Disney to buy 20th Century Fox?

Miles_Warren

There are currently rumours circulating the internet that Disney had held talks to buy a portion of 20th Century Fox and that these talks have been held over the last couple of weeks. According to CNBC, the talks include the Walt Disney Co. buying a large portion of 20th Century Fox with the exception of the news and sport properties. Disney already own ESPN so it makes sense that they wouldn't want to buy Fox Sports as well as it could be seen as anti competitive. However, if the deal goes through, then they would own the TV and movie production properties which is the big news coming out of all this. Marvel movie fans might be pleased to see X-Men and Fantastic Four under the same roof as the Avengers. Unfortunately, the same source that CNBC quoted said that the talks were only preliminary and the two companies are not in discussion at the moment. Obviously, a deal between the two largest film studios and network lenders would attract unwanted regulatory scutiny so I doubt this will go ahead.

Image result for rupert murdoch rich

What in the world is that picture?

It's an interesting rumour and would have pretty big impacts on a lot of franchises if fox and disney were to merge. I feel the X-men have been used so poorly by fox that it would be cool to see another company witha  better track record have a go at it. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

I don't really see it happening, but fuck me I want it to.

Just so that the next re-re-re-re-release of Star Wars brings back the Fox logo at the start. It's honestly really fucking weird going to watch Empire or something and it just cuts to the Lucasfilm logo. Like, I know the iconic opening music is great on it's own, but I still associate the lead in by the Fox fanfare to be a part of it. It's like the opening comedian, you're not there for them, but they get you amped for the real thing nonetheless.

While I would love to see Marvel get back the movie rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four, Disney buying Fox would absolutely horrible. It would give Disney around 25% of the overall market share, when it comes to movies (I don't know the most recent numbers, but last I checked, it would be around there). That's obscene. And given they're already kind of being dicks about The Last Jedi, they would have way more license to do whatever they wanted. Like raising prices for their movies (which would in-turn raise prices for us to watch them), and/or forcing theaters to only show their movies, or even blocking specific competitors entirely. Or at the very least, only show their movies on the best screens. No company can do that, because they don't control enough of the market to be able to, but this would change that.

Honestly, this kind of thing should be blocked to prevent Disney from becoming too big, and taking over too much of the market, but with the state of the government right now, I don't know if that would really happen.

2 hours ago, Gengar said:

There are currently rumours circulating the internet that Disney had held talks to buy a portion of 20th Century Fox and that these talks have been held over the last couple of weeks. According to CNBC, the talks include the Walt Disney Co. buying a large portion of 20th Century Fox with the exception of the news and sport properties. Disney already own ESPN so it makes sense that they wouldn't want to buy Fox Sports as well as it could be seen as anti competitive. However, if the deal goes through, then they would own the TV and movie production properties which is the big news coming out of all this. Marvel movie fans might be pleased to see X-Men and Fantastic Four under the same roof as the Avengers. Unfortunately, the same source that CNBC quoted said that the talks were only preliminary and the two companies are not in discussion at the moment. Obviously, a deal between the two largest film studios and network lenders would attract unwanted regulatory scutiny so I doubt this will go ahead.

Image result for rupert murdoch rich

If it means X-Men and Fantastic Four are in the Marvel Universe, and can be used in Marvel video games, then I'm all for it. Fuck FOX. 

@ExHaseo that is a legitimate concern, looks to be about 30% (if merged) of the market share now according to Box Office Mojo. That's compared to 20% Time Warner (WB/New Line) and 17.5% for NBC/Universal so it is a pretty hefty margin and that is only looking at Movies not TV.

The carving up of the Fox holdings looks like they've taken anti competition laws (Fox News, Fox Business Channel, Fox Sports and Fox Local Channels). I think a big impact that not as many people are discussing though is that Disney is bringing out a streaming service to rival Netflix and if they can add the Fox film and TV rights to it, it becomes a pretty amazing product.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dessane said:

@ExHaseo that is a legitimate concern, looks to be about 30% (if merged) of the market share now according to Box Office Mojo. That's compared to 20% Time Warner (WB/New Line) and 17.5% for NBC/Universal so it is a pretty hefty margin and that is only looking at Movies not TV.

The carving up of the Fox holdings looks like they've taken anti competition laws (Fox News, Fox Business Channel, Fox Sports and Fox Local Channels). I think a big impact that not as many people are discussing though is that Disney is bringing out a streaming service to rival Netflix and if they can add the Fox film and TV rights to it, it becomes a pretty amazing product.

I didn't even think much about their new streaming service or TV stuff. That would be a pretty serious shake up if they took all of Fox's shows off of Hulu and Netflix. Another reason it really shouldn't happen. Disney already owns ABC, and with Fox, that would be 2 of the 4 major networks under the same company.

• Like 1

@ExHaseo I'm well outside my expertise while discussing this but there is a law that prevents any one entity owning two of the big 4 news networks I think (Australian talking about American antitrust so happy to be corrected) but even beyond that you are right about it being a huge chunk of the pie if you combine the TV networks that they have. I guess the question comes down to is 30% too much for one company to hold. I definitely see why you and many other people are concerned though.

It's an interesting rumour that has had a pretty good effect on Fox stocks overnight but it will be interesting if there is any credibility to it.

Hmm disney taking over the television?...ha it was bound to happen.They got Star Wars and Marvel like it was nothing...today 20th Century Fox,tomorrow they will own every goddamn thing on TV in the US and people won't even know they're behind it all.It's funny though cuz it's not like they need it since most of them work for the same thing...believe they'll never take Warner Bros,its not needed.

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2017 at 7:38 PM, ObliviousSenpai said:

I hope it happens just so I can finally see a decent adaptation of my boy Doctor Doom. I'm sick of all the trash adaptations we've gotten from Fox. It would've been really cool if this happened a few years ago, so Doom could've shown up for Infinity War. Also MvC: Infinite needs Wolverine and Doom.

If youve seen Logan,  you would know that Wolverine can't come back

6 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

What does this have to do with my comment about Wolverine joining the roster for Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite? And reboots happen all the time, so it wouldn't be surprising at all to see Wolverine return in some capacity. 

I highly doubt a reboot would happen. Especially since there are more sequels on the way. Rebooting the series isn't a smart idea. So yes it does have to do with your comment.

6 hours ago, The Titan said:

I highly doubt a reboot would happen. Especially since there are more sequels on the way. Rebooting the series isn't a smart idea. So yes it does have to do with your comment.

Once again, I was talking about Wolverine joining the roster for a fighting video game, which has nothing to do with the movies. The only character I referenced in regards to films was Doctor Doom.

It's not about what you think is smart, it's about what makes money and you would be crazy to think that Disney isn't going to use Wolverine just because of what happened in Logan. He is the most popular X-Men character there is and the one that will rake in the most cash, so you can be sure that he will be returning either with Hugh Jackman (who has expressed interest in crossing over with the Avengers) or a new actor portraying the character.

6 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Once again, I was talking about Wolverine joining the roster for a fighting video game, which has nothing to do with the movies. The only character I referenced in regards to films was Doctor Doom.

It's not about what you think is smart, it's about what makes money and you would be crazy to think that Disney isn't going to use Wolverine just because of what happened in Logan. He is the most popular X-Men character there is and the one that will rake in the most cash, so you can be sure that he will be returning either with Hugh Jackman (who has expressed interest in crossing over with the Avengers) or a new actor portraying the character.

All I read was mvc? What is mvc?

36 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Didn't he return a whole film or two before they introduced time travel?

I think he came back at the end of The Wolverine I'm not too sure the whole time travel thing in Days of Future Past sort of got me confused