What are you reading?

Rankineer

ac-brotherhood-novel.gif

im not reading anything at the moment but my mother bought me this a few days ago, i havent gotten round to reading it yet but it is the next one im will be reading

Consider me jealous :P

Right now i am reading bloodlines of the illuminati, pretty huge 634 page book, but i somehow manage to fit it into my timetable with work, gaming, family and internet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

tumblr_ljnycpKrfn1qh5ofz.jpg

Finished...

Then read...

dune-messiah.jpg

Finished...

Currently reading...

FrankHerbert_ChildrenOfDune_1st.jpg

Not really a BIG fan of Herbert...he's rather long winded and pompous in his vocabulary. It's like he likes to use big words so he can show that he knows big words...and he rambles a lot like a sophomore high school student trying to meet a 500 word limit for his book report.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished...

Then read...

Finished...

Currently reading...

Not really a BIG fan of Herbert...he's rather long winded and pompous in his vocabulary. It's like he likes to use big words so he can show that he knows big words...and he rambles a lot like a sophomore high school student trying to meet a 500 word limit for his book report.

His covers look interesting. Obviously, the saying tells to not judge a book by its cover though. What's it about?

His covers look interesting. Obviously, the saying tells to not judge a book by its cover though. What's it about?

Spoiler used for those wanting to discover for themselves.

Dune

At the time of the original novel Dune (1965), House Atreides is led by the Duke Leto Atreides I. His concubine is the Bene Gesserit Lady Jessica; she had been instructed by her order to bear only female children as part of their breeding program, but out of love for Leto, she bore him a son: Paul Atreides. This seemingly innocuous choice would drastically change the course of mankind forever.[2]

A millennia-long feud exists between the Atreides and the decadent House Harkonnen, who have essentially bought their status while the Atreides are related to the Emperor by blood.[3] The fact that an Atreides once had a Harkonnen banished for cowardice in ancient times is still bitterly remembered some 10,000 years later.[3] The Atreides are lured to the desert planet Arrakis under the pretense of taking over the spice-mining operation there.[2] The spice is the most valuable commodity in the universe — it makes interstellar travel possible, extends life and can unlock dormant abilities in the Bene Gesserit — and Arrakis is its only known source.[2] But Leto and his family are caught in a plot to destroy them, orchestrated by the Baron Harkonnen and Padishah Emperor Shaddam Corrino IV himself, who is threatened by Leto's rising power and influence.[2]

An attack on the Atreides, assisted by a Harkonnen traitor in their midst and the Imperial Sardaukar soldier-fanatics, results in Leto's death. Paul and Jessica flee into the desert and are presumed dead; they find a place with the native Fremen, who believe Paul is their prophesied messiah, the Mahdi. Jessica gives birth to Leto's daughter, Alia; whom the Bene Gesserit call an Abomination because Jessica, while still pregnant, underwent the ritual spice agony, thus inadvertently awakening Alia to full consciousness in the womb. Paul himself decides to go through the spice agony to test whether he may be the Kwisatz Haderach, and succeeds. As a result of Jessica's earlier choice to have a son, the goal of the Bene Gesserit breeding program; the Kwisatz Haderach was born a generation early, went unnoticed and lived outside of the Sisterhood's control. Soon Paul is able to amass an army of Fremen, their fierce fighting skills enhanced by training in the Bene Gesserit weirding way. He and his Fremen concubine Chani have a son they call Leto, but the boy is killed in infancy as the battle for Arrakis intensifies. Now called Muad'Dib, Paul leads the Fremen forces to victory over the Emperor's Sardaukar on Arrakis, and by threatening the destruction of all spice production manages to depose Shaddam and ascend the throne in his place.[2]

http://en.wikipedia..../House_Atreides

There also is a 1984 movie of the first book w/ Patrick Stewart, Dean Stockwell, Sting, Linda Hunt and Max von Sydow playing supporting roles.

http://youtu.be/Cg06ZBdHb5M