Wolfenstein 2 Sales

I know I should make this thread more general and not exclusively to Wolfenstein, but the Mein Leben debacle got me wondering. In fact I've been wondering about this for quite some time now. 

I'm seeing Wolf 2 here at around less than 7,000 players. I'm well aware of the massive divide between Sony statistics and this website. I also know if you plug in ANY psn name it is here FOREVER. I know because my best friend hates trophies and I put his name in and updated it and now he's here like it or not lol. 

So my question is, what do people think about this game's overall sales? Do you think it sold so low because of the subject matter? Violence? The sensitivity of our time with politics? Do you think trophy hunters are so massive in volume and boycotted this game because of the Mein Leben trophy?

I ask because I'm now 90% done with wolf 2 and I love it. Regardless of that stupid trophy. Still, I'm super curious how a game this good with such a good story and amongst zero AAA shooter competitors  (besides cod ww2 obv) could do this badly. 

I know that was a lot of questions lol. Sorry. But thoughts?

9 minutes ago, nikolistary said:

I know I should make this thread more general and not exclusively to Wolfenstein, but the Mein Leben debacle got me wondering. In fact I've been wondering about this for quite some time now. 

I'm seeing Wolf 2 here at around less than 7,000 players. I'm well aware of the massive divide between Sony statistics and this website. I also know if you plug in ANY psn name it is here FOREVER. I know because my best friend hates trophies and I put his name in and updated it and now he's here like it or not lol. 

So my question is, what do people think about this game's overall sales? Do you think it sold so low because of the subject matter? Violence? The sensitivity of our time with politics? Do you think trophy hunters are so massive in volume and boycotted this game because of the Mein Leben trophy?

I ask because I'm now 90% done with wolf 2 and I love it. Regardless of that stupid trophy. Still, I'm super curious how a game this good with such a good story and amongst zero AAA shooter competitors  (besides cod ww2 obv) could do this badly. 

I know that was a lot of questions lol. Sorry. But thoughts?

I have only played one wolfenstein game (I think new order) and hated it. I had to force myself to do enough of it to get to a decent enough percentage and couldn’t bring myself to do the hardest difficulty or any grinding. That’s why I’m not buying this new one lol. 

Did you see its already half price on the Xbox store? That’s the biggest possible hint of a game flopping imo, how long it takes the price to drop. 

Edited by turpinator1986
Typo oops

I'm not even sure if it did bad but I've been waiting for the Bethesda bubble to crash eventually so it wouldn't surprise me.

AC and CoD get ridiculed for yearly releases, yet somehow Bethesda pounds out like 5 linear shooters a year and no one says a word. Could never wrap my mind around that lol.

Probably lower sales than it should be just cos a few whinge bags wanna cry about a trophy, saying that I personally think the "trophy community" is pretty small in comparison to the rest, so I'm sure it did fine, it's always been a bit of a "niche" title anyway.

Fucking ace game :D

Can't wait for 3

• Like 1

It’s a critical darling, and a game destined to be long remembered and talked about, but you’re right - it certainly seem that sales are not great.

I doubt the trophy controversy made any material impact, as trophy hunters are a very small percentage of gamers. I also doubt that the current political climate had much to do with it, as I suspect that the number of people who base game purchases on political beliefs is far fewer than the games media would have us believe.

My guess is that the casual shooter crowd was waiting for CoD WW2. That crowd doesn’t care what reviews say - or even have exposure to the reviews - and so they won’t be deterred by the bad reviews for CoD. (Remember - that same crowd rejected Infinite Warfare, despite it getting the best reviews of any CoD in years, just because “it’s in space ‘n’ shit, innit? I don’t like space” ) 

The fact is that for the majority of shooter-first players (the less die-hard gamer crowd, i mean) the genre begins and ends with CoD. They were willing to experiment when they felt that CoD wasn’t delivering what they wanted (and so helped the sales of the first Wolfenstein reboot) but now that Activision is pandering to their desires with a WW2 setting again, (giving them what they think they want, even if the game is -from what I hear - rather poor) the appeal of a thoughtful, well crafted, plot driven single player shooter is marginalised.

Wolfenstein also seems to live in an odd crevice of the genre - it is closer in gameplay to a Bioshock or a Syndicate or a Singularly than to Battlefield or CoD, but seems to lack just enough of the single-player exploration itch of those games.

I’m not really sure why (I think all 3 Wolfenstein games have been fantastic) but I really think that is the case.

It’s almost like they are trying to market to a segment of the playerbase that doesn’t really care about single-player anymore, but failing to connect with those who do. 

Doom, in some ways had the same problem - sales were greater, but no where near what they should have been for a game of that callibre - but at least Doom has a universally well known name. Wolfenstein, while being a peer of Doom, and mentioned in the same circles, never had quite the mainstream recognition the Doom brand enjoyed. 

Maybe if Dwayne Johnson had been in a shitty Wolfenstein movie things might be different!

