Microtransactions Are Here to Stay; It's How Deal With Them That Matters.

TheLiamK

Gaming is an entertainment. A hobby for me that I've been doing for more than 2 decades and I'll continue as long I find it fun.

As for MTs, they have been there for a long time and getting worse over-time. However, it has never hindered my game progression or made me want to stop playing just because I couldn't do something without paying additional amount. I don't buy DLCs/season pass unless I've enjoyed the game to my fullest. Like Elder Scrolls or Witcher 3, where I'd happily pay extra $$ for more good content.

As long the base game has good enough content, they can add all the MTs in the world and it still wouldn't affect me. You just have to set your mind that way. Of course, you can boycott and look for another mean of entertainment but I personally won't as gaming is more and I intend to keep it that way. 

If MTs are really an issue for you, don't buy the game at launch or just rent it out or buy and sell it back or just wait. The world isn't going to end. 

From a business point of view, the companies are always going to look to make more money, even if means by adding more MTs. Ubisoft has reported that MTs have brought in a big profit for them. So did EA and Take-Two. Almost more than $500M just from GTA Shark cards when they could have just made SP DLC and satisfied but that wouldn't have generated  $500M+.

It's a business for them. It's a hobby for you. That's how things work. You are free to make your move. They are free to make theirs. Remember, for every 100 non-MT buyer, there is one who drops $100 on MTs. ;) 

• Like 1

Gamers and only gamers are to blame what's happening in this industry. It's the attitude games have. It started slowly creeping into multiplayer and only pure cosmetic stuff that was still available without necessary purchase. Gamers didn't mind, it was harmless. Later it was cosmetic stuff available only for purchase. Gamers still didn't mind. Progression lootboxes and other MC tied to progression in multiplayer. Gamers started complaining but it's still there, because it's still only in multiplayer, right?

Now we're getting lootboxes tied to progression in singleplayer games, in singleplayer campaigns. Gamers complain but at the end of the day still buy that game and play it.

People keep blaming industry, publishers, etc. It's not their fault, they're in it to make money and if simple addition of lootboxes can boost sales, of course they're going to do it.

Vote with your wallet and don't buy those games. We shape the industry, not the other way around as many think.

6 hours ago, g-bake_1986 said:

This is the excuse that publishers use but games have not been the same price for years. Take a look at the upcoming AAA releases and see how many editions there are. The standard game is now $60 but if you want to experience the full package of content you now pay upwards of $100. They can hold back any content they wish and lock it to more expensive editions, initially it was just cosmetics but now higher edition include extra sidequests.

Personally I now look at games more closely before I buy them, if I find the microtransaction system in a game too intrusive then I'll refuse to buy it. I passed on Shadow of War, I'll pass on Battlefront 2. Maybe years ago that would have been a hard decision but there are so many other great games at the moment I don't miss them so much.

Shadow of war was taken way out of context. A friend of mine got the plat and said that the micro transactions aren’t a big deal at all since he always had in game currency which you can also use to buy these crates. I’m guessing people wanted to rush through the game without doing any side activities or whatever the game had to offer.

To be fair most of those deluxe editions only contain cosmetic items or maybe you’ll get the game a couple days early. If you do get any side quests it’ll be something stupid like go fetch 20 fishes for granny rags down by the old pond of shit water, so I don’t think you’ll be missing out on much. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

This is probably a stupid question, but what kind of microtransactions do single player games usually have? :huh:

I've personally gotten DLC to some games I enjoy but I don't remember seeing microtransactions. Maybe I just haven't played games you people are referring to.

Nothing major really. Most of them are as time savers or cosmetics/gear, etc. 

However, Shadow of Mordor went and added an extra layer of grind and locked true ending just to push some MTs to speed up the process. You can avoid it by grinding. 

Assassin's Creed: Origins has cosmetics, time savers, some gear and stuff. Pretty much everything can be obtained by playing. 

Honestly, the whole OMGBBQWTF micro-transaction in games is nothing major nor really affects if you just play and don't look at it. Gamers just want to moan without even playing. 

