Worth getting a second time?

AJ_Radio

I haven't been too impressed with how the remastered version of LA Noire turned out. As with other remasters it's essentially the same game only with all DLC added and then some. This version features new collectibles, which barely makes it worth the purchase.

There is no trophy list for The Consul's Car, which was a Traffic Case exclusive to the PS3 when it came out back in 2011. I see this as a missed opportunity since the people who handled this remaster surely could of added some trophies into it. If we got new collectibles to find, it shouldn't of been hard to add trophies for The Consul's Car.

Personally I just find playing this in 4K quality on a PS4 Pro to be utterly pointless. Granted the comparison videos on Youtube didn't do a good job demonstrating the differences. It looks the same to me as it does on a standard PS4. All I see is smoother gameplay on a newer console, and that's about it.

Last but not least the price tag is too much. $40 for what is essentially a six year old game with some touch ups and a couple new collectibles isn't worth it for me. I can get around the Nathan Drake Collection and the Ezio Trilogy both remastered for the PS4. You're getting three games for one, which is a good deal since all six of those games were sold for $59.99 when they first released. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year and The Witcher 3 Complete Edition add all the DLC, both were released at least a little over a year after the initial games came out.

LA Noire is a good game, I definitely enjoying playing through it and it was one of my first PS3 titles. But I think I'll just wait for a big price drop, maybe when it's around $15 or less in a sale. That's essentially what I did for Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition and The Last of Us Remastered.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

The only reason why I want to get this is because I love this game but I eventually want to get rid of my PS3.

I think I might prefer getting it on the Switch, because PS4 making the graphics better just brings out the flaws I think, but the Switch version has been poorly put together, it being 50% bigger than the PS4 version while every other multiplatform game I have has been smaller on the Switch, even the ones with exactly the same graphics as the PS4. How the Switch version of L.A. Noire can be 29GB while the 4K PS4 version is 18GB is beyond me. Yet they STILL want €10 more for the Switch version, even if you want the digital version.

3 minutes ago, sh4d0wzcs said:

I'm tempted to get it but fuck paying $89 for a remaster, I'll wait until its on sale.

I think if the price is worth it, I'd pay full price for a remaster. If L.A. Noire on Switch had been €40 and 20GB tops, I'd have bought it day one.

Hell, I just paid €60 for Skyrim!

2 hours ago, Cubone said:

I think if the price is worth it, I'd pay full price for a remaster. If L.A. Noire on Switch had been €40 and 20GB tops, I'd have bought it day one.

Hell, I just paid €60 for Skyrim!

New games yeah I'll pay full price if its got my interest, remasters? No, imho remasters should always be atleast half of a new game.

34 minutes ago, sh4d0wzcs said:

New games yeah I'll pay full price if its got my interest, remasters? No, imho remasters should always be atleast half of a new game.

Mèh, if it's a good remaster... I never finished Skyrim and playing handheld sounded appealing. Note that this isone of the rare exceptions for me, usually with remasters I wait for a low low price too, but to me there are exceptions.

I'm considering getting this today because I liked the game so much and I never finished the other DLC packs. I know I could just buy them for the PS3 but I haven't played the game in four years. However, the $39.99 is a bit high for me. Maybe if it was $19.99 or $29.99 I'd be more encouraged to buy it.

It's a really good game that's for sure BUT! There is no replay value because let's be honest, the whole game is situated upon the story and trying to demystify what's going on. Once the suspense is going, aka once youre done with the game, it becomes the sort of thing were youve done it all and see it all.

I really loved the game a lot however, I wouldn't want to replay it just because at this point it'll be dull going through everything when you know what's going to happen. So personally I wouldn't buy it again but it was a really good experience that unfortunately can't be replicated if I buy it again

11 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

I wasn’t planning on getting this a second time as I’ve 100%ed it on PS3 but then I thought about it and remembered how much I loved playing it plus I love movies from the 40s or set in the 40s (like LA Confidential which is a fitting example here) and I decided I’ll get it again. I will however be waiting for a big price drop because as you said full price for an old game isn’t worth it no matter how good the graphics may look now (I haven’t seen any comparison videos). The game is NZ$90 here which seems very steep. Dragon’s Dogma which is one of my top ten favourite games is half that for the PS4 version and I’ll spend well over 100 hours on it like I did on the PS3 version which is far more than it takes to 100% LA Noire.

I know you guys pay more for items like soda so I expect video games to be no different.

