostat Habitat) I simply run straight to the room with the suit killing everything in my way with the dual shotguns, worked for me every time. just clear the first area take the upgrade kit and open the door let the supersoldier walk to the right than move forward kill the soldier in front of you than make a run and kill the dog and the soldier close to him, than you should be okay just run to the suit and keep killing everything in front of you.

I wish I read about this earlier ? I cleared this room up until the room with the scientists/robots and I posted behind some cover in front of the entrance so I can clear them too... little did I know my back was to those red explosive tanks and I got rekt ? Thanks for the tip!! I’ll have to practice running through this section. If I can get this far, I know I can finish the rest of the game!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JIVe_____ said:

I wish I read about this earlier 1f62b.png I cleared this room up until the room with the scientists/robots and I posted behind some cover in front of the entrance so I can clear them too... little did I know my back was to those red explosive tanks and I got rekt 1f62d.png Thanks for the tip!! I’ll have to practice running through this section. If I can get this far, I know I can finish the rest of the game!

this area is very heavy guarded and i preferred not to get a big fight there so to avoid that i just run and with the fully upgraded shotguns you just shredding everything to pieces and like I said it really worked for me every time, if you get in trouble or get lost just try to get cover/backtrack, with that strategy if you are fast enough you should be fine and only be worried about the robots and the dog(if you didn't kill him) catching you, they are the only enemies that will run like demons till they catch you.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 11:50 PM, JIVe_____ said:

I wish I read about this earlier 1f62b.png I cleared this room up until the room with the scientists/robots and I posted behind some cover in front of the entrance so I can clear them too... little did I know my back was to those red explosive tanks and I got rekt 1f62d.png Thanks for the tip!! I’ll have to practice running through this section. If I can get this far, I know I can finish the rest of the game!

I literally just died the same way (cleared rooms up to scientists in Venus I and died via explosion near the room entrance after luring them outside); I'm gutted. Next time I'm going to rush through that room after clearing the previous areas like I had in every prior practice run. Strange how new strategies can save you in one moment and then end you with their next breath. This was mostly my fault though as I did not practice XxIsa-GxX's/sebby412's strategy before attempting it in Mein Leben runs. Never take shortcuts when it comes to practice.

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 1

On 2020-06-02 at 3:52 PM, ExistentialSolid said:

Out of curiosity, how do each of you practice for the Mein Leben run?

So far, on my 2nd IADI run, I've made a save at the beginning of each level, learned/followed an optimal route via video, and then immediately replayed each level at least 3 times to better memorize what I had just learned and iron out any kinks. I'm about to start learning Venus and beyond before attempting actual Mein Leben runs but I feel like I'm gradually developing an overconfidence in myself that will inevitably lead to many careless mistakes when I finally start. What mistakes did you make most often, which levels did you have to practice the most, and how did you practice?

I did practice Mein leben by first making saves on the difficulty I’m death incarnate!
Then after I played every level few times to get the hang of it by trying different strategies from videos etc. Some people like to take some risks and I didn’t honestly like it for exemple skipping the 2 final bosses was not my taste especially making it that far.

I played also practice runs like from the courtroom to the end and vice versa to really see where I can die and If I can improve something trust me it will save you some frustrations later on when attempting the real runs!

Here is some explanation for the tricky parts:

Section F: You can actually skip the whole level and also the first one when you can swim under water to save some time. It’s entirely up to you.

Penthouse: You can crawl in a barrel near the stairs and wait for the time to run out. Just have the laser ready cause at the end the heavy will approach you note tho no the enemies. Only few people know this trick. (Maybe hard to understand without a video sorry).

Courtroom: You can actually aswell crawl under a desk and wait to gun down the enemies sure it takes longer but on a Mein leben run i care about surviving rather than the time and obviously after it the game is not too hard.

New Orleans dog ride: I stealth through the first area and halfway before I reach the factory I start running I can tell you that 95% chance you can make it with no problem and a good side once you reach the other side the enemies will despawn. So after you can go back to take the dog and go in the factory with full health!

