Star Wars Battlefront 2 microtransactions removed (for now at least)

Superbuu3

The complaining worked, I do hope people acknowledge that EA have done this and don't just act like they should do it, many companies don't and I think this is a huge step forward.

Thank you to everyone in our community for being the passionate fans that you are.

Our goal has always been to create the best possible game for all of you – devoted Star Wars fans and game players alike. We’ve also had an ongoing commitment to constantly listen, tune and evolve the experience as it grows. You’ve seen this with both the major adjustments, and polish, we have made over the past several weeks.

But as we approach the worldwide launch, it's clear that many of you feel there are still challenges in the design. We’ve heard the concerns about potentially giving players unfair advantages. And we’ve heard that this is overshadowing an otherwise great game. This was never our intention. Sorry we didn’t get this right.

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

We have created a game that is built on your input, and it will continue to evolve and grow. Star Wars Battlefront II is three times the size of the previous game, bringing to life a brand new Star Wars story, space battles, epic new multiplayer experiences across all three Star Wars eras, with more free content to come. We want you to enjoy it, so please keep your thoughts coming. And we will keep you updated on our progress.

Source:

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/pre-launch-update

Edited by Superbuu3

As I said minutes ago, they better remove those pieces of shit permanently!

I don’t care all the excuses and reasons such as “they need money for maintening the servers”, they should simply be happy with the millions of sales the could get if it wasn’t of all the controversies. No doubt that there’ll be less copies sold than planned.

[Angry Joe Mode On] They done fucked it up! [Mode Off] And your game deserves to fail hard!

Edited by Maxie Mouse
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Maxie Mouse said:

I don’t care all the excuses and reasons such as “they need money for maintening the servers”, they should simply be happy with the millions of sales the could get if it wasn’t of all the controversies. No doubt that there’ll be less copies sold than planned.

[Angry Joe Mode On] They done fucked it up! [Mode Off] And your game deserves to fail hard!

They said they had it in place so that maps and characters and game cotent could be added for free. Don't confuse crap other people are saying for justification. Uniting a player base is a very good reason for doing stuff, they just need to make a system that is fair to the player base and gives no advantages to anyone.

• Like 1

I will just Copy & Paste what I said in the previous thread.

Usually EA ignores all the fan outrage on shit from their games but since Star Wars is just a borrowed IP from Disney.

I feel like Disney was like "What the fuck, why are people talking shit about the new Star Wars game? What did you do? This is a PR Nightmare, FIX THIS BEFORE IT DAMAGES THE BRAND!!"

WGcJSAc.gif

I am happy that the Internet got enraged when EA responded to complaints of Luke and Darth Vader being locked even after paying 80 dollars for the game (I guess the user bought the deluxe edition). This was EA's responds and as you can see it has -676,000 votes making the most downvoted comment in Reddit History. EA would later try to host a Reddit AMA on the same subreddit to of course wide spread anger.

CtZbox5.png

Also just found the reason why Disney is furious, it is because people on twitter have made a media campaign in accusing EA and Disney of pushing child gambling and some of the media is believing it: http://fortune.com/2017/11/15/star-wars-battlefront-gambling-disney-electronic-arts-loot-box-crate/?iid=sr-link1

Also Belgium is looking into Battlefront 2 to see if it classifies as gambling. I am surprised that big news media are now picking up the story:  http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/16/technology/battlefront-ii-star-wars-game-gambling/index.html

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, TheVader66 said:

...Usually EA ignores all the fan outrage on shit from their games but since Star Wars is just a borrowed IP from Disney.

I feel like Disney was like "What the fuck, why are people talking shit about the new Star Wars game? What did you do? This is a PR Nightmare, FIX THIS BEFORE IT DAMAGES THE BRAND!!"....

