Mein Leben Runs.

I've done a full IADI playthrough (mostly following BreadBorne's guide), made the saves that HusKy recommended and started practicing the earlier levels of the game. Thoughts so far:

Evas Hammer- The second hardest level I've practiced so far. I follow BreadBorne's strategy all the way through, except after riding the gear-thing up where after shooting the first Nazi, I rush ahead to shoot the next two that spawn at a better angle. This part is the hardest part of the level imo. I've done the whole level 3 times in a row deathless. 

Ausmerzer- Apparently there's a skip for this level but I've not found any video of it. The videos linked earlier in this thread must've been deleted or something. It doesn't matter because this level is quite easy anyway. Also done it 3 times in a row deathless.

Sektion F- Short and easy level. Almost all of it is stealth, and there's not many enemies to worry about. Also done 3 times in a row deathless.

Manhattan- Reading the thread, I've seen other people struggle with this but I've found it very easy when following BreadBorne's strategy. Messing up the various stealth sections doesn't seem to be punishing, if the alarm goes off unintentionally then running past everyone works a lot of the time. I've played this level 5 times on IADI and have had a total of 1 death, where I messed up a jump just before you enter the subway.

Sektion F 2- I use the skip, which means this entire level is done in a few minutes without any combat at all. If I die here in an actual run I'll be very disappointed with myself.

Roswell- Easily the hardest level so far. The level is so much more unpredictable than everything before it, and setting off the alarm accidentally means certain death 90% of the time. BreadBorne's strategy seems to be pretty good but I might need to try other ones. I deviate from his strategy slightly in the Oberkommando room after placing the warhead though. I use a fully charged Laserkraftwerk shot on the Zitadelle followed by an uncharged shot. This kills it 90% of the time. I then run back up to where the first commander was.

Now this is where I have my own strategy, so long as the Zitadelle was killed. BreadBorne camps up top for a long time, absolutely ensuring everyone is dead before trying to run down and open the door. I kill the 4 Nazis that rush you pretty much instantly, and then snipe 3 more that are in specific spots with the Sturmgewehrs. After that I grab the 100HP pack and rush to the door and open it. All the times I have done this (admittedly not many so far), I haven't even been shot once while opening the door, so long as I successfully kill the 3 Nazis.

If you camp like BreadBorne, some reinforcements will spawn and you have to kill them as well. I think my strategy works because I run to the door after killing the last Nazi, but before the reinforcements arrive. I'll have to test this more, but it definitely seems consistent so far.

Edited by disaster500
grammar
  • Like 2

I have now practiced every level on IADI at least a bit, will definitely replay a few levels more before starting proper ML attempts though.

Thoughts on the other levels:

Mesquite- It's very short but the 5 robots can delete your health very quickly if you don't kill them instantly. Because it's so short, the level is barely a problem.

Courthouse- Very difficult level. I tried using BreadBorne's strategy but it felt like the enemies would not come over to me no matter how long I camped under the table. I instead camp near the infinite Maschinenpistole ammo crate which is difficult but doable. Might be worth looking into other strategies though. After the gates open it's not too bad. Definitely need more practice though.

Manhattan 2- Pretty simple level using BreadBorne's strategy. The only somewhat annoying part is the part after you kill the 2 Panzerhunds, before getting the dossier.

New Orleans (Day)- Another easy level. There's a lot of encounters you can ignore, and most of the time setting the alarm off early isn't punishing. I've played this 4 times on IADI and only died once.

New Orleans (Night)- Difficult level, split into two halves. The first half isn't too bad. BreadBorne's strategy for the Panzerhund ride is pretty good. I ignore his strategy in the next area though. He recommends killing everyone before moving on as they don't despawn and the area afterwards has a commander. I ignore that and completely skip killing all the enemies, because I found out that setting off the alarm in the area afterwards isn't a problem, you can just sprint to the hole in the ground and drop down.