It’s a shame, but the one thing to Wolfenstein’s advantage is also it’s weakness - it is Single-Player only.

That means no huge sales boost based on friends encoraging each-other and creating a mass-zeitgeist, but it also means no great drop-off in interest when a new game comes along.

The great critical reception means it will likely feature in a lot of game-of-the-year lists, and should enjoy a long tail on it’s sales period for a number of years.

You never know - there is still time for it to be a sleeper hit in the long run.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Hardcore trophy hunters, those who wouldn't buy a game because of that one trophy, is such a small minority it wouldn't have any impact on sales. Not every player who bought the game is here on PSN Profiles. Just look at the numbers; % of people getting any trophy here on the site and % of people getting the same trophy when you check the game on your PS4.

Here's an example how a small portion of players use, and are tracked, here on PSN Profiles.

Doom owners 111 255 VS estimated sales according to various websites 2 000 000+

Not even 6%

Plus Black Friday pre-sale is going on.

Edited by theSpirae

Wolfenstein games in general don't tend to set the world on fire in terms of sales. Both New Order and Old Blood only sold 1-1.5 million on PS4 according to vgchartz. Wolfenstein 2 also released around the time of COD and other shooters and, as @DrBloodmoney alluded to, it is a weird genre that doesn't quite connect completely with the single player-only and multiplayer-only gamers. Bethesda games tend to drop dramatically in price so I imagine there will be a sharp increase in sales when that happens. I know that is what I am waiting for.

Could be a combination of a variety of viewpoints from different individuals. Some trophy hunters may be turned off by the prospect of not being able to platinum the game like you stated, or the buildup of a backlog and the release of the game in a fall season where lot's of games are being released or looked forward to could prevent people from jumping in and making the purchase. With some of the serious events going on in the world, the themes behind the game might be a little too sensitive to potential purchasers. 

I don't think the trophy has anything to do with it. I've been watching the stats, the only newer releases that have broken past 12k players have been CoD Yearly Title #Whatever and AC Origins. Titles like Wolfenstein 2 and Shadow of War got close but then just dropped a week after their release when another game came out.

2 hours ago, theSpirae said:

Hardcore trophy hunters, those who wouldn't buy a game because of that one trophy, is such a small minority it wouldn't have any impact on sales. Not every player who bought the game is here on PSN Profiles. Just look at the numbers; % of people getting any trophy here on the site and % of people getting the same trophy when you check the game on your PS4.

Here's an example how a small portion of players use, and are tracked, here on PSN Profiles.

Doom owners 111 255 VS estimated sales according to various websites 2 000 000+

Not even 6%

Plus Black Friday pre-sale is going on.

They're not hardcore then LOL.  You're right otherwise, though.  I tell people trophy hunters don't affect sales like they think -_-  Also, there are several other games that people want more, like Destiny 2, CoD, etc.  I think this game would have sold better, if it was delayed to say early net year (Jan/Feb time frame).

• Like 1

Coming out a week before CoD  and the same day as AC Origins probably didn't do it any favours. This whole season has been really crowded for games with another big AAA coming out every week (and sometimes twice a week like the week WSII and ACO released).  It's a similar situation as Titanfall last year where it was very well reviewed but sandwiched in between a bunch of other huge releases. It probably would have done better if it weren't released so close to other games like that. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/top-20-best-selling-games-in-the-us-for-october-20/1100-6455033/

In the month of october it ranked 14th for sales across all platforms in the US. Also, that excludes digital sales where some of the games above it include digital. 

Looking at the content ahead of it, I'd say it is selling well. 

Sometimes "some" trophy hunters have this arrogant outlook on sales of games. Like if the game is too difficult trophies then it means less trophy hunters will buy the game and it will effect sales. Trophy hunters are a minatory on game sales compared to non trophy hunters. If you go to any gaming store or gaming event and tell people you got 200+ platinums they really don't give a shit. Even Devs don't give a crap if you have the plat or not but as long as you've bought the game and enjoyed it for what it is then that makes the Devs  are happy (and spend money on micro-transactions :giggle:).  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DF007gamer said:

Sometimes "some" trophy hunters have this arrogant outlook on sales of games. Like if the game is too difficult trophies then it means less trophy hunters will buy the game and it will effect sales. Trophy hunters are a minatory on game sales compared to non trophy hunters. If you go to any gaming store or gaming event and tell people you got 200+ platinums they really don't give a shit. Even Devs don't give a crap if you have the plat or not but as long as you've bought the game and enjoyed it for what it is then that makes the Devs  are happy (and spend money on micro-transactions :giggle:).  

Shhhhh.  Don't tell them that -_- 

34 minutes ago, DF007gamer said:

I will say Trophy Hunters have a positive outlook on games but rarely a negative one. 

What  I mean by that is games like My Name is Mayo wouldn't have sold as many copies if it wasn't for trophy hunters...but games like Star Ocean 4 aren't going to see their sales affected horribly by trophy hunters not wanting to buy it.