Opinions from early buyers ...

Maitre

Got Hand of fate 1 early. Great game overall. had lots of fun. It's biggest drawbacks was some random crashes and bugs. I've seen that they made extensions which might or might not have fixed most of the problems. But i'm not a dlc buyer kinda guy and i had already finished the game, so i didnt take the time to verify. 

So i will wait a bit to buy it (also currently playing other games) but if someone buys it please write some fast impression of the testing quality for this iteration. thanks

Just played about an hour of it, I have a video uploading - 

so far I'm impressed. Not seen any bugs or issues, combat is a lot more weighty, graphics seem nicer, a few new mechanics in the cards and there is now a map you progress through rather than the box of cards. 

The vid is 30 mins and covers up to the first boss and introduction to the map. Wish I could play more but I'm off out in a minute. 

Edited by turniplord
Now live
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 5:21 PM, Maitre said:

Got Hand of fate 1 early. Great game overall. had lots of fun. It's biggest drawbacks was some random crashes and bugs. I've seen that they made extensions which might or might not have fixed most of the problems. But i'm not a dlc buyer kinda guy and i had already finished the game, so i didnt take the time to verify. 

So i will wait a bit to buy it (also currently playing other games) but if someone buys it please write some fast impression of the testing quality for this iteration. thanks

The first game got a free patch btw. It changed the core game quite a lot. Even added trophies to the main game... I got no idea why they didn't just make the free patch it's own DLC trophy list, because they also added some of the free patch trophies to the DLC list. Basically, you can have the platinum without all the trophies, or earned trophies from main game after platinum. And you can earn trophies from the first DLC without paying for the first DLC.

One of the things they did was add new classes, which is basically "difficulties". "Normal" is now required for most of the trophies, and this removes a specific card from the deck that could be abused to get insane buffs and whatnot.

11 hours ago, turniplord said:

Just played about an hour of it, I have a video uploading - 

so far I'm impressed. Not seen any bugs or issues, combat is a lot more weighty, graphics seem nicer, a few new mechanics in the cards and there is now a map you progress through rather than the box of cards. 

The vid is 30 mins and covers up to the first boss and introduction to the map. Wish I could play more but I'm off out in a minute. 

Yeah, I saw the video, didn't watch all. I hope the combat is improved a bit, because it was a tad bit basic in the original game.

I also hope they fix some of the stuff with bosses being random encounters after you beat them, because they became way too common enemies, and you'd often meet several bosses at the same time as a normal encounter. I mean, it's not like you've leveled up since first time it was like an end-game of dungeon boss, you always start out with the same stats and chance for the same equipment etc. Only thing that has changed is your playing skills have improved. So yeah, that ruined the game a bit IMO. Also, the last boss was quite a bit too OP.

I think I will be buying the game at some point though! :) Enjoyed the original game way too much to not buy this one as well.

Edited by MMDE

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

The first game got a free patch btw. It changed the core game quite a lot. Even added trophies to the main game... I got no idea why they didn't just make the free patch it's own DLC trophy list, because they also added some of the free patch trophies to the DLC list. Basically, you can have the platinum without all the trophies, or earned trophies from main game after platinum. And you can earn trophies from the first DLC without paying for the first DLC.

One of the things they did was add new classes, which is basically "difficulties". "Normal" is now required for most of the trophies, and this removes a specific card from the deck that could be abused to get insane buffs and whatnot.

Yeah, I saw the video, didn't watch all. I hope the combat is improved a bit, because it was a tad bit basic in the original game.

I also hope they fix some of the stuff with bosses being random encounters after you beat them, because they became way too common enemies, and you'd often meet several bosses at the same time as a normal encounter. I mean, it's not like you've leveled up since first time it was like an end-game of dungeon boss, you always start out with the same stats and chance for the same equipment etc. Only thing that has changed is your playing skills have improved. So yeah, that ruined the game a bit IMO. Also, the last boss was quite a bit too OP.

I think I will be buying the game at some point though! :) Enjoyed the original game way too much to not buy this one as well.

Played another hour of it (2 more videos uploading now) and I have encountered a 'mini boss' for the second time as an encounter, but the second time he was a lot weaker than the time he was a real mini-boss.

The combat does feel weighty - I've not played the original for a while but I will do before I do my official review, for comparison. One of the big changes is you have a companion. You befriend an annoying Mage in the first section who is your first ally - so you can take him into battle and he will cast a protection spell (with L1) that saves you from 1 hit then has to recharge before you can use it again. I have also been in battles where you 'join' a battle of 3-6 soldiers against a group of enemies, so you have 3-6 people fighting with you.

They have a map now, instead of the card chest, probably just a cosmetic change, but gives you more of a story then picking a deck of cards out of a box. Also - I can't 100% confirm this, but it seems food is only consumed when going over an un-flipped card. if you are moving around flipped ones then you don't consume food and you have to stop at flipped campsites to eat food and recover health (if there are no un-flipped cards to move between).

To me, it does appear they have changed quite a few things - atm its NA PSN and WW Steam - in terms of release, with EUR PSN and XBOX (with X support) coming later on.

37 minutes ago, CjShai said:

I thought Defiant were Australian devs, wonder why they are releasing in NA earlier

Was like this with the DLCs too. Takes longer to get the game validated or something for release, at least that's what they said the last time.

• Like 1