I'm really bad at the second half, after you get out of the sewer. BreadBorne recommends camping in the building with the weapon upgrade kit until everything is dead before moving on. So far I've found success with killing the first few Nazis that show up (I think there's 3 of them) and just sprinting to the Lakeview building. I'm not sure how consistent this is, as sometimes you take a lot of damage while running down the street. For some reason I keep on dying in my practice in the Lakeview building. Another level I need to play more

Venus- Another difficult level. The very first section before you get the spacesuit is very easy to mess up, it feels like you get detected instantly by most of the enemies. BreadBorne's strategy wasn't working for me, plus he skips an upgrade kit which I didn't want to do. A lot of people have used Kreeper V's run, so I tried his strategy and that didn't work either. I ended up using the strategy that Norris Gaming uses in his video guide of Venus. It's better but still difficult.

The rest of the level isn't too bad, but I'm still not fully consistent at it. I don't get why so people hate the conveyor belt section though, I haven't had a problem with it in practice so far. Overall another level which I definitely need to put more time into.

Ausmerzer 2- It's consistently pretty challenging but not as hard as Courthouse, Venus or New Orleans (Night). My opinion might change after playing those levels more. BreadBorne's strategy works very well the entire level.

I've played the final fight a lot, and I have it down pretty much every time now. It's the classic strategy of killing the Supersoldatens with dual rotor Schockhammers, and rushing inside the entrance and stunning the Zerstorer with an EM grenade and climbing the ladder. I've also added an extra grenade throw after getting in the vent, to stun the Zerstorer for longer which increases the likelihood it's safe to instantly run up to the top instead of having to kill everything carefully.

Engel actually killed me once the first time I played it on IADI, she kills you surprisingly fast. Getting up to 130HP from the health packs and crouching at the platform before sprinting to her ensures you'll never die to her though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, disaster500 said:

I can't believe I am writing this, but I did it on my 2nd attempt.

First attempt ended at the beginning of Manhattan because I messed up a stealth kill and the alarm went off too early.

Second attempt went all the way. Every section I struggle on normally I did almost perfectly. On the final fight however, I messed up slightly and ended up with like 30HP and no armour as I was going through the vent after the ladder. The Zerstorers were inside so I ran for my life up to the end, and I made it.

I can't believe how lucky I got. I'm just speechless.

Video link to final fight, incase anyone wants to see me almost die:

https://youtu.be/eI2DRH1ByS8

Congrats, very well done. Do you have a video of your whole run?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing this for over a month now, nearly there, just keep dying dumb deaths. This mostly due to having a heavy cold since Monday. Still I'm getting to New Orleans in this state.

Some of you might wonder how the hell I can do the second part of courthouse in this state. 

Well I go for the door on the right, over the judges stand, collect the assault rifle ammo on the way, then out the door, grab any ammo quickly at the checkpoint. The main priority though is getting the 100 armour, and health for overcharge. Then I run up to checkpoint above and have enough time to get into a lean (crouch as well) with assault rifle to deal with the dog and robot from a safe distance.

The enemies are less likely to rush you on this side, or even get an accurate shot. The only problem is getting the super soldiers to engage.

I've never failed Courthouse using this strat for part 2 (if you discount dumb deaths).

• Like 1

Morning. So first thing I want to throw out there.

Machine Games are a bunch of hypocrites.

zeIKH4P.jpeg

They've probably broken every single one of them, but what I'd like to focus on though is the ownership and accountability vaule. 

As many of us have suspect in the trophy/achievement world for years, the Mein Leben trophy/achievement was deliberately created because of trophy/achievement community being blamed by Machine Games for discovering the difficulty exploit in the first game.

Basically, rather than taking personal responsibility for their own failings as devs. At least one person decided to punish the trophy/achievement hunting niche of the playerbase instead.

While it's over 5 years since the game came out, I don't think it's to late for a petition and put pressure on Zenimax who Machine Games hide behind should be out of the question. To finally get Machine Games to identify and fire the person/persons responsible for it, and a sincere apology.

We are more than capable of obtaining some kind of retroactive justice if we get organised and are loud enough to give them a PR problem.

Now onto how my Mein Leben running.

Progress is getting better again as I'm shacking this cold. I got to the Panzerhund level, but was to off to fully execute my strat. Typically I can just go all in there and make it through to the factory for the despawn. How I achieve this is first getting between the two cars before I start blasting, moving right analogue stick to max the spread of fire, and stop the enemies getting a lock on me. I can then quickly move down the street past the transport vehicle thing that drives in, using the pillar thing to cover. Then can move out from there dealing with the supers. Typically using this strat I end up at the despawn with 500 health, but really just surviving is enough. Track back for armour.

