Any good?

MMDE

• 7 months later...

Ok, so double finished it and a bit torn as well about this one, but more towards the (-) side of town. 

Think I got fooled twice to be honest. Once when watching the trailer and expecting more, and the second one when entering the options menu to 'activate' the subtitles (that one hurt a lot ?)

For one, I did love the art style, was really into it (I like those Illustrator vibes, best software ever ahah). But then the rest, dunno, fell short to my expectations. Too slow, too linear (concerning gameplay, just pushing :l3: and :cross: and one hour later you've finished), and too clunky possibly.

As for the story, it lost me quite rapidly. Kinda made the effort in the second run but yeah...although I did like the back and forth between past/present (still made it confusing) as well as the scene switch while in 'movie' mode, it did bump me when those were happening while moving for some reason.

Also, wasn't this supposed to be based on real events? Cause yeah...seemed very real to me ? (or am I completely mistaken)

Trophies were interesting, I give them that.

In the end, I'll side with the most common view. Get it while on sale, in the end it never hurts to try original games. (and it's an easy plat to tap on your shoulder if you didn't like it)

• Like 1

I got it on sale only hearing that it was an easy plat and having no idea what to expect for the game. I was entertained by questioning what was going on, but I wanted more from the story. I also never knew about the subtitle options and they probably set them to off as a default to encourage players to make their own interpretations. It's fine as a 2-hour experience and there are better ones out there like Expand and Journey, but this one was very unique too.

• 7 months later...

I like indie “walking sim” style games (loved Datura and enjoyed most of my time with Journey-minus some of the multiplayer trophies, which were a MASSIVE pain) but this game left me wanting more. Honestly can’t remember if I knew about the subtitles or not (but I usually check settings extensively before I start a game, so I probably did). 

It’s an easy & short platinum, but one of those games that I wanted to love, but didn’t. The story is somewhat convoluted, IMO-but I rarely mind that if there’s something about a game that draws me in. This one really didn’t, unfortunately. But I bought it at a steep discount, so can’t complain too much. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting reading this thread.

I am, I guess what you might consider a target demographic for this game. I like short, relatively slow paced, walking games and since buying a PS4 in December last year have played and enjoyed, Firewatch, Last Day of June (Loved), Abzu, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Never Alone, Dear Esther, Sea of Solitude, Erica (Granted, bu the FIFTH play through that got tedious), Edith Finch, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and in that time multiple play throughs of Journey

Virginia, I thought was hot trash frankly.

My biggest gripes:

Story - was just utterly confusing. The only time it started to make sense was when she took LSD towards the end as that at least gave some sort of justification for the haphazard story.

The constant jumping around - this infuriated me. One of the things about all the previously mentioned games  (with the exception of erica) you could explore, or at least look at your surroundings. This, every time you started wandering down a corridor you suddenly teleported to a taxi, if you tried to take in what was on the walls at the cafe you suddenly teleported to somewhere else. Even the driving scenes, rather than letting you drive the whole journey it would jump around in segments. 

The one plus was it was on the PS+ Extra tier so cost me nothing apart from the sub. I will however give it another run through tomorrow just to get the plat. 

I have literally got a headache from the confused expression I have had on my face for the last two hours :')

Edited by daveM12DIM

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/4/2022 at 11:57 AM, MidnightDragon said:

I liked it, but the ending fucked with my mind.

This response I can relate to.

I simply cannot comprehend most, if not all plot endings in film/gaming/TV etc. having anything to do with ancient aliens or any related conspiracy. Two more (personal) examples of this I can name off the top of my head are Bolt (Disney animation) and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, both released in 2008 and have left me with questions lacking official answers.

Look, I’m not entirely opposed to plots with vague conclusions (demanding the audience make guesses to what may have occurred) but when there’s fucking aliens involved? You’ve lost just about all my attention.

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...