PS4 Not Playing PS3 Games... So What Now?

Cryogenicide_X

So now that we all know about the PS4 not playing our PS3 games, what are you going to do now? What i mean is, i feel like that any game that comes out between now and the PS4 release is kind of not worth it and a waste of money because the PS4 can't play it anyway when it comes out.

I know all you guys will say ''You just keep your PS3'', true but when the PS4 is out it is more likely that you will be on that instead of the PS3 anyway.

So i just wanted to know what all you guys are going to do because this is the way i feel at least anyway about the situation with the PS4 not playing PS3 games.

• Like 1

I'll do what I always do when a new console generation comes around. I'll still buy the games I want to buy (though I am trying to hold back this year, I have way too many games already) and when the PS4 is released I'll buy it day one and when the launch titles lose their luster I'll finish some of my PS3 games.

Parker

So now that we all know about the PS4 not playing our PS3 games, what are you going to do now? What i mean is, i feel like that any game that comes out between now and the PS4 release is kind of not worth it and a waste of money because the PS4 can't play it anyway when it comes out.

I have a similar view point. I will keep my PS3 for as long as it works. But I don't think I'm going to be buying and more PS3 titles that aren't digital copies. It should be a simple process for Sony to acknowledge what digital games you purchased and make them available when they add them to Gaikai. (That's making the assumption that we won't have to repurchase them.) How Sony can go about to verify that the disc copies are actually mine and not like a copy I borrowed from a friend I don't know. As it stands now I have more than enough games the I haven't beaten or even played. So I'll be busy and still behind what I would like to play when the PS4 comes out.

Hopefully it won't takes years to get PS1, PS2 & PS3 games on Gaikai and there should be no shortage of new games to keep me busy in the meantime.

I just picked up Crysis 3, I'll probably pick up The Last of Us, but other than that, I will not be spending any more money on my ps3. I'll take the opportunity between now and Christmas to make my way through my backlog, physical and digital, and in the mean time start saving my pennies for the Ps4. Not going to commit to buy it yet though, there's a lot of questions Sony have to answer first...

I think im just going to wait, it seems they just want to get the system out as soon as possible and that's why there dropping backwards compatibility. They even said that they wouldn't have those features at LANCH, so i still think there is hope for the future. Im sure in a year or so the second wave of ps4s will be cheaper and will be able to play all of the classics we know and love.

THEQXD.png

I think im just going to wait, it seems they just want to get the system out as soon as possible and that's why there dropping backwards compatibility. They even said that they wouldn't have those features at LANCH, so i still think there is hope for the future. Im sure in a year or so the second wave of ps4s will be cheaper and will be able to play all of the classics we know and love.

You will never be able to play your ps3 disc games on a ps4 console. With the structure of the processor being completely different, a hardware solution would be way too expensive (as it was with the ps3 phat and ps2 games). If they introduce a gaikai streaming service for ps3 games on launch, they will not look for a different solution to the problem, why would they? Say they would find a cheap way to let you play your ps3 disc games on ps4 version 2 or 3, you would have no need for the gaikai service anymore and they spent a lot of money on that deal.

Anyway, to get back to topic:

I have about 130 ps3 disc games, so i'm definitely not gonna sell my ps3, but neither would I sell my snes, n64, ps2 or any other gaming system. I will buy the ps4 when it launches and all launch titles that look worth it and depending on how well the gaikai service is running and at what price point, I will keep my ps3 connected to the tv on a different channel, same as my ps2 right now (and yes, I do still use my ps2 from time to time).

Edited by KaBeeM

Sadly we can't play PS3 games on PS4.

I'll still buy PS3 games if I feel I'm going to like it and there are still lots of PS3 games that I want to try. Time is the biggest problem for me.

PS4 won't have lots of games at begining and its hardware might have some problems. So seriously I'll wait like a year for a refined version of PS4.

Edited by JKDdragonwithin
  • Like 1

I'm going to do what I've almost always done. I keep playing my current system until I think it's worth getting the next console. For the PS2 it was over a year after release and PS3 I only got after the slim came out. I'm still having a great time with my current games on PS3 that I'm in absolutely no hurry for the PS4 at this point. I'd rather wait for a hardware update and a bigger game collection before jumping in.

Edited by Aipher

PS3 has such a big library that I will still be buying games 1-2 years after PS4 launch. That wont stop me from getting the system day 1 launch day with warranty if hardware starts acting up. Killzone 4 and Infamous ps4 titles give me enough reason not to worry about launch titles also not a collector so as im finishing up with the PS3 games i will sell them to fund for the PS4 titles. Its called the circle of life.