Good headset for ps3 and ps4?

UlvenFenrir

I need help finding a good headset that works with both the ps3 and ps4.

i already have the wireless headset for ps4, not the platinum one. I dont mind if it isnt sony, just any headset that works for both systems. Preferably wired so i dont have to charge it all the time.

Edited by UlvenFenrir

I personally use Turtle Beach as they range from cheap to expensive. I got a relatively moderately priced one (about £80) that works wirelessly with PS3 and PS4, and plugs into the vita as well, I think it's Stealth 500. The company do a huge range of headsets from cheap to super expensive with a variety of ranges like Elite, Stealth, Recon etc. depending on what you what from it. I find them great, they are very comfortable and although it's seen as one of the more commercial gaming headset brands sold in game shops, they do cater for everyone in terms of price and quality. 

One of my friends who is a hardcore PC gamer and a game programmer himself loves Sennheiser, claiming most other headsets are just pieces of plastic. To be honest they are top range but can be a bit on the pricier side than what game shops usually sell. I think it's the U 320 that works with both PS3 and PS4, as well as PC and Xbox but's it's super expensive. 

I also use Turtle Beach Stealth 500 (99% sure this is the one). I'm on my second one and it works great - great battery, good sound and control, easish to switch between systems. I can even wire it to my computer or phone and use it. (Be aware I'm not picky about sound quality)

The only issues I've had in the last 3 years is that you can break the adjusters if aren't careful with storage (hanging it verses laying it on something hard), I have thicker plastic framed glasses and it doesn't fit well around them (but other glasses should be fine), my old pair use to give me random headaches because of the fit (but not my new ones, so make sure you adjust them properly before extended use)  and, finally, my make up discolored the muffs on my newest pair (still can't figure this one out since I had no issues before, but just make sure to wipe down the muffs frequently)

Mines wireless but my brothers got the cheaper wired ones and they worked decently good, but were a pain to set up.

• Like 1

Astro A40 and Skullcandy PLYR1 7.1 are both compatible with PS3 and PS4. I've never used either of them before (I've only used Turtle Beach), but the Amazon reviews look decent enough. Astro A40 is pretty cheap as well. 

I don't think any of the Hyper X headsets have ps3 compatibility, just PS4. Afterglow Nur is another, but that brand tends to suck in general so I wouldn't really recommend them. I'd go with Turtle, Astro or Sennheiser in terms of quality. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Astro A40 and Skullcandy PLYR1 7.1 are both compatible with PS3 and PS4. I've never used either of them before (I've only used Turtle Beach), but the Amazon reviews look decent enough. Astro A40 is pretty cheap as well. 

I don't think any of the Hyper X headsets have ps3 compatibility, just PS4. Afterglow Nur is another, but that brand tends to suck in general so I wouldn't really recommend them. I'd go with Turtle, Astro or Sennheiser in terms of quality. 

Thanks. I have my eyes on the astro for sure. If i were to get sennheiser would i need a mixamp of sorts like the one that comes with the astros?

I have the Sony Pulse Elite that is unbelievably great.  Have had it for 2 years, constant use. Very comfortable and charges easily (charging from the PS4 when I'm not yacking or if I'm using the PS4 for streaming). I use it with the PS3 and PS4, would buy it again.

I know you said you already have a wireless, but I have choked, tripped or yanked my head off with a wired headset.  It is a PITA.  

Just now, BlackSquirrell1 said:

I know you said you already have a wireless, but I have choked, tripped or yanked my head off with a wired headset.  It is a PITA.  

I've broken two headsets due to me stepping on the chord when going to stand up, it's no fun.  Best investment ever was getting a wireless.  I have a turtle Beach earforce stealth 420x  for PS4 of course.  Charges pretty quickly and I get about 2 full days of gaming before having to charge them.  Now, I don't have many PSN friends so I don't use it a ton but it's a quality headset

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎08 at 4:18 PM, HardXDXtraga said:

To everyone who might read this, NEVER BUY THE SONY GOLD HEADSET, it's amazing until it immediately breaks for no reason

can back this, the sound itself is great for the price but the folding design is poorly thought out and will most likely break on you.

On 08/11/2017 at 9:45 PM, SnowxSakura said:

I've had the gold headset for 2 years now no issues

After the 2 year mark mine started slowly cracking in the middle until in opened up completely, I fixed it (meaning I put duct tape around the crack) but now since it doesn't tighten around the ears the sound isn't the same and there's a lot of outside sound coming in.

Hope that doesn't happen to you, cuz I really enjoyed the headset. Also 2 friends of mine bought it at around the same time and both had the same issue, it's how @koozer19 said, the poor design eventually screws you.

On 13/11/2017 at 1:49 PM, UlvenFenrir said:

Thanks. I have my eyes on the astro for sure. If i were to get sennheiser would i need a mixamp of sorts like the one that comes with the astros?

No you don't need a mixamp or anything with the Sennheiser. It is wired by USB (not wireless) and can be used with multiple systems

14 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

No you don't need a mixamp or anything with the Sennheiser. It is wired by USB (not wireless) and can be used with multiple systems

Okay well the reason i ask is because the ps4 headset you cant get sound through the usb on the ps3. So i thought this was the case with all headsets.

23 hours ago, Ditto said:

I also have had a pair of Sony Golds for awhile now (bought them before my PS4), and haven't had any problems with them. Works with both systems. Just have to swap the wireless receiver back and forth.

i leave the receiver in my PS3 and use a cord for the PS4 and i have had mine since it was released.