How difficult is Nex Machina?

AJ_Radio

It's unfortunate to hear that Housemarque is moving away from the shooter style games because Nex Machina and Matterfall didn't fare too well with the masses. Resogun was a great game to play and I'll probably come back to it in the coming weeks to finish up some DLC trophies I attempted many months earlier, but never got around to obtaining them. I plan to play Super Stardust for the PS3 and PS4 at some point, though probably not until well into 2018.

So in the coming year I already have plans to get a few games. One of them is Nex Machina. I hear a lot of people say this is more difficult than Super Stardust HD and Resogun, but others have said it's not too bad. The platinum is an ultra rare, which would be nice to have however.

• Like 1

I found it more difficult than Stardust, Resogun and Alienation. I haven't played Dead Nation nor Matterfall yet. It may be quite challenging but as for all arcade games you need to recognise good strategies and improve upon them. I didn't get the platinum but if I wanted to get it at the time it probably wouldn't have taken more than a few days, even with how difficult it is. If you really want to get this platinum, you may get frustrated along the way but in the end you'll be alright. It all really depends on the amount of persistence you have.

Edited by olimoo101

2 hours ago, olimoo101 said:

I found it more difficult than Stardust, Resogun and Alienation. I haven't played Dead Nation nor Matterfall yet. It may be quite challenging but as for all arcade games you need to recognise good strategies and improve upon them. I didn't get the platinum but if I wanted to get it at the time it probably wouldn't have taken more than a few days, even with how difficult it is. If you really want to get this platinum, you may get frustrated along the way but in the end you'll be alright. It all really depends on the amount of persistence you have.

Well to be fair I find some of the Resogun DLC very difficult to solo (Commando, reaching rank 50, beating all stages in the base game in local co-op) so I'm wondering if Nex Machina has something similar to that in difficulty.

I got the platinum a couple days after launch and back then I would say it was at least a 6/10 difficultly. Played a couple weeks back and finished arcade mode on veteran which is the hardest trophy and I gotta say it was harder than before since they patched and changed a lot, would say it’s an 8/10 difficulty now.

• 2 weeks later...

I was completely new to this genre and i was able to Complete it in around 2 1/2 Days. The Game is awesome and getting the Platinum was a lot of Fun. 

You can always Watch Replays from other Players in the leaderboard, if you struggle. The levels are easy to learn and After a while you should be Good.

Luckily you dont Need to beat the highest difficulty for the Platin.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I really enjoyed it, but definitely struggled with the final boss on the highest difficulty (or whatever the highest trophy-required difficulty is.)

not insurmountable with practice, but definitely no cake-walk.

Game is good fun all round though, and you feel like you are constantly getting better the whole time  

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I really enjoyed it, but definitely struggled with the final boss on the highest difficulty (or whatever the highest trophy-required difficulty is.)

not insurmountable with practice, but definitely no cake-walk.

Game is good fun all round though, and you feel like you are constantly getting better the whole time  

Pretty easy but last boss easy.  Sec from last is pain 

• 3 years later...

I recently beat veteran and master mode, at first it seemed impossible, and i deleted the game due to that 5th boss, if you lose all your upgrades this one is brutal. And the day after i re-downloaded it again and just kept at it. And now its much easier as you know what to do. The last boss on veteran i beat at first try after i beat 5th boss in arcade run.

Edited by Megaman80

• 4 weeks later...

Four years after I made this topic, I finally get around to Veteran difficulty in this game.

I can safely say that this is around a 8 out of 10 in difficulty. Far harder than Resogun (not counting a couple DLC trophies), Dead Nation and Super Stardust HD. Harder than Mega Man 11's Dr Light Trial. Perhaps the hardest game Housemarque has come out as far as the base game trophy list is concerned, but I haven't played Matterfall, Alienation or Super Stardust Ultra.

Veteran is a bitch, I'm not going to lie. Starting with the fourth world onward this game gets pretty hectic and difficult. It's basically mandatory to practice the final three worlds in Single World mode, otherwise you're just going to gobble up all your continues. And it's practically a sin to use a continue anyway, because you're not going to be faring well against either The Architect or Supreme Al.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

Veteran is a bitch, I'm not going to lie. Starting with the fourth world onward this game gets pretty hectic and difficult. It's basically mandatory to practice the final three worlds in Single World mode, otherwise you're just going to gobble up all your continues. And it's practically a sin to use a continue anyway, because you're not going to be faring well against either The Architect or Supreme Al.

Yeah absolutely. You should beat each world at least once from scratch. The reason being that if you finish any Boss with less than 3 lives, it is a good idea to kill yourself at the beginning of the next World using a continue. That way, you have the chance to collect enough extra lives to reach the next Boss with full lives. If you have practiced the individual worlds from scratch, you'll feel confident in applying this tactic. 

What weapon are you using against the Architect? 

3 hours ago, willmill97 said:

This game does look great, I'm up for the challenge if it's worth it in the end?

It is a fantastic game that starts already at a high pace and only goes higher from there. It might look hectic, but you'll get used to it in no time and have a blast :) Definitely worth it! 

Edited by Arcesius

14 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Yeah absolutely. You should beat each world at least once from scratch. The reason being that if you finish any Boss with less than 3 lives, it is a good idea to kill yourself at the beginning of the next World using a continue. That way, you have the chance to collect enough extra lives to reach the next Boss with full lives. If you have practiced the individual worlds from scratch, you'll feel confident in applying this tactic.

You can use continues? I always though the trophy was for a 1cc.

1 minute ago, Danny_Johansen said:

You can use continues? I always though the trophy was for a 1cc.

There is a 1CC trophy but AJ already got that one on Experienced. If you want to do everything in one run, then yeah, you need to do a 1CC Veteran run ? The trophy for completing a run on Veteran does unlock even if you use continues (you have 10 available). 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, willmill97 said:

This game does look great, I'm up for the challenge if it's worth it in the end?

I promise you it is. The game may seem brutal at first, but after some single world practice its very doable. And when i got it i had a friend visiting me and i just wanted to show him ha was filming me while completing veteran run hehe.

11 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

There is a 1CC trophy but AJ already got that one on Experienced. If you want to do everything in one run, then yeah, you need to do a 1CC Veteran run 1f605.png The trophy for completing a run on Veteran does unlock even if you use continues (you have 10 available). 

It turns out that I am blind because I did veteran 1cc and thought it was required. Although beating the worlds without any equipment after a continue probably isn't much easier than the 1cc. I remember having a rough time on the early part of a world without them.

• Like 1

This game is by far my favorite housemarque and I've platinumed all the ps4 titles.  Still working with the RNG on returnal.   When you hit your rhythm with this game, there is nothing like it.  It was a peak for twin stick shooters and if they released a stack for ps5 I would buy it day one to platinum all over again.   I would say it's the hardest of the housemarque collection.  It's a shame it didn't sell very well.  Matterfall was the only one I didn't care for and was happy to delete after platting it

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

There is a 1CC trophy but AJ already got that one on Experienced. If you want to do everything in one run, then yeah, you need to do a 1CC Veteran run 1f605.png The trophy for completing a run on Veteran does unlock even if you use continues (you have 10 available). 

Yeah, but the way the game drains your power when you die makes the continues very hard to use. 

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

What weapon are you using against the Architect? 

The Smartbomb. Second phase is the hardest in my opinion followed by the third phase. 

You can die on the third phase and still manage as long as you don’t use a continue. I got to within a sliver of health left on the Architect until I was forced to use a continue.