Chocobo Rider

StoRmAreA

Here is what the guide says

This race is done from the entrance to Remiem Temple in the Calm Lands. To get this trophy you will need to get all 5 chests during the race and win. This can be a little difficult as the controls are a little stiff at times, make sure to stay in the middle of the lanes and not touching the walls as it can slow you down.

Walkthrough

1. Stay on the current path and grab Chest 1, you will jump down the ledge.
  2. Turn onto the ramp on your immediate right, then turn around and grab the Chest 2. You will jump down the ledge.
  3. Head up the ramp on your right and go straight and grab Cheat 3, you will jump down the ledge again.
  4. Run straight and grab Chest 4, you'll jump up a small gap.
  5. Run straight and up 1 of the 2 ramps on your right, it'll turn you around but once up the ramp you should be going in the direction you originally were, grab Chest 5 at the end. You'll jump over near the end area of the race.
  6. From here run left and down the path to finish the race. You should be ahead of the other Chocobo, so continue on and you should win the race and be awared with your brand new trophy.

Here is a picture of the best strategy to get all 5 boxes and finish the race in 1st place. Be sure not to hit any of the poles on the way to the finish line for the best prize also, and for other items, try finishing the race wit just 1 box, 2 boxes, 3 boxes and 4 boxes.

1c4941.gif

I would also advise using the D-Pad instead of the analog stick.

• Like 3

You mean the chocobo race in the Calm Lands with birds and balloons? It's luck + skill. If the trainer gets ahead of you already in the beginning, you're usually screwed. Other than that, it's all about having the RNG produce enough balloons and you grabbing them and dodging the birds.I got this trophy in like 15 minutes. Had far more trouble getting the Remiem Temple race RNG to match my good runs (you will randomly race against one of three times, with only one of them being beatable while grabbing all five chests). 

3 hours ago, Virdeborn said:

You mean the chocobo race in the Calm Lands with birds and balloons? It's luck + skill. If the trainer gets ahead of you already in the beginning, you're usually screwed. Other than that, it's all about having the RNG produce enough balloons and you grabbing them and dodging the birds.I got this trophy in like 15 minutes. Had far more trouble getting the Remiem Temple race RNG to match my good runs (you will randomly race against one of three times, with only one of them being beatable while grabbing all five chests). 

theres absolutely no way you did it in 15min...

Use the D-pad, and run in a diagonal, never straight ahead after the first turn. There is some luck involved because with a bad balloon spawn you can take the first corner with 0 or 1 balloon. A good spawn will net you 3 of 4. Once you make the corner tap. The pad so you're running diagonal and hopefully lined up with a few balloons, after you grab a few and a bird passes tap the other way. The most annoying part is the end because the mini game has questionable invisible walls and it will turn you back to the middle if you hit them, often right into a bird. Because of this if advise changing directions whenever you have a bit of breathing room. 

I've done this mini game half a dozen times. Sometimes it's much easier, sometimes it's incredibly frustrating. Just have to wait for a good balloon spawn and make as few mistakes as possible. Also, if you think you can get a balloon, but will probably be hit, ignore it. A balloon takes three seconds but a bird costs you about five (+3 seconds, plus you stop running), with the added chance of immediately getting hit a second time. 

Good luck man. 

• Like 1

IIRC, it's also luck based. Sometimes the opponent runs faster and sometimes slower. And IIRC the difference is many seconds. Sometimes it's plain impossible, other times you got plenty of extra time. I hate stuff like that, but the chocobo stuff isn't that frustrating or difficult. It's like a one-time thing. I always think the 0:00:00 time is much more frustrating.

Edited by MMDE

4 hours ago, StoRmAreA said:

theres absolutely no way you did it in 15min...

But I did. Like I said, it's both skill and luck based. It got a hang of the controls quite quickly. It was just a matter of waiting for the RNG to load a run with enough balloons, slower trainer and enough birds that were easy enough to avoid. It could easily have taken me another hour or two due to the RNG. The Remiem Temple race took me an hour to beat. Lightning dodging is easy enough with the crater trick, but takes patience and focus. It's the butterfly catching that's killing me. I've powered up everyone's celestial weapons to the max, except Kimahri's.

(Should also add that there is no input lag if you're playing on the Vita, which helps a lot even if the controls still suck.)

I love this game. But it's got the worst mini-games in the series by far. They're all bad. Except Blitzball. I actually got pretty good at that. Won the match in Luca on my first try in the HD remaster, which got me excited to actually dive (no pun intended) further into the mechanics of it all and learn how to play. Which is funny because I didn't get it at all back in 2002.

Still, the single worst mini game, now that it has a ridiculous trophy attached to it, has to be rope skipping in Final Fantasy IX.

Edited by Virdeborn

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Alternatewarning said:

I got down to 1.2  If only I had gotten that one balloon I swear I walked into but game said no.  This, Lightning Dancer and Blitzball are going to be the end of me.

While I can't vouch anything for this stupid minigame, and the hours on end that blitzball will take, Lightning Dancer is incredibly easy. 

Use this: 

Make sure to get a peaceful shield.

you need to cutt him off at the very end it is very very close - took me a few good trys i was thinking this shits impossible..but you can do it - take a break if need be dont be ashamed ...GOOD LUCK

if its that one where u grab the balloon  thats a nightmare i got it on my 3rd try but i have played that game alot and its a nightmare...that stopped me form getting titus omega weapon for some time...