LA Noire was never everyone's cup of tea. When the game launched in May of 2011 a LOT of used copies managed to find their way back to the Best Buy and Gamestop I used to frequent. That was probably a good time to pick up the game for cheap. But in all honesty a lot of people were fooled by the Rockstar label, thinking it was going to be a Grand Theft Auto style game set in the 1940s only to find out it was much different than that.

If this game ever drops below $15 I'm definitely going to purchase it. $20 is as high as I will ever go, anything more than that isn't worth the price tag for a past generation title.

The Witcher 3 Complete Edition can be gotten for cheap if you know where to look. Definitely a RPG worth playing if you're into the genre, but I'm going to have to set aside a whole month to get it all done.

9 hours ago, Cubone said:

The only reason why I want to get this is because I love this game but I eventually want to get rid of my PS3.

I think I might prefer getting it on the Switch, because PS4 making the graphics better just brings out the flaws I think, but the Switch version has been poorly put together, it being 50% bigger than the PS4 version while every other multiplatform game I have has been smaller on the Switch, even the ones with exactly the same graphics as the PS4. How the Switch version of L.A. Noire can be 29GB while the 4K PS4 version is 18GB is beyond me. Yet they STILL want €10 more for the Switch version, even if you want the digital version.

That is ridiculous, if anything I think the Switch version should of been cheaper. 29 GBs for a remastering of a six year old game probably means they didn't bother to compress any files, let alone make it presentable enough for people who never got to play it last gen.

I'll just wait for a big price cut.

4 hours ago, Garbodor said:

It's a really good game that's for sure BUT! There is no replay value because let's be honest, the whole game is situated upon the story and trying to demystify what's going on. Once the suspense is going, aka once youre done with the game, it becomes the sort of thing were youve done it all and see it all.

I really loved the game a lot however, I wouldn't want to replay it just because at this point it'll be dull going through everything when you know what's going to happen. So personally I wouldn't buy it again but it was a really good experience that unfortunately can't be replicated if I buy it again

That's pretty much every detective game, walking simulator and linear open world game you're going to play.

A few exceptions would be certain games like the Fallout series, Skyrim and Witcher 3. The outcomes can be different depending on your choices which is one of the big reasons why so many people love RPGs. But with linear experiences like LA Noire and the Sherlock Holmes games, there is no reason to play through them again. Maybe if you wait several years then they would seem a little fresh to you again, but that all depends if you like these kinds of games. Personally I really enjoy them, I wish more developers would go and make more rather than just a generic Call of Duty game or the traditional Grand Theft Auto sandbox game. I'll pay good money to play a good, deep thought provoking detective game set in modern times.

For anyone wondering I will get to Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls eventually.

Edited by Spaz

I loved it when I played it on PS3 but I dont see much point in doing it again. Only reason I am playing South Park Stick of Truth again is because it came free with the Fractured Gold Edition. I am still hanging on for a LA Noire 2 though, so many possibilities for them to go with either the 50s, 60s, 70 or even 80s. Its a fools hope though ?

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

That's pretty much every detective game, walking simulator and linear open world game you're going to play.

A few exceptions would be certain games like the Fallout series, Skyrim and Witcher 3. The outcomes can be different depending on your choices which is one of the big reasons why so many people love RPGs. But with linear experiences like LA Noire and the Sherlock Holmes games, there is no reason to play through them again. Maybe if you wait several years then they would seem a little fresh to you again, but that all depends if you like these kinds of games. Personally I really enjoy them, I wish more developers would go and make more rather than just a generic Call of Duty game or the traditional Grand Theft Auto sandbox game. I'll pay good money to play a good, deep thought provoking detective game set in modern times.

I'd like to iterate that it's a personal choice and that was just my take on it. 

I agree that we can say that then for other games with my logic but you're slightly over generalizing. 

I mean I did enjoy sleeping dogs and shadow of Mordor, bioshock series again on ps4 because there was also the gameplay element that could vary and stay fresh

I do not see how the gameplay in la noire will be different which was what I meant that once you've done it once, you've seen it all. That's just my opinion though and at the end of the day rebuying a game again boils down to personal choice

6 hours ago, Garbodor said:

... I replayed L.A. Noire four times already xD

Yeah only the first time it was 'new' but I've had at least a year in between playthroughs and I still enjoy it.

Then again, I've also seen plenty of movies and shows multiple times. I'm not that bothered by knowing the twist already after the first time.

22 minutes ago, Garbodor said:

I'd like to iterate that it's a personal choice and that was just my take on it. 

I agree that we can say that then for other games with my logic but you're slightly over generalizing. 

