I come in peace!

Sicho

Hi there,

I've been on this website for a while now and sporadically post on the forums ... so I thought it would be nice to officially introduce myself ?

Now, what can I tell you about me?

I think I'm a "casual" trophy hunter although not all my trophies are from easy games. I normally limit myself to playing games I really like and if I don't like them, I won't go for the trophies. But if I really love a game, I try to get 100%.

One of my biggest gripes with PSN is that I cannot delete games from my trophy list that I don't own anymore (or never owned in the first place) just because I got a trophy or two in them. It gets on my nerves because the profile is not representative of my actual game collection.

In the last generation, I played tons of XB360 and less PS3, so I used to hunt Gamerscore before I hunted Platinums ;) Although I only have a handful of completed games on the Xbox. This gen, PS4 is my main console by a long shot. I also play on Steam but don't care about the achievements there a lot, for some reason. 

I consider myself a "platform agnostic", meaning I play on everything. I own a gaming PC and more or less all the consoles. I think there's too much good stuff on every platform so f.ex. being a PC gamer only just means missing out. For me, a passionate gamer just needs to own all the major platforms because if you really like games, there's always a title you just cannot miss on every platform. although this is less and less true for the Xbox One if you own a gaming PC and aren't turned off by the Windows Store - all the good Xbox One stuff is on there as well.

Although I'm a platform agnostic, I have a slight bias towards Nintendo. It's partly for nostalgic reasons but also because 9 out of 10 times I just really enjoy their output! I'm also somewhat of a Zelda collector.

I'm from Luxembourg in Europe. It's a small country and relatively unknown to non-Europeans so if there's anything you want to know about living there, just ask :D

What else might be interesting? I speak four languages and besides gaming, I like traveling, food, music (Punkrock mostly) and movies. I used to host a radio show and I work as a technician and trainer for a mobile network provider.

If there's something else you want to know, just ask me anything. :)

Thanks for reading, have a nice day and a shitload of trophy unlocks :D

• Like 4

A long and elaborate introduction. Welcome to the forum. It's a nice place to hang out and meet new people.

I like your opinion on gaming and platforms. If I had the money I probably would have bought a gaming pc as well. But since I will never afford so much money I chose the "peasant life" of a console gamer xP

But it's always nice to see people who don't take only one side but are more neutral.

German here btw, so I know Luxembourg. Always have to drive through when we want to travel to France xD but four languages sounds like a lot. I mean I learned about four foreign leakage myself but I can only speak two of them on an acceptable level. May I ask which languages you speak? And is it because Luxembourg has so many different languages? (Correct me if I'm wrong but you have two or three different languages in your country, don't you?)

15 minutes ago, Lagoon Aris said:

A long and elaborate introduction. Welcome to the forum. It's a nice place to hang out and meet new people.

I like your opinion on gaming and platforms. If I had the money I probably would have bought a gaming pc as well. But since I will never afford so much money I chose the "peasant life" of a console gamer xP

But it's always nice to see people who don't take only one side but are more neutral.

German here btw, so I know Luxembourg. Always have to drive through when we want to travel to France xD but four languages sounds like a lot. I mean I learned about four foreign leakage myself but I can only speak two of them on an acceptable level. May I ask which languages you speak? And is it because Luxembourg has so many different languages? (Correct me if I'm wrong but you have two or three different languages in your country, don't you?)

I speak Luxembourgish, German, French and English. All four of them fluently. Luxembourgish is the mother tongue, we learn the other three in school, German as soon as the first school year, French starting in the third year and English in the seventh or eighth. Depending on your path in our school system, Spanish might be added in the 10th year.

We actually have one "official" language, which is Luxembourgish, but have three administrative languages, Luxembourgish, German and French. Laws are f.ex. always written in French.

The reasons for that are quite interesting and complex. The laws are f.ex. written in French because the Germans invaded us in WWII and annexed us, making us a part of the Reich (and therefore also forcefully recruited Luxembourgers to the Wehrmacht) and after WWII was over, there was this need of getting rid of the signs of the Germanization that took place (a lot of people f.ex. were forced to change their names from Pierre to Peter or from Henri to Heinrich etc.) and so Luxemburg became officially Luxembourg and the laws are since then written in French.

Also, Luxembourg was once part of France as well and the Code Napoleon is still the base of our civil legal system. 