The factory I can clear all the way to the bottom, and usually have full by the end. This just involves the simple strat of patience, spawning enemies in, and arcing fire round the corners.

I have been in the situation where the Panzerhund had blown up in the alley just before the despawn, and yes I have managed to clear the entire factory on foot. It was pretty slow, but it can be done.

Edited by TheBusToYoker

When the game isn't being inconsistent, it is enjoyable because of the gameplay.

Actually think about it. You are hiding under a plank of wood with a turret in Courthouse. Yet you want to maintain this is normal? That these levels are well designed and can be played and, succeeded at with conventional gameplay strats on the highest difficulty? They can't, period. If a game is based on luck, not skill, it's not true difficulty. It's bullshit. Mein Leben is bullshit, and I think people have as much right to know about that as much as being motivated should they chose to do it.

Which is why when I'm done with this I'll be writing out in great detail about every level and every inconsistency they can throw at you. 

Fair enough if the petition idea is a non starter. I'll not defend that hill.

Anyway I'm broadcasting a run I'm just starting from my PS4 if anyone wants to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/live/eLweGqaiaCo?feature=share

Just my 2 pence: I wouldn't go as far as to say that the trophy was created to "punish" players but from everything I've heard about Mein Leben I do think it comes across as a bit try-hard and proof that its designer has a huge ego, not to mention a blatant disrespect for the player's time and mental health. It would be one thing if you could quit the game and alleviate the stress by playing other games in between, but having to do it without ever quitting the app would be torturous. I get that the devs don't want us save scumming but given that the difficulty is supposed to be more brutal than its predecessors it would be a challenge even with periodical cloud uploads.   And what if it crashes on the final level?  If the No Loose Ends trophy glitch from Mafia 3 taught me anything it's how disheartening that can be. 

Ultimately, we play games for fun and if folks are uninstalling your game with a sigh of relief that it's over then perhaps you, as the developer, need to do some reevaluating.

(Also, the fact that the trophy is bronze is almost like the devs admitting how worthless it is too)

25 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

And what if it crashes on the final level?  If the No Loose Ends trophy glitch from Mafia 3 taught me anything it's how disheartening that can be. 

TFW people die to Engel on the epilogue.

1 hour ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Just my 2 pence: I wouldn't go as far as to say that the trophy was created to "punish" players but from everything I've heard about Mein Leben I do think it comes across as a bit try-hard and proof that its designer has a huge ego, not to mention a blatant disrespect for the player's time and mental health. It would be one thing if you could quit the game and alleviate the stress by playing other games in between, but having to do it without ever quitting the app would be torturous. I get that the devs don't want us save scumming but given that the difficulty is supposed to be more brutal than its predecessors it would be a challenge even with periodical cloud uploads.   And what if it crashes on the final level?  If the No Loose Ends trophy glitch from Mafia 3 taught me anything it's how disheartening that can be. 

Ultimately, we play games for fun and if folks are uninstalling your game with a sigh of relief that it's over then perhaps you, as the developer, need to do some reevaluating.

(Also, the fact that the trophy is bronze is almost like the devs admitting how worthless it is too)

That the 80/90s are over. Stop thinking a games worth is based on if it's "arcade hard". The limitations that made those games, the business model, all gone.

Actually innovate, use your brains, critical thinking skills. Stop bringing your pets to the office, and do your damn jobs!

OKkdNDh.jpeg

And now I'm up to Courthouse. So, for those unfamiliar with it.

An apt description for Courthouse is like an album by a rock band that has been made while high on cocaine. They think it sounds great, but it's actually terrible.

As I said previously about "arcade hard" this is one of the worst offenders of sheer ego in level design. It completely breaks whatever minimal conventions Wolf 2 has.

The AI is designed to obtain a position, lock, and fire. The first problem is Courthouse offers almost no cover positions to resolve the scenario, and secondly just too many enemies to manage anyway. As if that wasn't enough for them, they decide after the first part to send a dog and one of the fast robots after you. 

