Help me understand Why some Trophy Hunters feel its fine to marginalise players with alot of Plats

AffectatiousDonk

Cause for many players trophies used to have a certain difficulty to it. Getting a platinum ment that you did everything the games has to offer and that used to cover harder aspects of the game. This is barely the case nowadays and it seems that some don't wanna put any effort in games anymore and therefore don't take the hobby of trophy hunting "serious". Outside of this nerdy community a trophy means nothing, within however, it does and it makes a difference if you get a platinum in slyde or super meat boy (quality over quantity). Just my 5 cents

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 1:34 PM, Gommes_ said:

Cause for many players trophies used to have a certain difficulty to it. Getting a platinum ment that you did everything the games has to offer and that used to cover harder aspects of the game. This is barely the case nowadays and it seems that some don't wanna put any effort in games anymore and therefore don't take the hobby of trophy hunting "serious". Outside of this nerdy community a trophy means nothing, within however, it does and it makes a difference if you get a platinum in slyde or super meat boy (quality over quantity). Just my 5 cents

I rode the 'easy platinum' bandwagon for a while but then realized that most of those games are just outright boring and monotonous.

I have a lot of respect for people who managed to play through Resistance 2, Street Fighter IV, Warhawk, Prototype, Battlefield: Bad Company, and some of those other early PS3 games. A game that was short was just made to be a non-platinum title. But today you get crap like Jack n' Jill DX with a platinum, and multiple regions which makes for easy stacking.

Obviously I'm going to value the guy who finished Street Fighter IV over the guy who just stacked a bunch of shitty games, namely Jack n' Jill DX which is a complete rip off of the Mario and Kirby franchises.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I rode the 'easy platinum' bandwagon for a while but then realized that most of those games are just outright boring and monotonous.

I have a lot of respect for people who managed to play through Resistance 2, Street Fighter IV, Warhawk, Prototype, Battlefield: Bad Company, and some of those other early PS3 games. A game that was short was just made to be a non-platinum title. But today you get crap like Jack n' Jill DX with a platinum, and multiple regions which makes for easy stacking.

Obviously I'm going to value the guy who finished Street Fighter IV over the guy who just stacked a bunch of shitty games, namely Jack n' Jill DX which is a complete rip off of the Mario and Kirby franchises.

How about a guy that's done USF4, SF5, Prototype, a bunch of other difficult games as well as shitty games, while maintaining 100% completion, how would you value him?

I don't really hear very much at all about these people, it generally results in silence.

• Like 3

I've always enjoyed a wide variety of games, difficult, medium, easy, huge grind games. There are tonnes of quick easy plats I've got that require next to no effort at all but at the end of it you've still earned em. After I'm done with a big game like warhammer or dead by daylight I love nothing more than being able to chill with a nice little easy none stress fun stupid game or 2 that doesn't require you to constantly be looking shit up of what to do next, having to boost and what not.

I know the easy plats are frowned upon by lots of gamers and should they think any less of me for it I really couldn't give a shiny shite lol. 

Ever since I got my first plat all them years ago the addiction to popping trophies and hearing that wonderful DING started and will not be stopping any time soon. And one of the best things about these easy little games, they RRRRRAIN the dings! :-D 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Demon--Prototype said:

How about a guy that's done USF4, SF5, Prototype, a bunch of other difficult games as well as shitty games, while maintaining 100% completion, how would you value him?

I don't really hear very much at all about these people, it generally results in silence.

Then I will say great job on those difficult games.

But I tend to think that the leaderboards is really just a measure of how much time someone has and how much money they got. There are a lot of guys at the top who have some really impressive stuff under their belt, but when their list consists of hundreds of Japanese visual novels that they completed in a matter of minutes, are they really playing to enjoy the games or are they simply just increasing their trophy count?

I could go that route but you have to import those games, which are expensive and I just don't have that kind of money to be doing that.

• Like 1

Who cares how much easy platinums you got over the months or years? At the end of the day everyone enjoys their hobby. As long as you are polite to others while it doesn't get to your head, it's fine.

Sometimes after I completed a long platinum (I'm playing Disgaea 4 again right now after I plated it on the vita 2 years ago) I play these easy games aswell to stay competetive for myself and not for others. Nearly nobody's looking at your profile anyway. It's for your own satisfaction, so run wild as long as you enjoy and love trophy hunting.?

Edited by aiccChaos
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Demon--Prototype said:

No, you should say great job on having the skill to complete those difficult games, the endurance to complete hundreds of VNs, and the determination to complete anything that comes their way.

If you can't understand what it takes to do all the above simultaneously, and need to ask something as ridiculous as "do they enjoy those games" then you have no idea what this is about mate.

My profile is a joke compared to some people on here. As a result, i don't voice my opinion very often on these topics. But when i see people like you, generalize gamers and "claim" they could do this or that, its hard not to put things into perspective...

Which again, comes down to money. Time and money are a big factor for the leaderboards, they mainly show that someone has more time than someone else. 

If this is about proving something, then they have definitely done that. But doing all the above simultaneously just isn’t feasible for most people, including myself. This is going beyond just playing a game for fun, it’s more of a competition. 

Don’t let somebody who has better stats put you down. There will always be someone better, especially in the world of video games. You just have to make due with your abilities. 

Putting in the participation trophy and striving to complete games and enjoying them should be the only things that matter. 

I can definitely jot down games that guarantee a quick platinum, but that just isn’t me. Apparently you’re someone who likes going after those, being in the top 750 is no easy feat. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Because in any field of any thing, there's elitist douchebags, and elitist douchebags will always be elitist, and douchebags.