I'm currently playing NFS: Payback and everyone were complaining about MT and grind. You know what? It has barely any grind. It's just like previous NFS games where you earn credits by racing/doing stuff and unlock cars and tune-up. It has MTs (and so does Forza/CREW and other racing games, including previous NFS games), but can't help, gotta complain about everything without even playing. 

• Like 2

Personally I wish they would just raise the prices of the game upfront. I feel like I am probably in the minority, but I can’t help feeling like loot crates and limited time micro transactions prey on people with addictive personailities. The stories I’ve heard about my friends spending money on cell phone games are crazy. I hate seeing console gaming doing the same, but I understand it from a business perspective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doomsdayman said:

I can see the future

- Paid patches

- Pop-up ads in game

- Every loading screen is riddled with ads

- Starting the game with only 1 MP map the rest you have to buy

At least this is a good topic to vent frustration.

I remember the good old days. Going into a retail store, seeing those big boxes knowing only how it looks from the screenshots at the back of the box. When home opening the box and seeing a thick manual included with Lore, Bestary, Tips, Recepies (Yes, Fallout 1 & 2 had recipes). Ah good old times. Like every Saturday when I would sit like a zombie in front of the TV watching cartoons.

I miss those times so much. ?

Wasn't there talk at some point about patches being made paid? I remember reading it somewhere. That will be the day I will quit gaming for good.

I've been barely gaming as it is nowadays due to the amount of shite from developers.

Tbh, I'm not bothered about microtransactions, so long as people don't use them to affect my game or the way I should play (P2W), then I'm good. 

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

This is probably a stupid question, but what kind of microtransactions do single player games usually have? :huh:

I've personally gotten DLC to some games I enjoy but I don't remember seeing microtransactions. Maybe I just haven't played games you people are referring to.

Taking Payback as an example. Normally, they're cosmetic items to help make the game less grindy as such. In terms like FIFA for example with FIFA points, you can spend them on packs to get decent players (if the RNG is in your favor). 

Edited by Combatting
  • Like 1

It seems that microtransactions generally appear in games that are very barebones like Destiny and Overwatch. These games also seem to spend a great deal on advertising. I'll probably still buy games like these, so long as microtransactions take a backseat, but I will never purchase microtransactions for a game that has charged me $80 CAD for the base game plus another $40 or more for a season pass. There are still many games releasing that offer a great deal for the base price and aren't filled with microtransactions. The best way to reduce the presence of microtransactions is to avoid buying them if you do play games that contain them and to support games that do not have any sign of them.

1 hour ago, NaseemJohn said:

Shadow of war was taken way out of context.

Agreed, I got the Platinum and I found no reasons to spend actual money to buy anything. You get a ton of in-game currency that can be used to buy certain loot-boxes without spending anything, so if you really need some extra Orc's for Shadow Wars (or whatever) then there's your solution.

I'm honestly not sure who they were targeting these MT's at, because there doesn't seem to be much reason to actually buy anything. I guess maybe if you really can't be bothered to recruit any Orcs, but there are so many of them around it's hard to not have a ton of Captain's available when you need them.

As for MT's themselves, I agree they aren't going anywhere. The developers / publishers are making so much money from them that some are starting to "adjust" their business models to use MT's to extend the lifespan of their existing games and franchises, and we will likely see less new franchise development as a result. I'm not a fan of them personally, so I just don't buy anything, but I have yet to run into a game where buying or not buying MT's made any impact on my ability to Platinum the game. If people stop buying games because they include MT's, eventually you'll find yourself not purchasing any AAA games because they are all going down that path, eventually.

If the day comes when that happens, I'll have to re-examine my commitment to that particular game franchise at that point. For now, they don't impact my gaming much, if at all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NaseemJohn said:

I think as gamers we should start looking at it from both perspectives because it seems like most don’t understand.  

