Was the Final Fantasy Collection for PS4 just a rumor?

Leaderboards

It looks very much like it was nonsense at this point, the anniversary came and went. It would of course be much better business sense to just release things one at a time rather than a big bundle, which is was what I suspect they are doing. If it's on steam and it's a Final Fantasy game it'll probably make it to PSN at some point. (Here's hoping for FF8!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sargon said:

Are those games available on Steam? If so, porting them to any other system would be done in no time.

All main FF games (note: not necessarily the original versions) from III to XIV and Type-0 (with the exception of XII, which would probably happen next year... maybe after XV Windows Edition) are available on Steam. They ported only VII and IX to PS4 for now.

I still wonder why they never ported I and II to PC.

Edited by Lance_87

On 11/3/2017 at 2:46 PM, Zach said:

I'd like the 13 trilogy to come to the PS4.

I'd like the 13 trilogy to come to my landfill.

It's too bad, but yeah, like this guy said:

On 11/3/2017 at 6:46 PM, Death_Ninja said:

Always sounded too good to be true anyways.

Square has never been very good about this sort of thing (which is ironic, given that their company success seems to hinge on remasters these days).

On 11/3/2017 at 2:54 PM, SkyMason said:

It looks very much like it was nonsense at this point, the anniversary came and went. It would of course be much better business sense to just release things one at a time rather than a big bundle, which is was what I suspect they are doing. If it's on steam and it's a Final Fantasy game it'll probably make it to PSN at some point. (Here's hoping for FF8!)

Why? I think their success with individual ports on PS4 has been somewhat minimal (which would explain why they've been so slow in porting remaining games). Yeah - I know FFVII sold OK, but FFXII is rotting on shelves, and FFIX didn't exactly light up sales charts.

I actually think Square could draw in a lot of business by issuing a box set of these games. Sometimes the sum is greater than the parts...

Edited by starcrunch061

On 11/3/2017 at 7:46 PM, Zach said:

I'd like the 13 trilogy to come to the PS4.

That would be great if it did, i never managed the treasure hunter trophy in the PS3 version as i lost track of what i had to do, but i'd definitely have a checklist for the PS4 version if it ever happened. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Why? I think their success with individual ports on PS4 has been somewhat minimal (which would explain why they've been so slow in porting remaining games). Yeah - I know FFVII sold OK, but FFXII is rotting on shelves, and FFIX didn't exactly light up sales charts.

I actually think Square could draw in a lot of business by issuing a box set of these games. Sometimes the sum is greater than the parts...

FFVII sold brilliantly for what it was, the only 'huge' game still in the mainstream consciousness was FF7, as well as maybe FFX, the other games either have mixed reception (FF8), not enough hype (FF9), or are just too old to bother making too much effort over (1-6). What they've done so far has made perfect business sense, from the perspective of a company playing it safe. FF12 has never been top of many fan's list nor is it one of the most notable entries in the series, FFX had already been released on PS3 and Vita so it was a case of diminishing returns, and FF7 sold very well as expected.

I don't know how well FF9 has sold, but I don't see the rest of the series (1-6 & 8) setting the world on the fire if they are put out. If individual releases of their most 'popular' games are selling below expectations, it gives them much less of an incentive to create a big collection. I think they saw the hype was for FF7, and not much else.

I would love a big collection, but Square Enix is too risk averse to make it happen realistically, which sucks ass, because FF8 was my favourite!

20 hours ago, SkyMason said:

I don't know how well FF9 has sold, but I don't see the rest of the series (1-6 & 8) setting the world on the fire if they are put out. If individual releases of their most 'popular' games are selling below expectations, it gives them much less of an incentive to create a big collection. I think they saw the hype was for FF7, and not much else.

I would love a big collection, but Square Enix is too risk averse to make it happen realistically, which sucks ass, because FF8 was my favourite!

Bite your tongue!

See, I see the opposite. Let's say that I have a beautiful gem that is coveted by all, and two pieces of crap (not to say that FF games are crap, by any stretch, but work with me). I know people will buy the gem for X dollars, but there's no way that they'll pay even a dollar for the pieces of crap. However, it might be possible to bundle the gem and the pieces of crap, and sell the result for X+epsilon dollars. Thus, I get more than what I would have for the gem and the two turds sold individually. 

I mean, this is the essence of bundling, and it's worked to nontrivial effect (if lousy consumer ratings) for cable companies and the like, who bundle their internet with their completely useless cable service or phone service.

Of course, I've spoken out against such bundling in the past, but...I really want to see the other FF games, so I'm compromising my values here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Bite your tongue!

See, I see the opposite. Let's say that I have a beautiful gem that is coveted by all, and two pieces of crap (not to say that FF games are crap, by any stretch, but work with me). I know people will buy the gem for X dollars, but there's no way that they'll pay even a dollar for the pieces of crap. However, it might be possible to bundle the gem and the pieces of crap, and sell the result for X+epsilon dollars. Thus, I get more than what I would have for the gem and the two turds sold individually. 

I mean, this is the essence of bundling, and it's worked to nontrivial effect (if lousy consumer ratings) for cable companies and the like, who bundle their internet with their completely useless cable service or phone service.

Of course, I've spoken out against such bundling in the past, but...I really want to see the other FF games, so I'm compromising my values here. 

There's nothing to say they aren't just doing this to eventually release a collection. Which people would buy even if they had the individual games. There's a lot of nostalgia for the old games, but I don't think any of them have the selling power of FF7. They could be releasing the 'gems' and then releasing the old ones as a bundle together later. If there's one thing to be sure of, there's not much point in trying to rationalise Square Enix's business decisions.