Venus: I stealth through the entire level and using some shortcuts with the battle walker however one small mistake will send you back at the menu so use strategies at you own risk! That’s why I say practice is important!

Final level: Not too bad the only problem is the fight before the final boss the robo doggie is very annoying indeed cause sometimes he decide to rush me for no reason even if I’m in stealth resulting in me panicking and almost died! 

My failed attempts: Wheel chair I died few times there because I was in a hurry or being careless and that cutscene is not good to watch.

Manhattan building: Few times aswell just because I messed up the stealth.

Courtroom: I died only 2 times here and one of them was because of the dog rushed me and knocked me in the ground.

Obercommando: No too hard generally cause I had a good method getting through it.

New Orleans: 2 times one of them is in a stealth section I got one shotted by the commander without a warning was kinda funny!

Venus: Never died here. Thankfully my stealth methods was working fine!

Final level: Only 1 time in the final boss I was being a bit careless when killing the heavies with the shotgun.

And final tips is that you have to know everything can go different when attempting the real runs it’s not like the enemies will have the same AI so always have a backup strategies if not you will be dead in a matter of seconds. Also you need to calm down if you feel stressed that’s another tips for the practice. Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by NurseTatiana
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, NurseTatiana said:

I did practice Mein leben by first making saves on the difficulty I’m death incarnate!
Then after I played every level few times to get the hang of it by trying different strategies from videos etc. Some people like to take some risks and I didn’t honestly like it for exemple skipping the 2 final bosses was not my taste especially making it that far. [...]

Thanks, there's a lot of great tips in your post! The courtroom strategy and section F skip I've been regularly using in my runs as well and they work wonders (have never lost a run in either level yet). I get rushed by the very same robo doggie all the time near the end of the Ausmerzer so I've just accepted that this section is going to be rough. I may be wrong but it seems like the robot is less likely to rush you if you wait a couple minutes before entering the area to let their "investigate the area" status die down. 

I personally have had far better luck skipping the final boss than actually fighting it. I seem to survive 80-90% of the time when I use a skip (Mi2Lethal's skip feels very consistent) but I only survive about 50% of the time when fighting with normal tactics despite several hours of practice.

6 hours ago, mckbros said:

I'm glad I never started The New Colossus. Just may skip ahead to Youngblood and play Wolfenstien 2 on my alt

Well it will always be there if you're up for a satisfying challenge. I'm awful at most FPS games (I'm the type that plays online maybe once a year and scores in the bottom 3) but you don't really need much skill to succeed in Wolfenstein 2. To survive Mein Leben, you just need the patience to learn and practice each level until you can consistently clear it.

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mckbros said:

I'm glad I never started The New Colossus. Just may skip ahead to Youngblood and play Wolfenstien 2 on my alt

Unless you’re a masochist with a penchant for disappointing games, don’t bother with Youngblood. 

29 minutes ago, JIVe_____ said:

I just finished Mein Leben! And I tried running through this section for practice but I couldn't find a consistent way of rushing through, some times I made it, some times I died from getting shot in the back, and some times the dog caught me. So in my run, I stuck with what I knew, which was to just clear them out carefully. I made sure to explode those red tanks before engaging the scientists/robots. If you could get that far, you could definitely close out Mein Leben! 

well at least you made it and managed to get the plat, congrats.

• Like 1

My tips for Mein Leben:

-Have YouTube readily available, for two reasons:

-To get through those long unskippable cutscenes in the beginning.

-Access to those lovely successful Mein Leben videos from Kreeper V, IXIFalcon, Gaming with Abyss!

-Stealth if you can, but always have a back-up plan if you trigger the alarm. For instance, in Roswell, just after getting off the train, I got onto the lift and got caught activating the switch; the first time that happened I didn't know what to do and I panicked and one ML run ended there, on another run, I got caught there, but I sprinted towards the back corner of the lift and I had to fight my way out, wasn't pretty but I got out of that engagement successfully (only to die at the Courtroom 30 min later ?) 

