After the SWBF2 player revolt, some FIFA players want in on the action...

StrickenBiged

Reddit thread: 

I wonder, could this be the spark that burns down the microtransaction/loot-box combo tinder box? 

Probably not - the 2 games have vastly different audiences. Still, it would be good if some change came of all this, like the games voluntarily publishing their loot-box odds or drop-rates so that you actually know what you're buying when you buy packs/boxes/etc. 

Edited by StrickenBiged
Replacing link with a better one to whole thread, oops.
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

Reddit thread: 

I wonder, could this be the spark that burns down the microtransaction/loot-box combo tinder box? 

Probably not - the 2 games have vastly different audiences. Still, it would be good if some change came of all this, like the games voluntarily publishing their loot-box odds or drop-rates so that you actually know what you're buying when you buy packs/boxes/etc. 

Wish it would, I have a friend who (no joke) has spent nearly £900 on this UT alone. It's been out 2 months.

Just now, StrickenBiged said:

My wife would kill me...

That's enough for a fairly decent low-end 4kTV and a PS4 Pro. Is he mad? 

People seem to do that a lot, I always thought Ultimate team was awful.

I mean you should be able to play with all your favourite players if you want too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StrickenBiged said:

My wife would kill me...

That's enough for a fairly decent low-end 4kTV and a PS4 Pro. Is he mad? 

I'd have to say he was. The excuse is "because I haven't had anyone good in my packs this year" basically gambling until he gets someone good. Team of the season and Team of the year cards aren't even out yet. So there's no doubt more to come.

The problem with FIFA is to get anyone good, you basically HAVE to spend money. I won't sit here and lie saying I've never spent money on it cause I have. To that extent though? Never. The coins you get from games is abysmal. Your average decent player in the league costs around 15k probably more, you get around 400-600 coins every match. (You get boosts but they last for like 5 games) Not to mention all the other things you have to use coins for, contracts, fitness items making you have less money.

The point is, the coins earned are so poor they basically force you to buy packs to get more coins. 

EDIT: Forgot to add, EA charge you tax on their virtual coins. Every purchase made in game in the transfer market they get 5%. How messed up is that. Their servers have unlimited money numbers and us very limited and they want 5% back!

Edited by Meacham
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Meacham said:

snip

Wow. That's crazy. 

It's probably because it's a completely different audience. I know people who play FIFA and literally nothing else all year. They don't know or even care about the greener pastures, as it were. 

I know that slightly guilty feeling re buying into the system too. I have bought a few Overwatch loot boxes myself in the day, spending a total of probably around £100 extra on the game from launch until the second Summer Games event this summer. This was all during year 1 though, before I realised that any time-limited skins will come up again the following year when they repeat the themed event. Not going to bother with that now that I know my patience will eventually be rewarded. Hopefully they don't miss me and change the way that works!

2 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

Wow. That's crazy. 

It's probably because it's a completely different audience. I know people who play FIFA and literally nothing else all year. They don't know or even care about the greener pastures, as it were. 

I know that slightly guilty feeling re buying into the system too. I have bought a few Overwatch loot boxes myself in the day, spending a total of probably around £100 extra on the game from launch until the second Summer Games event this summer. This was all during year 1 though, before I realised that any time-limited skins will come up again the following year when they repeat the themed event. Not going to bother with that now that I know my patience will eventually be rewarded. Hopefully they don't miss me and change the way that works!

Yup, I done it on Overwatch to but I think the difference is the loot boxes from that were purely cosmetic. At the start atleast (not sure now, haven't played in months) That doesn't annoy me as much as EA business model. I know the supply drops in call of duty got a lot of hate like MW: remastered but I thought the supply drop token earn rate wasn't too bad. 3-4 games to get 10 needed for a common supply drops in my case were significantly better than the rare ones.

Obviously it should just come in patches but it will never happen.

