Thoughts on buying a Pro?

RK9

Hi people! So, I'm a bit torn on whether to buy a Pro or an X. I know the specs and differences between the two but I'm still torn and I would appreciate some general opinions on where my money would be best spent. First, a little about me as a gamer, which I feel is important to take into consideration:

I currently play mostly on Xbox. For years I've played primarily Call of Duty and Fifa, my gaming time was spent with a heavy multiplayer focus. Most of my friends are on Xbox and most of my friends, if not all of them are heavily invested in multiplayer games too. However, January this year I grew tired of playing the same old Sh$#@ and decided to go for gamerscore. I've been playing a lot of single player games and it's been awesome! I've had a little go at trophies too. I pretty much always go for the completion, I'm not a completionist but I do really enjoy completing games fully. Getting a platinum for doing so is really cool.

I've dropped around 80k Gamerscore this year and I've learnt a lot about who I am as a gamer. I got massively caught up in quantity vs quality and I've played some crap games ( I've played some great games too) in an overall attempt to lay down as much score as possible. Moving forward I will likely focus on just playing the games I want to play, regardless of difficulty or length. I think this is where I would enjoy going for platinums in particular, shifting the focus more towards quality and preference vs an overall score.

So with all that out of the way, I'm unsure of which console to buy. I would like to play games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassins Creed Origins on a 4k screen but I'm not overly fussed about true 4k as long as the game runs smoothly and looks gorgeous. I'm currently far more invested in the xbox eco system in terms of money and friends And the X looks to be a great console. I think the reason why I'm so undecided is because the playstation eco system is starting to appeal to me more and more; Great exclusives, platinum trophies for achieving completion and I like the idea of having a vita for on the go, also.

Any input is greatly appreciated and thank You to anyone who has read this far! 

P.s I really enjoy this site, it's awesome! Peace :)

Edited by R--K--9

If you spend most on your time on Xbox, then the X is the obvious choice. Apparently there are a few kinks to iron out on some games, but in the long run the X will have the best versions of multiplatform games and a game like AC Origins is looking noticable better on X compared to the Pro.

When the Pro came out there were games that ran worse on it compared to the standard PS4.

Edited by soniq

20 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

It sounds like you already know the answer judging by it, and that is to buy a Xbox One X, if you are not interested in the Sony exclusives then there is no point in purchasing a PS4.

Uhm.

46 minutes ago, R--K--9 said:

So with all that out of the way, I'm unsure of which console to buy. I would like to play games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassins Creed Origins on a 4k screen but I'm not overly fussed about true 4k as long as the game runs smoothly and looks gorgeous. I'm currently far more invested in the xbox eco system in terms of money and friends And the X looks to be a great console. I think the reason why I'm so undecided is because the playstation eco system is starting to appeal to me more and more; Great exclusives, platinum trophies for achieving completion and I like the idea of having a vita for on the go, also.

Anyway, I think your money is best spent on the Xbox One X. You already have a PS4 und third party games should look better on the X.

If you however see yourself playing more on the PS4 you should go for the Pro. There are already a bunch of games that have Pro support. The X support just started and naturally there is less to play right now.

EDIT: Ok now I'm confused. Do you already own a PS4?

Edited by Joker

As you noticed, PlayStation families has a huge amount of exclusive games compared to (sadly) Xbox for years. Oh boy, there are so plenty of PS4 exclusives known and loved I can name! If you’re insterested in PS4 exclusives, consider buying a PS4.

If you search for economy, you can go for the standard PS4. Every game now and then will be played by it.

For the PS4 Pro, it’s more called “dynamic 4K”, it’s not truly 4K native but it makes sure to give the illusion of sharper and brighter images and colors. I don’t own a Pro myself, but I can tell you this. If you set your console at 1080p resolution, the console takes the free used performance of the Pro and you would get a 60fps framerate on your games. Of course, only if those games got a Pro patch, I don’t know...

