King of battle's Something Something Chronicles Returns

kingofbattle8174

7 hours ago, Jens said:

Whenever you decide to go for Dead Cells you have to tag me in your opinion posts, because that's one of these rogue-whatevers that will stay on my radar for a while. I heard good things about it, but after watching it for a while it seemed to get somewhat dull, but I might be mistaken. So an opinion after some time with it would be appreciated :P 

I decided to get Wizard of Legend first as my next rogue-whocares, but only God knows when I'll get around to it.

Sure I will keep you posted. I can tell you some of my initial thoughts after playing it a few times. It really gives me vibes of Symphony of the Night. Which was one of the first two PS1 games I owned. I actually owned games before I even had a memory card. So I had to restart each time. Which is similar to now. After each death you start over from almost nothing. The part can be frustrating is that the levels change after each death. I have enjoyed the experience so far but can see it will be a grueling plat depending on how skilled you are on these types of games.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 6:31 PM, Jens said:

Whenever I see any "kill boss XYZ without getting hit" achievements it already makes me anxious :P And those seem to be the roughest. But I got some roguelites on my belt, so one day... who knows :P It's at least on my little wordpad file I keep around if I ever get my huge games done.

But I'll let you suffer first. Seems logical and fair to me.

It is further back on my to do list. Working right now on the few things to get to my 20th. After that we will see. Im not sure if I will tackle this first or do I do SOTN when it comes out end of Oct. I hear that plat will be a chore as well. I  am interested to see the list for that game. 

In sports, my bears are amazing me today. As of right now 6 TD’s for the day and allowed none.  Not bad for a game they were predicted to lose. I am anxious for the Cubs game to start. Hoping they win and for a Brewers loss. If not tie breaker game tomorrow or worst case Wild Card game Tuesday.

I finished a short story today. I mentioned it in the Anime event. It is actually a novella based on the Deathnote series. If you are familiar with the series, it makes it easier to understand the plot of this book. If you are a fan, it will give you some insights, of events before the show began and the training center that created L and the others and why they exist.

Plat #17

Game of Thrones

Getting ever so closer to number 20. This game was fun and the story was very compelling. The graphics could have used a little work around the edges. Literally as around the characters seemed to be a little choppy at times and could be distracting. I wont go too far into my sadness about never being able to play the sequal. That topic has been talked long enough. 

So what games are left to 20?

Puzzle Showdown 4k  9/17

The Town of Light

Tokyo Xanadu 49/52

Next book complete: 

Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire.

A pair of girl twins find themselves in a land that is a cross between Wonderland and Ravenloft. A good portion of this story is about how parents have this preconceived notion about how a child should be and try to fit the child into that mold instead of just letting them be who they are.

Gaming wise I am changing things up a bit. I decided to start The Stick of Truth. I forgot how much I loved the game and the fun originality of it’s trophy list. So it will be 19 or 20 depending on which I beat first. We will see if either of these becomes part of the numers challenge since there is still plenty of time left. 

Ahh the joy of South Park. I spent several hours becoming reacquainted with really one of my favorite rpg games. Of course kids are now coming home so now it has to wait another day. But I knocked out a good portion, stopping right before the first visit to the school. 

I also went shopping today. I picked up a few of the PS+ titles and a few sale games plus some others that looked interesting.

Games Added:

The Bridge

2064 Read Only Memories

Rocketbirds 2

Fe

My Brother Rabbit

The Midnight Sanctuary

Jack n Jill DX

Demetrios

Randal’s Monday

Plat #18

Puzzle Showdown 4K

A simple relaxing game that only take a few times to complete. You do have to complete 50 puzzles but of you put it on the lowest setting which is like 28 pieces, each only takes a minute. But where is the fun in that? The puzzles are all really amazing looking and there is enough variety that even with having to play 50 times you might never have to do one twice. I think I will keep this game on the harddrive just to do a bigger puzzle for fun once in awhile. The 520 piece option is a good challange as is trying to do one in less than two hours.

• 2 weeks later...

General update:

I am very pleased with my progress in 

my two games. We will see which game is actually completed first. In South Park I finished the story and now just have the clean up. Going around to get the last few

friends and buying all the gear. In Tokyo Xanadu, I finished my prep work before starting the final dungeon. Then all is left is the epilogue. The final dungeon is long though broken down to like six areas before the boss. I did also start Jack N Jill. It is very interesting. I find it weird that they made the trophies so easy and left it so you do not have to really even complete the game to get the 100%. I will not get that though until I finish my other two games. I want them complete first.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:55 PM, kingofbattle8174 said:

Ahh the joy of South Park. I spent several hours becoming reacquainted with really one of my favorite rpg games. Of course kids are now coming home so now it has to wait another day.

Nowadays, parents are letting their kids watch South Park. I dunno about that. These people need some serious parenting counseling. xD

I had seen two episodes of South Park - one where a dog was found to be gay and discussed LGBT rights, and another was the World of Warcraft episode - it was being shown during a game development college course I attended. (They also set up a GameCube and played Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World as well. :) I know people will call me a prude but I am not really into games with really tasteless content in it but these writers decided they want to offend everyone who watches the show as a joke so who am I to judge?