• Like 1

On 11/27/2017 at 9:42 PM, Alternatewarning said:

I got down to 1.2  If only I had gotten that one balloon I swear I walked into but game said no.  This, Lightning Dancer and Blitzball are going to be the end of me.

Crater trick posted above makes lightning easy enough and you only need to play 26 Blitz games for all of Wakkas stoof if you reset upon getting each reward until the next one pops up as the next prize. And on top of that you need to pay attention maybe 2 minutes per game then you can just camp behind your goalie and afk your way to glorious victory. Youre close to the chocobo race as well so dont give up :0

18 minutes ago, TheFalseDeity said:

Crater trick posted above makes lightning easy enough and you only need to play 26 Blitz games for all of Wakkas stoof if you reset upon getting each reward until the next one pops up as the next prize. And on top of that you need to pay attention maybe 2 minutes per game then you can just camp behind your goalie and afk your way to glorious victory. Youre close to the chocobo race as well so dont give up :0

Blitzball is kinda broken until you've played the game way too much. Why? Well, if you focus your character to do one job, and that one job very well, they will become very strong at it. Obviously! But what will also happen is that each round will just be about the ball being thrown into the game, your opponent picks up the ball, and that player is encountered and blocked pretty quickly so you regain the ball, you throw it to your shooter and he can at some point just throw it from the other side of the arena and score. In the beginning you may need to get closer to the goal, and in which case you will be strong at tackling opponents and make sure you face small teams. Learn all the skills and abilities you can. Hire the best players. But really, you just need some okay defense to take the ball back to the guy who's going to shoot, and the shooter scoring every time (usually Tidus for me, though using Wakka for it is fun too). After a while, Tidus will be like level 60 when the opponents are level 25... And the game is just a joke. You score 10-0 etc.

Edited by MMDE

2 hours ago, MMDE said:

Blitzball is kinda broken until you've played the game way too much. Why? Well, if you focus your character to do one job, and that one job very well, they will become very strong at it. Obviously! But what will also happen is that each round will just be about the ball being thrown into the game, your opponent picks up the ball, and that player is encountered and blocked pretty quickly so you regain the ball, you throw it to your shooter and he can at some point just throw it from the other side of the arena and score. In the beginning you may need to get closer to the goal, and in which case you will be strong at tackling opponents and make sure you face small teams. Learn all the skills and abilities you can. Hire the best players. But really, you just need some okay defense to take the ball back to the guy who's going to shoot, and the shooter scoring every time (usually Tidus for me, though using Wakka for it is fun too). After a while, Tidus will be like level 60 when the opponents are level 25... And the game is just a joke. You score 10-0 etc.

Yeah definitely easy enough even sticking to the Aurochs and can just go overkill if you get people like Brother. The AI doesnt always put up much to help their cause either. Right in front of my goalie? Lemme pass it to a defender. Play it less and less on each subsequent playthrough but still enjoy it overall. Torn on wanting minigames in XVI still though. When they do them right it tends to be great...when its not great....eep. 

Just noting that you only really have to spend about an hour on it for the plat if you dont care for it since some dont seem aware.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alternatewarning said:

I'm going to throw my vita out the window.  I hate this trophy.  I can't get more than 9 balloons.  It's impossible

It completely sucks. I hated that thing back on the PS2 (and I never got it there, though I did learn that if you hit 0.00 exactly, it didn't count). I did get it on PS3, but yeah - it's one of the worst minigames in FF, and FF has a LOT of bad minigames.

As for Blitzball, get Brother. Yeah, he was annoying as hell in FFX-2, but he is dominant. Put him in the middle, and in around 3 or 4 matches, he will simply crush the competition.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Having just reached the calm lands and broken my first Chocobo I had maybe 15 attempts at the balloon/bird mini game. All but 1 of my runs were awful, the good one was 0:6:5 and I was unlucky when I seemingly ran right through a balloon half way in but the game just stone walked me and then I ate bird just before the finish line. Hope it doesn’t take too long, I won’t move forward with the game until it’s done.

On 12/4/2017 at 0:30 AM, MMDE said:

Blitzball is kinda broken until you've played the game way too much. Why? Well, if you focus your character to do one job, and that one job very well, they will become very strong at it. Obviously!

This is incorrect. Players have hidden ceilings for any given stat. Nedus, for instance, starts with 30 sp -- an extremely poor stat -- but he can max out the stat near lvl 99. You don't raise his sp by swimming, but by scoring and leveling up (I always kept him by an opponent's goal and just fed him the ball with Brother).

If anyone wants a PDF of all player stats I can provide one (I think I still have it).

2 hours ago, TheLakota said:

This is incorrect. Players have hidden ceilings for any given stat. Nedus, for instance, starts with 30 sp -- an extremely poor stat -- but he can max out the stat near lvl 99. You don't raise his sp by swimming, but by scoring and leveling up (I always kept him by an opponent's goal and just fed him the ball with Brother).

If anyone wants a PDF of all player stats I can provide one (I think I still have it).

What was incorrect about what I said? I said it was broken until you played the game way too much. Broken as in, the game is way too easy. I would just tackle whoever got the ball, throw it to Tidus, he would tackle his way until he could find a spot where he could shoot at the goal, just make sure you don't tackle too many at the same time. At some point he gets so good at it that he can just shoot without tackling anyone at all. You get things like 10-0 over and over. That is totally broken. Once you reach the ceiling, that's when it will stop being broken at some point, as the opponents will catch up. But, you'll be max level 100 or whatever while opponents are at 30. I've done this several times.