Actually that's a good point. I wonder how Disney reacted to this. Maybe they get rid of the microtransactions permanetly because they don't want to piss off Disney (because money)

Edited by dermarx

6 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

If the dlc is free, than it really isn't any different than what R* does with GTAO

I completely agree with this. I mean Rockstar makes sure any chance people can farm cash is shut down fast you can't even steal cars to sell often. On top of that hackers were still in game for years only more recently have they started to shut themdown but if we pay real cash for shit hackers should be shut down fast.

Although people will argue that everything is available with in game cash, despite the fact prices are overinflated, they never put in the stock market online, and that you have to spend a ridiculous amount just to get the bases and you are essentially buying spawn points, as the flats have little function. Also GTA set a precedent that now means its ok to do microtransactions. They didn't listen to fans at all.

You really think that Disney didn't know about the micro transactions ? You really think that EA didn't show the game to Disney before the lunch ? than you don't actually know how the big companies deal with us players. What kind of idiot having a brand like Star Wars didn't want to see the final product. So i'm 100% sure that Disney knew about this just didn't realize how bad the gaming community will respond end of story.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

If the dlc is free, than it really isn't any different than what R* does with GTAO

7 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

I completely agree with this. I mean Rockstar makes sure any chance people can farm cash is shut down fast you can't even steal cars to sell often. On top of that hackers were still in game for years only more recently have they started to shut themdown but if we pay real cash for shit hackers should be shut down fast.

Although people will argue that everything is available with in game cash, despite the fact prices are overinflated, they never put in the stock market online, and that you have to spend a ridiculous amount just to get the bases and you are essentially buying spawn points, as the flats have little function. Also GTA set a precedent that now means its ok to do microtransactions. They didn't listen to fans at all.

I completely disagree with this as there's much more wrong with Battlefront II than there is with GTA V.

GTA V has a great single player campaign that is worth the full price even if there had not been any multiplayer. The multiplayer part of GTA V is the same great open world as the single player game with lots of stuff to do, except now you can also use real money to buy specific things. You can choose yourself what items and upgrades to buy, it's not a game of chance. 

If the above paragraph had still been true if I didn't write 'GTA V' but 'Battlefront II', you can bet that I would still be getting the game, and there would not have been an outrage.

• Like 1

It isn't like GTA for two major reasons. At least from how I remember the GTA system;

1. In GTA you can use your purchased money to buy whatever you want in the game, which is the complete opposite of a randomized loot box system.

2. GTA microtransactions are not built in a way that impedes player progression if you choose to not use them. Someone can't spend hundreds right out of the bat and completely dominate regular users in competitive modes.

These are two enormous differences and are the entire source of anger. Totally different scenarios. Please, eveeyone, stop trying to defend these manipulative practices that EA had put in BF2. Even if it is just a small defense. Please. Think about how this can and has began to transform the entire industry (I know it didn't begin here...).

I am still personally going to wait for at least a year before I pick this up. EA has destroyed what little trust I ever had in them at this point, despite their recent rollback.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maxie Mouse said:

That would be the ideal situation but this is EA. They aren't going to do that unless their is a large enough revolt or the sales numbers meet below expectations.  

@Cubone@BeautifulTorment

Common arguements for battlefront 2:

• Allows players who pay to have access to more and better stuff
  • Gives advantage to those players in vs modes or just in the sandbox
  • Game has been easily hackable meaning lots of people are getting all the stuff you pay for for free and no effort

Can you deny those?

4 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

I am still personally going to wait for at least a year before I pick this up. EA has destroyed what little trust I ever had in them at this point, despite their recent rollback.

I'll join you in waiting. If I buy the game at all at this point, it will be for €10 and it will be a used copy.

2 minutes ago, Terra said:

That would be the ideal situation but this is EA. They aren't going to do that unless their is a large enough revolt or the sales numbers meet below expectations.  

I can only imagine how many cancellations they've seen already for them to put a full stop on the microtransactions.

That, and an angry Disney CEO on the phone.

Just now, Superbuu3 said:

@Cubone@BeautifulTorment

• Game has been easily hackable meaning lots of people are getting all the stuff you pay for for free and no effort

Can you deny those?

