Black Friday PSN Sale (EU)

Dragon-Archon

14 minutes ago, bmg_ps said:

Thought it was just me. 

Yeah, it's slower than usual

i am from portugal as well, the PSN store took ages to open ,.... so slow, first i thought it was my internet but then i saw your comments.. so general issue. And this sales... what is this??? i hope in 23rd November we might have something more then just this bs. It's Black Friday, the prices should drop way more then 40%....

Edited by PhantomBlade19

4 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

Judging by most of these comments I guess a lot of you already have terrific games like TW3 GOTY and Bloodborne GOTY. Picked up a couple of great deals personally including the latter and the Nathan Drake collection.

I've recently grown a fondness for digital over physical copies since I know somewhere down the line the Blu-ray reader is far more likely to die than the HDD. Not to mention loading and read/write speeds will always be bottle-necked by a Blu-ray reader as opposed to a decent HDD (doesn't even have to be hybrid/SSD). So I wouldn't mind paying a slight premium for digital versions if that were the case. Let's not forget, it's nigh on impossible to damage (through wear and tear) or lose a digital copy!

The only drawbacks I can think of are those who prefer to buy/sell once they're done with their copies, game share, or have limited connection speed/download limit. Perhaps also those who like to exploit glitches/bugs to circumvent troublesome trophies. And I suppose there are those who like to see a visual collection of their games (I used to be one of them) :D

Well if you ever lose acces to your account all your game purchases are for ever gonne. It's not so much a problem on playstation, but i've heard of quite a few unfaire bans on steam. Generally customer support is not to open about those. Brace yourself if there's ever a problem with your creditcard.

Also you cant resell digital games, which is kinda a big thing if capital is a valuable resource.

I do also prefer digital copies as to physical ones, but i think the former should generally be a little cheaper than the second cause the cost for production and distribution of those is just so much lower for publishers.

Edited by thekiffer21

It's seriously getting to the stage now where I think "Why bother buying games at regular price anymore?"

There are Easter, Christmas, Black Friday etc seemingly sales all the time now. I've been buying games ONLY on sale ow for over a year and I still have about 7 games yet to start. In this sale I got Tekken 7 at 40% off. Hell even the new South Park is already on sale.

I hope the fact that we have sales so often these days that this doesn't affect the games industry in the long run.

Suffice to say, surely companies like GameStop are going to go out of business soon.

5 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

It's seriously getting to the stage now where I think "Why bother buying games at regular price anymore?"

There are Easter, Christmas, Black Friday etc seemingly sales all the time now. I've been buying games ONLY on sale ow for over a year and I still have about 7 games yet to start. In this sale I got Tekken 7 at 40% off. Hell even the new South Park is already on sale.

I hope the fact that we have sales so often these days that this doesn't affect the games industry in the long run.

Suffice to say, surely companies like GameStop are going to go out of business soon.

You should only pay full price if you intend to play the game right away. I rarely pay more than $20 for a game. There's just no need to, my backlog is huge.

I wouldn't worry about the game industry, checking their profits, they're making more and more money every year.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:

I agree it's a poor sale, and that because I too was hoping for indie games. Not for quick plats, but because that's the kind of games I enjoy playing. Was just nothing in the sale that interested me, at all.

Like me, most of it does not interest me, only game that has caught my eye is Nioh, only because I have been wanting to play it for a while still and have not had a chance to.  But really, that's about all I want from there... maybe the season pass as well, not sure on that part just yet, but the game itself for sure.

But really, us guys in the EU region usually do get the short end of the stick pretty much every single time.  I mean think about it, America/NA gets good sales, then us guys... gotta get the second hand version of said sales.

I don't get why digital games aren't cheaper. Digital music is cheaper.

Anyway, I was a physical only guy for years but now I'm thinking of switching. PS4 installs your games so the HDD argument is out. Digital is more convenient, your disc drive is likely to wear out first,I'm highly unlikely to forget my password, I'm seriously running out of shelf room and despite my hype for pre-order bonuses they just end up shoved away somewhere.

So I'm really starting to think.

Back on sales, I think this might be the time I finally buy Gravity Rush Remastered. Been eyeing that one up for some time now.

Digital games aren't cheaper because of long term costs with server maintenance and bandwidth requirements.

For example if everyone downloaded a 40GB for their PS4 from SOny, deleted it and downloaded it again. EVERYDAY, FOREVER. Then Sony would probably go out of business from bandwidth charges. The fact people don't do that is because there is no need too. Sure the physical editions need delivery to the stores and once you have it, you have it forever, that's a more expensive one off cost but digital needs a model of constant revenue in order for the system to work. Technically everytime you download the same game you are effectively costing Sony money.

