Help me understand Why some Trophy Hunters feel its fine to marginalise players with alot of Plats

AffectatiousDonk

I guess some people just get really into or addicted to trophies to the point that that play the same game in many regions if they have separate trophy lists or play a bunch of easy short games for the sole purpose of the platinum.

I think it's a quality vs quantity thing, just like anything else. I'm certainly a quality person overall. My trophies are all long and fairly challenging ones with most taking close to the 100 hour mark each so I don't have many. Some people just prefer the opposite, which is fine as not everyone has the time and patience to endure a long or difficult plat and some people are just competitive by nature.

• Like 2

Honestly the leaderboards are one of the things I care least about on this site, I have no motivation towards them or any desire to compare myself against any other trophy hunter. Personally I don't go for the notoriously easy trophies, but others are free to spend their time and money on whatever they want.

Edited by g-bake_1986
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 10:51 AM, madbuk said:

And it just feels like the trophy community as a whole has started to have outrage at anything remotely challenging, which is a bit annoying. Wolfenstein II had a fucking petition.

Oh please. Barely anyone signed that and I'd have never heard about it if not for someone here whining about it and giving it more exposure than it'd get if they just left it alone. Getting overly outraged at literally nothing is even worse than some  petty petition.

I guess if you have the frame of mind where a single person represents everyone, then everyone is awful and terrible, because a tiny amount of any group is awful and terrible in some way. That's unavoidable. Yay~ we're all awful~

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, B1rvine said:

@CjShai I hear what you're saying, and respect that.  Again, I wasn't directing my original comment at you or anyone in particular.  

But, I'll answer your original question with more insight.  I agree that most people taught to outperform, that's the culture of our world when opportunities are dwindling in our capitalistic world. I disagree with some of you on several other points.  While your personal goal may not be to compete against others, your desire for self improvement still reflects upon the rest of us, in the form of a leaderboard.  People that "really" don't care about trophy hunting at all will likely not be part of this site.  You're part of a population so you'll ultimately be compared to others and have no say in the matter.  

Think of it this way:  You may be a really funny and charismatic person, just because you like being one. Then there's the dull and boring guy next to you.  You may not be competing against him, and just enjoy being you, but that young hot sexy thing will still compare you two nonetheless, and pick you as the "better" person. Just like the trophy hunter will respect a higher rank over a lower one as "better".  So what happens when the only comparative quality lacks any real value but is still used as a measure of "better?"

Thankyou for your reply, it is interesting and I agree with your points. This analogy is very on point and something I had not consider before. It is a depressing thought nonetheless as for any individual to see someone else as  "better" they must see themselves as  "less". Of course this is how society is in many areas so perhaps it is inevitable that it would also carry across to a recreational activity. The problem is that its not the volume hunters that are ascribing the value of better in this scenario, so really to alleviate the problem all it would take is a mental shift from anyone that was placing undue praise on anyone else. Sounds simple right. 

14 hours ago, B1rvine said:

Think of it this way.  If every trophy hunter was given a set amount of time to play and the exact same rules, everyone would probably end up near each other for quick and easy.  Not everyone would end up with the harder rare stuff.

Of course, I completely agree.

I also question that people really "enjoy" these games.  If they didn't have trophies would you have bought Aabs Animals? Or 1000 rated?  Can you think of any reason, other than increasing your rank on a leaderboard, that anyone would "skip" a game 12 times and do them each in 5 minutes?  How is that "self improvement" other than to increase their rank on a leaderboard against others? 

I understand this but perhaps there is another perspective on enjoyment for these games. Considering how OCD seems to run strongly through many trophy hunters, as well as a fascination with manipulating systems perhaps the enjoyment does not stem from gameplay in a traditional sense. Rather the enjoyment stems from the discovery of these games, the sourcing and acquisition of them (importing etc), the manipulation of using multiple systems to increase productivity, time management and balancing. These are very different elements than what would usually be considered required skills for a traditional approach to gaming. Skills that are often utilised by people in certain jobs or the self employed. So viewed in that context maybe the enjoyment is merely an extension of their day to day life projected in a different manner. 

In regards to " self improvement " I don't think it has anything to do with the games. I am sure many will claim and probably rightly so that games have improved their lives. For me personally while I enjoy gaming I would not say it has improved my life. The improvement for me has come in the form of the people I have meet and become friends with, their different perspectives, listening to industry speak, exploring (and struggling) to navigate stores/websites in other languages, and learning tricks and what would be called "angle shooting" in other avenues but is expected practice in gaming. So the games are merely the medium to all this self improvement. In relation to the leaderboard I am sure there is an element of rising to the top but I struggle to understand how anyone would be sustained for long by just merely trying to pass people. I mean to get a high ranking takes years so the motivation must be deeper than simply a leaderboard position slowly rising.

when comparing gaming only, isn't the actual harder game more rewarding in the long run?  