-Always dual wield in combat situations, as your DPS increases significantly. The Schockhammer is your best friend when fully upgraded and can take down a heavy very quickly!

-Situational awareness. Be wary if there's any explosives near you. I had a run end on Venus because of this. 

-After clearing a room, backtrack if you need to and search every nook and cranny for health/armor/ammo. If you're low on armor, destroy the fuel tank attached to heavies.

-Be wary of level skips via glitches. I had two runs end on the first Ausmezer skip because I got stuck on the crate and I couldn't move at all and the other time, I fell through the level. The only level skip glitch I did in my run was the Section F revisit, as long as you know where to swim, you'll be fine, with the only threat would be getting stuck somewhere and drowning. 

-PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! This goes without saying, but practice different areas of the game and find out what works best for you! If you learn a new strategy, practice it! Also, practice different scenarios, such as going through stealthily and non-stealthily, so if shit hits the fan, you won't panic and you'll know where to go and fight it out. This also goes for level glitches and skips as well. 

-Don't give up! Take breaks if you need too. With enough practice and persistence, you'll be able to conquer Wolfenstein II! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JIVe_____ said:

I just finished Mein Leben! And I tried running through this section for practice but I couldn't find a consistent way of rushing through, some times I made it, some times I died from getting shot in the back, and some times the dog caught me. So in my run, I stuck with what I knew, which was to just clear them out carefully. I made sure to explode those red tanks before engaging the scientists/robots. If you could get that far, you could definitely close out Mein Leben! 

Congrats! This is definitely a platinum to be proud of; hopefully I'll be able to close it out too in the next few days! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JIVe_____ said:

My tips for Mein Leben:

-Have YouTube readily available, for two reasons:

-To get through those long unskippable cutscenes in the beginning.

-Access to those lovely successful Mein Leben videos from Kreeper V, IXIFalcon, Gaming with Abyss!

-Stealth if you can, but always have a back-up plan if you trigger the alarm. For instance, in Roswell, just after getting off the train, I got onto the lift and got caught activating the switch; the first time that happened I didn't know what to do and I panicked and one ML run ended there, on another run, I got caught there, but I sprinted towards the back corner of the lift and I had to fight my way out, wasn't pretty but I got out of that engagement successfully (only to die at the Courtroom 30 min later 1f605.png

-Always dual wield in combat situations, as your DPS increases significantly. The Schockhammer is your best friend when fully upgraded and can take down a heavy very quickly!

-Situational awareness. Be wary if there's any explosives near you. I had a run end on Venus because of this. 

-After clearing a room, backtrack if you need to and search every nook and cranny for health/armor/ammo. If you're low on armor, destroy the fuel tank attached to heavies.

-Be wary of level skips via glitches. I had two runs end on the first Ausmezer skip because I got stuck on the crate and I couldn't move at all and the other time, I fell through the level. The only level skip glitch I did in my run was the Section F revisit, as long as you know where to swim, you'll be fine, with the only threat would be getting stuck somewhere and drowning. 

-PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! This goes without saying, but practice different areas of the game and find out what works best for you! If you learn a new strategy, practice it! Also, practice different scenarios, such as going through stealthily and non-stealthily, so if shit hits the fan, you won't panic and you'll know where to go and fight it out. This also goes for level glitches and skips as well. 

-Don't give up! Take breaks if you need too. With enough practice and persistence, you'll be able to conquer Wolfenstein II! 

Congratulations bro! I am very happy for you on the one side, but on the other side: Why do you always have to keep the pressure so high???

Jk, great job man. I will practice again in ~ 2 weeks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jasko_SOA said:

Congratulations bro! I am very happy for you on the one side, but on the other side: Why do you always have to keep the pressure so high?1f644.png1f602.png

Jk, great job man. I will practice again in ~ 2 weeks.

Thanks bro! You know me man.. maximum effort!! Lmao if you need any help/advice let me know. If you can do SMB, you can do Mein Leben! 

• Like 2