I'm just hoping Rockstar are keeping tabs on this whole scenario and re-think their RDR2 model. That will become boring fast like GTA if you're allowed to buy money which in turn unlocks better guns, faster horses or whatever they plan to include.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2017 at 11:06 AM, Meacham said:

The problem with FIFA is to get anyone good, you basically HAVE to spend money. I won't sit here and lie saying I've never spent money on it cause I have. To that extent though? Never. The coins you get from games is abysmal. Your average decent player in the league costs around 15k probably more, you get around 400-600 coins every match. (You get boosts but they last for like 5 games) Not to mention all the other things you have to use coins for, contracts, fitness items making you have less money.

False. That could have been the case in previous years, but it's not like that anymore. Last FIFA we had the introduction of FUT Champions, that made everyone that played this in a regular basis have a team full of TOTS players by the end of the year, even if they placed only Gold 3 or less every weekend, plus the monthlies, which they gave basically free (untradeable) cards. 

This year is even easier to get coins, with Squad Battles and Daily/Weekly Objetives. Plus, we have SBC's, which you can get lucky once in a while.  I've never spent a penny with FIFA besides the game itself, and i won't ever do that. The 'Road to Glory' aspect of playing without opening packs with real money is what makes me grind this game, it would only make sense for me to have a great team since the beginning if i was a Pro Player. 

On topic, something that happened with SWBF2 will probably never happen with FIFA, since the prices are not that absurd (unless you live in Brazil and a few other countries), and the player base are addicted to opening packs, specially when the Promos come around. Next week we have Black Friday, next month FUTMas (a Christmas themed Promo), and after that, Team of the Year. It's the best time for EA to make money. People that wander around forums and know of those boycotts, are a very little percentage of the community. 

1 minute ago, AtroxBR said:

False. That could have been the case in previous years, but it's not like that anymore. Last FIFA we had the introduction of FUT Champions, that made everyone that played this in a regular basis have a team full of TOTS players by the end of the year, even if they placed only Gold 3 or less every weekend, plus the monthlies, which they gave basically free (untradeable) cards. 

This year is even easier to get coins, with Squad Battles and Daily/Weekly Objetives. Plus, we have SBC's, which you can get lucky once in a while.  I've never spent a penny with FIFA besides the game itself, and i won't ever do that. The 'Road to Glory' aspect of playing without opening packs with real money is what makes me grind this game, it would only make sense for me to have a great team since the beginning if i was a Pro Player. 

On topic, something that happened with SWBF2 will probably never happen with FIFA, since the prices are not that absurd (unless you live in Brazil and a few other countries), and the player base are addicted to opening packs, specially when the Promos come around. Next week we have Black Friday, next month FUTMas (a Christmas themed Promo), and after that, Team of the Year. It's the best time for EA to make money. People that wander around forums and know of those boycotts, are a very little percentage of the community. 

Just because they've added in a couple of things doesn't make what I said false at all. FUT champions introduced playing a ridiculous amount of games to even get anything out of it. 

Again, Squad battles sure it's made the game a tiny bit better but still the packs at the end of the week you're not guaranteed anything from them in the slightest. Not to mention you get them as weekly rewards, so you're waiting around all week for a pack or two, just to get someone that doesn't even sell.

8 minutes ago, Meacham said:

Just because they've added in a couple of things doesn't make what I said false at all. FUT champions introduced playing a ridiculous amount of games to even get anything out of it. 

Again, Squad battles sure it's made the game a tiny bit better but still the packs at the end of the week you're not guaranteed anything from them in the slightest. Not to mention you get them as weekly rewards, so you're waiting around all week for a pack or two, just to get someone that doesn't even sell.

You basically proved my point. Nothing that happened with SWBF2 will happen with FIFA for the simple fact that people prefer the 'easy' way, which you get with opening packs with real money. 

''Oh, but it's too many games to play, it's not worth it''. 45 games of SB per week, 40 games of FUT Champions per weekend, it don't think it's that much. You can even choose to play only one of the game modes, like i'm doing until i get on vacation. I have only played SB since the beginning and placing Elite 1 every week. It gives you 40K and 2 Mega Packs, which you can get lucky or not. I've managed to get over 1 million just by playing SB and trading a little bit. 

42 minutes ago, AtroxBR said:

that is true but it's up to us to spread the word. i speak and explain to all my real life friends why they should stop buying it. at least  the packs and all that microtransactions things.

