Help me understand quantity over quality ?

Hvalpen

5 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Those guys are trophy whores. They stack several dozen Japanese visual novels for quick platinums. Keep in mind that you have to import them, and they cost a lot of money. They're on the top of the leaderboards, but I wouldn't consider them good players because anyone can stack those games as well. 

They have a high disposable income which is why they have such a high trophy count and loads of visual novels. 

My advice is to play what you want to play. What people need to ask is are they really getting enjoyment out of speeding through such games? Especially when the text is Japanese and they don't understand what the hell is going on? 

I decided that going that route is a waste of my time and money. So I've basically gone with what I want to play and achieve. Not chase after some high ranking on a leaderboard that only a select few people care about. If you understand Japanese and enjoy visual novels, that's great. These people just play them to get a quick platinum, and that's basically it.

This exactly. 

16 minutes ago, spazza136 said:

Yeah you don't need to understand/like/agree that people play easy games or whatever.

You just need to understand the words "Each to their own" (My parents taught me that, Thanks Mum and Dad)

If someone is doing something they enjoy that isn't illegal/unethical/wrongs someone ask yourself: Is there a logical reason I should care about this?

By this logic you should barely ask somebody anything, ever. If somebody likes an odd sport..lets say Curling then i would ask them "Why do you like curling so much?"

• Like 3

I only play quality games and games i really enjoy playing. Games i am really happy to buy, like throw money at the developer for making such an awsome game :)

For me does not matter how hard the game is, i'll play it as longest the game is good :) Theres 4 games i really regret starting. And even regret getting plat on couple of them. But then again 2 of them are really ULTRA hard, i dont think i can get em done. 

But i am not wasting my time on games like visual novels just for trophies, not my type of games either. I dont play everything JUST for trophies. 

EXAMPLE: If i see a profile with 700 platts, and 600 of them are visual novels. I AM REALLY LOUGHING MY ASS OFF!! REALLY..... And then i say to my self like wooow, i am really not impressed at all...... But if i see a profile with 100 platts. and see games similiar to mine and their average rarity is between 40 and 50, im impressed like :) But anyways just my thought about it tho... 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, CjShai said:

I am still to meet a "top" player that is a degenerate. Most of them own almost every game, both what in your opinion would constitute great and trash. They can hold great conversation and are very helpful and generous to those in turn.

It's an expensive hobby at that level, usually predicated on the one having a good job and a high work ethic. Obviously intelligence is a given. Now I am not implying hunters that don't rank "highly" on the leaderboards are opposite but all I know is these threads are never started by top players ................ perhaps you not understanding is more a reflection on you than them

Are you real right now? Firstly, i stated that i was in no way a top player. That being said, calling many of the top people on the leaderboard "great players" would also be a joke. Not sure why you drag intelligence into this, but since you do...why would i take intelligence to use your money to fire away at no brainer 15minute games and visual novels? You could take a guy with 10 platinums who would be x100 more skilled than the top leaderboard guys if those ten plats was stuff like super meat boy, lichtspeer, olliolli, trials, wolfenstein 2, crypt of the necrodancer and so on. I really wish your post was sarcasm, but the words before all the dots make me think otherwise

EDIT: Checked your profile, now i understand why you felt targeted...

EDIT 2: Fully aware that trials is 100% and not a plat

Edited by Hvalpen
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chris Hansen said:

EXAMPLE: If i see a profile with 700 platts, and 600 of them are visual novels. I AM REALLY LOUGHING MY ASS OFF!! REALLY..... And then i say to my self like wooow, i am really not impressed at all...... But if i see a profile with 100 platts. and see games similiar to mine and their average rarity is between 40 and 50, im impressed like :) But anyways just my thought about it tho... 

Yeah but the guy with 700 plats has 600 crappy games but in the other 100 there are problably games you and I wont ever get. 

For example Roughdawg4 (1st on the leaderboard) has 150+ UR platinums. Just because he has also 800-1000 shitty plats it becomes a non-impressive account? 

• Like 3

Well, I cant say for the quantity type people, because I'm definitely not one. I don't even trophy hunt all the time. I've been playing Folklore for the last week and a half. It doesn't even have trophies. I also casually play games that I've plat ages ago. So, as far as the quality of the plats/100% I have go, that's not up to me to decide. I just play what I enjoy and try to fulfill all the challenges they throw at me, trophies included.

I also question why some gamers chose not to challenge themselves, but ultimately, it's up to them what they do with their free time. As long as they enjoy themselves, it's all good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Well, I cant say for the quantity type people, because I'm definitely not one. I don't even trophy hunt all the time. I've been playing Folklore for the last week and a half. It doesn't even have trophies. I also casually play games that I've plat ages ago. So, as far as the quality of the plats/100% I have go, that's not up to me to decide. I just play what I enjoy and try to fulfill all the challenges they throw at me, trophies included.

I also question why some gamers chose not to challenge themselves, but ultimately, it's up to them what they do with their free time. As long as they enjoy themselves, it's all good.

I agree and thats exactly my question. Why sink HOURS into crap games like tapping a mayo jar instead of challenging yourself and overcoming an obstacle. THATS what i dont get

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Winston said:

Yeah but the guy with 700 plats has 600 crappy games but in the other 100 there are problably games you and I wont ever get. 

For example Roughdawg4 (1st on the leaderboard) has 150+ UR platinums. Just because he has also 800-1000 shitty plats it becomes a non-impressive account? 

Yeah i know, ive checked hes commons. But annyways what im saying tho if people wanna play and not to mention waste their money on those visual novels, go ahead :) It is just not my cup of tea like, What im trying to say, that i do like a profile with 100plats, and average rarity under 50 over a profile with 700 plats and average rarity thats almost on 80 :P 

But to say my rarity will allways be under 40. Since im only playing games i enjoy, and i dont care about leaderboards either, maybe a little bit about my country rank tho :)

Edited by Chris Hansen
  • Like 1

I feel more satisfied when completing a game like Demon's Souls, but I just can't bring myself to ignore some of those slam dunk plats.  The thing is, even if the game is not all that great, I have fun just collecting trophies. I think having fun is what it's all about, as many have stated above.

• Like 2

Is curiosity how question like this draw a lot of people... When you became a Trophy Hunter I suppost you know the reason behind your desition and what type of trophy hunter you want be? If the answer is NO think about that... You just want a lot of trophies and platinum? ok in two months (maybe one) you can get 100 platinums, it is nice? I dont know maybe for you it is nice. Or you want play your favorite games and find all trophies because you feel them are your friends and you really love all them? - Ok, nice! Or you want prove your limite and play hard games/platinums with a lot of time because you like challenge? Again good for you! At the end is your time, games and money, just enjoy what you do when hunter trophies, Quality or Quantity? think what is better for you (: At the end nobody can tell you "You are a bad trophy hunter" because here you can find people who defend quantity and others how defend quality.

Edited by AlchemistWer
  • Like 2