Not only that, the whole level is actually a dream sequence. Yes you can die in a dream, and there is no way to skip it.

You are literally suffering because of bunch of devs, their ego, and this their magnum opus of artificial difficulty born out of their ego.

Fortunately the AI is incredibly dumb if they don't have a position on you, and can easily lose sight of you all together. This is where the turret strat comes into play, as you can take up a near blind spot with the turret. The second part I do differently which I think guarantees more success.

I'm tired, and evidently in a rotten mood. But, if I don't screw up, you'll hopefully learn something from it.

2 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

The vast majority of the game isn't making people uninstall with relief though. It's just one single trophy that is completely optional and affects absolutely nothing in-game. 99% of the game isn't Mein Leben.

The people who hate ML that much that they believe the devs are purposely punishing the players shouldn't be playing it, they should be playing something they enjoy more, instead of asking for devs to be "exposed" and fired. They've enjoyed 99% of the game, why isn't that enough?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, disaster500 said:

The vast majority of the game isn't making people uninstall with relief though. It's just one single trophy that is completely optional and affects absolutely nothing in-game. 99% of the game isn't Mein Leben.

The people who hate ML that much that they believe the devs are purposely punishing the players shouldn't be playing it, they should be playing something they enjoy more, instead of asking for devs to be "exposed" and fired. They've enjoyed 99% of the game, why isn't that enough?

Because getting a platinum trophy for a game you enjoy is part of the fun, it strengthens your bond with the game and so the final trophy can sour you on the experience, especially trophies that expose the flaws within a game that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise. btw my "uninstall the game with relief" comment was referring to those who actually have the trophy given the many complaints I've seen about it!

Like I say, I don't think the purpose is to "punish" the player but I find it hard to believe that the goal of ML is to provide the player with a sense of accomplishment either given how unreasonable the conditions for it are. It just feels like a dev trying to show how badass-hard their game is. You can challenge a player without having to rip their hearts out to do it... For example, Becomes the Master from Titanfall 2 takes half a minute to complete but hours to master depending on skill level. Whereas the difficulty in ML seems artificial  due to its length and the fact that you can't quit the app. So when you factor that in then of course most players aren't going to attempt the trophy - who has the time for that?

30 minutes ago, disaster500 said:

Unfortunately for the devs they are playing it. And I don't really appreciate patronising, condescending advice to stick with games that have a difficulty rating (according to guides) of 3/4 as a response to any genuine criticism about the game.

The position I'm in is one of having bought the game around the time of launch, and it's been sitting there unresolved since. I take full ownership of I've put myself in this position, but I'm not about to let anyone else do so without fully knowing what an awful experience it can be.

You can call it negativity if you want, I call it reality. And the reality is Mein Leben is bloody horrible. Not hard, horrible.

And I've just been eaten by the dog on the last bit of New Orleans. Typically a fairly easy bit to resolve, but nope. 

Basically a bunch of guys with shotguns, machine pistols and a dog will spawn once you are 3 quarters up the last flight of stairs. It's a death trap camp. I'm surprised they didn't just program a grenade spam as well, COD W@W style for that bit. 

So what they want to happen in this scenario is the dog leaps at you first, and if you resolve that you are phased enough the AI locks and guns you down with their close range weapons. They want the player to eat a death. All well and good dying.....if you aren't playing on a perma death mode!

Oh well. Tomorrow is another Mein Leben....

jeez, it looks like it is doing a number on you. If it's inciting this much of an emotional response its probably not worth it.

If you choose to continue. My advice:

- max 2 hours per day on ML. You will get tired and sloppy if you play longer (that was my limit). As you are aware, if you are sloppy you die. I did it over 3 days putting PS4 in rest mode.

- if you are tired, agitated, angry you make mistakes. If you are not calm. especially for the final part you will die.

Breathing Tips to Help calm down:

- close your eyes

- breath in for 4 seconds, hold for 4, breath out

- repeat 10 times.

- think about the breathing only.

Take performance enhancing drugs:

- beta blockers: Eliminate all stress and anxiety. Not sure if you can get over the counter but tell your doctor you are attempting Mein Leben and they should prescribe.

