Loving LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2!

Maisy

LEGO%C2%AE-MARVEL-Super-Heroes-2_2017111

Playing this game is so different from other LEGO games. The overall scope of everything you can do in the open world, plus the story, and the pink brick missions...this is no Marvel Super Heroes 1, it's as crisp as LEGO Marvel Avengers. but with more characters better mechanics, and oh boy, the fights are quite good, no simple smashing or timing per se, it takes effort to whittle down (some specific) enemies health and of course, the bosses.

I love the story, and missing DeadPool... that's another story.

I love how the icons work pm the map, for the most, I have had it glitch once and not show active markers on my minimap. Restarting the game worked to fix that.

[I have the disc version of the game.]

These screenshots are from different Levels.

How things are setup with menus, and the characters overlay, level ending overlays, etc. We have a super comic book feel to it all. More than any other LEGO game I've played. One feature I love is the Billboard hacking. It is fun making pics to put on billboards. <---- Nice, just want to access those pics online ... 

• Like 4

On 11/17/2017 at 9:42 AM, Maisy said:

Playing this game is so different from other LEGO games. The overall scope of everything you can do in the open world, plus the story, and the pink brick missions...this is no Marvel Super Heroes 1, it's as crisp as LEGO Marvel Avengers. but with more characters better mechanics, and oh boy, the fights are quite good, no simple smashing or timing per se, it takes effort to whittle down (some specific) enemies health and of course, the bosses.

I love the story, and missing DeadPool... that's another story.

I love how the icons work pm the map, for the most, I have had it glitch once and not show active markers on my minimap. Restarting the game worked to fix that.

[I have the disc version of the game.]

These screenshots are from different Levels.

How things are setup with menus, and the characters overlay, level ending overlays, etc. We have a super comic book feel to it all. More than any other LEGO game I've played. One feature I love is the Billboard hacking. It is fun making pics to put on billboards. <---- Nice, just want to access those pics online ... 

Haven't gotten to the open-world yet, but I like Star-Lord's combat moves. Tell me, are the vehicles pathing just as good as Lego Batman 3/Lego Avenger's (discounting the awful Panther cycle), or it is cruddy like the first Super Heroes'? I'm glad that Ben Reilly's in the game (the reborn version in the comics now, is just awful!!), but I wonder if Miles and Kaine will be in the game? Or, God forbid, Superior Spider-Man. Or hell, Silk!!? Spider-Girl?? I want the rest of the Spider-Family in this game :( Hmm, aren't The Champions supposed to make an appearance? So, Riri, Nova, sucky Hulk, Viv, Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales, and if Disney could buy FOX, maybe young Cyclops. Oh my, new Thor is in the game! :o 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad at least someone seems to be enjoying this game unconditionnaly. Between the often terrible controls and camera, the constant crashes and glitches I've gotten to detest the developers even more than usual. It's a disgrace how often I had to replay a stage or mission because some event just couldn't be bothered to be triggered or because the game just had to be shut down. The races are as stupid as before with the camera zoomed in so much that you can't see anything but a small corridor in front of you (at least in two player mode) and they even managed to make the flying controls worse.

And the worst part about it is that they obviously not only didn't care enough to fix these problems, they went out of their way to create some of them: If you want to take a picture, you have to press L1, then switch to the other camera mode using traingle every single time and then move painstakingly slowly to face the correct way because for some stupid reason it never faces the direction you were looking in before. If you are working on a gold brick that requires multiple steps, then you better know beforehand where to go, because everything will reset if you take a step in the wrong direction.

If the second player does one of the puzzles involving Doctor Strange you too only get to move in slow motion.

There are certain challenges that require you to do the same thing multiple times and while some of them include a helpful list of where you have already completed them others do not. It's one thing not to think of including a feature like this, but only putting it in for half of the things just shows how little you could be bothered to finish your game - and seeing how they never felt any need to even fix game breaking glitches in previous games, they probably will keep this game in an incomplete state as well.

As for the boss fights: In most cases this just means that instead of punching them you get to punch them and then wait a while before you are allowed to punch them again, yawn. Especially great if in between such phases minions are supposed to spawn but simply don't or do so in a different area of the map.

Yes, the game has some lovable moments and like any other Lego game it is generally solid, but unless one is lucky enough not to be affected by these countless glitches (maybe I'm in the minority here or even the only one) and the resulting restarts (the loading times are massive as well), then I think any recommendation should be accompanied by a clear warning concerning its obvious shortcomings. So far I'm still waiting for one of those crashes to destroy my save file, the next time I start the game I'll find out if getting kicked out of the game earlier managed to do that...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Karlsson89 said:

I'm glad at least someone seems to be enjoying this game unconditionnaly. Between the often terrible controls and camera, the constant crashes and glitches I've gotten to detest the developers even more than usual. It's a disgrace how often I had to replay a stage or mission because some event just couldn't be bothered to be triggered or because the game just had to be shut down.

Do the story trophies still pop if the game crashes mid-level or you have to quit because it bugs? Was rather annoyed when LEGO Star Wars crashed mid-level because it meant you had to redo everything in the level story mode, as reloading after the crash and finishing the level doesn't unlock the trophy as it doesn't register as you beating the level, you only did the latter sections.

