What are you reading?

Rankineer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Image result for department nineteen

YA isn’t my normal go to genre; but I thought I’d give at least the first book a try from my local libraries monthly reading list. I’m hoping for something similar to Skulduggery Pleasant because that series was a surprisingly pleasant read (sorry not sorry).

Also, been on a bit of a graphic novel binge. Reading the following in the 12th Doctor’s years: 

Spoiler

Image result for doctor who graphic novels 12th doctor terraformerImage result for doctor who graphic novels 12th doctor terraformerImage result for doctor who graphic novels 12th doctor terraformerImage result for doctor who graphic novels 12th doctor terraformerImage result for doctor who graphic novels 12th doctor school of deathImage result for doctor who graphic novels 12th doctor sonic boom

Still need to read Hyperion, The Wolves of Winter, & A Confusion of Angels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Image result for how to stop time

No real expectations for this, the blurb simple caught my attention. As is its purpose for once instead of the numerous 3 word praises you find on most books these days. 

Finished up Department Nineteen, I gave it 3/5 stars on Goodreads with a snippet of my thoughts on it. 

Spoiler

The book has some great action sequences with plenty of gore I wouldn't have expected from a YA novel. You'll get tie-ins with the fictional classics (Dracula, Van Helsing, & Frankenstein). On the down side I found the character development rushed (physically & mentally), & the twists were set up nicely, just not unexpected. Strong ending though, I will continue with the series down the road.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 1:01 PM, PSXtreme_ said:

My 4th time reading...STILL is worth the time it takes to get thru the 1050 pages....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for any fan of Sci-Fi....

Are you a Scientologist? No judgment, BTW, but if you are not, I think you and I are the only non-Scientologists that enjoy that book.

Anyway, for me:

Image result for thinking fast and slow images

If you want to amazed (and, often, depressed) at how irrationally you think and act, this book is for you. It's amazing how your brain is wired to handle things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Good luck with that. Best definition for Hitler's writing prose - stale. 

If you want a far better book to understand his thinking, read Volker Ullrich's biography on him. 

If you take a closer look you'll see that it says "Mein Krampf" which translates to "My cramp" or "My strain" or "My nonsense". Not interested in that shit (the real concoction I mean).

Your suggestion, on the other hand, sounds interesting. Might give it a shot some time.

Edited by fastflowdaman

I tend to read a lot of books at once so my actual currently reading list is 17 books long. The two that I have been most actively reading lately are:

18131.jpg and 38447.jpg

I am 27% done with A Wrinkle in Time and 76% done with The Handmaid's Tale.

My full list of books I am currently reading is:

Annihilation (Southern Reach #1) by Jeff VanderMeer

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire #2) by George R. R. Martin

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Series #1) by Stieg Larsson

Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter #5) by J.K. Rowling

If They Come in the Morning... edited by Angela Y. Davis

It Devours! (Welcome to Night Vale #2) by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Make Trouble: Standing Up, Speaking Out, and Finding the Courage to Lead by Cecile Richards

Manifold: Space (Manifold #2) by Stephen Baxter

My Sister's Bones by Nuala Ellwood

Rage Becomes Her: The Power of Women's Anger by Soraya Chemaly

Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray & What it Means for Modern Relationships by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jethá

The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself by Michael A. Singer

Watership Down by Richards Adams 

A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintent #1) by Madeleine L'Engle

• 4 weeks later...

I'm listening to the audiobook of The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss during my commutes. I read it when it came out 8 years ago and recently decided to listen to it while waiting for the next book.

As for sitting down and reading a book, I'm reading Paddle Your Own Cannoe by Nick Offerman. I'm only a couple of chapters in, but it isn't exactly what I expected. I thought it would be funnier, but perhaps that will come. It's still an interesting read.

ImageHandler.ashx?q=9781784753771&w=&h=3

22 minutes ago, Neocarleen said:

I’m currently reading through the Animorphs series. I really missed out on them as a kid, but I’m enjoying them now!

Better late than never, getting into good old Animorphs. The show and books were the shit in the 90s.

@AmarisSkye I'm kinda the same way with reading, I got like 4 or 5 books on pause right now. You got some great reads in that list though!

@jonesey46 You went big for just getting into comics. If you're intereated in some context when you're done with the book I would suggest The Great Alan Moore Reread on tor.com. They look back on all of his comics, big and small. If I remember right Watchmen was given special attention over 4 or 5 entries.

@LordShavron Wise Man's fear was pretty great, I wish Rothfuss would finish the trilogy already! 

I'd been looking for something to pull me back into reading for like a month and The Murderbot Diaries finally did it. I'm on the third one now and it's really exciting and interesting sci-fi. They're only novellas so they save space by leaving the worldbuilding in the background, but the world definitely come through by the end of the second one.

Image result for the map of time

Super stoked to be getting around to reading the first book. I've already read The Map of the Sky (loved it) & yes I frequently read series out of order. If you like science/historical fiction I would highly recommend this trilogy. 

Also, finished How to Stop Time: I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It's written in first person which typically I avoid, but it was amazing as well.  

Edited by Gretchen27

Image result for bunny drop     Image result for library wars

Still reading The Map of Time, but also started reading a volume of Bunny Drop or Library Wars in the evenings. 

Bunny Drop is a slice of life manga that follows a 30yr old bachelor who ends up raising his 6yr old aunt. Sounds pretty tame by manga concept standards, right? For the most part the chapters are predictable, but it has its good moments sometimes. Currently on vol 4. 

Library Wars takes place in a not so far off future Japan where censorship by the government has got the libraries up in arms. Literally. Libraries have set up a special defense force to protect their collections. There's of course a romance sub element done in a more humorous than serious way. As an avid reader, the passion that comes through for the freedom to read is great to see. Wished I'd have started this sooner. Currently on vol 5. 

I just finished up a couple of rereads. The first was Something From the Nightside by Simon R. Green, a cosmic horror noir with a deep, dark sense humor. Horror noir. Even my mind stumbles over that pair, let alone my tongue. Anyway, I liked this one better the second time around and immediately followed it up with the sequel Agents of Light and Darkness. I can see this series getting better with each entry and look forward to picking up #3.

I also reread Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore. Moore is one of my favorite authors and it's a real joy to go back when it's been 6 or 7 years since I checked in with his stuff.

Now I just need to decide where to go next. There's 3 books on pause I could finish or maybe something new.