Runic games shutting down (creators of Hob and Torchlight)

aZombieDictator

So some very depressing news but Runic games is shutting down. They released three amazing games that I highly recommend playing. Especially Hob. It's sad to see an indie company like this go. Hob was so much better than a lot of games from AAA companies too. But at least they're going out with a really good game. And I really really hope they decide to release the Torchlight games on PS4, they're teasing something for the series. I spent over 100 hours in the first one. And here's their official Facebook post.

"Hey everyone,

It’s been over nine years since a rag-tag team of 17 developers helped open Runic Games. We’ve been so lucky for the community that has supported us and made us successful. Thanks to that support, we have had the chance to meet and work with the best people in the world. Our team here at Runic has released three successful games, and over that time we have seen many changes; team members got married, kids were born, but the most important thing is that we have become a family.

I’m sorry to say that today will be Runic’s last day open. Our focus is on our family here, and helping them find a new place to call home. If you are in games and looking for some of the best talent in the industry, please email [email protected].

For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming. And for all our fans, our community and multiplayer services will keep running even after the studio's lights go off.

It has been an amazing experience. To my family here at Runic, I know we won’t be far from each other, and I’ll miss seeing you all every week.

You haven’t heard the last of us,

Marsh Lefler
Studio Head"

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 3.11.2017 at 10:49 PM, aZombieDictator said:

So some very depressing news but Runic games is shutting down. They released three amazing games that I highly recommend playing. Especially Hob. It's sad to see an indie company like this go. Hob was so much better than a lot of games from AAA companies too. But at least they're going out with a really good game. And I really really hope they decide to release the Torchlight games on PS4, they're teasing something for the series. I spent over 100 hours in the first one. And here's their official Facebook post.

"Hey everyone,

It’s been over nine years since a rag-tag team of 17 developers helped open Runic Games. We’ve been so lucky for the community that has supported us and made us successful. Thanks to that support, we have had the chance to meet and work with the best people in the world. Our team here at Runic has released three successful games, and over that time we have seen many changes; team members got married, kids were born, but the most important thing is that we have become a family.

I’m sorry to say that today will be Runic’s last day open. Our focus is on our family here, and helping them find a new place to call home. If you are in games and looking for some of the best talent in the industry, please email [email protected].

For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming. And for all our fans, our community and multiplayer services will keep running even after the studio's lights go off.

It has been an amazing experience. To my family here at Runic, I know we won’t be far from each other, and I’ll miss seeing you all every week.

You haven’t heard the last of us,

Marsh Lefler
Studio Head"

I'm almost out of Triple AAA games, except soulsborne games. I'm into indie gaming for decades and nowadays more than ever. Need to play Hob but i'm sure it's amazing. EA, Ubicrap and Fucktivision are bringing small developers a hard time. The market is full of scavengers and the only one who might be able to change this are the players. but most of them are stupid as fuck. Microtransaction buying lambs. So in the end the only thing we can do is enjoying all those little gems this hobby has to offer.

I'm with you in every word, pal. 

Cheers, Nate

Edited by NathanDarko

10 hours ago, NathanDarko said:

I'm almost out of Triple AAA games, except soulsborne games. I'm into indie gaming for decades and nowadays more than ever. Need to play Hob but i'm sure it's amazing. EA, Ubicrap and Fucktivision are bringing small developers a hard time. The market is full of scavengers and the only one who might be able to change this are the players. but most of them are stupid as fuck. Microtransaction buying lambs. So in the end the only thing we can do is enjoying all those little gems this hobby has to offer.

I'm with you in every word, pal. 

Cheers, Nate

Indies are almost always more enjoyable than AAA games to me. The heart and soul the indie devs put into their work is amazing. They wanna create art people will enjoy, not make a product to make money like EA and what not.

So hyped for Hollow Knight and Time Spinner on the 25th, then you can see all the other indies I've platted and played. There's a ton. 

• Like 4

On 21.9.2018 at 10:09 PM, aZombieDictator said:

Indies are almost always more enjoyable than AAA games to me. The heart and soul the indie devs put into their work is amazing. They wanna create art people will enjoy, not make a product to make money like EA and what not.

So hyped for Hollow Knight and Time Spinner on the 25th, then you can see all the other indies I've platted and played. There's a ton. 

Thanks for bringing Time Spinner on my radar, haven't heard about it and it looks pretty good and fun :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Savyna said:

Thanks for bringing Time Spinner on my radar, haven't heard about it and it looks pretty good and fun :)

No problem! The publisher of time spinner is the same person who made Stardew Valley which is pretty cool.

It's also coming to Vita which I'll most likely be playing it there. Hollow Knight on PS4, Time Spinner on Vita. But I do wanna stream and make videos for time spinner so more people can know about it. Such a dilemma.

2 hours ago, aZombieDictator said:

No problem! The publisher of time spinner is the same person who made Stardew Valley which is pretty cool.

It's also coming to Vita which I'll most likely be playing it there. Hollow Knight on PS4, Time Spinner on Vita. But I do wanna stream and make videos for time spinner so more people can know about it. Such a dilemma.

I've never played Stardew Valley myself, too much farming involved :D. But I know it has a pretty big fanbase.

Then I guess you just have to play it on PS4 as well. Just do 2 playthroughs and then you can even compare the versions :)

I am glad there are a lot of good indie opportunities on console from other studios, although I am sad that Hob most likely will never get a worthy successor, I loved the game.

1 hour ago, wackt1 said:

Damn, there has been a series of studio shutdowns recently

This was posted a while ago.

2 hours ago, Savyna said:

I've never played Stardew Valley myself, too much farming involved :D. But I know it has a pretty big fanbase.

Then I guess you just have to play it on PS4 as well. Just do 2 playthroughs and then you can even compare the versions :)

I am glad there are a lot of good indie opportunities on console from other studios, although I am sad that Hob most likely will never get a worthy successor, I loved the game.

I'm not big on games like Stardew, but I played it and fell in love with it and binged it. And maybe, I might just use my Vita for Pato Box, then swap between Hollow Knight and Timespinner on PS4.

There's honestly too many good indies now, it's crazy. I can't keep up! Hollow Knight seems like the king of indies this year though with how much praise its got. But there's so many indies I loved this year. I should make a list or something. 

• 9 months later...