Help me understand quantity over quality ?

Hvalpen

It's funny, too, how one player's easy plat is another's nightmare.  I damn near gave myself tennis elbow getting the Severed platinum today.  I know it's only an uncommon, but jeez I worked my ass off to finish that thing.  I am in awe of those folks that finished the game in 5-10 hours.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Superbuu3 said:

In all fairness most of what he said made sense, I'm not sure if the definition of 'spam' is used differently elsewhere. I think his main point was people try to attain trophies that are rare just as much as they try to accumulate a huge quantity of trophies. Both aren't a natural reflection of what that persons gaming habits woud be without trophies. Although maybe I missed the point.

I always assumed people who had purely ultra rare trophy lists, were playing games on other accounts or skipping out on fun games because of their rarity, both kind of defeat the purpose of a trophy profile as its not a true representation of that person.

EDIT: is the site fucking up posts for anyone else? I keep double posting.

10 hours ago, GoDBoss173 said:

Like I wrote earlier, I understand you , yes SMB, necromancer deserve much more respect than mayo, etc, no questions.

Lets say you have 100 plats in games like soulsborne, deadspace2 ....-> you have 0 UR trophies, but the plats are not easy

On the other side there a many easy games with 5-6 UR per list.

You say only players with lots of UR/VR are (real) trophy hunters, do you see what I want to say?

You´re playing lots of challenging games, I respect that but many are only ok/mediocre games, it seems like you are avoiding good ones because the lists are too easy.

I just want to know where you set the border, it sounds like everyone without tons of UR isnt a (real) trophy hunter, just a spammer

I have  no mayo, nubla, VN plats or double plats,  but only 33 UR out of 4000 trophies ( almost every AAA game with ca 50 trophies has 10-20 commons)

So you mean gamers like me ( atleast 50-60% of the gamers here) are Spam hunters as well?

I like both of your accounts for a start. 
You're correct when you say that the accounts that purely go for URs skip out on fun games and or play on alts. They're not genuine reflections of someones gaming history.

So if you're a total purist, the spam account and the UR only account would be equally missing the point so to speak. 
My point is and I'll leave humor out of it just for a second, you'll see accounts with 200-500 plats and they say 15000 trophies and 35 UR trophies. You know how hard that is to do? 
You have to actively avoid anything remotely challenging to get numbers like that and you look at their plat list in their trophy log and it's just unimpressive plat after unimpressive plat. 
It's boring, there's no reason to actually go through their trophy log, their trophy log is just spam; hence me calling them spam hunters. 
If you have an account with 100 plats, my name is mayo, mortal kombat, top rated and Injustice and the rest are mainstream games, uncharted, dead space, god of war, the telltale games, sly and ratchet and clank ect then in my opinion your account is decent and worth a look through. 
If it's just 75%+ common and uncommon plats and stacks, is anyone really going to look through that trophy log and be like? Damn, good job on x and y. 

No one is doing that because those accounts suck, they just hunt the super easy stuff and they've made their trophy log uninteresting spam. 

In the end people should just do what they want ofc, but this is a forum based on trophy hunting. If we all said "we have no opinion, have fun!" then this forum wouldn't be interesting at all. 
So that's my opinion, the spam hunters have accounts not worth paying attention to. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AlphaTrash said:

If it's just 75%+ common and uncommon plats and stacks, is anyone really going to look through that trophy log and be like? Damn, good job on x and y. 

No one is doing that because those accounts suck, they just hunt the super easy stuff and they've made their trophy log uninteresting spam.

Oh yeah completely, I mean I have tried glancing at a couple of peoples accounts at the top, but its impossible to even care. I mean admittedly some of the guys at the top have played a lot of hard games too, but the number of times i see 3+ copies of the same VN is kind of offputting to even look further than that.

I mean i'm not sure if i'm weird or not many of people have said I am, but I kind of like seeing a full trophy list with incomplete games so I can be like oh that kind of game bores that person. It kind of gives a bit of personality to the profile. Like I know on my profile I got 3 Ben 10 games I played them with my nephew and one of those 3 was so bad even playing with a kid who's a huge fan of the game we couldn't be bothered to finish it, its kinda funny. For the record I enjoyed the other 2 quite a bit.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2017 at 9:51 AM, Lucas said:

Help me understand why people care so much about other people's profiles ?

On 10/11/2017 at 10:18 AM, Izul said:

That is something I ask myself sometimes. Why do some people feel the need to "insult" people with lots of easy platinums? I don't get it. The only person who needs to be happy about your profile is you, and that's all there is to it. 

Sure, there are people with platinums that would be impossible for me, and when I look at their profile I am like "Wow, they must be pretty good! I wouldn't be able to do that."

I think I'm a pretty average player with a weird taste of games (Well, that is what other people say at least), but I never felt the need to hunt for UR. I'm still happy with my own profile :)

OMG!! Thanks! :D i have been waiting for this! ?