Games have been the same price for years now but they’ve also been getting more complex, they require more people to work on them, more risky, have been getting more expensive to make and advertise. I highly doubt that 60$ is even nearly enough to cover what it costs to make a triple A game. I think they’re simply trying to make up for all the costs without going bankrupt or shutting down studios so that’s where all the micro transactions, DLC and season passes come in. It doesn’t bother me at all cause I don’t participate in buying micro transactions but it just comes down to how it’s implemented in games honestly, that’s just my opinion tho and I’m probably in the minority. 

As usual, good ol' Jim Sterling to the rescue:

To be honest, I thankfully still haven't got any game that has any microtransactions in it, single-player or otherwise (I only play single-player games anyway, that may help), but even if I did have an interest in any specific game, if I found out it had microtransactions, that would instantly kill 90% of my impetus to get it. For instance, I used to be a big Assassin's Creed fan until I dropped the franchise for just being burned out of it. Origins seems interesting enough, so I might have considered giving it a shot, but as soon as I found out it had the big trifecta (Season Pass + Microtransactions + Lootboxes), that instantly killed my potential enthusiasm for it.

To be honest, the big AAA machine is becoming a bit like Marvel's Galactus - eating everything in its path and never being satiated.

Well, I certainly don't intend to be devoured. Fortunately, I don't really seem to be captivated by the kinds of games that pull this kind of crap. But even if the games I like someday start shoving microtransactions into them, I won't really mind too much. I'll just... not buy them. I like games, but I haven't sold my soul to them just yet, and I'm certainly not going to support these kinds of business practices.

And it's not like we don't all have metric tons of older games we haven't played. I can just go retro and/or replay my old games. I barely have any time left to play games right now, so if the Industry collectively goes to shit by pulling this kind of crap in every game, maybe then I'll finally be able to clear out my backlog.

I'm certainly not too fussed about it.

8 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

I used to be a big Assassin's Creed fan until I dropped the franchise for just being burned out of it. Origins seems interesting enough, so I might have considered giving it a shot, but as soon as I found out it had the big trifecta (Season Pass + Microtransactions + Lootboxes), that instantly killed my potential enthusiasm for it.

TBH, I just got the Platinum for AC Origins today, and there is zero "pressure" to buy any MT content in the game. It's 100% cosmetic and 100% unnecessary. I didn't even spend the free Helix credits I got while playing, because there was literally nothing I wanted to use them for. Much like earlier AC games, the MT's in Origins are the usual mix of cosmetic outfits that add nothing practical to the gameplay experience, and a bunch of weapons that will rapidly be outclassed by the torrent of weapon drops that you get just by playing.

Also, it has no lootboxes, not sure where you got that from. Honestly, it's no different than what they've included in every AC game since Black Flag (which is when I started playing the franchise). Season Pass is there are usual, but that's no different from the past few entries in the franchise, and if it's worth owning I'll get it on sale one day.

Edited by Swotam
Season pass thoughts

19 minutes ago, Swotam said:

TBH, I just got the Platinum for AC Origins today, and there is zero "pressure" to buy any MT content in the game. It's 100% cosmetic and 100% unnecessary. I didn't even spend the free Helix credits I got while playing, because there was literally nothing I wanted to use them for. Much like earlier AC games, the MT's in Origins are the usual mix of cosmetic outfits that add nothing practical to the gameplay experience, and a bunch of weapons that will rapidly be outclassed by the torrent of weapon drops that you get just by playing.

Also, it has no lootboxes, not sure where you got that from. Honestly, it's no different than what they've included in every AC game since Black Flag (which is when I started playing the franchise). Season Pass is there are usual, but that's no different from the past few entries in the franchise, and if it's worth owning I'll get it on sale one day.

Thanks for the info. It was just marginal interest at best (I'm cool with just the Desmond saga), but good to know, nevertheless.

1 hour ago, DocHolliday25 said:

Personally I wish they would just raise the prices of the game upfront. I feel like I am probably in the minority, but I can’t help feeling like loot crates and limited time micro transactions prey on people with addictive personailities. The stories I’ve heard about my friends spending money on cell phone games are crazy. I hate seeing console gaming doing the same, but I understand it from a business perspective.

