How long have you been playing video games?

ShadowStar83x

4 hours ago, Ric said:

Can't remember, I think about 30 years since I was about 2 years old.

I can vaguely remember games like these on Atari.

hqdefault.jpgA2600_Pitfall.png

vanguard.pngVCS_River_Raid.png

I can name all them Boxing, Pitfall, Vanguard and River Raid

4 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

You're older than I am! :o

Yeah, we had a couple of Pong/lightgun/pinball self-contained no cartridge systems before we got the Atari 2600 in '77...I'm probably one of the eldest statesmen here on PSNP. Perhaps they should gather us up, create the Council of Elders and we can hold the youngsters accountable to properly carry on the gaming traditions.

Image result for council of elders

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

Perhaps they should gather us up, create the Council of Elders and we can hold the youngsters accountable to properly carry on the gaming traditions.

sign me in 

Started with the incredible ZX Spectrum 48K.

• Like 1

Around 20 years. When I was pretty young, I know I started playing on my father's NES and SNES and it really interested me. Playing Super Mario Bros. as Luigi and trying to figure out The Legend of Zelda with minimal help from him was always a blast. I kind of stopped gaming after he left us but got back into gaming around 04-05 with big sprawling PS2 JRPGs as some sort of escapism mechanism. Now I'm regularly gaming as a major hobby and do not plan on stopping anymore.

I would sit in my sisters lap when I was a year old watching her play the nes. That was back in 1988. I don't think I was more than 2, definitely younger than 3 when I was playing proficiently without assistance. 

Paperboy!!! 

And now I feel old.....

Edited by Dav9834

15 years.

I started with Crash Bandicoot 3 warped and all the Crash and Spyro games when I was 10, progressing to the Pokemon and Harvest moon games, DBZ, then JRPGs like FF and KH in my teens, and Tales series around 19-20. Just turned 25 now and still love FF and Tales, but I don't play pokemon or anything anymore. Recently I've gotten into otome and visual novel games after all the years of million hour RPGs. 

26 years. Started off with a Mega Drive in 1991 with six games built in (like how Singstar came installed with PS3 if you're too young too remember). I remember Sonic being on there and that was the first game I played, Streets of Rage was on there too, Golden Axe, Columns, and some motorbike racing game similar to Road Rash. I can't remember what the hell the sixth game was. 

I don't put anywhere near the amount of time into it as I did up to my early 20s (currently 30). I'll maybe get an hour on either one or two weekdays, and 3 - 4 hours on a Saturday. Which is pretty good considering I work full time, in a relationship and otherwise going for a beer or whatever with friends often. It's lower down the list of priorities, but I still love playing as much as I always have. That doesn't mean I wish I could still spend all day indoors playing like I did in my teens, having limited time reminds me to spend what free time I have doing something I enjoy and as long as I have that free time, gaming is probably something I'll never stop doing. 

Edited by FarSideOfSaturn
  • Like 2

I have been playing video games ever since the day I was born at age 5. I wasn't into JRPGs and other Japanese games that were localized in the west during the gaming eras. But as I grew up and started to learn why they are such a hit in the US by gamers who liked Japanese games, I became a fan of JRPGs, SRPGs and more since then.

First system was NES, playing Super Mario 1, 2, 3 and Captain Skyhawk. Started playing around age three or five can't remember exact age but very young. Been gaming ever since. Loved all my systems, but Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and Dreamcast are my favorite. Dark Souls series is probably my favorite modern games of all time. Donkey Kong Country trilogy were my favorite retro games.

On 11/24/2017 at 0:21 AM, The High Ground said:

I have been playing since I was a young padawan learner (about 5) now I am a Jedi Master (22) and still quite enjoy it.

On 11/24/2017 at 3:08 PM, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

Since around 1986-1987 or something like that. One the NES, baby! Didn't jump to Playstation until around 2008 though.

Obi-wan, young and old, in same thread lol.

Edited by TurdFlingingApe
  • Like 1

im 36, my dad bought a "intellivision" which was basically a atari. it had remote control type of controllers with a disc on the bottom. i would watch him play baseball and dungeons and dragons. he loved dungeons and dragons. for intellivision they hadnt mastered voices yet so it was just mainly a tone. when baseball would say "your out" it would sound like "YERRRRRGOUURURURURUEEU" which as i was about 4 sounded like a DEMON!!! then to top that off while watching dungeons and dragons it was a fairly calm game like dig dug almost crawling through a layer underground finding arrows. all of a sudden a MANIAC DRAGON!!!! would charge the screen shooting flames and making yet again demon noises. this immediately made me sscream and run out the room. also at this time i was watching movies like friday the 13th and pumpkinhead and etc. i couldnt get enough of that hardcore evil stuff even though it scared me.