- CBD oil: Not sure if legal where you are from but a healthier, natural alternative to beta blockers.

Play all of Form Software's games (Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Bloodbourne, Sekiro, Elden Ring):

- they are all amazing

- they will toughen you up mentally as you will need to endure much mental punishment to platinum them.

Edited by Rando-Calrisian-

17 minutes ago, TheBusToYoker said:

Unfortunately for the devs they are playing it. And I don't really appreciate patronising, condescending advice to stick with games that have a difficulty rating (according to guides) of 3/4 as a response to any genuine criticism about the game.

The position I'm in is one of having bought the game around the time of launch, and it's been sitting there unresolved since. I take full ownership of I've put myself in this position, but I'm not about to let anyone else do so without fully knowing what an awful experience it can be.

You can call it negativity if you want, I call it reality. And the reality is Mein Leben is bloody horrible. Not hard, horrible.

You have made a few points of genuine criticism, but most of what you're saying isn't that. I haven't tried to refute any of your actual criticisms (for example the lack of cover in Courthouse), because that's your opinion and you're entitled to have one.

What I have a problem with is the other stuff you've been saying. For example you said they added in ML as a trophy to punish trophy hunters. I've seen that point said a few times by various people across this thread, I still haven't seen any proof. You've asked for the devs to be exposed/fired, you've asked for them to have a PR problem, you've asked for "retroactive justice" as if they've committed a crime or something. You've said nobody can beat Mein Leben playing conventionally, it's not skill-based, called it about 10 different variations of unfair.

This is an actual quote by you:

"You are literally suffering because of bunch of devs, their ego, and this their magnum opus of artificial difficulty born out of their ego."

Do you not think this is ridiculous? You've mentioned this ego thing a few times as if the devs are Disney villains doing evil laughs while watching people die in their video game.

You've said that you're in a bad mood and tired, and that probably explains a lot of the stuff you said. If you are committing to finishing ML, you should try taking a few days break, as you're clearly not in the right mindset atm. I saw you got to the end of New Orleans, so you can definitely do it. Good luck.

8 hours ago, disaster500 said:

You have made a few points of genuine criticism, but most of what you're saying isn't that. I haven't tried to refute any of your actual criticisms (for example the lack of cover in Courthouse), because that's your opinion and you're entitled to have one.

What I have a problem with is the other stuff you've been saying. For example you said they added in ML as a trophy to punish trophy hunters. I've seen that point said a few times by various people across this thread, I still haven't seen any proof. You've asked for the devs to be exposed/fired, you've asked for them to have a PR problem, you've asked for "retroactive justice" as if they've committed a crime or something. You've said nobody can beat Mein Leben playing conventionally, it's not skill-based, called it about 10 different variations of unfair.

This is an actual quote by you:

"You are literally suffering because of bunch of devs, their ego, and this their magnum opus of artificial difficulty born out of their ego."

Do you not think this is ridiculous? You've mentioned this ego thing a few times as if the devs are Disney villains doing evil laughs while watching people die in their video game.

You've said that you're in a bad mood and tired, and that probably explains a lot of the stuff you said. If you are committing to finishing ML, you should try taking a few days break, as you're clearly not in the right mindset atm. I saw you got to the end of New Orleans, so you can definitely do it. Good luck.

The intention in level design is not inflicting Disney level villainy on the player. They just want the personal satisfaction of the player believing what they've created is difficult. That goes for "difficultly levels" of the game".

The issue is how they've achieved that, and thus completely failed at achieving it, because they fundamentally don't have a clue what true difficulty is, or legitimate challenge.

This isn't something that's just exclusive to Machine Games, but a lot of studios, especially in the FPS genre. They just don't put the effort into innovating because no one in their team can be bothered with actually thinking.

The focus seems to be entirely on just having enough professionalism to make a product for their publisher, and hoping the better aspects of the game cover its massive flaws.

Anyway, from the footage I got last night. At the 2:58:45 mark, this is the method I use for part 2 of Courthouse. Anyone doing Mein Leben will have way more success with Courthouse doing it this way. Be good if someone with better video capturing capabilities makes their own video about it. Call it the alt door method perhaps.