Help me understand quantity over quality ?

Hvalpen

5 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

Having a rarity leaderboard would help to rate 'quality' trophies.  I am over 40k on the leaderboard, but under the current rarity board, I am under 15k.  Folks with hoards of trophies still get rewarded, but it evens the playing field a lot.

Link to rarity board?

I'd say cause quantity is immediatly apparent to anyone with a quick glance, but quality takes a longer look and a basic understand of the subject.

Let's say you show around to your friends that you have 100 plats, everybody's gonna be impressed even if they're all sound shapes and my name is mayo.

Show around your profile with the 15 hardest plats on playstation, only other trophie hunters are gonna know what this is worth.

• Like 2

Just now, thekiffer21 said:

I'd say cause quantity is immediatly apparent to anyone with a quick glance, but quality takes a longer look and a basic understand of the subject.

Let's say you show around to your friends that you have 100 plats, everybody's gonna be impressed even if they're all sound shapes and my name is mayo.

Show around your profile with the 15 hardest plats on playstation, only other trophie hunters are gonna know what this is worth.

Pretty good point

10 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

Link to rarity board?

https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/rarity

It's not an official thing though. Just basically a prototype that Sly put up whilst thinking about the exact formula he was gonna use. People didn't like this formula being used atm too much as it still rewarded people with a lot of uncommon/rare trophies quite a lot.

Also you'll notice that some of the top people are private accounts, these are just hackers but don't come off the leaderboard due to some bug in the system.

It's been there a while and there's been nothing mentioned recently about making it official so I'm doubtful it will be, a shame really imo.

Edited by zajac9999
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

I totally agree. As i pointed out several times, its more when you look at peoples trophy list and you feel like that cant possibly be fun. Like Hannah Montana, Mayo, 6x SaS, 1k J novels etc. try to sell me the "Maybe they find it fun" all you want but i wont buy it.

Its not so much the games, but the fact that they get trophies. Thats fun. Seeing those icons pop up can be pretty fun on its own regardless what trash youre playing.

I just play what i'm in the mood for, therefore my account looks like a quantity account because sometimes i want to get trophies as quick as possible and easy games are great for that. I'll switch between AAA games and easier titles often, the difference is that on average if i want to i could complete 5 easy games in the time i complete 1 AAA game. Therefore it looks like i have a quantity account. I don't play VN's though, not my type of game.

• Like 2

With me it’s kind of a mix, I own a bunch of easy plats but on the other hand I also got shadow warrior, furi, hard reset and a couple more hard ones. Just because someone stacks their easy plats or plays “shitty” games doesn’t make them less of a trophy hunter. Everyone is in it for their own reasons so just learn to respect that.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Help me understand why people care so much about other people's profiles ?

That is something I ask myself sometimes. Why do some people feel the need to "insult" people with lots of easy platinums? I don't get it. The only person who needs to be happy about your profile is you, and that's all there is to it. 

Sure, there are people with platinums that would be impossible for me, and when I look at their profile I am like "Wow, they must be pretty good! I wouldn't be able to do that."

I think I'm a pretty average player with a weird taste of games (Well, that is what other people say at least), but I never felt the need to hunt for UR. I'm still happy with my own profile :)

• Like 3

@Hvalpen everyone has different tastes.  Hell, some people like to eat ass :lol:  Some folks have crappy taste, but it's whatever.  If they want to play crappy games and play fifteen minute plat games, so be it.  To each their  own mang.  Nothing too serious IMO.

Edited by grimydawg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Goddamnit. I don't have either. I always knew I was a scrub, I just needed proof.

*hangs head low as he walks away, a single tear slowly running down his cheek

OMG HE'S RIGHT!!!!!! I don't measure up to the unwritten standards of millions of anonymous people!!!!?

/curls up in a fetal position in a corner crying uncontrollably 

But seriously, some care and some don't.  Just do what makes you happy. 

Whores will be Whores lol

58 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I do. After all, why would I come to a trophy hunting site if I didn't care about trophy hunting? Maybe the conversation? xD

The problem isn't that people look at other people's profiles, or make comparisons. Hell, the problem isn't even when someone shakes their head at another person's trophy collection.

