Star Wars Battlefront II campaign thoughts

Has anyone already played through the single player campaign; what are your thoughts?

Most of the few reviews that are online already seen to think the campaign was enjoyable. The ones complaining about the campaign call it dull, but I haven't seen anyone call it too short yet.

There's also supposed to be at least one new mission on December 13 as free DLC.

All in all, I'm positively hopeful that this game will be a cool experience.

Was quite disappointed with BFII campaign. Before release, they advertised so much that it seems you'll be playing on the side of the Empire and their perspective and actions during the war leading up to The Force Awakens.

While the first half of the campaign I enjoyed killing all the rebel scums, ends up the main lead, Iden joins the rebel scums and the usual rebels defeating the Empire nonsense you get in the movies and animations. 

Can't someone make something that have the Empire winning and annihilating all those rebel scums?

Edited by Parker

25 minutes ago, PrestonCoIe said:
Spoiler

While the first half of the campaign I enjoyed killing all the rebel scums, ends up the main lead, Iden joins the rebel scums and the usual rebels defeating the Empire nonsense you get in the movies and animations. 

Can't someone make something that have the Empire winning and annihilating all those rebel scums? 

I implore you edit your post and put everything I just quoted under a spoiler as well, lest you ruin the campaign for others that follow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Baciex87 said:

Yes. Playing it at the moment. It seems like you can get through chapters really quickly (even on harder difficulty). 

Hopefully there will be some additional story DLCs 

Is it fun though?

How long have you been playing you think, and how many missions have you done? (Spoiler free answer, please)

4 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Someone finished it in 3 and a half hours. There's a video stream on it, and it doesn't appear like he "speed runned" through it. I didn't waste time watching though, just a precaution to those that are going to bitch because the story isn't 30 hours.

Three and a half hours seems weirdly short. Do you know if that is skipping cutscenes or something?

howlongtobeat.com polls the length at a median of eight hours, with the rushed length being just under five and a half hours. Absolute fastest submitted time was on PC at just under three hours. I'm thinking those at five hours played on easy or knew what to do, and those at three to four hours almost definitely skipped cutscenes.

Personally, I don't mind if the campaign is 6-8 hours. That's about the length of a Rogue Squadron game, which I've been hoping this game will be a spiritual successor to. I'd rather have a short but great campaign than a boring one that doesn't know when to end. Though four hours for a first playthrough without rushing would be a bit on the short side.

1 hour ago, Xannic said:

I implore you edit your post and put everything I just quoted under a spoiler as well, lest you ruin the campaign for others that follow.

Thanks for the warning, now I knew to skip that post.

13 hours ago, PrestonCoIe said:

Probably that was the Visceral Game to a certain extent. Problem is Disney owns SW brand and they will never promote the idea of the bad side winning. 

The trophy guide that PowerPyx posted on his website earlier today suggests that the campaign is about 5 hours long, which probably means closer to 7-8 hours for those of us who don't rush things. There are no collectibles to gather, so you basically just play through it and that's that.

That said, I'll likely be waiting on a sale for this game. Between the short campaign (my primary area of interest) and the stink over loot boxes and the way EA has designed the online portion of the game around them, I'll get this at some point down the road, maybe.

13 hours ago, Cubone said:

Three and a half hours seems weirdly short. Do you know if that is skipping cutscenes or something?

howlongtobeat.com polls the length at a median of eight hours, with the rushed length being just under five and a half hours. Absolute fastest submitted time was on PC at just under three hours. I'm thinking those at five hours played on easy or knew what to do, and those at three to four hours almost definitely skipped cutscenes.

Personally, I don't mind if the campaign is 6-8 hours. That's about the length of a Rogue Squadron game, which I've been hoping this game will be a spiritual successor to. I'd rather have a short but great campaign than a boring one that doesn't know when to end. Though four hours for a first playthrough without rushing would be a bit on the short side.

Here is the video in question. By all means, look through it if you wish. Like I said, I'm not going to because I am getting the game tomorrow or Friday. Just wanted to spread the word across.

1 hour ago, Swotam said:

The trophy guide that PowerPyx posted on his website earlier today suggests that the campaign is about 5 hours long, which probably means closer to 7-8 hours for those of us who don't rush things. There are no collectibles to gather, so you basically just play through it and that's that.

That said, I'll likely be waiting on a sale for this game. Between the short campaign (my primary area of interest) and the stink over loot boxes and the way EA has designed the online portion of the game around them, I'll get this at some point down the road, maybe.

There are collectibles to gather, actually. PowerPyx even has a guide showing them.

However there isn't a trophy for unlocking them. Rather, they unlock crafting parts for multiplayer. A refreshing take on the collect-a-thon, if I'm going to be honest.

More reviews are coming in and the story campaign seems less and less appealing.

It sounds like most of the solo game is boring shooter marathons and not enough is starfighter missions.

I'm not that into FPS and I am mainly looking forward to Battlefront II because it seemed like the closest thing I'd get to gerting a new Rogue Squadron game.

I'm very conflicted about getting the game at this point. I have it pre-ordered (because I could get it for €19 when trading in two used games) but at this point I'm thinking about just cancelling it, putting the money in something else and getting Battlefront II a year from now when it's dirt cheap and some story DLCs have been added.

i think the game was alot of fun,finished in about 5 or 6 hours.Its not really long but alot of fun.The visuals are some of those most beautiful ive seen.I dont know why they couldnt have made it like the witcher 3,horizon zero dawn,or skyrim.It is STAR WARS so why they didnt go EPIC in size is beyond me.

