Young Trophy hunters.

Extratenzy

On 11/21/2017 at 6:19 AM, TheLastSurvivorD said:

Nice to see fellow young trophy hunters around here. We're not that much apart in age either, OP. :D

I believe I started taking an interest in the trophy and achievement systems when I was 9 years old, playing Skate 2 and LittleBigPlanet (both my first two platinums, though on an account I've long since lost). I honestly don't accurately remember the story as to how I realized their existence. Maybe I just found them when searching the XMB and decided to look out for opportunities to unlock those trophies if they came up. As I've always kept to myself about gaming in general, I've never gotten questions about trophy hunting and have only ever told one of my closer cousins, a friend of mine, and my older brother about my hobby, none of which cared, minded, or thought any differently about me. 

A hundred and some games later, I'm glad I found trophy hunting when I did, as it (and, only when I started to seriously hunt trophies, the people of this website as well) opened my eyes to all of the other genres of video games. If I hadn't found it, I would probably be playing all of the NBA games and first-person shooters on PS3 and PS4 that have came out, as they are much more popular than anything else over here. I would've likely missed all of the actual gems and great games that the PS3 library has had to offer. Many trophy lists give incentive to play and experience the game in almost all (if not all) of its entirety, and, as Kittet said, you go deeper into a game and notice more than otherwise playing normally. 

sorry for the late reply, anyways

TOTALLY! without PSNP i would've not known those hidden gems, its really weird seeing that just a website got you into a specific genre of games. :)

On 11/21/2017 at 6:58 PM, Orenn16 said:

I always hear so many "younger" folks say "trophies are dumb. Trophies don't matter!" That always makes me sad, so I'm super happy seeing a thread like this.Glad to know that the hobby can be enjoyed at any age. I started in 2009/2010, when I was 19 and just starting college, so I don't think I ever could count myself as a super young trophy hunter. I did always enjoy 100%ing games on Nintendo systems long before I picked up a Sony console with Trophies though!

Anyway, 8 years later and I still enjoy hearing that trophy "bling" noise over and over again. 

150 plats after 8 years isn't as impressive compared to some of the other guys on this site, but see if you guys can pass it up by the time you've been collecting for as long!

tbh, the best thing about trophies is the feeling that you get when you hear thet "Bling" and the "You've earned a trophy!" in the upper right of your TV lol

and yeah that "Bling" sound never gets old! lol

150 plats is still insane! 

but at the end of the day it doesn't matter how many plats do you have, its about what plats/100%s/trophies do you have ;)

23 hours ago, Feral said:

I was 22 when I got interested in trophies so not that young.

I'm one of those scary 27 year olds lol.

damn man! you're one of those very rare people in the world! xD 

Edited by SniperEliteDido
  • Like 2

Trophies weren’t a thing when I was that young, but I’ve always aimed to 100% complete my games. It was my Dad’s influence. When I was a kid I’d tell him I’d beat a game and if I hadn’t collected or unlocked every single thing then he would suggest I go back upstairs and do it again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vrisnem said:

Trophies weren’t a thing when I was that young, but I’ve always aimed to 100% complete my games. It was my Dad’s influence. When I was a kid I’d tell him I’d beat a game and if I hadn’t collected or unlocked every single thing then he would suggest I go back upstairs and do it again. 

Haha! i feel you! completing something and especially when it's hard gives you a really good satisfaction! :)

I got my first Platinum 6 Years ago when I was 10,  and then over the years I became obsessed with it, I am autistic and It's my special interest.I plat games I enjoy rather then plating games just for platinum, I am a part of a rare few who actually enjoyed I am Mayo, I like the repetitiveness of it.  My dad got me into trophy hunting  as he does it and he is 50. 

22 hours ago, Loz_42 said:

I got my first Platinum 6 Years ago when I was 10,  and then over the years I became obsessed with it, I am autistic and It's my special interest.I plat games I enjoy rather then plating games just for platinum, I am a part of a rare few who actually enjoyed I am Mayo, I like the repetitiveness of it.  My dad got me into trophy hunting  as he does it and he is 50. 

thats really interesting... having a dad who does the same must be really fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I made my PSN account back in 2013 and at first just played for fun, not really paying attention to trophies. For like 2 years all I did was play MW3 but was very surprised to see I had such a low percentage in trophies so decided to play the story again to get my percentage up. I then started doing that with most games I owned so I got the feeling of getting the most out of my games and not missing out on anything. I mainly focus on trophy hunting nowadays but still enjoy casual gaming and try to always have a game I can just play for fun without having to worry about doing any trophies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mdshaf1 said:

I made my PSN account back in 2013 and at first just played for fun, not really paying attention to trophies. For like 2 years all I did was play MW3 but was very surprised to see I had such a low percentage in trophies so decided to play the story again to get my percentage up. I then started doing that with most games I owned so I got the feeling of getting the most out of my games and not missing out on anything. I mainly focus on trophy hunting nowadays but still enjoy casual gaming and try to always have a game I can just play for fun without having to worry about doing any trophies.

yeah! i was the same with Battlefield 3. i was obssesed with it that i cared about getting everything in the game, and trophies was one of the things i was going after then i liked to trophy hunt games that are fun :) 

Iam 29 my gaming expirience goes back to the early-mid 90´s so most of the time i didnt cared about throphies when they came up but i finished my first platinum around 5-6 years ago i started to collect them and 2 years ago i started from scratch since like to have 100% on statistics or profiles.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

It's kind of funny reading the OP's story as it resonates in an old timer like me. I started gaming on the Commodore 64 when I was around 10 - that was in 1984. Computer games were played by a minority back then, my parents wondered why I wasted my time on them, most friends couldn't see the appeal either. They grabbed me right from the start.

The only difference here are trophies, back then it was high scores, take a photo and send it into Commodore User magazine. Tried to do it myself for Horace Goes Skiing but couldn't get the photo to come out on my dad's camera. Spent hours completing Wizball on a black and white TV, quite a challenge when you had to re-colour the world. Friends said "why did you do that?"

I envy those of you that started gaming in the era of trophies, I'd love to see my gaming history on a profile, starting at Horace Goes Skiing, Clumsy Colin, Yie Ar Kung-Fu, IK+, The Last Ninja etc etc.

In a nutshell your story is not much different to mine 30 years on.

Damn kids these days are spoiled, back in my time we barely had 16 bits and we liked it! Day in and day out I would slosh through pixels big enough to count out to music that sounded like someone was being cruel to a modem and we kept going back to Japan and asking for more. Games were harder back then too, caused me to develop male pattern baldness as a toddler and I was respected for it.

• 4 years later...