The problem is the need to grandstand, publicly, making relative statements, but insisting that they're absolutes, and it's prevalent over the entirety of the internet. I mean, how many times has this very thread appeared here, in one form or another?

• Like 3

@Lucas

because the sad truth is we compare ourselves in almost everything these days.
Who has a better car, who has the best clothing who has a better job. I guess it's in our system to do these things. Even though I would say I don't do it I probably do it anyways without knowing it. More platinums is bigger internet swag I suppose.
(I like to bash my irl friends though who only play FIFA since 2013 with 0 platinums and how they suck at gaming but that's all in a friendly way)

• Like 1

The line between quantity over quality or quality over quantity is finer than you think.

Those who go for quantity are proud of their trophy count regardless of the game they play. Would someone play some of these games if there weren't trophies, probably not. Have they enjoyed playing an easy game just for trophies, maybe at the beginning, but at the end, probably not, they are just glad they have the trophy.

Those who go for quality are proud of the Ultra Rare trophies they earn. Would someone attempt some of the massive hurdles and time sync's in games if there wasn't a trophy waiting at the end of it, probably not. Did they enjoy investing all this time in a trophy, maybe at the beginning, but at the end, probably not, they are just glad they have the trophy.

Not much of a difference is there, we're just universally happy to hear that "ping".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Dude you just opened the box of pandora! As long as you don't agree with the mantra "everybody is in this game for different reasons" they gonna roast you!

It's like a personal attack for many to point out their shitty games and their obsession with a hige amount of piss poor platinums. Now you have to tolerate everything, otherwise

you are this ignorant idiot who has an attitude like a trophy hunter from 2009. This is something, this platform does not wan't so see anymore. 

So please assess a platinum in My Name Is Mayo with the same value as a platinum in Catherine okay?

Shots fired.

I like them shots.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Depends, like anything.

I "care" in terms of "it interests me". Since it lets me see other people's interests and what they invest their time into, or don't. My profile easily speaks to my inability to commit to a lot of games without needing to talk to me about it. And it represents what kind of things I'm interested in, just not the reasons.

I think that kind of thing is interesting, and I like to compare what my friends play with what I do and what trophies they get vs what I get and how fast. It's all interesting to me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bilpe said:

I think the more interesting conversation is how one's approach to trophy hunting changes and evolves over time.  I've gone through several phases over about nine years, the most recent of which is trying to get my percentages up and unearned trophies down.  But again, I can't resist the easy plats.  I just try to balance those out against the grindy stuff.

This is a thread I would be interested in reading. My perceptions of trophy hunting seem to constantly evolve, I think that is the attraction for me. I wonder if it is our ability not to be concerened with completion that allow us the freedom to move between phases. 

3 hours ago, zajac9999 said:

https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/rarity

It's not an official thing though. Just basically a prototype that Sly put up whilst thinking about the exact formula he was gonna use. People didn't like this formula being used atm too much as it still rewarded people with a lot of uncommon/rare trophies quite a lot.

Also you'll notice that some of the top people are private accounts, these are just hackers but don't come off the leaderboard due to some bug in the system.

It's been there a while and there's been nothing mentioned recently about making it official so I'm doubtful it will be, a shame really imo.

I sure didnt know about the rarity board :)

Personally I have quite a few easy trophies on my list due to having done events in the past on another website for trophy hunting. They helped me finish the events, where as if I didn't have those games, I most likely would not have finished the event that I was trying to do. Really, sometimes people have some trash games due to them having to do some events. Some people play quite a few quality games, and only have "Trash tier" games or multi-pops on their list because of trophy events. The only exception being those way in the top hundred buying every easy game possible to stay at the top.

• Like 1

Why not both? Quantity and quality? I play all kind of games , easy , hard , grindy , quick ones . Sometimes i play games i just have fun with , without thinking about trophies. At the end of the day i just collect them for my self. If you remove all the easy games from my list i would still have over 100 plats im "proud" of :) .  Im not stacking Jp VN , because i dont have money for it and i dont want spend my free time with skipping text 6-10 h a day.  But here and there i enjoy an easy Plat like "my name is mayo" or telltale games.

Im not at top and with this style i will never be up there. But i dont care ^_^ .  I absolutly understand both ways , quantity and quality . BUT you can also go both ways ;) .