More info:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxemburg#Sprachen

Do you only drive through or do you make a stop to fill your tank? ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sicho said:

I speak Luxembourgish, German, French and English. All four of them fluently. Luxembourgish is the mother tongue, we learn the other three in school, German as soon as the first school year, French starting in the third year and English in the seventh or eighth. Depending on your path in our school system, Spanish might be added in the 10th year.

We actually have one "official" language, which is Luxembourgish, but have three administrative languages, Luxembourgish, German and French. Laws are f.ex. always written in French.

The reasons for that are quite interesting and complex. The laws are f.ex. written in French because the Germans invaded us in WWII and annexed us, making us a part of the Reich (and therefore also forcefully recruited Luxembourgers to the Wehrmacht) and after WWII was over, there was this need of getting rid of the signs of the Germanization that took place (a lot of people f.ex. were forced to change their names from Pierre to Peter or from Henri to Heinrich etc.) and so Luxemburg became officially Luxembourg and the laws are since then written in French.

Also, Luxembourg was once part of France as well and the Code Napoleon is still the base of our civil legal system. 

More info:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxemburg#Sprachen

Do you only drive through or do you make a stop to fill your tank? ;)

That's very interesting. And explains why must people there understand us Germans. I knew about Luxembourgish and French. Wasn't so sure about the third language but hasn't actually thought of German.

And if course we stop there to fill the tank and buy tobacco and coffee. That's most of the reason why we travel to France through Luxembourg xD

1 minute ago, Lagoon Aris said:

And if course we stop there to fill the tank and buy tobacco and coffee. That's most of the reason why we travel to France through Luxembourg xD

but there are other interesting things to see and do here... ;)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, paranoia_agent85 said:

So what are the roots of the Luxembourgish language? Is it just a hybrid language borrowing heavily from French and German or is it more distinctive than that?

This is, again, quite complex :D

It is somewhat a variety of German but with a shitload of French loanwords in it. It is very similar to some dialects in German like f.ex. those spoken in the Saarland, which are, I think, generally categorized as "moselfränkische" (Moselle franconian) dialects.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moselle_Franconian_dialects

Spoken Luxembourgish is relatively hard to understand for Grman speakers who are not familiar with the Moselle franconian dialects. However, they can usually read the language to some degree. I see that a lot on Facebook with my German and Austrian friends as well:, I post something in Lxuembourgish and they comment in German but as soon as I speak Luxembourgish, they don't understand a thing :D For those Germans familiar with Moselle Franconian dialects (f.ex. people from Trier or from Saarbrücken), it is relatively easy to understand and speak Luxembourgish as far as the everyday vocabulary is concerned. However, the large number of French loanwords in Luxembourgish may make a discussion about certain topics very difficult for them. Also there are certain speakers who use even more French loanwords (there are some dialects in Luxembourgish too and one of them is in the main capital, which uses a lot of gallicisms, which means that they use French words for some things even though there are perfectly usable Luxembourgish words available - it's the French version of anglicism ;) ) which would make it harder again for the Germans to converse with them.

Phonologically, I think it sounds a bit like a mix of German and Dutch.

10 minutes ago, bezdomnekoty said:

Welcome \o/ :D

17 minutes ago, paranoia_agent85 said:

Nice introduction, hope to see you around the forums.

I checked out your profile and it says that you enjoy JRPGS ... why aren't you playing Ys VIII yet? It's absolutely great and I have to push it on everyone hahaha :D It's also not too hard to plat ;)

Edited by Sicho
typos
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sicho said:

I checked out your profile and it says that you enjoy JRPGS ... why aren't you playing Ys VIII yet? It's absolutely great and I have to push it on everyone hahaha :D It's also not too hard to plat ;)

Oh it's most definitely on my radar, but so is Tales of Berseria, NieR Automata and Final Fantasy XII: the Zodiac Age. So many jrpgs so little time.

Your written English is superb by the way.

1 hour ago, dermarx said:

Welcome to the forum :)

This is very impressing. I only speak English and obviously german, so yeah... I'm impressed :) 

Lots of people say that but I often lose perspective about this because in Lux, virtually everybody speaks at least three languages.

But I would love to learn more languages because, besides English, the other ones aren't very useful outside of Europe. I was in Japan this year and that is a language I would love to learn but I think that would be a tall offer at my age and all ... I maybe should try Spanish, since it's a Latin language like French, I should be able to pick the basics up pretty quickly. I understand some Spanish when it's written and when I know the context since a lot of words are more or less spelled the same in French.