If you set the resolution in 4K, many games supporting the Pro offer you different options between “performance” and “graphics”, which means the first option will lower the rendering of the game’s graphics (resolution and some minors details) and gives you a smoother 60fps famerate. The “graphics” option priories on the graphics while giving 30fps. If some old games don’t have a Pro patch, you can turn on the Boost mode (from a late software version) which boost some performance of some games, just warn that the result isn’t always the same for each game.

For the Vita, it’s pretty hard to recommend it since many exclusives back then were eventually ported to PS4 years later. Most of the Vita exclusives are J-RPGs and other Japanese games. Unless you’re a fan of Japanese stuff, you’ll have a hard time to find Vita games satisfying you. Fortunately, Indie developers still support the Vita by porting their games here, often with cross-buy and cross-save, so you can play one time on the Vita then transfer the save to the game’s cloud then proceed on the PS4.

The PS Trophy system, oh yeaaaah, simply the best achievement system ever! So many games feel more satisfying to hear the **bling** sound! Platinum trophies are simply the ultimate reward, the ultimate goal for having done everything in a game! Much more meaningful than a 1000G number.

Anyway, you choose.

Edited by Maxie Mouse

If you already own a PS4 then upgrade to X1X because that seems to be your platform of choice and as you’ve stated, you already invested a lot in gamerscore etc and that’s not transferable to ps.. if you don’t own a PS4 though, then definitely go for the pro, because ps exclusives are far superior to Xbox, I mean there’s no comp. ps has horizon zero dawn, uncharted, last of us, bloodborne to name a few. Oh and vita is not an argument, the graphics are shitty by comparison even to PS3 and there are really only a handful of good games that run well and look good. It’s really just for puzzle games and cheap indies, not AAA. AC Liberation for example was terrible. Hope that helps. 

Edited by cam_wick
Autocorrect mistype

Well, from the looks of it, just keep your Xbox One since all you play on it is Call of Duty and FIFA and upgrade to the Pro.  You have a better selection of games, and more importantly, you're going to spend less money on it.  So you can buy more games with that extra $100 (US) :) 

1 hour ago, Joker said:

If you however see yourself playing more on the PS4 you should go for the Pro. There are already a bunch of games that have Pro support. The X support just started and naturally there is less to play right now.

EDIT: Ok now I'm confused. Do you already own a PS4?

I see myself really enjoying trophies. Also, the library of exclusive games currently out and further down the line look incredible. I think what's not helping my decision is that I've invested a good amount of time and money into the Xbox eco system and the majority of my friends play there. Thing is, they play a lot of multiplayer, where as these days I tend to play mostly on my own having a blast and completing games.

I've been hoping that Nioh, Nier Automata, Hellblade and Crash Bandicoot make their way to Xbox but I'm not sure if it will ever happen. Not to mention I'd love to play Bloodborne, the Uncharted games, Horizon and the new Sucker Punch IP that's in the works. I've also never played the God of War series which looks awesome and lets also throw in Spiderman next year! What a selection on offer and in the making.

I do have access to a ps4 but it's not very convenient as it's my son's, which he plays daily. I tend to borrow it from time - to - time in the evenings and pop it back in the morning before I leave for work. Funnily enough, i remember my dad doing the same thing with my ps2 when I was growing up... I distinctly remember thinking: "Dude, just buy your own" hahaha.

If I was to invest in my own ps4 now, it would make sense for me to buy the latest iteration as it seems fairly priced. I'd also love to have a dabble with 4k gaming, but I primarily care about performance over resolution. So checkerboard is fine with me if the frame rate is stable and the game feels smooth. I think I'm more excited to experience HDR than 4k itself.

6 minutes ago, R--K--9 said:

I see myself really enjoying trophies. Also, the library of exclusive games currently out and further down the line look incredible. I think what's not helping my decision is that I've invested a good amount of time and money into the Xbox eco system and the majority of my friends play there. Thing is, they play a lot of multiplayer, where as these days I tend to play mostly on my own having a blast and completing games.

I've been hoping that Nioh, Nier Automata, Hellblade and Crash Bandicoot make their way to Xbox but I'm not sure if it will ever happen. Not to mention I'd love to play Bloodborne, the Uncharted games, Horizon and the new Sucker Punch IP that's in the works. I've also never played the God of War series which looks awesome and lets also throw in Spiderman next year! What a selection on offer and in the making.