1 hour ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Nowadays, parents are letting their kids watch South Park. I dunno about that. These people need some serious parenting counseling. xD

I had seen two episodes of South Park - one where a dog was found to be gay and discussed LGBT rights, and another was the World of Warcraft episode - it was being shown during a game development college course I attended. (They also set up a GameCube and played Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World as well. :) I know people will call me a prude but I am not really into games with really tasteless content in it but these writers decided they want to offend everyone who watches the show as a joke so who am I to judge?

I used to watch it off and on before but not for awhile. I do have standards for my kids. They don't watch South Park, Simpsons, Family Guy or any thing similar. On the same token, I won't play a game or watch a show that is inappropriate while they are around. I completely did Stick of Truth while they were in school. 

Platinum #20!!!

Tokyo Xanadu

I had so much fun with this rpg. I may have to pick up the PS4 version just to see the extra material. Even though I did three playthroughs coming in at almost 125 hours, I don't think I ever got tired of it. The characters and plot were something that could be an episode of bleach without being called it. You can do this game in two playthroughs but I did three. There are three semi tough trophies that I did not want to couple together. One is getting the top rank in all dungeons. This can only be done the second time through with the extra content unlocked in new game +. You also have a hard mode and infinite mode which makes enemies levels boost up another 40. So by doing the second go around on easy and just focusing on S ranks and whatever other trophies I needed at that point. I was at almost level 70 I believe for number 3 and close to 95 by the last boss which is more

than enough as long as you have enough health potions.

Plat #21

Jack n Jill Dx vita version 

I had this on hold to finish up while I needed to complete the epilogue for Tokyo Xanadu. It took me all of five mins to finish up the mini game and buy something from the store. This is a fun cute little platformer. It is weird though when they make trophies for games so easy that don't include the entire game. There are a good number of levels and unlockables for this game but the trophies only cover the bare basics. Another one I found like this was Midnight deluxe, where the max you had to get to was the 40th level but there was more than double  that amount of areas to complete. 

On 10/15/2018 at 6:14 PM, kingofbattle8174 said:

I did also start Jack N Jill. It is very interesting. I find it weird that they made the trophies so easy and left it so you do not have to really even complete the game to get the 100%.

Yeah, JNJDX is probably the easiest platinum to get which isn't mind-numbingly tedious. If you want to platinum a rogue-like which has some bite to it, I recommend Devious Dungeon. I managed to platinum it as my 77th and it only took a few hours as it's a side-scrolling platforming RPG as well. You'll get the best armor halfway through the game and I only got to Level 22 before I beat the game, then I just kamikazed against the beholder boss a few times to get the final trophy. It's pretty fun. :)

Almost to my 80th platinum and I know what I want it to be.

You've got some really good books on your pile. I've read a number of them and very few were disappointing. 

Golem and the Djinn was fantastic. Got mine from a bargain bin but would have been worth full price, one of the best books I've read in years, absolutely loved it and so did the wife after I pushed her into reading it.

Legend is a book I re-read every year or two since I first came across it decades ago. Would love to see a film adaption but it would likely get screwed up as the characters just aren't one-dimensional enough for Hollywood.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kevvik said:

You've got some really good books on your pile. I've read a number of them and very few were disappointing. 

Golem and the Djinn was fantastic. Got mine from a bargain bin but would have been worth full price, one of the best books I've read in years, absolutely loved it and so did the wife after I pushed her into reading it.

Legend is a book I re-read every year or two since I first came across it decades ago. Would love to see a film adaption but it would likely get screwed up as the characters just aren't one-dimensional enough for Hollywood.

Enjoy!

There are some really good books there, out of that list that I have read so far I can think of only one where I walked away disappointed. I have read maybe between 1/4 to 1/2 the books before at lest once, some many times. The first book I crossed off, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is one I have read many times. It is funny you mention Golem and the Djinn, I have it from the library on my nightstand ready to go. Along with a few others from the list. I own a bunch more, some not even read yet. Legend I still have to find a copy. El Paso Library system has a few Gemmell books but that is not one of them. Right now I am doing American Elsewhere. It is a good little supernatural tale of small town America. I say little but it is over 600 pages. I'm over half way invested, so making progress.

On to other news. This weekend was one of my daughter's 11th birthday. She had a Harry Potter theme for the whole weekend pretty much. A party with home made floating candles using tea lights, home made wands for the guests and all kinds of other stuff. My wife and step daughter out did themselves to make this happen. Then just family stuff yesterday so not much gaming happened as you could imagine. I did have a few moments as things quieted down last night and completed my 22nd plat, the PS4 stack for Jack n Jill Dx. I will keep playing it though, I want to finish it all, or to me it would be a waste of money. I also played and finished the demo for London Detective Mysteria. This is the first VN type I have really played. Not the most remarkable for my first foray. Maybe the cheesy plot and dialogue along with the over glamorized artwork are supposed to be part of the charm. I don't get it yet.