Digital games though are getting cheaper, which is a good thing and I suspect in the future will only get cheaper. In 5 -10 years, it might be the only way to get stuff, ala how the mobile market works.

5 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Digital games aren't cheaper because of long term costs with server maintenance and bandwidth requirements.

For example if everyone downloaded a 40GB for their PS4 from SOny, deleted it and downloaded it again. EVERYDAY, FOREVER. Then Sony would probably go out of business from bandwidth charges. The fact people don't do that is because there is no need too. Sure the physical editions need delivery to the stores and once you have it, you have it forever, that's a more expensive one off cost but digital needs a model of constant revenue in order for the system to work. Technically everytime you download the same game you are effectively costing Sony money.

Digital games though are getting cheaper, which is a good thing and I suspect in the future will only get cheaper. In 5 -10 years, it might be the only way to get stuff, ala how the mobile market works.

Ehm, nope. You still have to download lots of data with physical editions. And by this logic, there should be a difference between a 50GB game and 1GB game.

You can buy a disc version of a game and still need to download 10GB, or you can buy a digital version of a different game and download only 500MB. Pricing has nothing to do with bandwidth.

19 hours ago, MMDE said:

I agree it's a poor sale, and that because I too was hoping for indie games. Not for quick plats, but because that's the kind of games I enjoy playing. Was just nothing in the sale that interested me, at all.

Uncharted Lost Legacy for £14.99 and Earthlock for £3.99 is a steal got both but other than that yeah it is quite  poor

I'll pick up the Nioh season pass. Together with the main game that's €20,- at a game store I'll have the complete edition with €20,- discount (for €30). It's not the actual "complete edition" but it's the same thing anyway :) . + I'll have the main game physical.

Edited by Ric

9 hours ago, thekiffer21 said:

Well if you ever lose acces to your account all your game purchases are for ever gonne. It's not so much a problem on playstation, but i've heard of quite a few unfaire bans on steam. Generally customer support is not to open about those. Brace yourself if there's ever a problem with your creditcard.

Also you cant resell digital games, which is kinda a big thing if capital is a valuable resource.

I do also prefer digital copies as to physical ones, but i think the former should generally be a little cheaper than the second cause the cost for production and distribution of those is just so much lower for publishers.

You're absolutely right. If you lose access to your account then you're almost certainly screwed on this front. However, I would argue most people who have signed up to this site probably care about their account/achievements more so than others, and would most likely take that extra bit of care. I've also heard about Steam but as far as PSN is concerned, I'm yet to hear about any unfair bans, so as long as you're on the straight and narrow, with good account recovery info, you should be safe.

I did mention the caveat of buying/selling games, but statistically only a relatively small margin of users actually do this.

Also I do agree from a cost perspective, digital purchases should in theory be cheaper as server maintenance & culture is a lot more cost effective than manufacturing + distribution. However, if this were the case it would put a lot of small retailers out of business and they'd suffer a net loss in revenue as not everyone has access to digital platforms, and a healthy chunk of the audience prefer physical for reasons stated earlier. Developers typically adjust digital pricing based on shelf units remaining.

These days it's extremely rare for me to purchase games on release, so none of the above typically affects me. I don't have a lot of time to game and I have a backlog of over 100+ games so I tend to glance at sales and cross-reference with my wishlist from time to time. If there's a match with a good price then great! Otherwise, no big deal, just wait for the next sale.

Back on topic; I've been torn about picking up FFXV w/ season pass. I used to be a huge fan of the series from 7 all the way through to 13. Can anyone recommend this game or wait for a bigger sale?

Edited by Zolkovo
EDIT: Back on topic
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

Back on topic; I've been torn about picking up FFXV w/ season pass. I used to be a huge fan of the series from 7 all the way through to 13. Can anyone recommend this game or wait for a bigger sale?

Get it now! As a long time fan too I can say this game is pretty good and €30 for the complete edition is a great price. I just paid €20 for the comrades dlc alone.

15 hours ago, enaysoft said:

It also costs a lot to design, develop and maintain systems that are used for transactions and content delivery. I can imagine the investments to the PS Store have been BIG. And they have to purchase a lot of data storage space to host all those games somewhere. 

But yeah, I'm not very impressed with the sales. Didn't find anything interesting really this time. But Christmas and New Year's sales are right around the corner. :)

13 minutes ago, sephirothdude said:

Nier is very tempting but I've a feeling it might be cheaper in the xmas sales?

I'm sure it will be cheaper later on as well. It's one of the games I'm waiting for.

I'm torn between FF15 w/season pass or The Witcher 3 GOTY. Unfortunately I can't buy both.