I do have access to a ps4 but it's not very convenient as it's my son's, which he plays daily. I tend to borrow it from time - to - time in the evenings and pop it back in the morning before I leave for work. Funnily enough, i remember my dad doing the same thing with my ps2 when I was growing up... I distinctly remember thinking: "Dude, just buy your own" hahaha.

If I was to invest in my own ps4 now, it would make sense for me to buy the latest iteration as it seems fairly priced. I'd also love to have a dabble with 4k gaming, but I primarily care about performance over resolution. So checkerboard is fine with me if the frame rate is stable and the game feels smooth. I think I'm more excited to experience HDR than 4k itself.

Well, there you go :lol: 

• Like 1

If you say that your friends playing MP on Xbox but you rather playing with them and Play for your own I would say you should buy the System with the most exclusive titles you want to Play. I switched from xbox 360 to PS4 and not regret it so far. Sure all my friends also own a PS4 but i never Play with them MP because I hate it :P  So just bought whats get you thrilled and maybe in the next Generation xbox is the console that suits you more. I wouldn´t really care if my friends Play on a Xbox if I´m not playing with them because of interests.

But be Aware I read that Microsoft are Aware of their fault of so Little exclusive titles so I guess they want to open a lot of Studios for exclusive titles for Xbox but that could also take some time maybe until the next consols  are releasing :) 

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to give it a bit more thought over the weekend whilst I'm not working and go from there. As it stands, I'm liking the thought of the pro in white and maybe a switch instead of the vita. Will be keeping my Xbox one s - if I don't buy the X. :)

Edited by R--K--9

If you already own a PS4 I wouldn't bother with a Pro unless you can recoup a large portion of the cost. I upgraded and the difference is negligible unless the game is bumped up to a solid 60 fps, The checkerboard 4K thing is a bit of a gimmick. I much prefer the Sony ecosystem though, and collecting trophies is way more rewarding to me then points. Not to mention the exclusives are way way better  

I made a thread about this in the off topic section over at the Playstationtrophies.org forums. Most people said to me that the Pro isn't worth the investment unless you don't already own a PS4.

My advice to you is pick what you feel you're most comfortable with. Some people like the Pro for the enhanced graphics and 60 frames per second, others are good with the standard PS4. I've seen footage of Horizon Zero Dawn played on a 4K TV at a Best Buy store, but I don't think the investment is entirely worth the price tag.

I used to really enjoy the Xbox consoles, especially the 360 because it was the first console to offer achievements. It was definitely fun to earn achievements in games whereas the PS3 when it first released had no such achievements. The Xbox One fiasco back in 2013 pulled me away from Microsoft consoles. It had some potentially great exclusives that weren't Halo or Forza, but ended up being cancelled. Phil Spencer is not the guy to be running the show, given his commentary of single player games being pushed out in place of multiplayer. Yet we see Horizon Zero Dawn make a big splash on the market. Assassins Creed Origins is doing great right now and that is entirely single player.

Decide for yourself if you want to settle for a Pro. If you have a lot of friends using a Xbox console then I will suggest playing with them to have some fun and laughter. Do what you feel is best.

15 hours ago, Maxie Mouse said:

If you set the resolution in 4K, many games supporting the Pro offer you different options between “performance” and “graphics”, which means the first option will lower the rendering of the game’s graphics (resolution and some minors details) and gives you a smoother 60fps famerate. The “graphics” option priories on the graphics while giving 30fps. If some old games don’t have a Pro patch, you can turn on the Boost mode (from a late software version) which boost some performance of some games, just warn that the result isn’t always the same for each game.

It's worth it to get the Pro first and wait a bit for X1X.  PS4's lineup of exclusive games interests me more than X1's.  I'll give X1 a point for backward compatibility with 360.

When buying PS4 Pro, I had performance in mind more than graphic quality.  4K sounds nice but I'd settle for 1080p to get 60 FPS (like Nioh's action mode).