It sounds harsh but addictive tendencies are exactly what they're preying on. Microtransactions work for them because it's an ongoing source of income, raising the price would of course get them slightly more money but it's still limited to the copies they sell. They rely on a very small group of people that seem to throw crazy money at these games.

I think the big thing with microtransactions is that people don't want it to get worse.  Whether it's Shadow of War, or Assassin's Creed Origins, it's been a bit overblown... but it's because people are afraid of it getting to the point where it really does ruin games like that.  Which is fair, but the bickering is not nearly as impactful as the people continuing to actually support them financially and making it a viable option.  Not because people tell them it's okay to do, but because they want to or because it makes the game more fun for them.  I think it'll get worse before it gets better no matter how this thread goes.

3 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Doesn't matter. You're still willing to accept them.

xD I'll be honest, I don't even know to respond to this.  It's a level of irrational self-congratulating that I'm just not familiar with.

In no way, shape or form is my indifference towards microtransactions (and general disdain for irrational behavior) actually supporting them moreso than I'm hurting them with the zero dollars I've spent on said microtransactions or on buying games that have them.  You do realize money is what these publishers are after, right?  Not mine or your "good vibes".

God bless whatever it is you think you're accomplishing by being here.  I mean, publishers have flat out said they aren't just going to continue using microtransactions but in some cases it'll be in every game going forward... despite the great sacrifices you've made complaining here on PSNP.  Slacktivism at it's finest.  Fight the power, brother... and keep those hearty pats on the back coming.

11 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

And just because you aren't a soldier would not mean your country going to war would be something you should just ignore. Open your eyes.

Because it's exactly the same thing.  Good grief.

These companies want our money.  I'm not giving them my money, I'm not even buying the games that have MT's.  I have no interest in them.  That's the absolute 100% best way to combat it, if that's something you care about.  If everyone did what I did, there'd be no "war".  There'd be no enemy, there'd be no villain.  MT's wouldn't be profitable.

You can be seconded what I said to that other guy, thanks for your diligent service here on PSNP.  My goodness, the sacrifices you've made. ?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

I support the ones that I agree with and ignore the ones that I don't. I'm not just going to make a blanket statement when most companies handle them in vastly different ways.

Like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, people buying boxes didn't have any advantage over the people not buying. On top of that, the devs gave us 5 free massive expansions that would put most paid dlc to shame. Also gave us weekly balance patches and constant community interaction. The extra $ allowed for things like this and it turned it into one of my all time favorite gaming experiences. I loved this model and gladly dumped 20 or 30$ into it.

Overwatch and Destiny follow a similar model with increased support and free content. More game without being forced to buy anything extra? Hells yeah. GTAV is another shining example of this, they're basically the gold standard for micro transactions done right...

Then there's the other side of the coin... Games like MK, Injustice 2, and I have to assume Shadows of War since it's the same company. These games give NOTHING in return, these are the ones worth boycotting. Screw them and the horse they rode in on. Even CoD and stuff is pretty bad since all they give is the same guns with different stats and try to pass it off as new content.

Ultimately, the tl:dr version, is that they're not all bad. Do some research, make an informed decision. Don't lump the good ones in with the bad with blanket statements. Don't generalize hate just cause your scared of change.

3 hours ago, NaseemJohn said:

Shadow of war was taken way out of context. A friend of mine got the plat and said that the micro transactions aren’t a big deal at all since he always had in game currency which you can also use to buy these crates. I’m guessing people wanted to rush through the game without doing any side activities or whatever the game had to offer.

To be fair most of those deluxe editions only contain cosmetic items or maybe you’ll get the game a couple days early. If you do get any side quests it’ll be something stupid like go fetch 20 fishes for granny rags down by the old pond of shit water, so I don’t think you’ll be missing out on much. 