For some people this must be true. Personally I would probably take the line that the longer game is the more rewarding. But then I don't particularly enjoy challenging games. A good example is Final Fantasy XIV, technically it is an Ultra Rare game but it is not hard. It is very easy really, just long. When I finish it I will probably be a little sad because I have enjoyed it but I will not feel any sense of euphoria because it has been rated as technically "challenging" by a percentage. Magicka 2 is another example, I enjoyed this game because of the people I played co-op with. The game itself is fine, and arguably only receives its "challenging" status due to the guides being very vague. Obviously there are very many incredibly difficult games but with the current system based on completion percentage the two games I have mentioned would be defined as hard, of which they are not really.

Finally, in regards to the competitions here.  I understand why it wouldn't be fair.  I'm highlighting that more to illustrate the majority of these players acknowledge themselves, rarer = better in their minds, straight from their mouths, but don't follow this practice of doing it.  However, I'd also dispute they're not comparing themselves to the entire community. Maybe they don't directly call themselves "elites", but again, when their own wording of the tournament is to "determine the best of the best" that implies out of the entire community, and by default, the elitist among us.  

This is a problem I have struggled with for the last two years. It has caused some people anguish, promoted ridicule and has allowed me to maintain a roulette like approach to my friends list. People need validation I guess, perhaps its also a sign of youth. Maybe we are just so jaded now in our mature years that being labelled a "winner" is less appealing than sitting down quietly in the corner and clapping them as they pass by. I tried to remove the focus of the individual by adding charity prizes to various events but who knows maybe that was more my own way to try and atone for promoting competition. 

but I'd really like to see a competition to complete "Super Meat Boy", "I am Bread", and "Surgeon Simulator" the fastest, with say a $100 prize instead of what we have now.

I like this idea too, if some of the players that enjoy these sorts of games would like to put something together I would be happy to support it. Just let me know.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Wonder if we could ever go a month without one of these. Feels like one pops up every other week, or even weekly. I mean we just got one mentioned in the OP and here we are again. :/

True, but what is even worse is: Someone explains his stance on the subject, and the next guy says "Surely that can't be fun" - like nobody ever told them off how they could waste their time playing video games instead of doing 'something useful'.

• Like 1

I certainly don't have too much respect for those who play games for trophies only, but that's just my opinion.

I have a not so strict code that if I collect trophies, the game must have some kind of value. Trophies are not the game's value, they help me keep my gaming history punctuated and tidy, but I just can't understand - and I will never-ever do this - why people autopop a trophy set three or five times on their profile. It has absolutely no value on any profile in my eyes.

I can understand the struggle for climbing the leaderboard, but ultimately, gaming should be about the games themselves, trophies should represent a player's gaming habits, what they're into. 

• Like 1

Gotta be honest, I used to mix in some easy quick games but since having kids, most of my games are short now. I don't have the time anymore (poor excuse I know). I definitely spam to stay up with my friends group plat wise. Though I play other games on my 2nd account for fun with no intention of trophy hunting every now and then.

i feel like the only thing that can come from starting a thread like this is an argument, so why make it? if someone got under your skin the best thing you can do is just ignore it. other people don't have to like or understand why others spam plats.

Edited by dansomekid
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/11/2017 at 2:03 PM, HellcoreFire said:

Hell is other people. (Jean-Paul Sartre)

Hell is other ppl... looking at your trophy list and judging you as whole person.... ?

On 24/11/2017 at 9:24 PM, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

Trophy hunting drama has to be the pettiest drama on the internet.

LOL!!! yes i loved this :D

On 18/11/2017 at 6:24 AM, B1rvine said:

I also question that people really "enjoy" these games.  If they didn't have trophies would you have bought Aabs Animals? Or 1000 rated?

I may buy Aabs Animals at some point and yes I would still buy it if there weren't any trophies.  I also have a bunch of PS1/2/Wii/Steam joke games that obviously don't have trophies and I still bought. Most were around 50p-£1 and were fun to laugh at, some were more, and some it turns out aren't actually bad games just weird.  It's fun to play a bad, weird or childish game sometimes, especially if you play it over a few drinks with friends.

I had a lot of fun with Barbie Puppy Kidnap (half the time the puppies you 'rescue' are in someone's garden, and some others you see on lost posters/get a call about but then still adopt them out rather than contacting the owner).  We laughed at how the game needed a loading screen part way through the tiny town and how we were basically stealing puppies, we gave the puppies stupid names and tried to come up with different spellings for rude words, and it was fun in an 'omg this game is terrible' kind of way.  At the end I think there were 3 trophies I didn't have so I did them just to finish up.

• Like 2