I mean I did enjoy sleeping dogs and shadow of Mordor, bioshock series again on ps4 because there was also the gameplay element that could vary and stay fresh

I do not see how the gameplay in la noire will be different which was what I meant that once you've done it once, you've seen it all. That's just my opinion though and at the end of the day rebuying a game again boils down to personal choice

I didn't even get through Bioshock once, I was so bored, and I too double dipped Sleeping Dogs and Mordor (the latter twice on PS4 because apparently the GOTY couldn't use the old save), but I didn't like them as much the second time around.

Guess you're more into gameplay replay and I'm more into story replay.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

That is ridiculous, if anything I think the Switch version should of been cheaper. 29 GBs for a remastering of a six year old game probably means they didn't bother to compress any files, let alone make it presentable enough for people who never got to play it last gen.

I don't think the Switch version should have been cheaper (we're getting the same full game after all, it's just portability over graphics) but just as expensive for sure, especially the digital version. I get how small indie companies sometimes ask a few bucks more because they have to pay another company for the porting job, but this is Rockstar we're talking about.

And yeah definitely a compression fail. I've heard that TakeTwo refuses to do any cuts on the visuals or modes for the Switch because they want the Switch to get the same full game the PS4 geta but damn, dudes, most of us are playing in handheld mode anyway. Their basketball game was also insanely big.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I'll just wait for a big price cut.

Same here.

I can't really say it would be worth buying again, especially if the dlc isn't included.  I just played it on ps3 this year because I found a physical copy at game stop for $3. I didn't hate the game and found that I liked the story, but there were a lot of times when I was playing that I found myself just wanting to turn it off.  I will, however, try to buy the dlc so I can 100% it.

Edited by wafflestomper810
Spelling correction

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

Guess you're more into gameplay replay and I'm more into story replay.

Yea I suppose. I do enjoy a good story, equivalent to gameplay but idk man I just can't recreate the original experience of I'm replaying a game just for its story. 

There will be exceptions obviously which is totally understandable

46 minutes ago, Garbodor said:

Yea I suppose. I do enjoy a good story, equivalent to gameplay but idk man I just can't recreate the original experience of I'm replaying a game just for its story. 

There will be exceptions obviously which is totally understandable

Yeah I fear I won't like replaying Horizon Zero Dawn, that plot twist was so amazing and weirdly wonderful to realise for me and theorise about afterwards... That's a game I just couldn't enjoy as much the second time around, because the twist is what makes this game so brilliant to me. Already knowing the twist(s) would make it definitely less of an experience, in my eyes at least (I recently saw one person on this site who mostly played the game for the gameplay, and they enjoyed their second run).

Contrast games like L.A. Noire, or Portal 2, which have stories and twists of their own, but with these games my enjoyment didn't mainly lie with the twist of the story (with L.A. Noire it was the L.A. Confidential-type setting, with Portal 2 it was the gameplay and humour), which is why I can enjoy them time and time again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SirPigFace said:

I loved it when I played it on PS3 but I dont see much point in doing it again. Only reason I am playing South Park Stick of Truth again is because it came free with the Fractured Gold Edition. I am still hanging on for a LA Noire 2 though, so many possibilities for them to go with either the 50s, 60s, 70 or even 80s. Its a fools hope though 1f622.png

I would love to see a spiritual successor of some kind. Right now the industry is too much into blockbuster games like Destiny 2 and multiplayer to really be concerned about making a good AAA detective game. With the technology people have now they can do all sorts of things to make a detective game stand out. Heavy Rain was a marvel when it first came out in 2010.

3 hours ago, Garbodor said:

You're mostly solving clues and closing the book on cases in LA Noire. Granted there is a bit of gunfight play involved and having to chase a suspect down on foot and in vehicle, but those were never the main focus.

I have Sleeping Dogs, Shadow of Mordor and Bioshock on my PS4 when I get around to them sooner or later. I really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and Shadow of Mordor so I wouldn't mind playing through them again.

Personally I just feel they could of done more with LA Noire, such as adding trophies for The Consuls Case DLC and making the graphics stand out a little bit more from the original. Rebuying a game is personal choice, but I'm not spending too much money on something I've already done, and know that it barely adds anything as far as content goes. That's just me though.

• Like 1

Just now, Cubone said:

Yeah I fear I won't like replaying Horizon Zero Dawn, that plot twist was so amazing and weirdly wonderful to realise for me and theorise about afterwards

Oh man tell me about it! The story had me in awe and I just thought it was perfect to leave the story be but I ended up doing a second run for ultra difficulty while focusing on the environment and gameplay and it payed off! Lol although my HDD hates me after all of those scenic photos xD . Man I llove that game and it's my personal goty for 2017 hands down