The concern is that it starts with cosmetic items and a few sidequests but where does it end? Do they strip back bigger quests or endings? Publishers will push and push until we stand up, and if we don't then the content of a game we get as standard could be a totally different proposition to how it was.

Think how quickly microtransactions have seaped into the AAA space, one of the first questions I ask about a new game is "Does it have microtransactions?" rather than "What is this game?"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sargon said:

Those other people actually deserve to get ripped of. People have to learn to be patient. I haven't bought Final Fantasy XV yet because I'm waiting for a complete version. I latetely purchased Dragon Age Inquisition including all DLCs for just 9,99 € on PS Store. How much money did I save? 70 €? 80 €? That's what I'm talking about: Patience and self-control.

i think its a wiser strategy and more affordable in the end. these past two years i've gotten one full priced game a piece, odin sphere last year for vita, and persona 5 for PS3 this year. with a backlog from sales its enough to build your patience over newer titles, especially as a trophy hunter where most quality games will last you. a neighbor finds it unbelievable that i don't have a ps4 yet. i'm enjoying my gaming in the moment though.

i'm pretty likely getting a ps4 during the holidays, but i'm employing the same strategy, there will be more than enough less priced games and games on sale to keep me busy where i'd rarely go full priced. some peoples mentality think you need to jump into the next thing right away. like said neighbor speaks of the switch over mario and zelda, idrc about nintendo anymore though. and there hasn't been a need to jump into ps4 yet either, although i think now is the time to start getting into some of the ps4 games as i've been putting loads of effort into completing games of interest between ps3 and vita. lol.

idk what microtransactions or even loot boxes are. i've heard them as negatives, but not sure what they really are, especially the loot box thing. my guess on microtransactions would be like the HDN games selling you fast exp, higher levels and stuff? i think compile heart is the only company i played thus far that has those in games. which i did that for those games cause the games cost less than $10, some of these were free i think, and the ones with a price cost $1. haven't done it since though. i don't really play AAA games often or multiplayer so not sure if these terms apply to them mostly. cause i heard of loot boxes with a topic for that new destiny game around here lol.

It is very interesting that most bitching people have fifa, cod, destiny, tom clancy, battlefront, nfs, battlefield games on their profile. What a joke. Everyone is a poser these days. Why are you bitching if you buy those games? Especially on day 1 and paying 60 dollars. Yuck

I don't ever remember buying EVEN a DLC that is not about single player content. So microtransactions are really far, far away from me. I don't buy those AAA games and micros, I keep myself happy :)

is the problem here not just about people not having enough money? ...then isn't the real problem just a personal one?...$hit, just make more money...seems simple enough...

huge corporations are greedy...is this a surprise to anyone?...if so, brace yourselves for the real world where nothing gets any cheaper as time goes by and people find new ways to take your money for things that used to be free...on that note the increase in the economy here in North America is so stable thanks to these greedy corporations that I would recommend investing your money now...equity on property has only been negative twice in the last 50 years here in canada and had you invested $20 CAD in high interest mutual funds 50 years ago they would now be worth a whopping $130 000...

microtrasactions in video games?...as with the above stats, as they are now, who really cares other than the people buying them or the ones that want to but can't afford it?...the rest is just paranoid extrapolation...why fear that which doesn't exist?...seems rather pointless if the approach is as passive as complaining about them on an unrelated internet forum...for the record, totally cool with doing so b1tch away if that's your thing...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

@ProfBambam55 Following your logic, it should be pretty reasonable to pay $50 for a loaf of bread, because why not. 

People don't like paying $80 for a game, then $40 for a season pass, then another $20 for extra DLC, and then another XX$ for maps/gun/whatever. 

an extra $60 a year for PS+. if not cant play online on ps4 systems. people try to sell the benefits, but it doesn't appeal to me. still, i may end up needing it somewhere a long the line for online trophies when getting the system. thankfully i barely play online, so i'll be fine for awhile when starting off. seems like most people got over that one and just accepted it. maybe this will be the case too. :c

• Like 1