Oh and the accs of the top, some have URs of games i had no idea even existed :facepalm: But seriosly at this point My name is Mayo is starting to become a "taboo" plat ? because it's soooooooo much trashed, omg, lol. I might buy it and hunt it just because, you know. lol Overall, i think people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. It's okay to be competitive and admire someone that has a hard plat, competition is fun, i respect ppl that have the evil within's plat, that game is crazy (for exemple.) But shaming other players... come on ppl.

Edited by BG_painter
  • Like 1

I don’t get why anyone would hunt trophies to impress others, but to each their own. Personally, I collect stuff I have fun doing and if someone else doesn’t consider the same games fun as me then who cares? Just because someone is bitter and has to belittle other people’s choices in games doesn’t make their own games any better. So stop worrying about others and just do things you enjoy.

41 minutes ago, Demon--Prototype said:

What a few people also don't realise is how relaxing a few shitty plats can be after going through hell with some trophies so you cant categorize everyone.

Most definitely. I have 100% these games this year (in this order):

• Super Street Fighter 4 (started in a previous year)
  • Borderlands 2 (started in a previous year)
  • Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
  • Dragons Dogma
  • Dead Space 2
  • Demons Souls
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (started in a previous year)
  • Kingdoms of Amalur

Every one of these games are either time consuming or extremely challenging, there's not a single quick game there. From a trophy perspective I'm proud with what I've achieved but it also took the fun out of gaming. If I'd split it up with some quick, easy and fun platinums it would have felt less like a chore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demon--Prototype said:

What a few people also don't realise is how relaxing a few shitty plats can be after going through hell with some trophies so you cant categorize everyone.

Yeah, I'm having timeout from AC:Origins. Not because it's difficult, but more because I got a bit bored of traipsing around the desert. Besides, my trophy haul wasn't going up! ;)

12 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

Every one of these games are either time consuming or extremely challenging, there's not a single quick game there. From a trophy perspective I'm proud with what I've achieved but it also took the fun out of gaming. If I'd split it up with some quick, easy and fun platinums it would have felt less like a chore.

This is the one thing that annoys me most about some games. Although I'm not really a Completionist, if I think 100% is achievable (at my skills level), I'll push for it, but devs seem to be putting more & more annoying, grindy trophies in. I don't mind a few 'Kill 50 with X weapon', because it forces me to try a weapon I might not normally want to use, but all too often they set stupidly high numbers for every weapon, or (as in Elite Dangerous) a stupidly high number of levels to achieve online.

All too often, I've had a cracking time playing a game, but then been left with a couple of trophies that make me despise the game by the end. Sure, I could do what my none trophy hunter friends do; play the game, enjoy, move on, but you know that feeling when you're only 2 trophies away from that plat', eh?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

Most definitely. I have 100% these games this year (in this order):

• Super Street Fighter 4 (started in a previous year)
  • Borderlands 2 (started in a previous year)
  • Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
  • Dragons Dogma
  • Dead Space 2
  • Demons Souls
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (started in a previous year)
  • Kingdoms of Amalur

Nice work man! Especially SSF4, those trials.. fuckin hell lol

It can definitely take the fun out of gaming but its also made me appreciate quite a few games a lot more due to the 100%

2 minutes ago, Xemik said:

Yeah, I'm having timeout from AC:Origins. Not because it's difficult, but more because I got a bit bored of traipsing around the desert. Besides, my trophy haul wasn't going up! ;)

This is the one thing that annoys me most about some games. Although I'm not really a Completionist, if I think 100% is achievable (at my skills level), I'll push for it, but devs seem to be putting more & more annoying, grindy trophies in. I don't mind a few 'Kill 50 with X weapon', because it forces me to try a weapon I might not normally want to use, but all too often they set stupidly high numbers for every weapon, or (as in Elite Dangerous) a stupidly high number of levels to achieve online.

All too often, I've had a cracking time playing a game, but then been left with a couple of trophies that make me despise the game by the end. Sure, I could do what my none trophy hunter friends do; play the game, enjoy, move on, but you know that feeling when you're only 2 trophies away from that plat', eh?

Im suprised to hear it got boring, with it looking so pretty and all lol and i agree, few games get the trophy requirements right to find the 100% journey enjoyable.

But yeah thats another reason why its good to smash out a few easy games cause you start plummeting down the leaderboard lol

Oh and do i know that feeling.. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demon--Prototype said:

Nice work man! Especially SSF4, those trials.. fuckin hell lol

It can definitely take the fun out of gaming but its also made me appreciate quite a few games a lot more due to the 100%

Im suprised to hear it got boring, with it looking so pretty and all lol and i agree, few games get the trophy requirements right to find the 100% journey enjoyable.

But yeah thats another reason why its good to smash out a few easy games cause you start plummeting down the leaderboard lol

Oh and do i know that feeling.. ?

Until Dawn Rush of blood platinum awesome ! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bilpe said:

It's funny, too, how one player's easy plat is another's nightmare.  I damn near gave myself tennis elbow getting the Severed platinum today.  I know it's only an uncommon, but jeez I worked my ass off to finish that thing.  I am in awe of those folks that finished the game in 5-10 hours.