55 minutes ago, AlchemistWer said:

Wow I would like visit Luxemburgo, saw couple of imagen and looks nice and also with beautiful woods. Anyway, welcome! I hope you find a lot of friends here and enjoy all the forum can offer.

The City of Luxembourg (our capitol has the same name as the country, like Vatican, Andorra or Singapore f.ex) is very beautiful and yes, the country side is nice as well. We still have lots of green :) I myself live in the Moselle region, which is a wine region.
This is the little village I live in right now:

52201276fe1b1ca8a3959936ce5034dd.jpg

49 minutes ago, paranoia_agent85 said:

Oh it's most definitely on my radar, but so is Tales of Berseria, NieR Automata and Final Fantasy XII: the Zodiac Age. So many jrpgs so little time.

Your written English is superb by the way.

Thanks a lot!

I have NieR and FF12 myself. Still going for those plats!

• Like 1

Just now, dermarx said:

That's nice, very lovely

btw the part on the picture, where there's only forest and no vineyards... that's Germany :D

I live in a Dreiländereck, very close to Schengen actually. I have like a 3 minute drive to Germany and 5 minutes to France :D "Luftlinie" to Germany from my home is not even 1 km :D

13 minutes ago, Sicho said:

Thank you!

A fellow WWE fan I see. Not interested in 2K18?

You're a fan too? Awesome! :highfive: 

I am actually, just waiting to get my PS4 very soon. I'm worried about all the critics and bad reviews about the game from its players, but I'll just ignore them. I was strongly disappointed by the Superstar Ratings and Overalls.

1 minute ago, ee28max said:

I'm worried about all the critics and bad reviews about the game from its players, but I'll just ignore them. I was strongly disappointed by the Superstar Ratings and Overalls.

To be frank the game needs some more patches. It is very buggy and some design decisions are just ... weird.

You can have fun with it but it is far from perfect.

It's my first WWE game since WWE Allstars :D I was on a long wrestling hiatus. But now, I'm "back in" and even subscribed to the network, although I only follow the PPVs. Sometimes I watch one of the weekly shows but not regularly, I simply don't have the time. (or I need to cut down game time haha)

Sadly RAW and SD aren't on the network until a month after they aired ... otherwise I would probably watch them more.

3 minutes ago, MMDE said:

holy shit the 90s are back! ?

1 minute ago, Sicho said:

To be frank the game needs some more patches. It is very buggy and some design decisions are just ... weird.

You can have fun with it but it is far from perfect.

It's my first WWE game since WWE Allstars :D I was on a long wrestling hiatus. But now, I'm "back in" and even subscribed to the network, although I only follow the PPVs. Sometimes I watch one of the weekly shows but not regularly, I simply don't have the time. (or I need to cut down game time haha)

Sadly RAW and SD aren't on the network until a month after they aired ... otherwise I would probably watch them more.

Yeah, I noticed it's very buggy and it does need some more patches. I've had 2K15 on PS3 and got the platinum, but I disliked the 2K servers. Now I'm not sure if they improved. I guess I'l just find out. 

RAW and SD are watchable on the Network, unless I don't know what you mean. Oh, are you referring to the full shows? The PPVs are awesome and I watch them all. You can stop by at this thread and join the squad if you want :D 

1 minute ago, ee28max said:

RAW and SD are watchable on the Network, unless I don't know what you mean. 

Current episodes of RAW will be available 30 days after their original air date on USA network, they are not available right away. And 30 days later, I'm not interested in seeing them anymore ;)Sadly USA won't allow WWE to put the shows online right after they aired on TV. I can understand their decision business-wise but for the fans, it's unfortunate.

So I mostly just watch the highlights on YouTube and then the PPVs on the network.

But I enjoy a lot of the original content on the network like Ride Along f.ex.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sicho said:

The City of Luxembourg (our capitol has the same name as the country, like Vatican, Andorra or Singapore f.ex) is very beautiful and yes, the country side is nice as well. We still have lots of green :) I myself live in the Moselle region, which is a wine region.
This is the little village I live in right now:

Wow that's nice! I know what are you talking about, my grandfather's village is a wine region in Naples, Italy ?