12 minutes ago, FRANTICWRATH said:

i think the game was alot of fun,finished in about 5 or 6 hours.Its not really long but alot of fun.The visuals are some of those most beautiful ive seen.I dont know why they couldnt have made it like the witcher 3,horizon zero dawn,or skyrim.It is STAR WARS so why they didnt go EPIC in size is beyond me.

In your opinion, how much of those 5-6 hours were lots of fun and how much was basic?

I'm especially interested in an opinion on starship battles and how much there was of it. On the foot missions, would you recommend it to someone who usually doesn't like FPS games but did enjoy last year's DOOM, and Wolfenstein two years before that.

Finished it. Action packed campaign right from start.

Good:

• Superb gunplay.
  • Gorgeous visuals. Highly quality production.
  • Get to play iconic characters in iconic locations.
  • Good use of music.
  • Awesome space battles.
  • End tease.
  • Rewarding. 

Bad:

• Weak story. 
  • Wish it was longer. Took about ~6 hours to finish. Should have given more time for characters to develop and have longer missions.

Obviously, this is for STAR WARS fans alone. It's very nice walk around the STAR WARS universe. The ending sets up well for the upcoming DLCs. Can't wait. UtCY5iF.png

1 hour ago, itsFIGJAM said:

Finished it. Action packed campaign right from start.

Good:

• Superb gunplay.
  • Gorgeous visuals. Highly quality production.
  • Get to play iconic characters in iconic locations.
  • Good use of music.
  • Awesome space battles.
  • End tease.
  • Rewarding. 

Bad:

• Weak story. 
  • Wish it was longer. Took about ~6 hours to finish. Should have given more time for characters to develop and have longer missions.

Obviously, this is for STAR WARS fans alone. It's very nice walk around the STAR WARS universe. The ending sets up well for the upcoming DLCs. Can't wait. UtCY5iF.png

Thanks for the bullet points, you're confirming what I've heard from others.

In my case, the bad outweigh the good here, as the single player campaign is all I'll get out of it. With what it is now (a story that's rushed and short, without a real ending, with not that many spaceship battles), it would be better to wait until they have released all the DLC and get it used.

There are indications by the way, that DLC will be 'paid', as in unlockable with credits. Don't know how that will turn out (or if much DLC will happen at all) with all the developments of the past few days.

Can you recall exactly how many different missions you've done, and how many of those were on foot and how many of those were in starships? That would be info I'd definitely use to determine when the game is worth it for me. Force Unleashed II was short and rushed as well but I got it when it was €20 and I had a blast.

Edited by Cubone

Honestly, it's not worth buying only for SP alone. It was just a nice grand tour of STAR WARS universe. I liked it for what it was. At least it didn't try too hard. It was action-packed from start.

17 hours ago, Cubone said:

Can you recall exactly how many different missions you've done, and how many of those were on foot and how many of those were in starships? That would be info I'd definitely use to determine when the game is worth it for me. Force Unleashed II was short and rushed as well but I got it when it was €20 and I had a blast.

If I recall correctly there are ~12 missions and post-ending. Pretty much every mission with Iden had a space battle. About 4-5 missions were completely on foot. The ones where you play as other characters. 

The post-ending mission sets up for future content. I hope they are good and free. Would be a shame if the game gets more backlash. 

• Like 1

Just a few of my thoughts on the campaign:

- Slightly too short for my liking although in my view this is more of a MP game with a campaign added on so pretty much what I expected. I wasn’t trying to rush through but as it’s a linear story you aren’t likely be spending hours exploring and looking about. There are a few collectibles (on some of the levels) but I found most of them just by keeping my eyes open.

- Quite easy. Although this is obviously subjective, I played through on the hardest difficulty, playing a few hours last night and a few more today (maybe 5-7 total) and it was beaten without any problems. 

- Likeable new characters

- The story is very predictable... really didn’t want it to play out as it did as I hoped it might do something different

- Graphics are good, not amazing, but they do fit the Star Wars aesthetic (maybe they look better on a PS4 Pro, I’m playing on an original PS4). There were a couple of stutters with the frame rate here and there but nothing major and it didn’t ruin my experience.

- The Star Wars ‘feel’ is definitely in this. In terms of music, aesthetic, characters, story, etc, it definitely feels very Star Wars so it’s got me pumped for episode 8 in December.

IMO if people want to buy this for the campaign alone I wouldn’t recommend getting it now at full price. It’s certainly not a bad campaign but it could have been longer and story wise more interesting.

Loved the story and it linked well with the book prequel, I think going into I enjoyed it more as I had read the book and was already attached to the characters.

If playing just the game I can see that the characters didn't have enough time to develop within the short time span from start to end.

Enjoyed the visuals, the teasers and the links to the other movies/books. :) 

• Like 1

Not really bringing anything new to the table but I completed the story last night.

It's good, not great. Someone said above that you shouldn't buy it for the story alone and I agree. It's too short for that. It does add a bit to the story and fill in some gaps in the saga. Think a watered down version of Rogue One.

Oh and it might (although I doubt it) have an unbelievably massive spoiler for The Last Jedi. Huge fuck up if it turns out to be one!