Are you going to replicate Trump's "whataboutism" now?

Any alleged mistakes in GTA V do not excuse Battlefront II from making the same mistakes and more.

And, once again:

13 minutes ago, Cubone said:

I completely disagree with this as there's much more wrong with Battlefront II than there is with GTA V.

GTA V has a great single player campaign that is worth the full price even if there had not been any multiplayer. The multiplayer part of GTA V is the same great open world as the single player game with lots of stuff to do, except now you can also use real money to buy specific things. You can choose yourself what items and upgrades to buy, it's not a game of chance. 

If the above paragraph had still been true if I didn't write 'GTA V' but 'Battlefront II', you can bet that I would still be getting the game, and there would not have been an outrage.

What I said in this post is still true. Even if GTA V isn't perfect, it's much, much better than Battlefront II. The statements you make about the mistakes in the GTA V multiplayer do not make my statement any less true even if I agree with them.

2 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

@Cubone@BeautifulTorment

Can you deny those?

If you're talking about GTA then yes, I can deny the first two easily and then question what the third point has to do with anything. I am also talking from the perspective of when I played the game like 3 or 4 years ago so things could have changed.

The majority of things in GTA that you could buy with real money you could also (very easily) unlock with earned in game money. Also it was entirely cosmetic since it was pretty much only new flashy vehicles that you could buy. Nothing impeded the players that didn't spend real money.

Why are you so adamant to defend these practices? I can agree that GTA would be better if there were no microtransactions if that is the point you're trying to make.

I am somewhat conceding that microtransactions are here to stay, but that this special brand of EA psychological manipulation has crossed the line of what is reasonable.

9 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Are you going to replicate Trump's "whataboutism" now?

Any alleged mistakes in GTA V do not excuse Battlefront II from making the same mistakes and more.

And, once again:

What I said in this post is still true. Even if GTA V isn't perfect, it's much, much better than Battlefront II. The statements you make about the mistakes in the GTA V multiplayer do not make my statement any less true even if I agree with them.

No but it implicates both. I say punish all. Trump says don't punish me you didn't punish the other.

Seriously don't try and quote John oliver to make an arguement if you missed the point.

1 minute ago, BeautifulTorment said:

If you're talking about GTA then yes, I can deny the first two easily and then question what the third point has to do with anything. I am also talking from the perspective of when I played the game like 3 or 4 years ago so things could have changed.

The majority of things in GTA that you could buy with real money you could also (very easily) unlock with earned in game money. Also it was entirely cosmetic since it was pretty much only new flashy vehicles that you could buy. Nothing impeded the players that didn't spend real money.

Why are you so adamant to defend these practices? I can agree that GTA would be better if there were no microtransactions if that is the point you're trying to make.

I am somewhat conceding that microtransactions are here to stay, but that this special brand of EA psychological manipulation has crossed the line of what is reasonable.

In GTA a low level player can buy an attack chopper and gun down low level players and steal money off their corpse tats the games system. That is certainly an advantage. That has always been the case.

Very Easily are you serious, check how long it would take you to buy a apartment, a business, a yacht, a combat helicopter, a fast car and a tank. Then see how much time that would take a level 1 player. You also are charged maintenance fees in game, like your mechanic.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

Free roam attack choppers were never an issue when I played. Just go back into your apartment and find a new lobby if you find the 1 in 1000 lobby that that very specific scenario is bothering you. 

But if you're going to dance around the real issues and ignore my talking points then I'm done here. Hopefully the majority see things for how they are.

Edited by BeautifulTorment

Just now, BeautifulTorment said:

Free roam attack choppers were never an issue when I played. Just go back into your apartment and find a new lobby if you find the 1 in 1000 lobby that that very specific scenario is bothering you. 

But if you're going to dance around the real issues and ignore my talkong points then I'm done here. Hopefully the majority see things for how they are.

Im not defending Battlefront its bad, but i'm condemning GTA. Not sure where you thought I was defending Battlefront. I literally said hey need to make it fair to players.

