Youtube is a cesspool of hate, censorship and bigotry

AJ_Radio

Social media makes us all insecure because we all feel like we are being judged, depressed as everyones lives look better and stupid because we start thinking if people rant enough about one thing they must have a point.

2 hours ago, Lorajet said:

Well, it's social media, which between that and Facebook has become the worst crap out there.  Who really cares about your selfies?  Who wants to see you bashing something over and over again, along with your immature opinions.

Like the other posters, there are a few Youtubers that I enjoy watching for games, how to fix something on my car, house etc.  

A bit depressing, really.

No one does, however if you pretend you care and others pretend they care by hitting a like button everyone can pat themselves on the back. It then changes to that awkward situation where if you forgot to press the like button that one time for that selfie they tried so hard to lighten up so much they no longer looked like themselves they get upset.

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Do what I do.  Don't subscribe to anything, just use YouTube for the occasional random gameplay video, dog video, or for listening to music.  Get vanilla non-opinion piece gaming news from a social media feed of relatively tame sources and forums like this one, never read comment sections on any video/news sites and when you do never ever ever trust anyones thoughts or opinions about anything without an incredible amount of skepticism.

Funnily enough your demographic seems to be the one my channel was hitting. I had few subscribers, but a lot of people were watching my videos disproportionately to my subscribers, meaning people were just looking up my channel and vids. I guess i should take that as a compliment.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

YouTube is our society's version of the lead in the wine glasses of the Roman Civilization. Poisoning minds and making us dumber, sip by sip. 

Or the corruption of the Flint, Michigan government for allowing lead poisoned water into the home of nearly 100,000 low-income residents, lying about it and trying to cover it up.

Edited by skateak
  • Like 1

another thread complaining about the way things are...the only thing more passive than creating a thread on an unrelated website would be not complaining at all I suppose...

what ever happened to finding happiness in simple things like having food to eat, clothes to wear, a solid place to live, and people around us to love and be loved by? ...if you look for hate and bigotry in today's world you'll find it everywhere and it's a sign that you are in fact just at a point of insecure evolution and the "problem"  is within oneself not society...thankfully the opposite is also true...look for love and acceptance and act within these boundaries and all the negative stuff just fades away as either funny or unimportant...the question to me is always this: you choose the things you surround yourself with so why choose to focus on the negative?...all you're in fact doing is contributing to it and creating more...

want your YouTube problems to go away?...forget about what it used to be, it no longer exists...don't use YouTube if it causes such strong negative emotions/reactions...be proactive and create the kind of video channel/web site you'd like to use...be a leader and spread love if you find that you must use it...otherwise at least try to keep an open enough mind to the thought that the "problems"  actually only exist on your end and that your actions/reactions are the only thing you have control over...

i love you tube and am glad it exists...i hope anyone complaining about it can try to focus on its positive aspects and have a laugh at the stuff they don't like rather than contributing to it by creating what is essentially a potentially never ending "hate" war...

"I'm allowed to share my opinion...i don't like this...i don't like that"...great, in a conflict there are three basic courses of action...fight, flight, and surrender/acceptance...which will you choose?...how will you go about it?...and what do you hope for the outcome to be?...what impact will a thread on psnp here have on YouTube's greater good/evil?...

what I see is that we've now got yet another thread here on psnp created out of insecurity and anger for the purpose of what, finding more angry, insecure people?...i mean look at the thread title...says it all...why not do the world a favor by locking this thread and using your creativity and knowledge to spread love about the things you love instead of just hating the haters and creating more hate?...

Edited by ProfBambam55

• 1 month later...

Fortunately now  i only use youtube to listen some music and watch some lives. 

Now the bad part:

Some time ago i had a youtube channel in which i tried to make videos to help people in games like friday the 13th, outlast etc ... unfortunately i had to delete the channel because i don't have patience for immature people and haters that doesn't have a life and creating acc's to give dislikes. because the only friends they should have are the secondary accounts ...
some youtubers i stopped watching them, they are people who only think of donations and nothing more.. money whores!

People still don't understand but i say again, if they are positive for each other things will be different.

• Like 2

I'm subscribed to some few hundred channels on youtube, and that's not because I just subscribe to everything I pass by, but rather because I want to see more of them. I certainly don't agree with many of the channels I subscribe to, but I like to keep myself updated with the latest from different perspectives.

A lot of people making videos about the same topics is just natural. Not only is that what people seem to be interested in atm, but people are often asking the content creators to do so.