my dad worked alot so he only took the intelivision out every once in a while. i kept getting curious looking for it. he had a small tv in his bedroom on the floor. i finally found it and started trying to figure out how to hook it up. (again i was only 4 i wasnt even tall enough to see on the kitchen table i remember measuring the top of my head one day with the table lol) eventually i got it to work. and started playing it. my parents divorced in 2nd grade, he left the intellivision behind and a cardboard box of atari games that were compatible. that was my first intro to gaming

nes came out but i lived in the ghetto and was very VERY poor. this is when if someone had a NES they HID it from you!!!! they didnt want people coming over and playing it because people wouldnt leave. my neighbor, a girl i was friends with had one. my sister would babysit her and told me they had a nes. i was totally there! my friend always fell asleep early playing with teddy roxspin lmao so onto the NES i went!!! then the parents would come home drunk and say i could stay a few hours and keep playing. i had to be only like 6 or something i dunno but i was coming home at like 2 or 3 am

after a few years i finally got a nes. my intellivision was stolen by my step sisters baby daddy who was a thieve. i left all my valuables at my dads because he was living now in a nice suburb while i was in the ghetto so i figured my stuff would be safer out there. i was wrong, this dude stole everyones stuff and pawned it

anyways, i still have the rest of my original systems. nes, turbo graphix 16, ps1, ps2, (i use to rent the 3d0) genesis, i had sega cd but returned it as a kid, wii, 5 ps3s, ps4, a arcade machine, gameboy, gamecube, and atari2600

so i been gaming over 30 years. im developing carpel tunnel in my hands now from it. i cant play fighting games at all. when i played dead island my right arm went numb up to my elbow for 2 weeks.

and thats my story! i have all my original nes games, turbo grapahix, (my sister sold all my genesis games grrrr!!) (my ex gf stole my super nintendo and n64 grrrrr!!) and i have at least 100 discs of ps3 ps4 games plus more

the picture below is a intellivision, this isnt mine but what mine looked like just in case any younger people have no clue

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by melodicmizery
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

im 36, my dad bought a "intellivision" which was basically a atari. it had remote control type of controllers with a disc on the bottom. i would watch him play baseball and dungeons and dragons. he loved dungeons and dragons. for intellivision they hadnt mastered voices yet so it was just mainly a tone. when baseball would say "your out" it would sound like "YERRRRRGOUURURURURUEEU" which as i was about 4 sounded like a DEMON!!! then to top that off while watching dungeons and dragons it was a fairly calm game like dig dug almost crawling through a layer underground finding arrows. all of a sudden a MANIAC DRAGON!!!! would charge the screen shooting flames and making yet again demon noises. this immediately made me sscream and run out the room. also at this time i was watching movies like friday the 13th and pumpkinhead and etc. i couldnt get enough of that hardcore evil stuff even though it scared me.

my dad worked alot so he only took the intelivision out every once in a while. i kept getting curious looking for it. he had a small tv in his bedroom on the floor. i finally found it and started trying to figure out how to hook it up. (again i was only 4 i wasnt even tall enough to see on the kitchen table i remember measuring the top of my head one day with the table lol) eventually i got it to work. and started playing it. my parents divorced in 2nd grade, he left the intellivision behind and a cardboard box of atari games that were compatible. that was my first intro to gaming

nes came out but i lived in the ghetto and was very VERY poor. this is when if someone had a NES they HID it from you!!!! they didnt want people coming over and playing it because people wouldnt leave. my neighbor, a girl i was friends with had one. my sister would babysit her and told me they had a nes. i was totally there! my friend always fell asleep early playing with teddy roxspin lmao so onto the NES i went!!! then the parents would come home drunk and say i could stay a few hours and keep playing. i had to be only like 6 or something i dunno but i was coming home at like 2 or 3 am

after a few years i finally got a nes. my intellivision was stolen by my step sisters baby daddy who was a thieve. i left all my valuables at my dads because he was living now in a nice suburb while i was in the ghetto so i figured my stuff would be safer out there. i was wrong, this dude stole everyones stuff and pawned it

anyways, i still have the rest of my original systems. nes, turbo graphix 16, ps1, ps2, (i use to rent the 3d0) genesis, i had sega cd but returned it as a kid, wii, 5 ps3s, ps4, a arcade machine, gameboy, gamecube, and atari2600

so i been gaming over 30 years. im developing carpel tunnel in my hands now from it. i cant play fighting games at all. when i played dead island my right arm went numb up to my elbow for 2 weeks.

and thats my story! i have all my original nes games, turbo grapahix, (my sister sold all my genesis games grrrr!!) (my ex gf stole my super nintendo and n64 grrrrr!!) and i have at least 100 discs of ps3 ps4 games plus more

the picture below is a intellivision, this isnt mine but what mine looked like just in case any younger people have no clue

maxresdefault.jpg

You take best story so far! Most happy and depressing at the same time ><

• Like 1

On 11/26/2017 at 4:05 AM, Dav9834 said:

You take best story so far! Most happy and depressing at the same time ><

thanks man i appreciate it. one part i could of elaborated more on is when i let my sister borrow all my genesis games and she sold them all because she thought they were hers. and i said no those were mine wth! and she said "oh...well, i didnt get that much for them" im like the price isnt my concern its my friggen childhood i was preserving you sold off for nothing lmao

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

thanks man i appreciate it. one part i could of elaborated more on is when i let my sister borrow all my genesis games and she sold them all because she thought they were hers. and i said no those were mine wth! and she said "oh...well, i didnt get that much for them" im like the price isnt my concern its my friggen childhood i was preserving you sold off for nothing lmao

I would have disowned her right then and there lol

But I've had family members do similar things, like taking the wrong headphones for my nephew after visiting ($60 difference!! ><). That actually just happened xD. 

• Like 1

For my 5th birthday, my grandpa and uncle gifted me their old Sears VCS. That was December of 1979. Prior, my parents had a standalone Pong machine, though I had no easy access to it (being that I was under 5, and it was kept in the attic unless we all played).

Games were much easier to play back then. The joystik on the Atari had one button and a stick, which made it perfectly easy for a 5-year-old to play it. The Pong game we had used paddle controllers, which again are easy for a kid. There's no way a 5-year-old today is making much headway with the Dualshock.