Edit: Lol. I got a notification for my comment being liked, I'm like, "but I just did it", and apparently I made a comment back on the first page of this way back when that was effectively the same thing, but with some more words. Love it.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 5:41 AM, Ric said:

article-1299114-0A9ED170000005DC-996_964

It's interesting how the Spam is flying away from itself at both the entry and the exit point. 

Regarding the thread topic, I think some people just like to marginalize anyone who is different than them, and others don't care. The ones who don't care generally don't vocalize. (I just wanted to comment on the spam picture but figured I should keep it on topic.) 

I once commented on a thread about a random message I received from a stranger offering to sell me trophies, wondering why they would target me for something like that. The first person who replied commented that I didn't have a lot of platinum or good trophies so I should just start a new account. Umm... What? Where did that come from? 

I just do not understand some people. But ultimately, they don't matter anyway. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

Which again, comes down to money. Time and money are a big factor for the leaderboards, they mainly show that someone has more time than someone else. 

If this is about proving something, then they have definitely done that. But doing all the above simultaneously just isn’t feasible for most people, including myself. This is going beyond just playing a game for fun, it’s more of a competition. 

Don’t let somebody who has better stats put you down. There will always be someone better, especially in the world of video games. You just have to make due with your abilities. 

Putting in the participation trophy and striving to complete games and enjoying them should be the only things that matter. 

I can definitely jot down games that guarantee a quick platinum, but that just isn’t me. Apparently you’re someone who likes going after those, being in the top 750 is no easy feat. 

So true. So much money too. Time well you maybe surprised. After all Time is Money and those with money know the value of their time. Anyway who cares the important thing is this thread continues to divide those that have and could against those that don't. The problem with those that can is that they can alot and in alot of areas. Those that don't, well why do they keep needing validation of the cans. It is not worth it, you will never get it and at the end of the day nothing changes. 

But please carry on every one of these threads used to inspire me to once try and do something for this community. Now it just makes me smile knowing I am directing my money and time elsewhere. Maybe you should too

Edit : @cjshaitan how many of these threads do you have on here ?

Edited by cjshaitan

6 minutes ago, Banana_Sausage47 said:

Jeez, this is the first time I've seen this thread and some of the posts are hurting my brain. I don't want to live on this planet anymore if people get in huge debates over the "quality" of someone's PlayStation trophy collection. 

I totally agree. This thread should have been closed along time ago. It is just an eccentric wank fest for people like me. To be honest if I were a mod I would have closed most of my threads by now. 

49 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Weep, mortals, for the Anti-Christ (this thread) returns again!

Definitely the Anti-Christ.

I get a very bizarre sense of feelgood knowing that some of my outspoken opinions probably triggered somebody out there who looks at trophy hunting differently than I do.

Because obviously I can't comment on a whole bunch of easy games that were done in a matter of minutes from my own perspective without some sort of criticism lobbed at me.

I will play anything and everything that looks fun. My standards are lower for PS Vita so I play some shorter and easier games on that. But I can also see the fun in grinding or going for more difficult stuff too. Doing only one thing or the other would bore me to bits and no leaderboard or outsider's opinion will prevent me from having fun the way I want to.

Trophy hunting is a bit like food. A 3 star dinner is fine but sometimes fastfood can be equally good. Only eating fastfood is not healthy, but when you only go out to Michelin restaurants every day then you are probably just out to prove something. Better to strike a nice balance and enjoy it all. But that's my own opinion, feel free to wipe your arse with it.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

1 hour ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Only eating fastfood is not healthy

Yep. But when you point that out, you're being met with a shower of "don't marginalize me!", "I live my life how I want!" and "pressing 'skip text' in visual novels is a feat of endurance!". It reminds me of fat acceptance movement, ironically.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

It was @Gommes_

Give him a slow death for this 

I love you too. ?

Btw. how can so many people be so annoyed by a thread? Last time I've checked this is a forum where nerds discuss nerdy stuff. And not everybody is here since day 1 and probably never stated his or her opinions on certain topics.

Edited by Gommes_
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SolarCat02 said:

Regarding the thread topic, I think some people just like to marginalize anyone who is different than them, and others don't care. The ones who don't care generally don't vocalize. (I just wanted to comment on the spam picture but figured I should keep it on topic.) 

It's the great problem with the internet in general. 

Somehow, I agree with most everyone in the thread, but only partially. I will say that, yes, I sometimes judge people's gaming habits based on their trophies. I expect some people judge me. However, my judgments are in private (whether good or bad).

I really liked the fast food reference, because it seems to explain my own habits. I generally like to play fun, meaningful games. But sometimes, I too like the quick plat, solely to hear the PING!s in quick succession. But too much fast food makes me sick, and so too does too many easy plats.

The fact acceptance comparison is also apt for the "don't marginalize me!" crowd. Live how you want, but don't expect all people to agree with your choices. 

And finally, @DrBloodmoney was spot on. How did this thread get resurrected? To send it to its grave, let me put in a totally irrelevant Simpsons reference that will begin as something funny, but ultimately drive you to insanity:

• Like 1

It's not like all easy games have high completion percentages anyway, and vice versa. I platted Bloodborne, which I personally thought was rather challenging, and yet 22% of people on this site platted it also, which doesn't even make the trophy rare, let alone ultra rare. Then Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (which admittedly doesn't have a plat) contains an ultra rare trophy despite the trophy in question not being difficult in the slightest.

I don't give a damn about peoples completion rates, country ranking, how many plats people have... just enjoy playing your games how you want to play them. I personally enjoy playing through a game and then going back to 100% them regardless of how easier or hard they are. Other people might like to play through once and then on to the next game but who gives a damn really. I think if this is a problem for people they need to seek some sort of professional help or get a few more hobbies outside of gaming.