Help me understand quantity over quality ?

Hvalpen

12 hours ago, Xemik said:

My son's sub-account was attached to mine till he was 18! Only took Sony TEN+ years to allow sub-accounts to be taken over when their owner turned 16. 1f63c.png

This is good to know.  Thanks.  But that would mean an additional PS Plus purchase every year...?

9 hours ago, Facas said:

Some people claim that is impossivel for you to have fun doing the the same platinum again. or play the ps3 and ps4 versions of the same game. but the true is that you can have fun finishing the same game 2 or 3 times.

Or five times, or ten times, or hundreds of times. This is what speedruns are made of. But yes, this is exactly what I meant although I probably didn't make myself too clear first time round :)

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

I know I'm generalising but a few people I've boosted with or have been on my friends list.

I sometimes ask them why they play crappy or easy platinums, and they genuinely seem to enjoy it, but sadly it's a gambling addictive sort of way. Whether it be alone and single, or in a deadend job, these people the popping ding of trophies seems to be the happiest moment in their lives. So in that way, I guess, we just have to let them go for it. If people playing for massive trophies on some online leaderboard is the happiest thing in their life, then that's great.

One of my friends actually abandoned his level 49 or so trophy list to start again from scratch and this time "Play games I want to play"...

I mean if you play games just for trophies, then maybe you're playing games for the wrong reason. Just saying. For me, I try to get 100% or plat whereever I can, but i'm not going to play shitty games or break my balls just for some rare trophy that means nothing in real life. Playing games is for fun, and it always should be.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:12 AM, Spaz said:

Japanese novels cost around the same if not more than AAA games at launch. Would you rather play a game like The Evil Within 2 or Wolfenstein II and feel proud you earned those platinums? Or would you play two Japanese import novels that cost you around $120 - 150 that you can finish both in less than a hour?

I think that the vast majority of western gamers who play Japanese novels do so for one of 4 reasons...

1. They are just looking for some easy quick trophies.

2. They like anime and all things Japanese.

3. They want people to think they can speak/read Japanese when they really can't.

4. All of the above.

It's their money, they can do what they want. 

I have only played 3 Japanese novels on this account, that is because I actually wanted to play them and I can (mostly) understand them.

I am a 3rd year Japanese student from the UK studying A-level material at night school. We have not used romaji since the 3rd month of the 1st year, we speak only Japanese in class (strictly) we are well into learning the first 1000 kanji and my point to all of this is that even now there is video game text that can still be difficult to understand.

Edited by JapanimeGamer
Spelling.

Dude, I've been in Japan for over 10 years and reading Japanese still doesn't get all that much faster. At any rate, I've played a couple of Japanese novel games but only the ones translated into English. You're looking at around 10-20 hours for any novel game if you're playing it properly. The fact that you can mash the button and play it as if it was My name is Mayo, I honestly do find that pointless. Another type of pay to win, so to speak.

• Like 3

I am glad you back me up by saying that you don't really play Japanese novels either, like I said I have only played 3 of them, they are not easy with many stumbling points in the text, western people who whizz through them are certainly not understanding them.

I have bought 2 games in the last 18 months (both in English) costing me about £50 in total.  In the same period on Japanese lessons and study books I have expended well over £1000.  Just to add some contrast.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

56 minutes ago, JapanimeGamer said:

3. They want people to think they can speak/read Japanese when they really can't.

That's one of the weirdest reasons I've ever seen someone come up with for thinking people skip VNs for. I don't think anyone would legitamitely think they're fooling other people into thinking they known Japanese by having a bunch of hour long VN plats which were obviously skipped through for trophies. 

5 hours ago, Bilpe said:

This is good to know.  Thanks.  But that would mean an additional PS Plus purchase every year...1f636.png

Nope, sub-accounts use the same PS+ account &, I believe, anyone logging in on your main console can also use your PS+.

50 minutes ago, JapanimeGamer said:

I have bought 2 games in the last 18 months (both in English) costing me about £50 in total.  In the same period on Japanese lessons and study books I have expended well over £1000.  Just to add some contrast.

If this is a comparison then it’s not a very good one. I’d never expect a game to be the equivalent price of A-Level language lessons & study books.

Edited by Dark

52 minutes ago, Gage said:

That's one of the weirdest reasons I've ever seen someone come up with for thinking people skip VNs for. I don't think anyone would legitamitely think they're fooling other people into thinking they known Japanese by having a bunch of hour long VN plats which were obviously skipped through for trophies. 

I have encountered such people online. I don't know why they do it but they do exist.

I had one such person try and become friends with me after they said they shared the same interests in Japanese culture history and language which I thought was cool, they claimed to speak Japanese and had a long list of completed Japanese games in their PSN profile, however it became apparent very quickly that their sole purpose of friending me was to try and learn Japanese from me.

43 minutes ago, Dark said:

If this is a comparison then it’s not a very good one. I’d never expect a game to be the equivalent price of A-Level language lessons & study books.

It is not intended as a comparison, I was highlighting the fact that I have only bought 2 games in the past 18 months and that both of them have been in English.

I threw in how much the lessons and books have cost me for 2 reasons, firstly to show how expensive it has all become and that after spending that amount of money I am still not 'fluent' and secondly to show that the reason for me not buying more video games is not down to any financial restrictions.