Yup. To this day, I can't fathom how people have such an easy time with Strider. I am God-awful at it.

By the way, a lot of people have brought up the "Soulsborne" games. Let's be clear - the games themselves are hard (at least playing solo), but the plats are pretty easy, requiring only the base game and some collection nonsense. Further, if you don't play solo, you can call in helpers to carry you through hard boss battles, and even to drop tons of armor/weapons/rings for you. The reason they aren't UR, or even VR, is because they aren't of that caliber, plain and simple.

Now, Pier Solar on the other hand, is a very easy game, but a brutal plat, because they added a single, non-essential minigame to the list. You either beat that minigame (TWICE), or you don't get the plat.

And of course, a game like SMB is both difficult to play AND difficult to plat, due to the further artificial difficulty added to the trophies (namely, beating 20 consecutive levels without dying).

Edited by starcrunch061

It's funny really, I agree but disagree. I think it's fine to play easy games if you enjoy them (any telltale game, Uncharted, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, etc) the point is you enjoy them and they are recognized as a fun game or at least you had fun. Now, if you take the same game and platinum it 3 times (auto pop most of the trophies) it's stupid and has devalued the entire trophy system. If your basing quality off of trophy rarity keep in mind that certain games will have higher rarity just because they were free or super popular(Cod, etc) where The walking dead Season one is a super easy(unmissable platinum), but a great quality written game. Then there are games like Terminator Salvation (Yes I rented it) where the only reason you get it is for the plat.

I was totally in awe of the people at the top of the leaderboard.  I thought "wow, I wish I had enough time and money to play all these games and be halfway good at them". I'll never be this good, damn.

Then the realization that that quite a few of these games were the same ones, but on different platforms, some could be finished or plat in less than an hour, etc, etc.  It put it in perspective: you don't have to be the best player in the world to have 1M trophies, just play a bunch of games!  Made me smile and I stopped beating myself up over it. Now I just game when I can, whether it takes me 2 days or 2 months to finish a game. 

I suppose we could have a leaderboard with only certain games allowed on it due to complexity or difficulty.  But, that takes away the fun factor.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 10:55 PM, AlphaTrash said:

One player has an account worth respecting and paying attention to, the other has an account that's a fucking meme and an expensive meme at that. 

The reason some people value quality over quantity is because it's now super easy to get 300+ plats in a year. So the amount of 'quantity' required to be respectable is just astronomical now. 

Anyone with time and money can do it. Not everyone can do super meat boy, Super street fighter, Nuclear Throne or Crypt of the Necrodancer for example. 

Anything that's easily achievable isn't respectable. Only the hard stuff gets you respect, works the same in life too. 

I look forward to the day we roast  the trophy hunting memes in our ranks.  

Nothing wrong with a few easy games here and there after completing a hard game, I can understand and relate to that. (My account is garbage thanks to that very way of behaving m8).

When you have hundreds of plats, thousands of commons and 50 URs, your account is just spam at that point. 

We should call those guys Spam Hunters going forward. 

I knew I wasn't a trophy hunter, I just couldn't find the right words to place what I am...spam hunter...has a nice ring to it. Also, now I'm hungry.

• Like 3

Let me just point something out:

Easy Platinums does not equal "trash game" and Hard trophies doesn't mean Quality game.

That being said, I think the quantity over quality is because of bragging rights, "Oh I have 500 platinums YO"

I think the intent is clear in many lists, I can accept you saying you enjoyed playing the Telltale games, Stein gate and all that, but playing those games 6 times, that can't be enjoyable right??

I look at my list, 88 platinums(not much), all the games that I have I play them thinking it is going to be fun or good, now some of those were a huge dissapointment, like Albedo, a terrible game, that for some reason when I saw a Staypationt video saying it was terrible but easy, I look at the footage that was rolling and I was like "That doesn't look bad, puzzle game? sign me up" bought the game on a sale and play it, 5 minutes later and 4 trophies already poped, I was like "well, this is shit, but I already started and spent money on it, so I might as well just do it". Alone with you, will probably be another game that I didn't like because there was almost 0 game mechanics and the story was weird and not very good.

Other than that I had fun with every game, (I have SoundShapes triple up, but that really is a game that you go for all the trophies in one console, turn on the other consoles and just sync the cloud and that's it, surprisingly that is like a "feature" of this game).

I guess what I am saying is, context matters, if someone has 150 plats and he has like 15 trash games that are full of memes and stuff, at the end of the day there is something fun about playing bad games from time to time, so I think that is ok, but if the majority or half of those plats are just bad games with memes, then I would say that they probably are just worried for quantity and not quality, more than that I think they will look back one day and say "man I could have played so many good games and new experiences and instead of that I just grinded Stein Gate 7 times.

For those curious, for Easy platinums that are not trash, I would recommend the classics Arcade Collection and The Sexy Brutale, those I got the platinum recently, and are very enjoyable and easy.

• Like 2