Comment sections? I'm really turned off by videos that disables the comment section. That's usually a sure sign the creator can't handle or don't want others to see the feedback. But not only that, the comment section do function as just that, a feedback section. You get a decent idea what people thinks about the video, if there's something wrong in it, often what those who don't agree with the video thinks. If the latter isn't there, then there's a good chance the creator deletes comments.

Adpocalypse is mostly about the traditional media drastically losing viewers all the time, which in turn means they lose out on the good advertisement money too. It's pretty sad seeing people buy into the stories the traditional media spins about why youtube is/should lose advertisers. The majority of the advertised content has there not been any big issues with. In the case of political stuff, you'll have the big traditional media channel's videos be monetized on the exact same topics as who everyone else would not get monetized for. Honestly, it's just come down to a lot of quality videos being de-monetized while the shady stuff just finds another way to play the system.

And it's not like this is some kind of secret. You now even got the death of net neutrality in USA. This is for the old cable TV networks to earn extra money on the services being offered on their network, services like netflix. It gives them an unfair advantage if they decide to launch competing platforms, and they can pretty much out compete most online services etc. Will stop innovation and the users will have to pay more for a worse service. Anyway, was just another example of the desperate traditional media trying to take back their market share.

Back to youtube, there's tons of great channels, whatever the topic you want to watch about is. There's a lot of garbage too of course.

You can still make it on youtube just fine. You just need a niche enough people are interested in, and deliver quality content over and over. It also helps being active in related communities or people making the occasional video on the same topic.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

On 08/11/2017 at 7:06 AM, The High Ground said:

Yeah Youtube is a shithole, but at this point its pretty much my version of TV, I dont really care how the YouTubers act, doesnt other me one bit, what bothers me is how YouTube fucks everyone over, creators and viewers alike, oh and the Kekistani people are oppressed, glory be to Sargon. xD 

I knew it, i knew it, you are a kekistani Jedi! Remember when kekistan symbol was in destiny 2 and polygon and kotaku were calling it alt right, white nationalist? lol ?

There are very good content in utube, it depends very much of what you are watching, imo, don't take it too seriously and you won't have any issue. I like the history/culinary/music/culture content. I NEVER click on politics. NEVER.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BG_painter said:

I knew it, i knew it, you are a kekistani Jedi! Remember when kekistan symbol was in destiny 2 and polygon and kotaku were calling it alt right, white nationalist? lol ?

There are very good content in utube, it depends very much of what you are watching, imo, don't take it too seriously and you won't have any issue. I like the history/culinary/music/culture content. I NEVER click on politics. NEVER.

Oh I love politics because of the sjw stuff, like I like watching people making fun of it. Yes Im a Kekistani Jedi roflmao...

I personally love science and history too, watch some gaming vids here and there but also like comic book stuff too like comics explained..just an all around nerd I guess, when Im interested in something I get super invested, funny thing is, in real life I look really similar to my obi wan picture xD (I know trailing off) Short brown hair, beard just like his just a tad shorter and hell even the same eye color as Ewan McGregor lmaooooo I honestly didnt think of that when I made my account lmaooo

• Like 1

I still watch content on YouTube but I stick to the smaller channels. It's definitely not like it was ten years ago. I usually watch stuff just to get a laugh and I really am only subscribed to one true gamer channel that I enjoy watching. I don't really care for the major "YouTube Stars"...content never caught my interest

I enjoy YouTube, it's my favorite place for entertainment. Practically I enjoy watching videos because it makes me feel less lonely.

And I learn a lot from it like history, science, general knowledge or tutorials. Seriusly there are so many interesting stuff to watch on YouTube. 

• 1 month later...

The issue to me is Youtube is heavily formulaic and streamlined now. At least in 2005 - 2009 people were able to gain a steady number of followers by just being themselves.

Yes, the webcam quality from most of those old channels wasn't the best. 240p was the best you could get in video quality, so in a sense, watching Youtube videos was like popping in a standard def DVD of your favorite movie.

Today it's all about the hi def quality, at least 1080p or better. People don't pay attention to you as much if you don't have a flashy thumbnail to go with that new Youtube video. I've seen channels as low as 25 - 50 subscribers put out flashy thumbnails to gain attention. Youtube got attention from big business and Google doesn't care as long as they're making their money from it. The amount of smaller channels that put in a donation link, use flashy thumbnails and other tactics to lure in viewers just sickens me.

And despite all the complaints long time content creators have made regarding Youtube, it continues to be hugely successful because there is no real competitor. Nothing else comes close when it comes to video hosting websites. So Google is absolutely free to do whatever they want and still not take much of a loss. It's less about the creativity and more about the streamlined experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a YouTube content creator since March 2010 and as such I have seen it changed rapidly over the past few years.