1 minute ago, Superbuu3 said:

Im not defending Battlefront its bad, but i'm condemning GTA. Not sure where you thought I was defending Battlefront. I literally said hey need to make it fair to players.

I just don't think this is the time or placw to talk about GTA. It muddies the waters and definitely comes across as defending EA by changing the direction of the blame.

Like I said before as well, i agree that the microtransactions in GTA are bad, just not as insidious. You seriously think the BF2 system is equally as bad as GTA's? I'm on your side, i just don't want any attention shifted away from this situation. Something has to change and I personally am welcoming any and all pushback. It just has to start somewhere. 

Just now, BeautifulTorment said:

I just don't think this is the time or placw to talk about GTA. It muddies the waters and definitely comes across as defending EA by changing the direction of the blame.

Like I said before as well, i agree that the microtransactions in GTA are bad, just not as insidious. You seriously think the BF2 system is equally as bad as GTA's? I'm on your side, i just don't want any attention shifted away from this situation. Something has to change and I personally am welcoming any and all pushback. It just has to start somewhere. 

OK I'll clarify:

• Firstly I think Battlefront is horrendous, the random nature of there crates and the gambling element is a serious problem
  • Now your use of the word insidious (GTA made microtransactions for player advantages on console games ok and that is what encourages more companies to muscle them in) is the exact word i'd use to describe GTA, it snuck in microtransactions in a way that people were ok with it, while they prevented players from farming cash, which is a major thing, farming is a typical part of gaming, why should efficient farming methods be shut down
  • This momentum should be used for people to point out exactly why non cosmetic microtransactions are damaging games, and forcing gambling and addictive habits. Its really messed up in the bigger picture.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

No but it implicates both. I say punish all. Trump says don't punish me you didn't punish the other.

Seriously don't try and quote John oliver to make an arguement if you missed the point.

In GTA a low level player can buy an attack chopper and gun down low level players and steal money off their corpse tats the games system. That is certainly an advantage. That has always been the case.

Very Easily are you serious, check how long it would take you to buy a apartment, a business, a yacht, a combat helicopter, a fast car and a tank. Then see how much time that would take a level 1 player. You also are charged maintenance fees in game, like your mechanic.

Why do you think I'm quoting John Oliver, and how am I missing the point?

You're trying to say the response to Battlefront II is out of proportion because other games had problems with microtransactions as well. Seems like pretty standard whataboutism to me. Even if you now claim you're not defending Battlefront II, by bringing in GTA V it seems to me and others like you are pretty much defending Battlefront II.

Once again, since you keep brushing off my actual argument: Battlefront II and GTA V are leagues apart. I feel like I've given enough arguments as to why this is the case, as has @BeautifulTorment. GTA V has enough positives to forgive the negatives, Battlefront II has not.

Just now, Cubone said:

Why do you think I'm quoting John Oliver, and how am I missing the point?

You're trying to say the response to Battlefront II is out of proportion because other games had problems with microtransactions as well. Seems like pretty standard whataboutism to me. Even if you now claim you're not defending Battlefront II, by bringing in GTA V it seems to me and others like you are pretty much defending Battlefront II.

Once again, since you keep brushing off my actual argument: Battlefront II and GTA V are leagues apart. I feel like I've given enough arguments as to why this is the case, as has @BeautifulTorment. GTA V has enough positives to forgive the negatives, Battlefront II has not.

At the end of this, its pretty clear.

I have issues with all non cosmetic microtransactions, you have issues with microtransactions in certain games. Thats the basis. That can't be denied.

Also look here:

2 hours ago, Superbuu3 said:

They said they had it in place so that maps and characters and game cotent could be added for free. Don't confuse crap other people are saying for justification. Uniting a player base is a very good reason for doing stuff, they just need to make a system that is fair to the player base and gives no advantages to anyone.

I already said it. So don't act like I changed my stance thats a non edited post before all of yours.

• Like 1