What are you reading?

Rankineer

52 minutes ago, Rowdi said:

My favorite author. Check out The Way of Kings when you get a chance. He also did an excellent job finishing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. 

I haven't read anything in a while. I may fix that later today. :hmm:

Way ahead of you man. I've read tWoK about 5 times, and WoR twice. Also read the entire WoT series more than once. I personally think the two books before the last book are the best two in the entire series. Not sure if that's because of the way he writes or because so many plot lines get wrapped up. Probably a bit of both. 

Have you read Warbreaker? It's a stand alone by him that's pretty interesting. Elantris was the first thing I read of his, and I immediately picked up Mistborn when I finished it. 

I actually went to a book signing of his when Firefight released. He's a pretty cool guy. Always good to meet another fan. 

You should check out the Lightbringer books by Brent Weeks if you like these. The first book is The Black Prism. 

33 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

Way ahead of you man. I've read tWoK about 5 times, and WoR twice. Also read the entire WoT series more than once. I personally think the two books before the last book are the best two in the entire series. Not sure if that's because of the way he writes or because so many plot lines get wrapped up. Probably a bit of both. 

Have you read Warbreaker? It's a stand alone by him that's pretty interesting. Elantris was the first thing I read of his, and I immediately picked up Mistborn when I finished it. 

I actually went to a book signing of his when Firefight released. He's a pretty cool guy. Always good to meet another fan. 

You should check out the Lightbringer books by Brent Weeks if you like these. The first book is The Black Prism. 

Yep. I'll  read pretty much anything he writes. I started with the Mistborn trilogy and couldn't put them down. The last book of his that I read was The Shadows of Self and I have no idea why I haven't read the next book yet. It may very well be what I pick up next.

Legion, Steelheart, Infinity Blade and even Rithmatist (not his best, but still good) are worth a look too. Also, I've only read each book of the Stormlight Archive once. I have to step up my game.

I'll check out The Black Prism too. Thanks for the heads up. :highfive:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Manitou by Graham Masterton

Described as a cross between The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby. I wasn't sure if it would be interesting, but now that I'm more than halfway through I felt it tells an interesting story and is pretty creepy in some parts. Apparently there's a god awful movie on this, don't know if I'll watch it.

Image result for chasing venus

2 outta 5 stars...a VERY DRY book.

Related image

3 outta 5 Stars. Didn't enjoy this as much as the first of the series. However, I believe that parts of this book may have been the inspiration for what happened in the 3rd Matrix movie.

Image result for interview with the vampire book

4 outta 5 stars....a great classic read.

Wasteland1_final_front.jpg

Currently reading...

Edited by PSXtreme_
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Just started rereading Catch 22. One of the funniest books of all time :D

It had some chuckle moments for me. M*A*S*H by Richard Hooker was both a better war book and comedy IMO. Nevertheless, The best comedic book of all time still has to be The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. No contest at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamescush147 said:

Just finished:

Carrienovel.jpg

And just started:

220px-Salemslothardcover.jpg

Yeah gonna try to read all of King's books in order. Including the Bachman works. I've tried this before but never make it. -_-

King has always been a little hit or miss with me. I love the Gunslinger series though.

• Like 1

If anyone is interested in fantasy books with well written characters and a good story, I recommend these. Currently re-reading the series for the second time (6 books total, my e-books come in a trilogy with 2 books per "book"):

Image result for riyria revelations

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PSXtreme_ said:

It had some chuckle moments for me. M*A*S*H by Richard Hooker was both a better war book and comedy IMO. Nevertheless, The best comedic book of all time still has to be The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. No contest at all.

I love MASH (book, movie and tv show) but I honestly found it darker than Catch 22. I mean they attempted to burn a man alive (I mean it was water instead of gasoline...but still)

Regardless both are great books as is Hitchhikers :)

• Like 1

Honor Harrington series of novels by David Weber. It's written deliberately as a science fiction homage to C.S. Forester's body of work. The main character is a naval officer for the Star Kingdom of Manticore, a space analog of the Kingdom of Great Britain, and comes off as a female, space faring Horatio Nelson. She even ends up losing an eye and an arm at one point. The bad guy in the series is the People's Republic of Haven, which is the space version of Revolutionary France. And Earth is at the center of a large star nation that everyone tends to ignore. The propulsion method of the space vessels in the books causes all armament to be restricted to broadsides and fore and aft chasers like an historical sailing vessel. And there's talk of "ships of the wall", being similar to the old tactic of sailing warships in a line to maximize their firepower, except space is 3 dimensional, so the warships in these books line up into a wall. The books are written in black and white terms, and there's never any real danger of the main character failing to beat the bad guys, but they all make good books to read on an airplane.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 1:35 AM, Juzota said:

TLOU.jpg

http://www.keithcourage.com/tlou/

I've read about one fourth of this and like it a lot. There's a link for you guys if you are interested. It's free for all.

That definitely looks interesting!

I'm reading The Female of the Species, which is not the sort of thing I usually read, but it's not bad so far.

Ancillary Justice, which takes place in the distant future, but the book never explains how far. The story is told in the first person by an AI that is simultaneously a troop transport in orbit around a planet, each one of the transhuman enlisted soldiers on that transport, as well as the various soldiers stationed on the planet below on detached duty. And you experience the transitions as the main character shifts its consciousness between each of these physical locations as each are experiencing different things and talking to different characters. Sometimes in the span of a single paragraph. Eventually, something tragic happens that causes the main character to be "consolidated" down to a single body, then it tears off on a quest for vengeance against the ruler of the polity it lives in, known as The Radch, who is also a single consciousness that simultaneously inhabits thousands of bodies scattered across space. Also, when the central characters are speaking the official language of The Radch, the gender neutral pronoun is "she" instead of "it", and there are no other existing gender specific pronouns like "he". So characters are continuously referred to as "she" or "her", regardless of whether or not they are actually male or female. Also, when the main character has to speak a different language that does differentiate between genders, it continuously gets the pronouns wrong. When you read this book, very little is explain about your place in time, how things got the way they are, or how space travel works. Characters can be in multiple places at once doing multiple things at once, and you're never very sure what gender they are. It's a rare novel in that it's won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, and the Arthur C. Clarke Award, and been on the New York Times Bestseller List all at the same time.

• Like 1

I am currently editing my novel so I am refraining from reading anything. However I am midway through Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. Which I shall resume once I have finished this portion of editing. However I usually read at least one book a week.

My office library (pictured) consists of either my favourite works, or intended reads. But I mainly enjoy classics, with Dante Alighieri, Homer and Poe being among my all time favourites.

Hopefully later this year when it releases I will see my novel posted on here with people reading it.40d0b94a71.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...