So much going on right now.

Well lets start off with 100% #10

1S1bf64f.png

Firewatch

For the most part this was an enjoyable experience. The game is just long enough for the plot. There are a couple trophies for going out of your way and enjoying other parts of the game but nothing to hard. The game itself is beautiful to see and the banter between to two characters really makes the game. The only unfortunate thing is that I had to do it twice. My save on day 77 would not load so I was stuck having to delete the entire save and restarting. I had already completed all the optional trophies, so it just a matter of getting through the story again. Not a huge pain for a game this size, which is fun anyways.

Next book completed- American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett

Some places are too good to be true.

Under a pink moon, there is a perfect little town not found on any map. In that town, there are quiet streets lined with pretty houses, houses that conceal the strangest things. After a couple years of hard traveling, ex-cop Mona Bright inherits her long-dead mother's home in Wink, New Mexico. And the closer Mona gets to her mother's past, the more she understands that the people of Wink are very, very different ...

This was book 27 off my list. It was a pretty good supernatural tale for this time of year. Having read a few of his other books, there is a similarity between this book and City of Stairs. A lot of which is what you see on the surface is not what is really there. The next book I am reading is the classic, The Neverending Story.

I am also excited that with this last completion it took me over my 50% completion goal that I set on the New Year. Of course since I signed up for the next KYC, it will drop some in the next month but I am planning to raise it up again before years end. I may even return my Bulls competition for some extra incentive.

Happy Halloween everyone!!!

So to begin with, two new games are added to the backlog in preperation for KYC. Both are retro goodness that I cant wait to dig into.

Castlevania Requiem

Halloween Forever

I also completed a few books. Both are classics in a way and fitting for the season.

Book one is The Neverending Story by Michael Ende.

This is another one off of my top 50 standalones. It does show its age compared to more gritty modern work but it is a classic. A couple things I found interesting. One I did not know this was a german novel at first. The othernis that only less than half of the book is what made it into the first movie. More specifically, the first half. The whole rest is about Bastian’s time in Fantasia. Some of those elements were used for the second movie but very loosely. The first movie though is almost spot on with minor tweeks here or there. 

The second one I read to my kids. The Witches by Roald Dahl. Nothing better than a book of witches for the season. I never read this book as a child but I kind of remember the movie. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy new year everyone. So as a year in review numbers are alot more than I was expecting to do. 

Plats completed: 27

Non Plats completed: 12

Starting completion PCG: around 25%ish

Ending PCG: 48.26%

That being said I made my one goal of 15 completions for the year. I was by one point over my other goal of a 50% completion rate but KYC did cause it to go down some as well as some other starts. So what are the goals for 2019? Hmm well I think another 20% raise is possible. I want to as well get over 50 plats as my other goal. I will also keep up with my books as well. I have been slacking with my book reviews as of late but I will get back on track.

I never updated my post for my last plat and non plat from before the new year.

Plat # 27

1S66d0e9.png

Undertale: Don't You have anything Better to do?

I used this game to fill in a spot at the last second for The Gaming by Numbers challenge. Honestly, I was not impressed with it. It is a semi cheap easy game, and that what you get. I really did not enjoy the tweak on the combat system so you don't have to fight every enemy and the minigames in the middle of every battle got annoying. You arn't going to have enough money to do the whole shrine and then have to slowly backtrack. Well there is the boat, and I found an easier method to raise coin than the guide gives. I found that the shop in Temmie village will give you 100 gold for each of your starting gear so you get 400 gold for the toy knife ETC. much simpler than the other methods.

100% # 12

17S4d62e2.png

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse - Episode : The Mystery Deepens

Not a bad mystery drag and click adventure. I have had this game for some time so it is nice to finally get it done. I will have part two done in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

The Food of the Gods by H. G. Wells

My first finished read of 2019. A lesser known work by Wells but a pretty good one. The basics are two scientists create a growth substance that makes things grow to stupid level big of anything that takes it in be it plant, animal or human. It starts out on a contained farm, but the workers are sloppy so it gets out into the countryside and now you have giant wasps and rats. around the same time one of the scientists gives some to his infant son making him the first of a giant breed of humans. Normal people try to suppress it, and contain the outbreaks but it is out there and spreads. The giants are forced to the point where they fight to be treated in a humane way. Some of the language can be hard to read being a book written over 100 years ago, but the content is very good.

Plat # 28

1S6d07be.png

Little Adventure on the Prairie: Big Adventurer

Technically this will be done tomorrow, as it is part of the 10 things I hate about games event. Since it starts at midnight, I have this ready to go except the last level. I will not be on then so I am doing it now. This was not a fun game. easy yes, fun no. I mean if the only way to win is to find the hidden little ledge above each enemy and strike as for most enemies sitting here makes you unhittable. it feels clumsy and awkward though, and your jump is about useless and you are as slow as a sloth. If not for this event, and even with it, I feel bad beating this game. It feels cheap and not worth the plat.