8 hours ago, madbuk said:

Do the story trophies still pop if the game crashes mid-level or you have to quit because it bugs? Was rather annoyed when LEGO Star Wars crashed mid-level because it meant you had to redo everything in the level story mode, as reloading after the crash and finishing the level doesn't unlock the trophy as it doesn't register as you beating the level, you only did the latter sections.

I remember two instances where I had to restart a level and upon reloading began immediately within said level, and both times I got the trophy. But I think both times it was before the checkpoint, so it might be different then. The other two levels had neither checkpoints or trophies so they were different as well. So sorry, I probably wouldn't know whether this can deny you a trophy. But seeing how my player two didn't get the trophy for the first level because we couldn't add them before it started, I think it is very likely that what you describe can happen here.

• 3 weeks later...

On 12/3/2017 at 9:57 PM, Karlsson89 said:

I'm glad at least someone seems to be enjoying this game unconditionnaly. Between the often terrible controls and camera, the constant crashes and glitches I've gotten to detest the developers even more than usual. It's a disgrace how often I had to replay a stage or mission because some event just couldn't be bothered to be triggered or because the game just had to be shut down. The races are as stupid as before with the camera zoomed in so much that you can't see anything but a small corridor in front of you (at least in two player mode) and they even managed to make the flying controls worse.

And the worst part about it is that they obviously not only didn't care enough to fix these problems, they went out of their way to create some of them: If you want to take a picture, you have to press L1, then switch to the other camera mode using traingle every single time and then move painstakingly slowly to face the correct way because for some stupid reason it never faces the direction you were looking in before. If you are working on a gold brick that requires multiple steps, then you better know beforehand where to go, because everything will reset if you take a step in the wrong direction.

If the second player does one of the puzzles involving Doctor Strange you too only get to move in slow motion.

There are certain challenges that require you to do the same thing multiple times and while some of them include a helpful list of where you have already completed them others do not. It's one thing not to think of including a feature like this, but only putting it in for half of the things just shows how little you could be bothered to finish your game - and seeing how they never felt any need to even fix game breaking glitches in previous games, they probably will keep this game in an incomplete state as well.

As for the boss fights: In most cases this just means that instead of punching them you get to punch them and then wait a while before you are allowed to punch them again, yawn. Especially great if in between such phases minions are supposed to spawn but simply don't or do so in a different area of the map.

Yes, the game has some lovable moments and like any other Lego game it is generally solid, but unless one is lucky enough not to be affected by these countless glitches (maybe I'm in the minority here or even the only one) and the resulting restarts (the loading times are massive as well), then I think any recommendation should be accompanied by a clear warning concerning its obvious shortcomings. So far I'm still waiting for one of those crashes to destroy my save file, the next time I start the game I'll find out if getting kicked out of the game earlier managed to do that...

Regardless of the games potential shortcomings - this critique comes across as over the top negative. The actual feedback is worthy, but the impression you are giving is that you aren't really enjoying the experience and haven't enjoyed it in the past based on what you referenced at the beginning. Which begs the question - if you've had an overwhelmingly negative experience with the developer, terrible controls, camera, crashes and glitches and going into this game with those same expectations - why bother going into playing this new one in the first place?

I'm not justifying the bugs and issues that these games tend to have, but it seems a bit silly to keep playing games that provoke such a condemning and negative reaction no?

Bugs aside - I'm having a blast with this one - It's pretty much everything i've come to expect from a Lego game based on a popular IP. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 2

For one, most of the time the games don't put that much emphasis on overtly stupid aspects as flying or racing in general. For example, Lego Indiana Jones 2 had infernal races but there were only two or so that were really bad. You could finish them, then you were done and you could enjoy the rest of the game. Here you have to do ten times as many and they even managed to make the controls more terrible than what previously was the worst they had done in this aspect.

Additionally it has been more than a year since the last new Lego game, so I was stupid enough to think that the developers actually took the time needed to finish the game. The constant crashes are a rather new phenomenon, it feels as if they simply don't know how to properly handle development on the PS4, and I had hoped that there might be an improvement over time.

Lastly, there simply are not that many alternatives :) There are less and less multiplayer offline games and if you further narrow the search to games similiar to this you probably won't find many results.

• 2 weeks later...

This game sucks. Easily the worst Lego game of all time. I usually love the original stories like the Lego Batman games and the first Lego Marvel Superheroes but this game was rushed, they put more time and effort into Lego Ninjago and this game suffered for it by splitting the production team to work on multiple games to be released within a month of each other. This one is full of bugs, worse than normal, along with a few trophy glitches that make the platinum unobtainable to a lot of people.

Edited by Spraragen88
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, lots of bugs/glitches had me restart 5 times before I realized that the second player "Dancing" as a star lord was causing the error, like really?  This is the worst lego game thus far for me right up there with Star Wars the force Awakens, and i've played the Lego Games since they were on PS2/PS3, I didn't even bother to finish it, but then again....I'm not a 100%er or a trophy hunter.

Ninjago was great though, I just hope the quality is as good as their Lego Sets, because I own more of those then I do Video Games.

• 1 month later...