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JapanimeGamer said:

1. They are just looking for some easy quick trophies.

2. They like anime and all things Japanese.

4. All of the above.

This.

Corndog698 has a podcast video on Youtube where he asks questions with some of the top trophy hunters. Hakoom, Roughdawg4, Mrunknown625 to name a few.

Pretty much what I got out of the podcast was tips on how to get through most Japanese novels. You don't have to understand Japanese, you just have to know how to import them and as long as you have a Vita, you can get upwards of 100 or so novels.

There may be the exception that someone out there actually does want to play through these novels because they know the Japanese language and they want to understand the story. But for many they just want to speed through them for the trophies.

There is a certain Korean version of a novel that has a debug option that unlocks all trophies in less than a minute. If people thought Sound Shapes (you have to actually play through the game first before you can autopop the stacks), 1000 Top Rated, My Name is Mayo and Energy Cycle were all ridiculous, they are nothing compared to how quick some novels are.

It's a numbers game. Hakoom and company have a good amount of cash because those novels are expensive. Getting a couple dozen or so of them will likely cost you thousands of dollars. Is that really worth the investment?

27 minutes ago, Spaz said:

There is a certain Korean version of a novel that has a debug option that unlocks all trophies in less than a minute. If people thought Sound Shapes (you have to actually play through the game first before you can autopop the stacks), 1000 Top Rated, My Name is Mayo and Energy Cycle were all ridiculous, they are nothing compared to how quick some novels are.

Corpse Party is more of a combination between a survival horror game and a visual novel, and you normally need to do a lot of stuff for the platinum (there are puzzles, collectibles etc), so the debug mode is really a horrible way to unlock all trophies for the game. Other easy games need to be played at least.

I wonder if they just forgot to remove the debug mode in the Korean version? 

i see a lot of comments saying that it don't matter what they are playing as long as they are having fun, but imo a lot of them don't have fun anymore. they are not even playing games, they develop an obsessive/cumpulssive need for trophies / platinums go get a better rank in the leaderbords. they will do whatever it takes, this as became an adiction not a hobby.

Edited by Facas
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Facas said:

i see a lot of comments saying that it don't matter what they are playing as long as they are having fun, but imo a lot of them don't have fun anymore. they are not even playing games, they develop an obsessive/cumpulssive need for trophies / platinums go get a better rank in the leaderbords. they will do whatever it takes, this as became an adiction not a hobby.

Welcome to the world of trophy hunting

On 11/10/2017 at 5:19 AM, Phil said:

Goddamnit. I don't have either. I always knew I was a scrub, I just needed proof.

*hangs head low as he walks away, a single tear slowly running down his cheek

It is funny. People always make fun of Sound Shape platinums but it is actually a really good game. So I highly recommend picking it up as it is the only "create" game that I truly enjoyed making levels for.

1 hour ago, MeteorHawk said:

Welcome to the world of trophy hunting

i've been were for a couple of years now, i hunt trophies myself but not at that level. i'm happy whit my rank in leaderbords, actually my ''gaming carrer'' started 31 years ago.

now that i think about it Super Mario is younger then me, or my gaming life. ?

P.S.

trophy hunting should be fun, not a damn adiction.

Edited by Facas

4 hours ago, Izul said:

I wonder if they just forgot to remove the debug mode in the Korean version? 

That's exactly what it was. Same as with Salt and Sanctuary on Vita (they patched it out after but since it's Vita you can obviously play it unpatched and use debug stuff) and one of the patches on Dead Island PS4 where they somehow had the debug menu in in one of the post release patches. 

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

So why are Japanese novels so expensive to import? They're mostly around 1000-3000yen at BookOff in the second hand section.

If you buy them new (which a fair number of people do) they cost as much as full price games here. Some also hold their value really well, especially if you're buying from people selling them once they've already been imported over here. I've never heard of BookOff before but after looking at the website for it I don't think it's something everyone has access to (or is even something that ships outside of Japan? Can't find English language options on the Japanese site).

The people in here all assuming that people spend thousands on them then just sit on them are actually pretty ignorant about what people do. Most people will buy them, play them, then sell them on ebay or to people they know for basically cost. If you wanted to get into doing it there's some up front cost but if you're selling them on quickly after you do them you're basically only paying for shipping and a fraction of the cost of each new one. 

17 hours ago, enaysoft said:

You're looking at around 10-20 hours for any novel game if you're playing it properly.

Incorrect, a lot of VN's are 50+ hours with the setting of reading all unread text. The first Grisaia game which you can get the plat for in just over 30 minutes is way over 50 hours if you have the option as only skipping previous viewed text. (An amazing story by the way)

I love reading VN's on PC and when I was doing the trophy whore days for comps it was eating at me that I could not read these. So I had to stop. I now only skip a VN if I have fully finished the English release. This is until my Japanese gets better which the learning aspect is not looking to improve anytime soon.

All of this disagreement (or discussion, if you like) comes down to human nature.  We make value judgments-hundreds a day.  It is also the way the human brain works to think that I and those like me are better than you and those like you.  People have been doing it since there were people.  There are a lot of fancy psychological terms to describe these behaviors, but I'm not going to bore anyone with those.  As long as the discussion stays constructive and inoffensive, I think it's a good thing.  Although, at this point, it doesn't appear that anyone is going to change anyone else's mind.