With the flooding of reviewers, gamers, and drama channels it's a very different platform than when I started out.

Most of the major players in the Toronto YouTube crowd are constantly mentioning about trying to find alternate sites to promote their content as well as make revenue.

The problem with all the other sites out there is that YouTube basically has the monopoly on most online content. (EXAMPLE: you can go to Yahoo, Bing, etc. etc. but most of the audience is on Google and will still be using Google after you drop out).

If there is a site that can rival YouTubes notoriety and improve it's format; by all means I would jump headfirst into that.

I myself am not a big player. I'm considered widely to be an indie veteran (Thanks for making me feel old Toronto's convention community :p)  and despite YouTube's MANY MANY flaws, I still enjoy putting out content because it's what I'm good at and what I enjoy doing. 

I tried getting work in Journalism but they wanted me to work for free and treated me like I was expendable. If I'm going to work for free, I would rather do it for me.

At least then I know that the work I create is something I can be proud of!

Edited by SonicMTD

2 hours ago, SonicMTD said:

I've been a YouTube content creator since March 2010 and as such I have seen it changed rapidly over the past few years.

With the flooding of reviewers, gamers, and drama channels it's a very different platform than when I started out.

Most of the major players in the Toronto YouTube crowd are constantly mentioning about trying to find alternate sites to promote their content as well as make revenue.

The problem with all the other sites out there is that YouTube basically has the monopoly on most online content. (EXAMPLE: you can go to Yahoo, Bing, etc. etc. but most of the audience is on Google and will still be using Google after you drop out).

If there is a site that can rival YouTubes notoriety and improve it's format; by all means I would jump headfirst into that.

I myself am not a big player. I'm considered widely to be an indie veteran (Thanks for making me feel old Toronto's convention community :p)  and despite YouTube's MANY MANY flaws, I still enjoy putting out content because it's what I'm good at and what I enjoy doing. 

I tried getting work in Journalism but they wanted me to work for free and treated me like I was expendable. If I'm going to work for free, I would rather do it for me.

At least then I know that the work I create is something I can be proud of!

Youtube in a sense is unrecognizable from when I made my account.

I made my account in March 2007 and at that time most of the videos you saw were of people just being themselves on the low res webcams.

The first two guys I loved watching on Youtube were The Angry Video Game Nerd and The Irate Gamer. Those guys knew quite a bit on video editing skills when most people were just happy with a steady following on a webcam.

Drama channels have always been around in some format and won't be going away since religion and politics are always topics of hot debate. Let's Plays have been around for a decade and were the go to destination to see modern video games get footage before Twitch.tv enabled the gamer to livestream their content.

I'm just tired of Youtube. One of my favorite Youtubers has retired after eight years and all the old guys I loved watching back in 2007 - 2011 are pretty much gone at this point.

On 2/4/2018 at 6:47 AM, Spaz said:

The issue to me is Youtube is heavily formulaic and streamlined now. At least in 2005 - 2009 people were able to gain a steady number of followers by just being themselves.

Yes, the webcam quality from most of those old channels wasn't the best. 240p was the best you could get in video quality, so in a sense, watching Youtube videos was like popping in a standard def DVD of your favorite movie.

Today it's all about the hi def quality, at least 1080p or better. People don't pay attention to you as much if you don't have a flashy thumbnail to go with that new Youtube video. I've seen channels as low as 25 - 50 subscribers put out flashy thumbnails to gain attention. Youtube got attention from big business and Google doesn't care as long as they're making their money from it. The amount of smaller channels that put in a donation link, use flashy thumbnails and other tactics to lure in viewers just sickens me.

And despite all the complaints long time content creators have made regarding Youtube, it continues to be hugely successful because there is no real competitor. Nothing else comes close when it comes to video hosting websites. So Google is absolutely free to do whatever they want and still not take much of a loss. It's less about the creativity and more about the streamlined experience.

I don't think flashy thumbnails or high quality videos is an issue. :S Neither do I find it sickening that people with low view count adds a donation link. Misleading click bait titles, descriptions and key word tagging of videos that has nothing to do with the video will get you banned from youtube. Someone making you click on a video isn't the same as making you donate to them. And the way youtube is now dropping most of it's partners and demonetizing a shit ton of videos, I totally get why people ask for donations. Few viewers? What better way to keep going than donations, if your viewers really enjoy what you do?

The only thing I agree with you about is lack of alternatives, and that's simply because even google themselves have never profited on youtube. Not sure how taking ads of almost every single video is going to make them any more money, except maybe they get more money for the ads, because it's more limited.