You basically proved my point. Nothing that happened with SWBF2 will happen with FIFA for the simple fact that people prefer the 'easy' way, which you get with opening packs with real money. 

''Oh, but it's too many games to play, it's not worth it''. 45 games of SB per week, 40 games of FUT Champions per weekend, it don't think it's that much. You can even choose to play only one of the game modes, like i'm doing until i get on vacation. I have only played SB since the beginning and placing Elite 1 every week. It gives you 40K and 2 Mega Packs, which you can get lucky or not. I've managed to get over 1 million just by playing SB and trading a little bit. 

Proved your point how? You said I was false because I said people need to spend money in order to get a good team. Which in turn I replied with they've added in a couple of things which don't make that much difference unless you're on it constantly. My point was that it's been ridiculous to get coins and still is if you don't play it enough. You think 45 games of SB a week is fine, sure 4 games a day then on the weekend more. Which in my opinion is great so people don't over spam it and the casuals don't get left in the dust, points wise. I found it more worrying that it took them nearly 8 years to add in something like it. Not everyone has that time to do that though, let alone the FUT champions 40 online games in one weekend. You might not think it's a lot but that actually is.

The fact it kicked off with Star Wars is more people are invested in the series and the whole FPS aspect of it anyway. It was pay to win. I stand by the fact that you have to spend to get a good team. The fact you get Elite 1 every week shows to me that you can play on the higher difficulties and not everyone can do that, so because they can't do that so they pay for the packs. I never disputed it wasn't the easy way. The only thing I disputed was that earning coins was ridiculous and I still believe that unless FIFA is the only game you're invested in. It's a no brainer that FIFA is one of their biggest incomes for EA which is probably why the coins earned is so low. I agree, it's getting better but honestly. Not that much.

I agree with your posts but only to the extent that if you play it consistently and nothing else.

This is basically my friends in Destiny 1. I have 3 friends who played this game religiously before destiny 2 came out and they're doing the same now for destiny 2. 

Basically they bought the game on ps3, then ps4, then bought all of the expansions separately :facepalm: i.e without like a season pass or something. Basically they spent a good $ 250-300 CAD on one freaking game. 

You'd think they actually feel bad they did, but nope! They're doing the same with Destiny 2. They tried to get me into their destiny craze but it's just not for me. 

I know this is off topic but goes to show many are aware of crappy business practices but no shits are given.

6 minutes ago, Meacham said:

I agree with your posts but only to the extent that if you play it consistently and nothing else.

But that's obvious. You won't get an awesome team within a week, unless you pack a crazy Icon, Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo. It takes time. 

My goal with FIFA is to get a team with Ronaldinho, but that will take a lot of time, and i'm already over 350 matches played. 

With FIFA, is either Pay2Win or Play2Win. The latter takes a lot of time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Garbodor said:

This is basically my friends in Destiny 1. I have 3 friends who played this game religiously before destiny 2 came out and they're doing the same now for destiny 2. 

Basically they bought the game on ps3, then ps4, then bought all of the expansions separately :facepalm: i.e without like a season pass or something. Basically they spent a good $ 250-300 CAD on one freaking game. 

You'd think they actually feel bad they did, but nope! They're doing the same with Destiny 2. They tried to get me into their destiny craze but it's just not for me. 

I know this is off topic but goes to show many are aware of crappy business practices but no shits are given.

I'm always kind of shocked by how common these sort of anecdotes are. I think a lot of people, myself included, can tell similar stories about friends who just don't care and keep going back for some more (like Oliver Twist).  

8 minutes ago, AtroxBR said:

But that's obvious. You won't get an awesome team within a week, unless you pack a crazy Icon, Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo. It takes time. 

My goal with FIFA is to get a team with Ronaldinho, but that will take a lot of time, and i'm already over 350 matches played. 

With FIFA, is either Pay2Win or Play2Win. The latter takes a lot of time. 

Yeah I know it's obvious. I also know you won't get an awesome team in a week. It's not me that needs explaining to. I'd rather it be play2win that way it's fair for absolutely everyone but people are so impatient that it doesn't work like that which is a shame, so many people spam them packs and don't stop until they do see the crazy icons, Messi or Cristiano.

