What are you reading?

Rankineer

Just finished the first book of seven in The Chronicles of Narnia.

The Magician's Nephew

Really great book.  C.S. Lewis actually wrote this story after The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe but put it first in the series.  A great introduction to these books.  Really excited to read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and get a different perspective than the movie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

silence-of-the-lambs-book-185x300.jpg

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

Read through Red Dragon two years back and been meaning to follow up with the sequel. I've seen the film and always thought this story was lackluster compared to Red Dragon, so before picking up the book I had to lower my expectations. I like Harris' minimalist writing style however this arc is not very great; It's unfortunate because I want to like this arc but it doesn't hold a candle to it's predecessor. 

Also still reluctant to pick back up the last 200 or so pages of The Way of Kings. I like some things about it but I'm just not too sure about it - there feels to be something lacking. I keep hearing about the sequel being glorious so I may use my free audible passes for a good listen.

I've been without a smart phone for a while now. Now I finally got a phone that is capable of at least reading epub files, so I can read some things I can't get in my local library.

51yuu1JuGSL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My first book from the new official canon. Had to start with the book that centres around the origin of my nickname, Quinlan Vos. I'm about halfway through, a really good Star Wars book, the story really got me hooked. Recommended for any avid reader who is also a Star Wars fan :)

• Like 1

Throne of the Crescent Moon

Throne-of-the-Crescent-Moon-UK.jpg

Halfway through the book. It's sword and sorcery fantasy, but with less focus on the typical tropes and more about different setting and characters. Not so much action or anything, but more about the world, the settings and characters. Pretty short book. It's has an Arabic setting, and it's not just a swap of the characters and monsters etc from the typical medieval setting, but instead seems to have focused around the setting to decide what the characters and the monsters etc is like.

I know this is typical for Arabic countries, but the word "God" is literally mentioned like in average at least 2 or 3 times per page. Usually used in a form I don't care much for, where they thank God for all the time for their own achievements etc, without seeing any sign that there was any kind of divine intervention going on and not just hard work on the part of the characters in the book. It's like someone thanking God for someone surviving a difficult surgery, when the hard work of the doctors and the people behind the technology used were the ones that made the difference and not some supernatural intervention. Not really looking to start a discussion about this, and it very much depend on your theology, like if it's predetermined etc, but this is happening like several times per page. As I said, I do understand this is quite typical in Arabic countries, which is this book's setting.

Lords_of_the_Sith.jpg

By popular opinion, this is currently the best book of the new canon. I'm in to the last three chapters and I have to agree. You really get some more insight in to Darth Vader and his thoughts. So you understand him much more. The book is set about 5 years after Episode III. The story itself is told through different perspectives, from Vaders, some Imperial officers and some of the leading Twi'leki Rebels, including Cham Syndulla, father of Hera Syndulla from the Star Wars Rebels animated show. That connection makes everything even better and a more interesting read. So another great book for a Star Wars fan.

• 2 weeks later...