That's a lot of games for 2 months. If people had that dedication it would be great but in my previous posts like the one about my friend, he's spent almost £1000 and all he's got to show for it is the 90 rated Ronaldo and Kluivert. Too outstanding players but he's paid so much in packs that he only really had enough to get them. Which goes to show how crap the packs are to. I think he said he got around 2.5 from that. Now he's bragging about beating people online which is basically bragging about pay2win.

I was lucky enough at the start of the game to pack Lewandowski, my 3rd pack I think and that set me up for a good while.

That's also a great goal. Ronaldinho is one of my absolute faves and would love to have him. Good luck in your journey to get him! ✌️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Meacham said:

Yeah I know it's obvious. I also know you won't get an awesome team in a week. It's not me that needs explaining to. I'd rather it be play2win that way it's fair for absolutely everyone but people are so impatient that it doesn't work like that which is a shame, so many people spam them packs and don't stop until they do see the crazy icons, Messi or Cristiano.

That's a lot of games for 2 months. If people had that dedication it would be great but in my previous posts like the one about my friend, he's spent almost £1000 and all he's got to show for it is the 90 rated Ronaldo and Kluivert. Too outstanding players but he's paid so much in packs that he only really had enough to get them. Which goes to show how crap the packs are to. I think he said he got around 2.5 from that. Now he's bragging about beating people online which is basically bragging about pay2win.

I was lucky enough at the start of the game to pack Lewandowski, my 3rd pack I think and that set me up for a good while.

That's also a great goal. Ronaldinho is one of my absolute faves and would love to have him. Good luck in your journey to get him! 270c.png

The thing is, i don't think there needs to be a boycott about the microtransactions in FIFA, like what happened with Battlefront, with the gameplay and other features would make sense. The casuals/Pro Players/YouTubers that open a lot of packs help to get the players on the market, like what will happen next week with Black Friday, with the so called 'market crash' with the amount of players that will appear on the market. If we didn't have people opening packs, only a few handful of CR7's would appear and would cost way, way more than currently. 

That was lucky, the best player i got was Carrasco Scream out of a Mega Pack when he was worth 120K. Hopefully today i have a better luck to upgrade my team. 

Thanks, man. Good luck with the platinum. HMU if you want help with the Online Friendlies Season. :highfive:

The thing is, i don't think there needs to be a boycott about the microtransactions in FIFA, like what happened with Battlefront, with the gameplay and other features would make sense. The casuals/Pro Players/YouTubers that open a lot of packs help to get the players on the market, like what will happen next week with Black Friday, with the so called 'market crash' with the amount of players that will appear on the market. If we didn't have people opening packs, only a few handful of CR7's would appear and would cost way, way more than currently. 

That was lucky, the best player i got was Carrasco Scream out of a Mega Pack when he was worth 120K. Hopefully today i have a better luck to upgrade my team. 

Thanks, man. Good luck with the platinum. HMU if you want help with the Online Friendlies Season. :highfive:

Oh agreed, I know full well there won't be a boycott.. people just got carried away from the Star Wars victory. Yeah, It all makes sense to me, FIFA literally runs off the packs all I would dispute is make it fair for people who like yourself are Play2win or make the rarity in packs be higher. I mean for 5k you get 1 rare card and half the time it's a contract, the same goes 7.5k. If they just made the rarity on the packs higher, people would invest their coins more.

Extremely lucky, I was lucky I got him at the start of the game, I think he sold for around 220k which in comparison to now he's probably a lot lower in price.

I'll attempt it, thanks, just slowly but surely going through the single player divisions to get to 1.. I'm not good enough to do it online. :P 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paranoia_agent85 said:

I'm always kind of shocked by how common these sort of anecdotes are. I think a lot of people, myself included, can tell similar stories about friends who just don't care and keep going back for some more (like Oliver Twist).  

I mean it doesn't bother me. Their money, their business but goes to show that so long as there are people who don't care, lootboxes, microtransactions will continue

• Like 1